“Alex Winnipeg Friendly staff,a great place for a inexpensive vacation”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have been at the Casa Marina 6 times, the last time was for 2 weeks in February 2014. The beach is beautiful,the grounds are well looked after.It is nice that the resort is right in town.The negative would be the rooms should be more updated, especially with some drawers for clothes. We keep coming back to the Casa Marina because of the staff, they have made it a wonderful place for us to go. Our stays have always been great because of the friendly staff,with Aridio the bellhop,Fabia,Wendy,Danela the waitresses and the most thanks goes to the reception desk especially Jose Miguel for his professonal conduct to make our stay special.The reception always dictates your welcome. We are planning another trip this winter to the Casa Marina for some sun,tranquillity and spend time with the nice people of the Dominican.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlexWinnipeg

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I didn't expect much when I decided last minute to book a 3.5 star hotel. I read the reviews and they seemed decent. I need to say that I was absolutely thrilled with my decision to come to this hotel. I'm not sure what people who wrote terrible reviews were expecting for the price. Yes you have to wait in lines at reception to get stuff done, I had to go back three times to get a working remote, but I don't get upset about things like that, it actually became comedic. I had an ocean view room on the top floor, it's a lot of stairs but with all the eating and drinking, the exercise did me good. The beds are VERY comfortable (which is generally not the case in my experience with AI's) and they have many English speaking channels to watch. There was an older lady who needed her room changed because she couldn't walk the stairs and they obliged and changed her room. I found all the staff very friendly and willing to please. They didn't serve wine during the day (only in the evenings and not always till last call) so that was a bit annoying as I'm a white wine drinker but that was my only real complaint. The location of this place is awesome. It's right in town and I felt very safe walking around. The locals can be a bit pushy trying to get your business but just politely say no and walk away. I went to the dollar store before my trip and bought a bunch of stuff for the kids (there are many poor children begging for money). They were thrilled with markers, crayons, colouring books, bouncy balls etc. I also bought some t-shirts which people were very grateful for. The overall experience was awesome and I would return to this resort without hesitation. If you are looking for a 5 star experience than pay the extra money and go to a 5 star resort, but for the price I paid, I was pleasantly surprised with my trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
8  Thank Kat_Blazanin
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Loved the location, close to the airport, walking distance to shops and public beach. The downside was definitely the food.... Very limited choices, not much variety. Not a big deal, but the lighting in the rooms was horrible, very hard to get ready as there is only one lamp in the room, which made it hard to get ready,

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Janneyg102
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed for 7 nights. We have been to Puerto Plata (Blue Bay) and others as well as Punta Cana. Punta Cana has gotten very expensive. Mostly new and no mountains. All resorts, no locals. We loved the grounds. The rooms were not bad, the beds really comfortable. Being a quieter time of the season it was abit dull in entertainment for sure and not impressed with the food at all. Ate in town a number of times which was awesome food. The staff are not motivated to ensure you enjoy your stay for sure. Nice to walk out front of resort and be right downtown but shopping sucked and as most areas they bug you to come and shop. The street girls are rampant if thats what you want but usually dont bother you unless a single guy. Very persistent. Some men are there for just that but in the resort tactful. Legal there so... Spent a very late night out with locals in bars. An experience to say the least. Be very careful late at night but day time no issue at all. Paid $30 for week of wifi which is 1/2 cost in P.P. resort. $15 safe, again 1/2 of PP resort. If you get to buffet as soon as opens its good but after abit horrible. Vendors allowed on resort 2 days while we were there push to sell esp. Because quieter now. Offer 1/2 of asking. Learn to say no. You will need to many times. Jacuzzis on ocean beautiful. Weekends, locals get cheap rates and pile in with kids to eat, drink, swim. Lifestyle Reps everywhere bugging you to go to meeting so they get commission then sales takes over to sell you timeshares. Drinks are good. A few friendly ones if you tip now and again. A definate 3 star. Dont forget to take your blue issued beach towel and TV remote with room key when checking out. It will cost you if not. Be careful in town as a ton of mainly motorcycles and pedestrians do not have right of way . There are no rules just honk.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Howeller63
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My trip to Casa Marina Beach & Reef Sosua Jan to march 2014
I have been a this same hotel from 2001 for at least more than 25 times again this year for 52 days... and could have stayed 3 weeks more if my wife had more holidays... This hotel is getting much better improving lots of new things such as food
Staff changes-new food area etc

Anybody complaining of this Hotel is a bit difficult or more....I been traveling to Mexico,Cuba,Jamaica,Florida,and many more for the last 45 years... this is my spot for a long time... but I still visit other place... but my rest area is Casa Marina Beach resort I don't care what other people say....that's their problem not mine because we are happy to be their relaxing

I met the manager and the owner and I heard they are planning many changes but can’t talk about them so be in the lookout for new stuff

Also the Assistant managers for food are working very hard to improve lots of change
-the menus -the food -the area etc

Yes we have book for another 76 days for Jan-March 2015 already and can’t hardly wait to be there again and again thanks Casa Marina Beach & Reef Sosua for being there for us...we love you so much all u guys and you know who you are....
to bad for your lost quality price you can't beat it....

Room Tip: Rooms on the Beach side are quieter and on one side their is more shade if you prefer
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jean-Paul M
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

The casa marina was a wonderful vacation. The food was excellent and we never went hungry. The water was beautiful, the land scape was amazing, and the entertainment was fun. The staff are very polite, friendly, and outgoing. The room was very basic, but the resort did they're best to accommodate your needs. We went on an excursion with Mathel travel to paradise island, and it was worth every penny and then some! I would recommend staying at casa marina!

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Amanda P
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We booked a week long, all-inclusive stay at the resort only to find out we were haggled on a regular basis by men dressed in fedoras asking us to go to Lifestyles Vacation Resort. Every morning they solicited us on our way to breakfast, the tour company also tried getting us to go on various tours. They came down to the beach to haggle, they came in the buffet, they came down our hallway, they came to the pool, they called us over and over and over again in our room until we gave in on our third horrible day there only to be haggled in Puerto Plata by another salesman for a ridiculously expensive resort that wasn't really that great. We constantly felt under attack at this place until we just had enough, got really upset, and told everyone to get lost. The resort is nice, the beach is beautiful, the food is mediocre at best, but the constant battling of sales staff made it horrible. If you can deal with that, by all means go, if you hate being bothered every second of every day, you may look somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank McFlojo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
#36 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Sosua by the Sea
Sosua by the Sea
#4 of 30 in Sosua

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!