Tripadvisor
Sosua
4,913 results
All reviews seafood casa marina beach a la cartes beach side entertainment staff snack bar red flag main pool ocean world hot dogs shows at night chicken paradise island the mexican restaurant renovated room main buffet public beach
Selected filters
Reviewed January 18, 2020

Thank you for another amazing time! Iris and Franklin and Chihuahua are awesome! As well as so many hostess staff, bartenders, Virginia is very welcoming .. gardeners Roclio Sena - SO nice, hard working and friendly and housekeeping staff and chefs - Julian and my awesome omelet guy. I love seeing how the staff care for one another and get along so well. I really enjoyed my trip! The people are who make me keep coming back, as well as the amazing food and the VIEWS! Thank you Franklin for showing me and my friends the beautiful Select area. I was very happy with my room, however there was a small problem with the balcony lock, and Jerome swiftly moved me one floor up and I LOVED the new room location!! Thank you Jerome! I am already booked to return for 16 days in April I can’t wait to return and see you all. All the best until We meet again in April.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Vanmacindonk
FranklinD257, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so much for this nice review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay here in Hotel….. Please feel free to visit us again whenever you like. Best regards

Reviewed January 14, 2020

Just got back Jan. 13 from spending a week at Casa Marina Resort.
Booked online for the all inclusive stay with the "garden view".
The "garden view" consisted of old trailers and a walking trail where the workers carry things back and forth through the resort.
Check-in took about 45 minutes with only 4 people working for bringing in a bus load of people. The reception and entire resort is all around very nice looking and renovated. The room was gross. The room had black mould under the sink, on the shower curtains. There was no light in the room and the lamp only worked if I fiddled with the wires near the circuit. The beds had hairs in them when we arrived. Other than the room, the resort was great.
Staff are super friendly, however some are very pushy for a sale. The excursion and massage men were very pushy, I would purposely walk further around them to avoid them. The maids are very sweet. The hotel reception staff are in no hurry to service you. Expect to wait 20+ minutes to even talk to the staff behind the counter.
Wifi "runs out" sometimes so you are forced to buy a more expensive package. Wifi for 1 day on 1 device is $6US dollars.
We went off the resort to go to the currency exchange and multiple locals will come up to you and ask for money. One man staying at the resort got a knife pulled on him when he left the resort. I went during the day and it was very unsafe. Many biker gangs just waiting around for trouble.
Overall, the resort was very nice, food was good. Staff could be more attentive and the room definitely needs a nice upgrade (would be nice to have lights in the room).
I probably wouldn't stay here again but I would come back to Dominican again.

Room tip: Upgrade from the garden view for sure
1  Thank chelseag967
FranklinD257, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

We sincerely regret what happened during your stay at our hotel. One of the aspects that characterizes us is the kind attention of the members of our team. I take note of all your signs to always improve and get the total satisfaction of our guests. . Thanks for your comment. We hope to remedy it soon, to improve our quality and service. Please contact us for any assistance in a future stay in Puerto Plata or Samaná. Sincerely, do not hesitate to contact us directly at guestservicecmbr@amhsamarina.com, we will personally help you. Sincerely, Franklin Del Rosario

Reviewed January 12, 2020

The four of us arrived at Casa Marina Beach and Reef Resort on December 13th, 2019. Yes, we flew on Friday the 13th. This is only rated as a 3.5-star resort. This all-inclusive resort had been renovating for months and creating an adult only section on the far side of the resort called Select. When we arrived, my husband and I were placed on the Select side without the amenities. With a small upgrade fee, we were able to enjoy those amenities including Wi-Fi throughout the resort, safe in the room, designated areas for Select members which included bars, pools and even your own special section in the buffet. Premium liquor was included along with poolside waiters. My mom and her friend did not upgrade so I actually was able to experience the full resort, although I will say our second week was much more boujee. Seeing how my mom and her friend were on the regular all-inclusive side we did spend the first week on that side and then my husband and I took advantage on the second week what the Select side had to offer. This resort is filled with 3 and 4 story buildings with just shy of 700 rooms total. With about 50% of the rooms renovated you have your choice when booking to have a renovated or non-renovated room. I did not get a chance to see one of the unrenovated rooms but reading the reviews on trip advisor we had decided originally to book a renovated room. As the name mentions, Beach and Reef Resort, it is nestled in off the reef with access to a. private beach and a public beach, Playa Alicia. On the resort there is 1 buffet, 4 a la cartes (one is only for Select guests), 6 bars (one is only for Select guests), 2 snack bars (one only for Select guests), 8 pools or plunge pools (again, three of these are for select guests only including one infinity pool) and 1 hot tub for Select guests only. There were tons of seating at any of the pools, however, there were a lot of empty chairs on the Select side. The beach was not big but lots of chairs available there on both the resort side and the public side. Week 1 was spent on the non-select side. Spent time at the big pool, where are the activities were time at both beaches and time at the plunge pools. These were 3 small pools built in the reef that overlooked the ocean. They were small but off in the distance you could see Pico Isabel de Torres and Puerto Plata. It was actually a phenomenal view! This side would have been just fine if we hadn’t experienced the other side. Haha! The a la carte restaurants were delicious, all of them. I had a hard time finding something to eat at the Seafood one, but I did. The Mexican was delicious, the waitress and waiters were fabulous there. It shared a kitchen with the Italian restaurant which was just as fabulous. The entertainment staff were good, not great but it was an all-ages resort so they catered to all ages. As far. As the entertainment, we only saw 2 shows because we opted in to watch the softball tournament across the street every single night but more on that later. This resort was an inexpensive option for all of us at Christmas. The downfalls to this resort are even though it is “all-inclusive” there are many money grabs such as Wi-Fi is not included anywhere on the resort, it was a $27USD charge per device, per week. If you wanted a safe, that was $15USD per week. Also, if you are a picky eater, the food may get repetitive. Same food every day. Myself, I do not eat most meat, but I found something at every meal. On December 24th they through a special Christmas dinner at the. Buffet including turkey and lobster, it was amazing! The ocean is not the calmest, but its also not rough all the time. For the first eight days, it was as calm as calm could be then we had a red flag the following three and couldn’t swim there.
Now the Select side was 100% worth the upgrade. I do not usually upgrade my room as I would rather spend money on experiences however it was $50USD per person per week. This included the safe, Wi-Fi, Select only sections on the resort, beach, buffet and 1 bar with. Premium booze and waiter service at the pools and beach. You had your own lobby so you didn’t have to go all the way to the front and made check out easy when we left.

Casa Marina Beach and Reef Resort is a GREAT location if you are not wanting to feel stuck on a resort. Just outside the entrance, you are only minutes away from bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, grocery stores, ice cream shops and so much more! One of the main reasons why I came to this resort was to the reviews on town and to venture out and about, PLUS there was a baseball field directly across the street which in the reviews said there was baseball nightly, and the reviews were not wrong. The second night we saw baseball being played and we went out and watched. If you know me I LOOOVE the sport. I have played the sport for 30 years. If you know anything about the Dominican Republic then you know how much they LOVE the game too. Every night it was being played there we were in the stands watching it. Now it wasn’t baseball while we were there, it was softball. They had a tournament going on that included kids as young as 17 or 18 years old and as old as players in their 50’s. This tournament was to say goodbye to 2019 and was a fun but competitive tournament. We met a guy named. Nelson who explained this to us. He was only about 5 Dominicans we met that spoke any English. He was older, in his 50’s and he was telling us his team was the oldest team in the whole tournament. They were playing in the tournament to teach the ‘young kids’ that you need to play for heart and not looking for a paycheque, as a lot of Dominicans see baseball as a way out and to bring money home for their families. Every night for a couple of hours we were there enjoying the games. We started naming players that stuck out and were good who reminded us of MLB players. There was Jose Reyes, Joey Bats, Manny Machado and even Pablo Sandoval. If you don’t know the lasts name, google him and what he is known for, haha. We spent just shy of 6 hours watching 3 games one night. This was exactly how I saw my vacation. It was perfect. We met a young kid, Luis, who was down for Christmas with family. He had moved to NYC a couple of years prior to being with his grandmother and had learned English while there and attends high school there too. He chatted and taught us a lot. Showed us potentials who have been scouted by the MLB and what teams had signed who. It was very interesting. He also was playing in the tournament and back in the US was on a high school team hoping to be scouted. His. The team was knocked out early so most evenings were spent with this young Dominican learning about him, baseball and anything else he would teach us! Besides baseball, we ended up wandering the town a few times. The main area isn’t too big and filled with bars and restaurants mainly. There is a Canadian owned bar, Jolly Rogers, which made phenomenal drinks that we visited. We never felt threatened whether day or night. We also wandered with 2-4 people. Again, street smarts guys.

Room tip: We stayed in room 125 on the Select side! View of the ocean. Great newer room.
Date of stay: December 2019
8  Thank MissMeghan12
FranklinD257, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Reviewed January 8, 2020 via mobile

My friend and I booked a renovated room in Casa Marina Reef Resort. At first glance it looked fine, nice renovated lobby in a relatively decent area of Sosua. Then we got to the lobby where we experienced one of the most atrocious customer service ever. Went to the room, decent but at the end of a long long hallway. We then proceed to the visit of the complex... really far from what we expected. Buffet was the typical boring dry tasteless food (fries, hamburger and pickles).
We then went to the reception, thinking of wanting to leave the resort and book a new place and that’s when we saw it. -> there’s a possible upgrade you can make, between 20 and 45 US$ more per night to be on what they call the SELECT and COOEE side. We’re talking about a nearly private, very cosy, insanely clean and kids free environment. It is located on the left side of the normal resort and is controlled, only guests with the VIP bracelet can access that part of the hotel. Private pools, very good restaurant, private bar, private reception and INSANE CUSTOMERS SERVICE. I never set foot on the other side of the resort after paying for then upgrade. Special thanks to Josue and friends at the bar and to all the lovely ladies at the reception, who were so kind and more than helpful on many occasions.
Would pay for the +45US$ to have my own private chairs outside my balcony in my private pool again anytime. Highly recommend in doing so.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank daphneeboiv
FranklinD257, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Reviewed January 6, 2020

We traveled from Ontario Canada with three other families over winter break with children ranging in age from 12-16, adults all mid-40s. I should mention that this was my first Three Star All Inc resort, and I was hesitant to book, and I had low expectations. Immediately, my family was very pleasantly surprised by this resort, the many amenities, the comfort and spaciousness of the rooms, the entertainment, and the beauty of the views. Our room was a renovated (Deluxe) Garden View with our balcony overlooking the main pool. Beds were comfy (not too hard or soft) and pillows were decent and plentiful. There were lots for the kids to do, including water basketball, volleyball, ping pong, pool tables, bocce, foosball. The animation team runs games and activities, including darts, dancing, Spanish lessons, starting at 10am. There’s a private beach by the main buffet restaurant and a longer, busier, public beach on the other side. The resort is a short walk to Sosua Beach that has a fantastic reef for snorkeling. The adults in our group never had difficulty finding a few lounge chairs together, under trees, with gorgeous views of the ocean. There were far more places to sit in both sun and shade areas than at other more expensive resorts we’ve been to. There are three infinite cold jacuzzis by the main bars that are excellent for cooling off and for taking glamour selfies! Having so many tweens and teens with us, we enjoyed the more compact size and practical layout of the property — there’s a main central area between the main pool and the snack bar (by the activity board) that made it easy to locate our teens. Staff was, for the most part, very friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff was excellent and would return at a later time if somebody was using the room. Water bottles were always left in the mini-fridge. The buffet was decent and appetizing, although a little bland for my spicy international palette. I didn’t hear any complaints from our group except to remark about the scarcity of hot sauce. I’m sure we each gained a few pounds each over the week! Watch out for the hair-braiding women by the jewelry market as they are aggressive and overwhelming, and you can easily get trapped. We booked a couples massage at the spa through Felix and enjoyed it very much. BIG Thank You to the medical team for helping our friend when he was hit by a huge wave and had to go to the hospital (Do NOT swim on a red-flag day!). Bring insulated tumblers for your drinks, as the bartenders use plastic disposables and you will feel guilty by all the waste created. My daughter loved the nightly shows and always looked forward to them. Our group enjoyed the musical entertainment in the outdoor lounge by the a la carte restaurants, and we had a blast in the disco a couple of times (you may want to bring earplugs). The resort had a stage set up with DJ, dancing, and fireworks for NYE 2020 and we even got to watch Vladimir Putin give his speech on a big screen (for the many Russian Tourists). My one recommendation to the resort would be to add a suitcase stand or extra storage shelves to the rooms -- I like to be organized and found it difficult with so few shelves.

Without hesitation, I recommend Casa Marina for a couple or family on a budget. It's a fantastic place for a group traveling with teens. As soon as we returned my parents decided to book a week in January, and will be staying in the new adults-only Select Area (lucky them!)

Room tip: Renovated Deluxe Garden View (2200s) has a view of the main pool.
Date of stay: December 2019
4  Thank 511chantelleb
FranklinD257, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Casa Marina Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020