“so good!”
Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #22 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I stayed at the Coco for 9 nights, over the Christmas holiday. I had reserved a room for myself but then had 2 friends decide to travel with me for part of my stay, and they were easily accommodated in my room for a minimal addtl charge, the room had 1 queen bed and 1 twin bed and was located on the ground floor. Linens and towels were fresh and clean, toilet paper was provided. The minifridge was cold. I never saw a cockroach or bug in the room/bathroom. (well, except for a few mosquitos, but thats a given ;) ) The shower water was hot, the AC worked great, but I only needed it once as the ceiling fan was very effective. I never had a problem with the internet. I never turned on the tv. They offered to clean the room more times than I let them.

There is definitely a family feel at the Coco, there were several nights that I sat arnd the bar with other happy travelers and there was great chats and laughter, and it was fun to have the adorable children out and about during the day and in the evening. The other guests were all very friendly and hospitable as well, I had lots of invites- for good eats, activities, etc. More than once a local asked me where I was staying and when I said the Coco they burst out in smiles, 'oh Ian and his wife, aren't they great?!' I loved that I was staying in an establishment that was viewed positively by the community.

The location is great, just a short walk to downtown/dicso/bar area, or the publico taxi to get to cabarete/puerto plata, restaurants a plenty on the same street, 2 mini markets within 3 mins walk. I never took the moto, I always chose to walk, but there were always plenty of motos out front if I had so chosen. There are 5 different beaches (3 of which I stumbled upon, maybe theres more) within a 10 minute walk, the private beach (< 2 mins walk) is gorgeous, and most certainly private. The manager, Ian, was very friendly, down to earth and very helpful with advice abt how much things should cost, things to do, places to eat, making my other travel arrangements, scuba diving, changing money, etc. I left for the airport predawn and both Ian and his wife, she is also very friendly, had gotten out of bed to see me off, so kind!

I felt very safe (single white female), very welcomed, taken care of, and watched out for. I have budget traveled all over the world and the Coco delightfully exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank d w

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at Coco Hotel on a whim. I e-mailed the owner the night before and they saved a private room for me, which was very cheap and clean! The website for the hotel stated that it had a private beach, but you don't really believe it until you see it! Just a 1-2 minute walk through the forest behind the hotel, you find yourself standing on a 500 foot stretch a soft sand, surrounded by rocks and cliffs.You can snorkel here and venture out to the beaches down the way if you're a decent swimmer. The hosts (who are a Canadian woman, her son, and his family) were very accommodating and easy going. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank StacyG947
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The staff and family were super helpful! The location is great with the access to a beach a short wall out the back door and a longer walk to town. The community built here is super open and welcoming to all walks of life.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 2, 2013

When I was picked up by Ian at the airport my leg was the size of an elephant’s trunk. I had just torn my MCL and ACL. When we arrived at the hotel he arranged for me to have a room on the ground floor. My leg was in an immobilizer and I had no crutches. For three days Ian and Marlane brought me bags of ice for my knee. They set up a lounge chair outside of my room so I could sit by the pool comfortably and ice up my leg. If I needed something they got it for me. When I needed to get medicine they took me. I had never met Ian or Marlane and they treated me like family. They even arranged to get me crutches so I could experience Sosua on my own. Cool, relaxed, great people, excellent service and a fantastic vibe. CoCo Hotel is where I will be spending my next vacation. It is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. Next time I plan on staying longer. IF you ever find yourself in Sosua you would be doing yourself a disservice staying anywhere else. Excellent Experience, Can't say enough.

Room Tip: There is a room on the on the second floor west side of the building that has a sweet balcony overlo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The owners are two of the coolest people you will ever meet. They will do anything for you . And their kids are the cutest . This place rocks !!!! Only minutes from downtown and really quiet !! Can't wait to go back !!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank jm1950
Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you expect a 5-star hotel for $30 a night then you will be dissapointed. But if you need a safe, clean, and afforrdable place to crash, then the Coco will suit your needs quite well. I stayed for a week with my friends and find the staff very accomodating to our requests. They really went out of their way to help you. The guests here come from all walks of life and are genuine characters. The location is 3 minute short drive to the center of town which is very convenient. I will definetly come back here if I were to visit DR again.

Room Tip: definetly visit see the beach behind the hotel!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed in Coco for years and i recomened it to anyone it as everything i love it so much i go back everytime cant waite im going back in september i feel its so friendly Shelly and her family come to pick me up from the airport and they treat me like im one of the family the rooms are excellent service excellent only good things i can say about Coco Hotel and only good things i can say about Shelly and her Beautiful family they ate the best for sure !!!

• Stayed: February 2013