“Good Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 39 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Metairie, Louisiana
“Good Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you expect a 5-star hotel for $30 a night then you will be dissapointed. But if you need a safe, clean, and afforrdable place to crash, then the Coco will suit your needs quite well. I stayed for a week with my friends and find the staff very accomodating to our requests. They really went out of their way to help you. The guests here come from all walks of life and are genuine characters. The location is 3 minute short drive to the center of town which is very convenient. I will definetly come back here if I were to visit DR again.

Room Tip: definetly visit see the beach behind the hotel!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stayed in Coco for years and i recomened it to anyone it as everything i love it so much i go back everytime cant waite im going back in september i feel its so friendly Shelly and her family come to pick me up from the airport and they treat me like im one of the family the rooms are excellent service excellent only good things i can say about Coco Hotel and only good things i can say about Shelly and her Beautiful family they ate the best for sure !!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank muuuuuuuuah
Sosua, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Well..this is defiantly not the first time I have stayed at The Coco Hotel and it most certainly will not be the last!

Thanks so much to Shelley, Ian & Marlane and Jane for your stellar hospitality!

There is never a dull moment at The Coco Hotel! ALWAYS a great time surrounded by wonderful, kind people and tons of laughter creating unforgettable memories.

Keep up the great work guys! It’s such a pleasure to have an “At Home” feel when you are travelling!

Room Tip: **if you repeat your stay they try to keep you in the same room as you were in your last visit!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I travel to sosua alot have put alot of business the hotels way and told alot of my friends to stay there also. THIS TIME IN MARCH WAS THE LAST!!!
Shelly the owner was very rude towards me and insulted me calling me an english [--] could not believe my ears. She is a horrible rude person and gave us the worst room.COCKROACHES FILTH NO WATER PRESSURE. we didnt even get undressed or get in the bed. Shocking!!! will not be returning sorry Ian

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Naomi69
Central MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

And I mean loco in a good way. I stayed at the Coco from 12/31/12 to 2/9/13 and enjoyed every minute. The Coco is clean, secure, economical, and fun. The Coco is not foo-foo, pretentious, or for cry babies. The secluded private beach is worth the price of admission. The cast of characters that stay in the hotel or frequent the bar will keep your interest up and spirits high.

The Coco offers basic rooms(I did not see the one larger room above the owner's apt.) for an affordable price. A queen bed, refrigerator(!), end table, dresser, and bathroom. That's it. There is no shelving in the bathroom, so storage is sparse. I brought a collapsible bucket to hang on the door and store some toiletry stuff.

Shelley, the owner, is accommodating of her guests. There is a kitchen for general use, but an apparent electrical problem rendered it inoperable. When I return, I'll bring an electric skillet to cook breakfast. The bar is the central spot for congregating, and was the scene of a few wild nights. The hotel is located in more of a residential section of Sosua, so you get a feel for the local rhythms. A lady cooks next door and there is a convenience store a block away. Across the street is a moto stand, and is convenient even when they rip off the gringos by charging double what locals pay for a ride into town(50 pesos, $1.25). The Wi-Fi signal was good enough to do some limited streaming of Youtube, but not HD.

There was no food service when I was there, but found that many restaurants would deliver meals to the bar on a motorcycle. That became my preferred method, especially for the marinated grilled chicken. Yum yum. They don't clean your room every day, but every two or three days. No big deal for me.

The Coco is not for everyone. During my stay two women checked in, one single, and one with her husband. The single gal checked out after three days, and the married one was a bit put off by the scene in Sosua in general, but seemed to enjoy the Coco. I would venture that if you're not an adventurous woman, this is probably not for you. But if you're an adventurous guy, the Coco is worthy of consideration.

The little problems did not bother me much, but you should be aware of them. The power went out, usually during the afternoon, about 3 times or so a week for 30 minutes to several hours. Some people complained of no water or no hot water from time to time, but I did not personally experience this. Some jerk was drinking at the bar, singing loudly, and annoying guests in their rooms. Oh yeah, that was me. Sorry.

I was looking for a place that was oriented primarily to single guys, and I found it here. I look forward to my return to the Coco.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank topdeckgames
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We landed at Puerto Plata around noon. Ian, the owner, came and picked us up at the airport for $15. By 2pm we were at the beach, accessed by a short jungle trail. The snorkeling was amazing, but a long swim to get out to the reef. Not a problem with fins. A short walk down the street is a small store to buy some beers. The hotel has a palapa bar that was a fun hang out late at night with lots of different nationalities to talk with about our plans for three weeks of backpacking around the DR. It's not the quietest street around, but I had no problem drifting off to sleep to the sounds of merengue way in the distance. The next morning there was coffee and a friendly kitty-cat to greet me at the bar. At the end of our three weeks we stayed again the night before flying out. It's a wonderful place to say hello, and goodbye to the DR. I'd go back anytime!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Hi just did a trip (first time to The DR) on advice from a sigle buddy. I looked up read the reviews on Coco hotel, so I thought I would give it a shot. First nite dropped my bags after a long day of travelling went to the little outside bar down stairs, which is part of the hotel (did not even really look at my room). This is were I met Bernie and Judy tending bar, Judy is quieter but she knows whats going on were as Bernie (such a great guy he is also a new buddy for me) is a riot he is full of life stories of his travels around the world. From that moment on I had nothing but fun, it was like the tv show Cheers, different people showing up thru the nite/day, some local expats some visiting thru. Met some very nice people even a Irishman with a dog that has has a tail like a pig and a guy who has now become a friend Eric from England/USA/DR who took me under his wing. There is a corner store across the road for some of your essentials ie water beer or what ever, local ladies walk right by you at the bar selling fresh fruit so dont have to get that from the store.Your about 3-5 min by taxi to the strip like area, not the best place for couples or ladies (after the sun goes down) but awesome for the guys.Food was great try out the Jolly Roger great place Canadian owned so you feel at home. Back to my room, it was clean one bedroom with a full bathroom mine had a/c which I never used because the time of year (Jan) was not to bad on the heat/humidity. I used the fan tho at nite. The owners were away(one is a fellow Canuck) who I never met maybe next time. Exchange your money asap it just makes it easier (best day for exchange is Wed, or just get it from the bank ATM as you need ( make sure its a proper bank at banking hours to avoid any little machine problems). Anyways long story short, if you are a single guy or traveling with a wingman, get yourselves a room each go down to the bar say hi to Bernie/Judy and start enjoying yourself. telling them Steve the old fireman said hi...Im savin my useless Canadian pennies now to head back .

Room Tip: ask for one near the back of the complex, DR is a little louder than most N Americans are used to du...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo