“Bad services of all!!”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was staying for two nights with cousins. First night in the room, the tv turn off and never turn on again. We call more than 5 times every day for a technician to fix the tv, and he never came!!!. Food wasn´t the best, there's not variety in the menu. I like the location and the beach was beautiful. Actually, drinks were very cheap. They don´t have snacks between meals, if you´re hungry further than 10o'clock at night, you have to go out for something to eat.

Room Tip: I don't suggest to anybody accommodate in this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tomas S

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed Memorial Weekend(for a total of 5 days) at this hotel. May 24-May 26th..It was ok. The staff was friendly..the guy that goes by the name of Brooklyn was very sweet as was Iris at the front desk. We happened to meet some guys that were originally from the Dominican Republic that live in the United States now but was vacationing the same time. So they showed us lots about the town. The hotel is in a great spot..The food was ok..drinks were good. The location was the best..You can walk up town..watch baseball games across the street..we rented dune buggies and went out into the land..off the roads..the people in the community was very nice. We did experience the timeshare people at the resort but when you advised you were not interested they left us alone..the activities were great..and the paintings and jewelry that the haitians and other people bring in on specified nights were really nice. The housekeepers were really sweet. On the weekends you do encounter alot of locals paying for the day passes and they bring the families and their kids onto the resort. You can also tell alot of wealthy businessmen pay for the prostitues to come on the grounds as when they enter the cafeteria..You can tell ordinarily the young ladies would not entertain these men if they were locals. Down the street they have what I have deemed the "hoe stroll" because you can get whatever..whenever and however you want..but hey it is definitely something for everyone on the resort..or around the resort..Overall I probably would not stay if I went back because it is nicer hotels at the same price as this one..And beware of the "sanky panky men lurking"...and you should be good!

Room Tip: The rooms near the pools are noisy..
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dkcarter27
Reviewed July 22, 2013

crammed with rude locals who are stuffing food into their bags, running riot!
No fridges in the rooms, air con doesn't work properly, no hair driers, food is really bad, drinks are like water !!!! omg never again!

Room Tip: just dont go there
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kimnco
Reviewed July 16, 2013

i was at casa marina sosua first week of july, went to my room there was a very bad smell like chemical product sprayed just before i got in, asked to change room, they changed my room other room still had a smell, for sure i was more used to 5 stars than 3 stars, but still, i paid more than many of the 5 stars hôtels i was in before, second day at midnight my room key was not functionning, i called from my friends room to get another key, they would not send somebody with a key i had to go to front office to get a key, then on sunday lunch time we had reserved our table at the buffet with our towels, went to get our food and when we got back somebody had taken our place (dominican) and put our towels on the floor, there was no other tables available we had to eat standing up!!!! There was no hot water in both our rooms, but everytime after we called it in there would be hot water 5 minutes after!! so they were probably turning off the hot water!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank milly591
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Casa Marina Beach Resort is a nice All Inclusive Resort
If you have never been to an "All Inclusive" resort before, you will love it.
All you can eat and drink, all included.
And they do not skimp on the alcohol in the drinks
Now mind you the rum can strip paint off wood, but they pour a lot of it.
And the beer is local and cold and straight from the tap.

I was fond of the restaurant
They served a lot of very typical Dominican dishes including Sancocho which I loved.
However, it is very institutional, and certainly a buffet with all the attendant baggage that a buffet and buffet food brings, but it was over all pretty tasty.
Only exception was the Steak. One night they had a carving station where they carved a roast.
Apparently our "Steak" lost the third race at Pimlico because it was anything but tender.

The grounds were clean and well kept
The pools were large and filled to the brim with kids.
Lots and lots of Local Dominicans. I would say 90% locals and 10% Tourists from other countries.
The rooms were nice enough and the beds were comfortable
I personally had a problem with the Air Conditioning in the first room so I got moved
And in the second room they had literally ripped the little button that allows you to control the temperature off the control panel. So you had a choice of on or off and "Cold" was not an option. Cool? Yes. Cold? Not so much.

In the evening there was a skit comedy cultural show in the main auditorium.
It was in Spanish so I did not know what was going on, but I was there with 2 young Dominican women who thought it was the greatest show they had ever seen. Lots of dancing, some comedy, more dancing, your usual "Cultural" show. As such, if you are Dominican I would strongly suggest you watch the show.

I paid $172.00 per night for 3 people in 1 room. So slightly less than $60 per person.

At that price I thought it was a very good bargain.
I would recommend it

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Carl R
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel and I sometimes wonder if I am at the same hotel many people complain about, it's 3 star and I am very well aware of what a 3 star hotel in the DR is like and for what I paid it was great. (This is quite a long review as I want people to understand where they are going )
I e-mailed the hotel before I travelled and requested the same room as I had last year and a fridge, however they replied saying that it was taken and offered me one just a few doors away. When I arrived at the hotel check in was quick and easy Iris on the front desk speaks good English, and a porter helped me with my cases. when I arrived at the pre-arranged room there was actually someone already in it, went back reception they allocated me another immediately on the 2nd floor as I had requested. This room was fine. On my way into town I reminded Iris about my fridge request. When I arrived back from town, Iris called me over to the reception desk and advised me they were changing my room again, not very convenient as I had already unpacked some stuff, but was glad I agreed. A porter helped me and on entering new room not only did I find the requested fridge which was stocked with beer and coke, but also a small bottle of rum, a fruit platter, and an extra card to keep my Air Con on at all times. None of this was expected, but maybe my politeness and patience went a long way towards them going beyond what was expected.

Room:- a little dated but two big double beds yes they are very firm but I like this, flat screen T.V, wardrobe with hangers, Bathroom old/dated but clean had 2 bottles of water, mini shampoo/conditioner. Maid was brilliant, bed was maid everyday with the sheets changed every other day. Yes the towels are collected in a morning and not replaced till 4/5pm but if your prepared to use them more than once just hang them back over the rail and hay presto you have them till the next day. (u would use a towel at home more than once wouldn't u ?) I ALWAYS had hot water.

Service:- Iris at reception was outstanding with extremely excellent English, the rest of the reception staff were also great, all understanding and speaking English, Bar and waiting staff were amazing, served in turn and even on a weekend when the place was packed I never waited that long for a drink, however it dose help that I can shout my drinks order in Spanish as loud as anyone else. The staff were so good that people I was with could just go to the bar and say there round and then just add oh and one for Ana Maria as the staff took the time to find out my name and remembered what I drunk :-)

Food / Restaurant / Bar:- Well you get what you pay for if you want 4/5* food then pay those prices, Breakfast was the best, Snack Bar always something to eat pizza, fries, burgers etc Buffet was ok always something there and if all else fails the pasta bar was good, when I did use the Buffet on a night I was asked if I wanted a drink, but I am happy with water at meal times and this was provided on the tables, avoid the buffet on a weekend and book the a la carte's. Was a bit miffed that they no longer serve Barceló rum on the bars like last year but the rum they did serve was decent enough.

Entertainment :- the Animation team are nice enough, although they don't seem to have an actual entertainment programme. Activities may happen or they may not, on a night there are shows on a Thursday and a Saturday, there was a good band on maybe 2/3 times and a few games on other nights near where the buffet/disco is situated. Disco is open Friday - Sunday till 1am however if you want a proper night out I would head into Sosua

WEEKEND WARNING:- On a weekend the place is taken over by Dominican visitors, they have different ways, different methods and a different culture. If you are not going to embrace the differences and join in with their party / holiday spirit then I suggest you book excursions over the weekend, and book the speciality Restaurants for a night or head off resort and see some of the brilliant town of Sosua, just a few door away there is a lovely place called baileys that has decent food and decent prices. If you are not used to Dominican visitors their presence can be a bit overwhelming and some times shocking but take your time to speak to them where possible and you might just have a change of heart.

I would recommend this hotel to the type of people that are not fussed for luxury but want a decent hotel at a decent price in a brilliant location whether your a group of friends, solo or a family :-)

Room Tip: I ended up in room 2254 where the balcony looked over the main pool, so can be quite noisy, pick an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Ana-maria30
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have been to the resort twice. The first was around a year ago and the second was a few months later.
Food....yes they have food. And it's pretty much the same thing day after day. There was not a lot of fresh fruit and considering if you walk 100 yards of the resort you can get all the fresh fruit you need the lack of it baffles me.
Most of the meals were ok but nothing tO rave about.
Rooms...yea they have those also but again nothing to rave about. In my case the minuate I walked in the room I noticed that one of the legs of the bed were missing, you would think the staff would have noticed when they were prepping the room but they didn't .
The general mood of the staff was ok but for the most part they seemed to just be putting in time. Mind you the mood did increase when I started to give tips to get better service, normally I'm a high tipper but I base that on the service I get BEFORE I hand out money.
That being said I understand why this happens but I have been to the DR six times in the last year and this is the first time I have given less than 4 stars on any review.
The best suggestion I can give anyone going here for their first time trip to the DR is go to the resort, check in, unpack and then head out the front and turn to the right then you will see what Sosua has to offer. Resorts are great (well maybe not this one) but if you want to truly see the Dominican Republic and all it has to offer do yourself a favor and spend your time away from the resort and among the locals that is when your vacation will truly begin and you'll have story's to tell back home not about the food and the drinks but about the country and its people. Your friends won't be disappointed.
Finally if you choose to not hit the resort scence check out my reviews for Rockys and The Mary Rose. These two are high on the list of where you should stay for a vacation to remember.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business