“Coco Loco!”
Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #22 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Reviewed March 1, 2013

And I mean loco in a good way. I stayed at the Coco from 12/31/12 to 2/9/13 and enjoyed every minute. The Coco is clean, secure, economical, and fun. The Coco is not foo-foo, pretentious, or for cry babies. The secluded private beach is worth the price of admission. The cast of characters that stay in the hotel or frequent the bar will keep your interest up and spirits high.

The Coco offers basic rooms(I did not see the one larger room above the owner's apt.) for an affordable price. A queen bed, refrigerator(!), end table, dresser, and bathroom. That's it. There is no shelving in the bathroom, so storage is sparse. I brought a collapsible bucket to hang on the door and store some toiletry stuff.

Shelley, the owner, is accommodating of her guests. There is a kitchen for general use, but an apparent electrical problem rendered it inoperable. When I return, I'll bring an electric skillet to cook breakfast. The bar is the central spot for congregating, and was the scene of a few wild nights. The hotel is located in more of a residential section of Sosua, so you get a feel for the local rhythms. A lady cooks next door and there is a convenience store a block away. Across the street is a moto stand, and is convenient even when they rip off the gringos by charging double what locals pay for a ride into town(50 pesos, $1.25). The Wi-Fi signal was good enough to do some limited streaming of Youtube, but not HD.

There was no food service when I was there, but found that many restaurants would deliver meals to the bar on a motorcycle. That became my preferred method, especially for the marinated grilled chicken. Yum yum. They don't clean your room every day, but every two or three days. No big deal for me.

The Coco is not for everyone. During my stay two women checked in, one single, and one with her husband. The single gal checked out after three days, and the married one was a bit put off by the scene in Sosua in general, but seemed to enjoy the Coco. I would venture that if you're not an adventurous woman, this is probably not for you. But if you're an adventurous guy, the Coco is worthy of consideration.

The little problems did not bother me much, but you should be aware of them. The power went out, usually during the afternoon, about 3 times or so a week for 30 minutes to several hours. Some people complained of no water or no hot water from time to time, but I did not personally experience this. Some jerk was drinking at the bar, singing loudly, and annoying guests in their rooms. Oh yeah, that was me. Sorry.

I was looking for a place that was oriented primarily to single guys, and I found it here. I look forward to my return to the Coco.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank topdeckgames

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We landed at Puerto Plata around noon. Ian, the owner, came and picked us up at the airport for $15. By 2pm we were at the beach, accessed by a short jungle trail. The snorkeling was amazing, but a long swim to get out to the reef. Not a problem with fins. A short walk down the street is a small store to buy some beers. The hotel has a palapa bar that was a fun hang out late at night with lots of different nationalities to talk with about our plans for three weeks of backpacking around the DR. It's not the quietest street around, but I had no problem drifting off to sleep to the sounds of merengue way in the distance. The next morning there was coffee and a friendly kitty-cat to greet me at the bar. At the end of our three weeks we stayed again the night before flying out. It's a wonderful place to say hello, and goodbye to the DR. I'd go back anytime!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Hi just did a trip (first time to The DR) on advice from a sigle buddy. I looked up read the reviews on Coco hotel, so I thought I would give it a shot. First nite dropped my bags after a long day of travelling went to the little outside bar down stairs, which is part of the hotel (did not even really look at my room). This is were I met Bernie and Judy tending bar, Judy is quieter but she knows whats going on were as Bernie (such a great guy he is also a new buddy for me) is a riot he is full of life stories of his travels around the world. From that moment on I had nothing but fun, it was like the tv show Cheers, different people showing up thru the nite/day, some local expats some visiting thru. Met some very nice people even a Irishman with a dog that has has a tail like a pig and a guy who has now become a friend Eric from England/USA/DR who took me under his wing. There is a corner store across the road for some of your essentials ie water beer or what ever, local ladies walk right by you at the bar selling fresh fruit so dont have to get that from the store.Your about 3-5 min by taxi to the strip like area, not the best place for couples or ladies (after the sun goes down) but awesome for the guys.Food was great try out the Jolly Roger great place Canadian owned so you feel at home. Back to my room, it was clean one bedroom with a full bathroom mine had a/c which I never used because the time of year (Jan) was not to bad on the heat/humidity. I used the fan tho at nite. The owners were away(one is a fellow Canuck) who I never met maybe next time. Exchange your money asap it just makes it easier (best day for exchange is Wed, or just get it from the bank ATM as you need ( make sure its a proper bank at banking hours to avoid any little machine problems). Anyways long story short, if you are a single guy or traveling with a wingman, get yourselves a room each go down to the bar say hi to Bernie/Judy and start enjoying yourself. telling them Steve the old fireman said hi...Im savin my useless Canadian pennies now to head back .

Room Tip: ask for one near the back of the complex, DR is a little louder than most N Americans are used to du...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank steve l
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable place, good rooms and service. A minus would be the Online Booking system which is dysfunctional, but made up for by flexibility of the management at the desk. Don't be put off by the guests, lots of partying with prostitutes and using the rooms as a bordello.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank c f
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Hello All out there.
First of all, My husband and Myself own a Condo around the corner from Coco's.
Once we had it rented out and wanted to stay a few days longer. My husband went home and I stayed at Coco's by myself.
Had a Ball. Shelly and Ian took very good care of me and were more than accommoting. They even went out to get me food for lunch etc. Shelly and I went shopping and became very good friends.
Now after years of going down, This is one of our favorite spots to hand out.
Its so much fun there, to the FUN crowd who hang out at the bar. The stories are a laugh. NEVER EVER, a DULL MOMENT AT COCO's BAR.
And its very safe there as well.
Ian and his wife Marleney are very nice HONEAT people. They have 2 beautiful children.
Burnie is GREAT AS WELL. Burnie is a very close friend of my husband and myself as well. (Call him Burnie Bond. as in James Bond. He will love that.) That is his new NICK NAME BURNIE BOND!!!!

We go all the time, as we do have a condo close by and drink at Coco's alot. We always have a ball there. They treat us like gold and our FRIENDSHIPS are Close now over the 7 yrs that we have owned there in Sosua.
So if your looking for a very fun place that is clean and lots of fun. GO TO COCO's Motel.
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!!! YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT!!! WE SHOULD KNOW THIS AS WE HAVE A CONDO THERE.

Room Tip: Any room is fine. I liked the top floor.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heather092
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hi - Just spent a week at the Coco Hotel. Excellent value for the money. Friendly staff, great low key atmosphere and very accommodating to all requests. Loved sitting at the bar chatting with Bernie and Ian. Marleney and Ian's daughter add to the easy going feel. Marleney does a great job cleaning. What was extra nice was the welcome our Haitian friends received.

Bernie is the best chauffeur, bartender, breakfast maker and rice cooker - bar none!

The little Dominican restaurant/take out next door is yummy & cheap.

Looking forward to spending my summer with Bernie, Marleney, Ian and the girls!

Bernice

Room Tip: The Penthouse is large and great for multiple guests.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Reading some of the reviews someone could be very confused about what Hotel Coco is really like so here is my version. If you want a vacation in which you stay in a little transported bubble and don't experience anything real about the large expat community of Sosua, this place is not for you. If you need to be forcefed the same boring food day after day and just hang out in a pool at some hotel while you have the greatest waters surrounding your area, this place is not for you. Now if you want to experience the real culture of Sosua, see the regular community hanging out at the bar, and just plain experience life...this place is for you. I don't know about the hostel part, but a normal room which I had will be cleaned every 2 days, any requests for a place to eat will be answered honestly, any activity you choose can be evaluated by the hotel and they will use real experiences to back up their recommendations. Any assistance needed will be met by an over abundance of help from the staff or the patrons of the place. This isn't only a hotel it is a community and as long as you want to belong and be somewhat social you will not regret your stay here.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear the motorbikes ask for a room away from the street, but then again tho...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo