“excellent value for your money. centrally located. five star service.”

Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I have stayed in one of Rocky's hotel rooms and/or condos on four different trips. Three times at the hotel, and once at one of the condos.

Rick and his staff never fail to deliver five star service,

If you look at the negative reviews, they are all from 2008 and earlier. BEFORE Rick owned the business. Rick took over in 2009 and soooo much has changed since then.

the restaurant: service times are MUCH MUCH faster. The "cook" has been replaced by a "chef" , which has taken thier food to a whole new level. The day and evening staff are always very friendly, courtious, and attentive.

the hotel: the hotel rooms are no frills rooms. they are what they are. they are not the ritz carleton, nor does rock make any claims as such. All rooms have a bathroom with hot water. Ceiling fans. High effeciency air conditioners. Digital safes that allows you to set your own combination. closets with hangers. a dresser. tv with cable. and high speed internet access works in all rooms, and in the restaurant.

rooms are cleaned daily by onsite, friendly, and HONEST housekeeping staff. Towels and linens are changed daily.

condos: i have stayed in the tradewinds condos for a a week once. the pool is amazing. the condos are very nice. large 1 bedroom apartments, with full kitchen and bath, and balcony over looking the pool. high speed internet access, tv and cable.

there are also mary rose condos and some new condos across the street from the restaurant. i have not seen either of these condos before, so i cant comment on thier quality.

flying into POP; rick provides free airport pickup.

if you are going to sosua on a budget, or just dont care to blow money on a fancier room, then rockys is a great choice. if you need extra bells & whistles, or desire to spend more, then rockys is not for you.

however, if you want a clean room, with excellent customer service, at an amazing value.... then check out rockys!!!

Room Tip: only 5 bucks a night for the a/c & worth it
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank JayThomson
There are newer reviews for Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel

Reviewed May 1, 2011

I stayed at Rocky's for 2 weeks in March 2011, but it was the fourth time I've stayed at Rocky's out of six trips. And, I just re-booked for a week in June. I've tried other places, for more money, and I'm happy to be back to Rocky's!

The rooms are clean, and basic. The rooms are cleaned, sheets changed, and clean towels daily. But for $25 a night, or $30 for air conditioning, what else do you expect??

But there are so many other things that set this hotel apart.

First is the owner! Rick is a hands on owner. He strives for happy customers! I've found in the DR, customer service is non-existant. But at Rocky's, Rick goes above and beyond to be sure that all his guest's are happy! He has free pick-up from POP airport. One time, he came down at 5am, just after we got into town, so me and my friend could drop off our bags before we hit the town! And yes, we hit the town at 5 am, and still found a good time!

Second, is the location. You are 1 minute from the heart of Sosua! The beach is 5 minutes away, and EVERYTHING is under 10 minutes!

The food at Rocky's is absolutely delicious. And, a great surprise for me this past trip, Rick went from having a cook, to hiring a chef, and expanded the menu. Rick has worked hard to improve the wait time, but I prefer it the old way. When service was slower. It gave me and my friends time to have a few cocktails and time to talk, before the dinner brought to the table. But I'm not going to complain, I just wait a bit before ordering.

Rocky's is an ex-pat gathering place. You can learn more in an hour sitting with some of these guys, than you could walking the streets for 2 weeks.

I'm not going to lie. Rocky's is not a family place to stay, and I would not take a girlfriend there to stay. But, as a single traveler, it is perfect for me. It is small, and Rick knows all of his guest's.

Rick not only has the hotel, but he has 1 bedroom condo's outside of town, and manages 1 bedroom condo's across the street from the hotel. All come with Rick's customer service, which is beyond reproach.

If I have my preference, I try to avoid room #4, but I wouldn't refuse to stay there if I had #4. I stayed there for 4 nights this past trip.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank TreyTNT72
Reviewed May 14, 2010

The negative comments have absolutely no merit.. True, Rocky's is no 5 star luxury resort. But then, they don't claim to be. The negative comments are from those who expected as much. My advice to them is: NEXT TIME, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!
If you don't want to experience the Dominican night life, don't go there. Stay in one of those high priced all-inclusives instead. You'll find all the artificial comforts of your privileged lifestyle. I'm sure you'll feel right at home (which is where you should be, since you're not really in the DR anyway)
Rocky's is located in the heart of Sosua's social scene. So, "duh", of course it's surrounded by a noisy atmosphere. That's expected. That's why many people go there.
If you want to visit the beach, take a short hike down the road. Besides the nightlife, there are plenty of fairly priced quality restaurants in the area. Rocky's is one of them. There are also a couple of banks and a grocery store within 5 minutes too.
The rooms are decent, clean and well maintained. For the price they are better than decent. And despite the noisy surroundings, the rooms are very secluded in the back, so its not as if the motoconchos are passing through your living room, as some would have you believe.
Unless you are afraid of the Domincan people, there is absolutely nothing wrong with checking out Rocky's if you're on a tight budget, or even if you're not, but want to experience the provincial life of the Dominican community.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Jammetrymon
Reviewed November 28, 2009

I stayed here for 4 nights, including Thanksgiving. This is a very basic, budget hotel room. And that is exactly what I was looking for. Clean sheets, room safe, free wireless, cable TV and a shower, If you are a budget traveler this is perfect. It is not a romantic/family hotel. The owner, Rick, is a great guy and extremely accomadating. He will even pick you up at the airport. Many ex-pats hang out there and you can get excellent information from them. It is right in the middle of the action and close to the beach. The food is excellent and very reasonable. I was fortunate to be there on Thansgiving and incredibly Rick put on an outstanding turkey dinner for about 50 of us at a cost of less than $6 each. That had to be a losing deal for Rick and I know he puts it on for friends. It was a great time. They also have a one bedroom apartment in another location that they rent out. I stayed there two nights and it was perfect for a single or a couple. Very nice. I met a few people there I hope to remain friends with. I never experienced slow service of any kind. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank rbh44
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Dont pay attention to all of the negatviity. When you stay at this place you get what you pay for...One night I had the opportunity to sit with the previous owner. His goal for his place was to create a safe, inexpensive place that serves good afforadble food. At $25 a night you get what you pay for...

The Rooms- Clean, with a safe. Bathrooms and bedservice was maintained by a decent cleaning staff. I was always able to return to my room after 11 am to find my bed made and bathroom cleaned. Because you are in a third world country, you cant take steaming hour long showers. But you get a good 20 min. Yes there were a few nights when the electricity would short out for about 5 min...But who cares! You will be so wasted from partying, you'll probably be asleep anyway.

I had a small problem with my bed and my dresser, but both were fixed in the same day by Rick, the new owner of the bar. Who, by the way, picked my up at the airport, gave me few pointers, and cut me loose. But he was extremely friendly and was always availble if I had any questions.

The Food and Service- The young ladies who work there are fantastic. Very nice and sweet. I had a great time getting to know them since I was there for about 9 days and had a great chance to meet the morning crew and the afternoon crew. Is the food service slow? Yeah, but its to make sure you dont become ill from the food being prepared the wrong way. All the food places that serve " safe food" take about the same amount of time. If you are that concerned about speed, roll the dice and get a papusa of a truck and i'll come visit you in your bathroom for the next 4 days!

Location- you are about 50 yards from the strip of bars and clubs. The moto conchos [ bike cabs] roll all through the night, but after drinking and hanging out, you wont notice. You are about a 2 block walk from the bank, and maybe 3 block walk from the beach. The people in Sosua are great and fantastic...

Overall- This is not a place for families and couples. Its for single people looking to hang out and have a good time...Which I did!!!! The hotel is "chica friendly" and they will not charge any money for overnight guests. The food is great, the staff is very pleasant and the location is awesome...

Just remember, you get what you paid for...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank Bruce_Wane
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Tried this place for the last time in may cuz i had been told it was under "new management" .....bad move! save your time look for another place there are a bunch of really good and cheap hotels now. i found nothing new except the owner...its still dirty, noisy, slow service, mis-managed with crappy water and power!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
6  Thank smithdawg
Reviewed April 28, 2009

For 25 dollar a night, get you a nice and simple place to live.
For solo travellers, that want to use Sousa restaurants, bar and night life, is this place located where the actions happens .
Only 30 seconds to 2 minutes to walk to Sousa popular bars and disco,s.
So Rocky is maybe not the best place for a couple and special not for kids, because of the location with a heavy day and night life.

The rooms are very simple, not to good bed, but cable television and wireless internet, and hot water. Some rooms are little to close to the streets and you can be little disturb by the night life in the street .

Beside the very close location to the night life has Rocky also a cheap and good restaurant. With good and cheap food. From the big menu can I recommend their breakfast, hamburger, sandwich and spare ribs And it is few places in the town, where you can get a big Brahma beer for 80 peso. But sometimes can service be little slow.
And their plastic table and chair (camping style) feel are every simple, and special is you are little heavy, saw some costumers that change to a more solid chair.
But I believe they will change the tables and chair to more solid and comfortable in the future

Because of prior reservations could I only stay three days at this hotel, but Rickie was very nice and found my another hotel at the same price (Coco Hotel) and he even drove me for free to this hotel .
Every time I was close to Rocky, I visited and took some food and beers.
Rocky is very popular for ex pats and long time visitors, this is one of their most popular meeting place. As a solo traveller was it very interesting to sit with them and chat and often get advices from their long time knowledge about live in Sousa.. I will personally say I liked to speak with Michel from Sweden, lived in Sosua for many years and are a very nice person.

So Rocky, cheap, but very simple place to live in the heart of Sousa, special for solo travellers that want stay where the action happens in Sosua,, and a cheap and good restaurant with possibilities to meet other foreigners.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo