“Friendly and comfortable”
Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #22 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I only spent a short while at the Coco, but it was enough time to enjoy the beach, the bar, the pool, and the hot water! This small hotel is run by Ian, a Canadian, who works hard at the upkeep and constant improvements and repairs to the property. Guests are a wealth of information about travel in the DR. Sosua is noisy, fortunately the Coco is a short walk from the noisiest, craziest part of town--although bar patrons can get loud. The beds are comfortable, rooms are clean, and the towels and toilet paper are among the best we encountered in the DR. Highly recommended for the budget traveller.

Room Tip: Choose a room far from the bar if you plan to sleep before 1 a.m.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Yvette D

Reviewed June 24, 2011

Don't go to the Dominican Republic, it blows. If the Gods are punishing you, and you end up in Sosua, you must stay at the Coco Hotel.

The staff are incredibly helpful and friendly, the guests are an eclectic mix of mongers (both male and female), backpackers, pensioners, and honeymooners. And the bar patrons are a wealth of information and a never ending source of lively political discussion--when they are not debating their own gender preferences.

You can certainly find fancier hotels, and you might be able to find a few that are worse, but I guarantee you won't find a hotel this interesting, friendly and entertaining. They have both hostel and private rooms available.

The only reason I would ever return to the Dominican Republic would be just to stay at the Coco Hotel.

Room Tip: Dominican Republic is loud bring earplugs/MP3.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank matrix1984
Reviewed July 5, 2010

While living in the DR part-time and back in the states part-time, the hotel coco has become more of a home than back in the states. The community there becomes your family within hours and the hotel is perfect whether you're a social butterfly or just wanna chill out by the pool solo. Its the perfect mix of living within the culture and having a way of escaping from the culture all at the same time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank miller787
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I will be staying the Coco Hotel this month, it's been two weeks now...but I just may stay longer!
The Family (I don’t want to say staff) that are hosting this Hotel are absolutely wonderful. Everybody works so hard to be sure that you are well taken care of.
I am not here on vacation, but for business so I am out working all day and look forward to coming back to a place where it just feels like home. They have provided me with a safe & clean environment where I can wind down after a days work. I look forward to the weekends where I can just lounge by the pool, have a couple cocktails and relax!
I have had many friends and family members stay at the Coco Hotel and now I know why they keep coming back! Thanks Ian and Marleny!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank BigStarPBoi
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed at the Coco Hotel last year. It was an incredible time, the people there were all so polite and courtious. Ian the manager was one of the best hotel managers he is friendly, and always willing to accomadate. The hotel was very clean, the pool was incredible and it was just a five minute walk to the beach.
I would love to go there again, and I'm sure I will in the near future.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Sammo_10
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Me and my girlfriend stayed there and we abouslty enjoyed everyday we were there; Ian and Marleny were so nice and helpful to us. The moment we got there we were really hungry and they got us a menu for the restaurant beside the hotel, we ordered it and Ian picked it up and brought it to us, shortly after they gathered all the people staying at the hotel to go down to the beach which was amazing. The view was great and beach was amazing with sand bottom for about 40 feet out plus semi private. It was also nice because Ian and Marleny took us out one night to the clubs to show us around so you aren't lost or go into the wrong places which was a great help. Now the rooms are not a 6 star resort room but they are very nice and for the price you’re paying you are getting an amazing deal. The location is right in town where you are able to see the community and people that nice which I find is better than a resort because you can actual see the country itself. All and all I really can't say anything bad about this place other than get a room with an air conditioner because its hot but that why your there to enjoy the amazing whether and to see Dominican. Thank Ian and Marleny for the great time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HarrisonMW
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This will now be my 3rd time returning from the Coco hotel and I must say each and every time the Coco hotel makes my stay better and better! I recommend this hotel if your looking for something cheep an convenient but pleasent and clean (especially if you haven't saved enough $$$ this year and can't afford the All Inc =P haha). The coco has to offer a huge swimming pool which I must say seemed to be the perfect temp no matter what time of day. An awesome hammock and seating area by the pool, great place to relax. 24 hour bar, prices are always the same tooo, cheep and cheerful. Them Cubies very strong just the way thier supposed to be! 24 hour power and hot water. I had a/c although I rarely needed it, the fans were good enough. They also use solar panels with the sun being constant they seemed to work fine. However on those cloudy days when there was no hot water I notifed the manager and within 10-20mins, hot water! The room was nothing special loverly and clean. Fresh sheets and towels also my room was cleaned atleast every 2 days. Honestly, for $25 bucks a night, why on earth would I complain. There is also a loverly private beach behind the hotel of which the hotel have access to, the sunset is incredable.

The staff at the hotel are great everytime during my stay they make me feel so welcome and always willing to help. Ian and Marlanie are a great couple. Aswell and Shelley and Niel whom I met on my visit before. Wonderfull people with a Wonderfull family run hotel. Great sercurity, Watchieman and the 3 dogs. Bruce is so handsom! The gates was always locked at night time. I never once have felt unsafe or threatened.

Not everything has been perfect throughout my durations at the hotel like I recall the trip before one night there was no power or another time there was a problem with the water anyways its was too late in the day for a plumer (Dominican time, Ey) but next morning the plumer and the problem was fixed. Each time staff was helpful. Seriously, it's a devolping county of course things happen and yes its an inncoveniece but vacation in the caribe, 5 nights for $100. Mmmmm??!!

I am definatly returning to the Coco Hotel, I would recommend anyone else too. Male, female, young or old. Its a ideal place for all!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple