“Best vacation so far!!!!”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Toronto
“Best vacation so far!!!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2010

We had an absolute blast at the Casa Marina Reef. And will definitely be back VERY soon!!! First the resort, yes the rooms are simple BUT for the price we paid we weren't expecting anything spectacular! They were clean and comfortable and thats all that matters.. PLUS who goes on vacation to stay in the room anyway!!! The staff were all fantastic and VERY helpful! Especially the bellman who we called Maximus all week by mistake! haahaa!!! The pools are clean and relaxing and cold which was nice because it was HOT out!! The beaches are great. The food was great too!! The buffet is typical but we loved the food! We only managed to go to the Mexican restaurant because we were too busy in the evenings!

The number one thing I loved about the resort is that it is in the middle of Sosua and Sosua is a fantastic town! We spent a lot of time off the resort at the local pubs. Do not be afraid to venture outside of the resort, it is VERY safe and everyone is super friendly. You will get haggled by people trying to braid your hair or sell you jewelry but all you have to do is kindly say no and just keep walking and they will leave you along. As long as you are friendly about it they are super nice!!! The Jolly Roger (pub a block away from the resort) is THE PLACE TO GO!!! Their beer is always flowing and cheap and their food is FANTASTIC!!! We ate there a lot mainly because we have friends who work there!
We will be back to the Casa Marina this year for sure!! It was our best vacation yet.. and that is saying something since the last vacation we had was our honeymoon and the vacation before that is where my husband and I met... heehee!! You couldn't ask for a better place!! (I've been to the 5 star resorts before and I would MUCH prefer the Casa Marina to them).

PS for those of you who would prefer the 5 star resorts please don't go to the casa marina because you will spend the week complaining and it will ruin other peoples vacations!! You get more than what you pay for at the Casa Marina for sure but it is a 3.5 star resort!! We had a few people on our flight down and back that complained the entire week because they were used to 5+star places where they would pay $3000 per person...

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gemnah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Very high standards for a 3 star hotel, Staff was amazing! very friendly and helpful(as most Dominicans) Even on rainy days you'll find plenty activities.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dasteez
Woodstock
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Amazing food and much selection.
Three pools to choose from.
hammocks and outdoor jacuzzis.
Incredible staff.
Amazing night life.
Beautiful beach, no locals harassing you.
Great jungle trip.
All over Incredible.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank xoerikaxo
Ottawa
Reviewed February 6, 2010

if your looking for cleanliness and good food do not come to this resort. The rooms are dirty and everything is broken. when my wife and i first arrived we were talking with the
travel rep about the resort , and her bellboy boyfriend jelously put his arm around the rep
and let me know that she was his girlfriend in front of my wife.we arrived in the room and nothing was really clean there was dirt on the floor and a ring around the toilet bowl.the room service consisted of bed making and floor moping. We only had two bottles of water for the whole vacation. The sheets were never changed the whole week. The tv remote was broken and and the rooms were not very secure so lock up your stuff in the safe which cost 15 u.s.There was also bugs in the room. Our first room had no AC and we suffered for 2 days before they moved us.
the staff at the resort were not well spoken in english and would ignore you as much as they could.There was no service with a smile and no thank yous even with a tip. At the a la carte you would receive food that had been cooked for hours before and kept warm on a plate which had burned the kids and myself a few times.The food was fishy even the rice and veggies.the buffet was the same thing day in and day out with different presentation.I love bananas but not mashed or boiled. I never knew you could do so many things with bananas.There was not one steak or one peice white chiken the whole week.all the food was third class. we were so hungry that we scaled the wall of the next hotel and paid $250 USD for steak at josephs (which was excellent by the way) wine was only avaliable at supper. and the MASSIVE cockroaches around the resort made us nervous and parinoid to eat there. the staff was so unfriendly...they looked annoyed to even acknowledge us and when they did it was after persistance. half the staff wouldn`t even give us a second glance when trying to get their attention even thou we knew they heard us. i even got called a liar by the front desk staff as did my 58 year old aunt. babysitting service was only avalible when the poor overworked cleaning lady felt like it. i think they had 2 maids cleaning the whole resort. plus she didnt speak a word of english which makes for a really akward babysitter. some days our room wasnt cleaned until supper time. my sister had to fight her to change the sheets that her son peed in without any success. we slept in sand covered sheets the whole week. when trying to bring up this to resort staff we were ignored and treated like we were in the wrong. everything was a fight with this resort and staff. kids club was non-existant...it was either cancelled or the the staff were MIA. we fought with our rep with no resloution. the kids were bored and restless with nothing to do and no activities geared towards children. the one day the kids club was functional, we saw the kids sitting at the bar with the drunken adults sitting around doing nothing. this place had no daytime activities unless you like 1 hour of aerobics with old folks. the only good thing about this resort was the private beach. the outside of the resort and surrounding property was beautiful i might add. 90 % of the loungers were broken which was disapointing. we tried to eat off the resort as much as possible despite the warnings from our rep. when making our drinks the bartenders put way too much alcohol in them. it was as if they didnt want us to come back and bother them for more drinks. and when asking for more mix it was like pulling teeth!!!! i have never felf so annoying in my life! when making complaints to the resort manager hostar gomez...it was pointless. he became just as rude and agrumentative as the other staff. when filling out the feedback form at the end of our stay i am sure they went straight in the trash along with the others. i felt sorry for the other guests arriving off the bus with a big smile on thier faces expecting an awsome vacation. all in all i will never go back to the casa marina as well as all the others we met vacationing there. the people who wrote possitive feedback must have really low standards. we werent expecting a 5* but we were expecting to get treated with respect. the staff and the food destroyed our vacation.

and just a side note sosua is known for prostitutes so going off the resort be expected to be hassled...even with a wife on your arm and kids at your feet.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sosua hotels

toronto
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Casa marina Reef is a great property located in the town of Sosua. the grounds are well kept and very tropical, probably my favourite part of the resort.

Yes there were lots of ants in the bathroom on the counter and sometimes we would see them on our night table, but not a big deal, not like we were in the room much. But I can see that it wouldn't be good for people who get easily disgusted. Other than that, it's pretty clean.

Food was ok. Buffet was pretty similar every night, but they did change a few items. make sure you go to the buffet near the front entrance, and go early. We found the food there to be the best, and it was the best right at 6:30. We went late a few times 9:30 and the food was horrible.
Italian was great, lasagna very good with loads of cheese.
Seafood was fantastic. Seabass, calamari, and skewer were amazing. Found that the Lobster and Shrimp were over priced. (lobster and shrimp are extra)
Mexican was not good, but I don't generally like mexican dishes in the first place.

Pool was great, really big with lots of room to swim, but can be a little cold. Very hard to find a seat if the beach is closed, make sure you get up early and save a spot.

beach is great when it's open. Sometimes they close off the beach when the waves are to high. in that case, go to Sosua public beach. (beautifull)

My biggest complaint is the service. For the most part the female servers were okay, but most of the men were terrible. Everytime you asked for something it was as if you were bothering them. they would roll there eyes, or take a very long time, or turn to there counterpart, say something in spanish and walk away. A lot of times when you asked for something, they would pass it off to another server. I'm not picky and I don't ask for much, I'm talking about asking for things like napkins, cutlery, water, and at the bar asking for more than one drink at a time. i am a pretty active traveller and tip very well, i usually start with 5's the first few days and then dollars after that. made no difference. i watched a waiter kick a broken piece of tile into the corner so he didn't have to pick it up.
And as far as service, it is almost non-existent in the buffets. You have to get up for your own water, coffee, beer, kind of annoying when you're there to relax.

All in all is was a pretty good place. remember it's not a 5 star or even a 4, it's a 3 star resort so don't expect much in the way of service, but the setting is very nice.

Don't forget to get your picture taken by Paoulo. it's a free service offered by a professional photographer, (amazing). You only pay 10 bucks for each picture you like.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Saskatchewan
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Our trip to the Casa Marina was fantastic! We arrived on Jan 26 2010 and stayed for one week. The weather was fabulous. The food in the buffets was very good, with a lot of selection, by the end of the week it started to get repetitive, but there was ALWAYS something good to eat. The a la carte restraunts were also very good (be sure to book these on your first day there between 930 and 1130 am or you may not get to eat at all 3 of them ). Lots of bars to choose from and they all made excellent drinks! Be sure to bring a " to go mug" as they are bigger and then the grounds keepers aren't continually picking up your empty glasses. There are 2 beaches on this property that are both gorgeous (you do need to pay to use the umbrella's they are $3 for the day). There are plenty of chairs on the beaches and around the pools and jacuzzis, we never eve had a problem finding a chair in the area we wanted to sit. The cold water jacuzzi's are heaven!!! There are 3 of them that over look the ocean, a great place to meet people as well. The grounds are beautiful, and the grounds keepers are constantly tending to them. There is a massage place on site with great prices ($15 dollars for a half hour massage, plus a list of other services) the massage table looks over the ocean with the waves crashing into the rocks! The shows at night were entertaining, I have seen better shows, but it's something to do, and it was always a full house (be sure to get there early if you want to sit). The rooms on the reef side are nothing special. A basic shower/tub in the bathroom, 2 double beds, dresser closet and either a balcony or a walk out to the pool. The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff did a good job. There is only power in the room when the room key is inserted in the box, so you cannot keep the airconditioning running all day but if closed up properly it shouldn't be a problem, our room was always nice and cool. There are no alarm clocks or hairdryers so be sure to bring your own.
The resort is directly accross the street from a baseball diamond which the locals used everyday. Just walk accross the street and watch some very good baseball. It was quite entertaining! Sosua beach is only a 5-10 min walk from the resort through town....and is a beautiful beach with a lot of the markets right there for shopping/bartering.
Some concerns I had with this resort were that there are time share people on the resort that will not take no for an answer, we could not walk to the beach, the bar, or the restraunt with at least one or more of these time share people harassing us. Also the resort states that there is a doctor on site, which there is, however the supplies he has is no more than a first aide kit. There was a serious medical emergency while we stayed and there was nothing the doctor could do as his equipment is not sufficient to deal with emergencies.
There is internet in the front lobby which is cheap ($5 for an hour). There is also a "bank" to exchange canadian or american money into pesos (american money is widely accepted though). There is also a small convienience store in the lobby (which can be expensive).
Overall we had an amazing time, met a lot of great people, and cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lindz_b
Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2010

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW!!! I KNOW IT'S LONG BUT IT'S NOT WORTH IT TO HAVE YOUR VACATION RUINED TOO!!!
For those who want the review in a nutshell, here goes: If you enjoy sleeping with and lounging around with hundreds of small ants in your room on your vacation, poor food that does not change the whole time you're there, and rude front desk staff that won't throw you an inflatable ring or life jacket if you're drowning...THEN THIS HOTEL IS FOR YOU!!!

For those who want the detailed review, read on.
We arrived at Casa Marina Reef at around 12:00 pm. We went to check in and they gave me an envelope with a photocopied version of their brochure and a TV remote. Then, we had to sit and wait in the lobby for over 2 hours for our room. After waiting, one of the bell boys brought our luggage to our room after I told the front desk staff we could bring it ourselves. When we got to our room, he just stood there expecting a tip which was awkward.

Front Desk Staff:
-Front desk staff doesn’t care if you’re alive or dead.
-If you call the front desk staff for anything to be brought to your room, expect to make a 2nd call(at least) and don’t expect whatever you want for at least an hour. We waited over an hour for 1 roll of toilet paper.
-In most cases, it doesn’t matter what you need or want, they won’t help you. Be prepared to fix the problem yourself.
-Every person I dealt with at the front desk was of zero help or assistance to me for anything, it’s best to talk to the supervisor or manager.
-While at the front desk, we were not told what time or where meals were served so that was a guessing game. We missed lunch and dinner the first day.

Rooms:
Room # 1:
The first room we were sent to was okay (other than the musty smoke smell, try to request a non-smoking room if that bothers you) until about 3 days in when hundreds of tiny ants infested it. I’m not exaggerating, I mean hundreds. Please note: We did NOT have food or drinks other than water in any of our rooms. We gave them the benefit of the doubt, we stayed in the room for another 2 nights to see if they would correct the problem but of course they didn’t. I went to the front desk calm and collected and asked if we could change our room as my boyfriend was completely irate by this point. They said they would send someone to spray the room with pesticide so we could still sleep in there. At this point, my boyfriend had steam coming out of his ears so I told him to go have a beer and take a walk while I dealt with the issue. So I told the front desk staff that we would really appreciate another room and that where I come from we don’t sleep with bugs as I’m sure Dominicans don’t either so they could understand my dilemma. They were still very reluctant to give us another room. So I then got frustrated and said I want to speak to your manager or supervisor, it was only then that they finally agreed to give us another room.
Room # 2:
At this point, we were just so frustrated that it was nice to finally get what we wanted. When we got to the new room, there was paint cans, ladders, chairs on the beds, the beds were upside down, it was lovely let me tell you. We went back to the front desk and told them what the room was like and very reluctantly I might add, they gave us a third room.
Room # 3:
The third room was the best out of all of them. It was a non-smoking room and had they given me that room to begin with, I never would’ve complained once. Even though there were approximately a hundred ants (not exaggerating at all) that we killed in that room too. Unfortunately, we didn’t get that room until the 5th night there.
-We were not the only ones that had ants; I spoke to a number of people who had a few, not as many as us but still.
-No hairdryer.
-No clock/alarm clock.
-No face cloths.
-Luckily I brought Lysol wipes as the bathroom had soap residue, dirt, ants, and mold on the shower curtain. I might as well have been the maid.
-You only receive 2 bottles of water the whole time you’re there but they do have refilling stations.
-Unless you’re a really heavy sleeper, you’ll be woken up by other guests closing the loud doors early in the morning.
-The whole time we were there, it was a constant battle with the TV to turn on and/or change channels and if you call the front desk, they are of little help. Tip: When the TV is on and all you see is static, try pressing FAV or Channel up/down.
-For those of you who like freshly painted/modern rooms, this hotel is not for you. This hotel does need a bit of an overhaul. There’s water stains on the ceilings, the floors have dirt ground in the tile grout, cracks in the paint, etc. but I don’t really care about things like that especially as it is a 3 ½ star and I’m only in the room to bathe and sleep but those who do care, you won’t like it there.

Food:
-VERY limited selection for “picky eaters”.
-Same food every single day for the whole time that you’re there.
-Eggshells in scrambled eggs two days.
-Long black hair baked into the bread one day.
-A lot of nice but a lot of rude servers as well.
-The only ways the buffet changes is that they dress up the trays and decoration around the food and call it a different name such as Gala, Dominican, Americano, etc.
-At the Italian a la carte(Luiggi), I ordered the pepperoni pizza which had tomato chunks and onions hidden in the sauce. My boyfriend ordered the lasagna and he said it reeked of melted butter, don’t expect real Italian cuisine here.
-In the afternoon, the Italian a la carte restaurant (Luiggi) turns into a snack bar with pizza, fries, burgers, hot dogs, etc. The rudest employee I encountered was there. He was a cook there. They have a little display case with pizzas turning under the heat lamp. The only kind of pizza I eat is either just cheese for pepperoni and cheese. The 2nd or 3rd day I was there, there was a pepperoni pizza in the display case and there was no pizza in the serving tray so I asked him if he could cut it up. He then ignored me and walked away. So I followed him and asked him again, and he ignored me and walked away again. So I asked him a third time and he looked really upset about it but I didn’t care, it’s there for people to eat, that’s what I paid for. He finally cut it up and pretty much threw it onto my plate. I never seen another pepperoni pizza the whole time I was there. My boyfriend and I decided to go there for lunch another day. There wasn’t much there that I ate so I decided to make toast on the sandwich press. The rude cook came all the way out of the kitchen just to unplug the sandwich press as I was making my toast. So I asked my boyfriend to do it for me, and of course it was plugged in. The whole time I was there he always starred me down and looked at me like he wanted to put a curse on my whole family.
-On the weekends when the locals come onto the resort, you usually have to wait for a seat at dinner.

Miscellaneous:
-Beaches closed for the first 2 days of our vacation due to rough waves.
-You don’t receive your free bottle of rum as promised in the Nolitours 2009-2010 book unless you’re a repeat customer.
-The promised “gift” as stated in the Nolitours 2009-2010 book is an envirobag.
-On the weekends, they allow the locals to come onto the resort for a fee, which makes it VERY crowded, and a lot of locals that we encountered were very rude.
-The sheets on our beds were not changed once in 7 days and we did leave the maid a tip every day.
-Every few days, the resort brings locals onto the property to sell their items and they do nothing but harass you even if you say no thank you.
-Cool pools and regular pools and usually pretty busy especially on weekends.
-If you’re a hammock lover, don’t expect to get one on the weekend.
-Only 4 hammocks in the whole resort.
-During our trip, a man had a heart attack in the amphitheatre and they continued blasting music and going on with the show until they were told to shut everything off about 3 – 5 minutes later. When the doctor was trying to revive him, the staff allowed a huge crowd of guests to sit there and watch like a spectator sport. The ambulance drivers arrived approximately 30 minutes after he had the heart attack, they went to the front desk and got paid first and then took the stretcher to the man.

Helpful hints if you do go to this resort:
-Bring Lysol/Clorox wipes.
-Bring a face cloth.
-If you go off of the resort, be careful of locals as you would be in any country.
-If you go to the local shop strip along Sosua beach, don’t bring a lot of money with you and ladies, don’t bring a purse. Put your money into a tight pocket in which only you can get to. The little pocket in lululemon pants works really well.
-Bring hand sanitizer.
-Bring a travel sized alarm clock or use your cell phone(make sure you bring the charger though because mine died a few times as it roams the whole time you’re there).
-If you are going to choose this hotel, it’s best to book last minute and get the cheapest price you possibly can. We paid $869 per person(booked exactly 3 weeks before leaving) which was WAYYYY too much for this hotel as we met a couple that had booked the day before they left and paid less than $600 per person.
-CAUTION!!! If you buy the mamajuana(it’s just wood chips in a liquor bottle that you put your own liquor into and let it ferment it makes a new liquor) which is a big thing in Dominican, you either need to put vodka/rum, etc. into it before you leave for the airport or don’t declare it on your immigration paper because if you do declare it, they’ll take it away from you, that’s what happened to us. The flight attendant told us to declare it and ours got taken away and we knew people who didn’t declare it and got away with it.
-Make sure if you book an excursion to do it with your rep. DO NOT BOOK WITH OUTSIDE COMPANIES!!! Even if they are a little bit cheaper, if anything happens, you won’t get your money back.
-If you plan on going snorkeling, bring your own snorkel gear, as it can get quite expensive to buy it on site. We made that mistake as well.
-Most of you will know this already but all I can say is BARTER BARTER BARTER!!! when buying from the locals.
-We bought from one vendor along the Sosua beach local shop strip who gave us a really good deal and we didn’t even barter that much, he was a really nice guy. His name is Steady Eddy. I believe his shop is # 17.
-If you have issues with your room, etc., be sure to see your rep, they can be pretty helpful. We didn't find this out until the 6th day of our trip.
-As with any Caribbean resort, if you have children, be aware of nudity.
-In our third room, I put a towel underneath the door to block the ants from coming in. They still did but not as many.
-Pack the night before you leave and set your travel alarm clock or cell phone as you won’t get your wake up call if you request one. This saves you a lot of hassle in the morning.
-When you go to check out, make sure you bring your TV remote, lock for the safe(if you buy one), as well as you beach towels because you'll have to go back to the room and get them.
-We bought the safe, which was a really good idea and a good value. It was $15 US for the whole 7 days.
-There are nightly shows which seem to be more family oriented but still worth the watch. It gives you some entertainment.
-Once or twice a week, they will have a movie night in the amphitheatre , which was pretty good. It's not crowded either.

Good side of Casa Marina Reef Resort:
-Polite and friendly bar tenders.
-Nice scenery.
-Ice cream that is available at the buffets for lunch and dinner.
-Pineapple and Bananas available at the buffets.
-Margaritas.
-Tequila Sunrises.
-Daiquiris.
-Cocktail of the day(usually).
-Swimming in the ocean.
-Hammocks.
-Sunsets.
-Movie night.
-Omelets

In conclusion, I realize that this is a 3 ½ star resort and you can’t expect luxury. All I expect from a resort are the basics, which I did not receive here. This hotel has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I don’t know if I’ll ever go on a vacation again, as this was our first one. I just want everyone to know the truth. Please do not waste your money here. You will not get what you pay for. It’s best to spend the extra couple hundred dollars and go to at least a 4 star. Trust me, we were counting down the days until we went home from the beginning. Thank you for taking the time to read this review.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hibiscus20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
#5 of 30 in Sosua
Puerto Plata Village Resort
Puerto Plata Village Resort
#36 of 40 in Puerto Plata

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!