“hidden gem”

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
New York City, New York
“hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I like an earlier review that said this seems like a 3 star trying to be a 5 star. My only change would be its like a 4 star trying to be a 4.5 star. Other than the beds not being super comfortable and the water pressure not being what i'm accustomed to in the US, this is a fantastic hotel. It is away from the crazy Sosua nightlife yet still walkable to everything you would want to see in the area. Steps from the sosua beach boardwalk, minutes from the main sosua drag and overlooking Sosua bay, I couldnt ask for a better location. The rooms are clean, service is excellent with a smile, the building is in pretty good shape and well maintained and the crowd seems respectable. ie, no frat boys on a bachelor party, no euro backpackers, not that I havent fit into either of these categorizations in the past, so please dont take offense, just trying to paint a picture. The breakfast is fantastic, especially if you select a table overlooking the ocean. As far as clientele...I saw seniors, romantic couples, and families with children.
I was there solo in March for a 3 day scuba diving trip coupled with some late night partying with a few buddies and this hotel, as well as Sosua itself, met my needs perfectly.
i would strongly recommend Sosua as an alternative to Puerto Plata, as it very easy to get to from POP and does not force you to stay in all-inclusive resorts. If you choose Sosua, then this hotel definitely deserves to be on your list. If you are a honeymooning couple looking to walk out of your room to a secluded beach, this might not be your scene.

Room Tip: avoid puerto plata and head to sosua for fun and sand.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank familyguypaul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My friend and I booked a nightmare stay at the Cofresi All-Inclusive (reviewed separately) and decided to fly in a day early and extend our stay in the Dominican Republic. Given that we were headed for an all-inclusive resort for most of our stay, we wanted something a little more off of the beaten path. After reading about the Piergiogio Palace in a New York Times article (dated several years back), I thought..why not..and booked it for one night. When we arrived, I thought that the hotel looked like it could use a facelift but it was more than adequate for the night. We got a first floor room overlooking the street, which was not the ideal location. But, after checking into our wicker-furniture-filled room and throwing our luggage in, we headed for the pool bar. We were treated to a spectacular view off of the cliffs in Sosua. And, we had the place to ourselves. We enjoyed a cocktail or two before heading to dinner at Casa 21 (excellent) and a stroll around Sosua. Upon returning from dinner, we enjoyed an evening on the patio. That's when we noticed that the place can really use some updating. The lights on the balcony railings were covered in what looked to us like shower caps (we may have donned those caps for a photo op or two) and imagined the hotel decades ago in what might have been its prime, underneath its multiple coats of white paint on the balcony railing with entertainment and patios-full of guests. Now, we were among just a handful of people enjoying a beautiful night. We retired to a room with beds that were as hard as a rock but we were so tired that we slept like the rocks we were sleeping on. Their free breakfast was decent and the staff were friendly. The next day, after checking out, the front desk clerk took us next door so that we can spend time on the less crowded beach (and enter through the private residences). They also lent us towels to use. Nice service! They also have free wireless. Spotty, but it works in a pinch. If you go, expect an average stay with friendly service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenn120
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife and I spend 2 weeks in Dominican Republic in an all inclusive hotel. We definitely needed a change and to get out of there. We booked a room in this hotel for a night. At our arrival, we were astonished by the beauty of the colonial-style building. It looked very impressive. It was very quiet and out of the highly noisy downtown Sosua. Our room had an amazing view on the bay. It was quite comfortable and clean. The receptionist was not extremely friendly, but he was very helpful and respectful (what a great change compared to the other people working in service in Dominican Republic). The waitresses at the hotel restaurant were quite friendly and professional. We had dinner on the terrace over the cliff. The view was breathtaking, especially at sunset. The atmosphere was very romantic (even after sunset). We had the best Italian food we ever had outside of Italy, with very fresh, probably privately imported products (oh my god! authentic Italian Parmesan:).

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in higher floors with seaside view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mary_and_Michel
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family and I recently went to Piergiorgio Palace Hotel's restaurant for dinner because it had been recommended to us by friends. The ONLY reason I am giving it a 3 rating is because of its stunning sunset views. The restaurant is open air and located on the side of a cliff with views of Puerto Plata. We felt like we were in Europe! Otherwise, the restaurant deserves a 1 for food and service.
We were a group of 10 people, but the restaurant had only 3 other tables being served at the same time. The food took over 1 1/2 hours to arrive, and when it did, it was mediocre to say the least, especially considering that this was one of the most expensive restaurants we have experienced here in Cabarete. My fish did not taste fresh and upset my stomach for the entire next day. We were all very disappointed.
I would, however, recommend stopping in for drinks and an appetizer just to take in the view. Otherwise, this restaurant is not worth eating at. As for the hotel itself, it looks a bit outdated and in need of renovations. We did NOT stay at the hotel. A real shame...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank namastegroup
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

Just returned from 7 nights at Piergiorgio. The staff were very helpful and accomodating. We had a large group, and received excellent service. Delicious food. Fun to swim off the rocks, and a short walk to Sosua beach. cannot wait to return!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank letsgo2242
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night at the recommendation of our tour company, Cheesemans' Ecology Tours. The hotel is located at the end of a street so there's no unnecessary road noise or people who come through. However, the view from here is quite awesome and I think a tour guide brought some folks by to see the view.

We were on the top floor with an ocean view. The room is comfortable, the bed is firm - great for my husband, not so much for me as a side sleeper. However, we had come in from a red eye, so sleep came easily enough. The bathroom is large and it even has a bidet. The shampoo/conditioner is not something you'd likely want to use if you brought your own from the States - I recommend bringing your own, in addition to lotion & soap. Soap is provided, lotion is not.

We had drinks in the evening overlooking the water; that was nice and romantic. Breakfast was good (included) the next morning. The staff is friendly.

There's free wifi in the lobby. The only downside was that they are doing repairs near the pool right in front of the bar plus gradual renovation on the outside of the hotel. Our next morning, they were replacing something on the outside of the room right next door to us plus making repairs near the pool. So there was construction noise wherever I was attempting to relax.

The hotel is within walking distance of the local beach; I highly recommend at least a stroll as it's quite fascinating with all the stalls for souvenirs, food & beer.

I would stay here again. This was my first ever visit to the DR plus the only hotel I stayed in, so I cannot compare it to any other hotel in the DR.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GreenStarfish
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed at piergiorgio for a business trip, but I was struck by how romantic and unique the place was, the kind of place I would have wanted for my honeymoon. It reminds me of greece, but also has a southern plantation style, so maybe greek revival.

You enter through am open white marble piazzo with view of the ocean. There were almost no guests here at the end of May, so there was no wait and the front desk has nothing to do but offer assistance. The rooms are of the oldtime variety with actual keys, wicker furniture, tile floors, and french doors with small wrought iron balconies. They are air conditioned, but nothing fancy. I had some trouble finding a compatible EIectrical outlet for my computer ( bring a 3-prong adapter). But there is free WI-F! The beds are very firm yet surprisingly comfortable. Not luxurious, though, if that's your thing. I did not drink the tap water here, but there were bottled waters in the fridge. There is an old supremely out-of-tune piano in the lobby that someone was playing last night that gave it a Casablanca feel.

The thing that strikes me is the unsurpassed landscape and surroundings (see photos attached.) you could have dinner at a linen covered table in a cupola on the ocean watching the sunset over the caribbean. Attentive service. I cannot speak for the food, as I did not eat here. At sunset you can observe the lights of the yachts anchored nearby.

I cannot say too much about the nightlife here. Reminds me of Key West only a little seedier. But for spectacular sun-filled surroundings in a unique but classic setting, this is the place.

It is cheap-about 60-70 Usd and I don't know why. Perhaps because We are off season (end of may). No one is here!! I had the swimming pool to myself.

Room Tip: ask to have dinner in cupola
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business