Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“GREAT VACATION!!”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Sosua
Kingston, Canada
“GREAT VACATION!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was my best vacation experience so far. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is absolutely amazing! I would like to make a special thank you to Kinito for my making my stay a wonderful one. My Husband and I had a fantastic time because of him, and will definitely return in the new year! Kinito, thank you for being an awesome entertainer, and a great friend while we were at the hotel! We hope you're doing well.
XoXo
Lina and George

Room Tip: Rooms on the reef side are amazing
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lina G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
sarnia ont canada
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I returned to this resort in 2013 and how things have really changed for the worst ; the a/c did not always work it kept kicking out the breaker ; we called the desk several times they would reset the breaker and leave 10 minutes later or so it would kick out again ; I got so frustrated I put in a plastic fork in breaker box so it would not kick out ; this basically kept the lights on but the a/c would work only sporadically ; the clean staff were very good but the towels went out in morning and not returned till after 5 or 6 pm ;thank god I brought some extra ones from home or else no shower before supper ; lets talk about food its terrible here I had heartburn almost every day from their food ; one day it be good next day same thing be tough as shoe leather ; the only good stuff was breakfasts like how can you ruin breakfast oh yes the desserts were excellent too;our second week here we are out at local restaurants ;there are also not enough deck chaise lounges either at poolside or at the area by rocks along paths alot are broken ; plus alot of ignorant people on ground floors would take the chaise lounges put them on their patios and keep them there ;there are too many hawkers selling inferior products ar resort like fake cigars ;the resort does not care as they get a fee from these people to set up their stands here and every time u walk by they keep bugging u to buy something ;my room was basically clean but developed a leak in the ceiling we were on the 2nd floor so it must have been a water line ; it dripped onto the bed ;I called front desk their solution was for me to move my bed closer to the wall so the drip ended up on the floor till they could fix it which never happened; our rep from noli tours told us the place has been going downhill for over 4 years ; 1st they fired the kitchen staff cause they were asking to much money now they have different cooks almost every other day cooking thats why no consistency to food quality ; we asked for a mini fridge but he told us this our rep that there has been no fridges for 4 years the only way u might get one is if you are diabetic or have a baby that needs formula stored in it ; the only saving grace about this place is its close proximity to town and some very good resturants also both resorts ,casa marina reef and casa marina beach are fed breakfasts and dinner from one resturant area ; in 2003 it wa not like this each had its own so now it was very busy with limited seating unles u came very early for breakfast or supper with limlited staff and people looking for seating if u got up to go to washroom your table was cleared and some one else was sitting there when u got back so u needed to leave a personal item on your table saying u were still there ; now I know this is only rated a 3 star but the food has to be more consistant , one day I was eating a hamburger and almost broke a tooth biting into god knows what a bone or what ever ; same thing happened with a sausage ; one day I tried fried eggplant and thought maybe I made a mistake on my choose ; cause it tasted like fish ; everything is fried in the same oil here ; one day home fries are perfect next day they look fried but are raw on inside cause they have been cut too thick and only browned off looking done ;I;l never recommend this place to no one unless u get a super cheap rate and u eat outside this place ;one other warning do not use their free internet service ; 3 girls in our group got a whopping $400 bill at end of their syay as maybe they forgot to log off who knows ; they took their passports and wetre not going to let them go till the bill was paid ; there are plenty of internet cafes just down from the hotel where u can use internet for 60 pesos for an hour save yourself a head ache pay as u use ; the staff here is useless no one will tell u nothing about good resturants in town or that town is only a 5 minute walk away ; I knew how far we were and had no problems but many older people got dupped by moto chonco people and people paid upwards of 300 pesos to go downtown a piece the going rate is 50 pesos ;i;m coming back to sosua next april for a month but i;m going to rent a condo they are very inexpensive to rent ; you can ask locals where they eat out avoid the tourist resturants they are good but u can eat 30% cheaper in other local places ; casa marnia resort according to the nolitour person is going to be made into rental condos that is why no money is being put into services here right now ;yes one other bad thing our hotel card key kept loosing the magnetics on it and we had to have it reprogramed at least 6 times in 2 week stay

Room Tip: all rooms are basically the same u can ask for a corner room I heard they are more spacious but just...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank appinboy46

Travelers are raving about these Sosua hotels

Krusaa, Denmark
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Wonderfull area - but rooms a lack modernization. The area itself was wonderfull.
I would never go for x-mas and New year there Again - food was very booring - entertaiment for New Year was not existing - if you go there only then only because of weather and nice sea to swim in. Staff were polite - but very slow in serving.

Room Tip: Cannot recommend any room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aage P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The grounds of this resort are absolutely immaculate. They are a joy to walk around and very well kept. The private beach is one of the best beaches I have ever been on however note that the waves and undercurrent are not suitable for small children.

The room was below average even by Caribbean standards. It was very old and several things such as the room's only light did not work. Complaints to the front desk did not work and we finally got it fixed by bribing a member of the cleaning staff.

The front desk and a la carte restaurant service was decent however the service everywhere else was abysmal. The service staff in the buffet restaurant showed outright disdain for the tourists. This isn't a Dominican thing as most locals that I met were charming - it is definitely a problem with this restaurant. We had similar issues with the towel service and the people at the scuba desk - they barely had the time of day to assist you. It was their loss in the end as they got no tips.

Despite the negative aspects of this resort, I would probably return again if I could get a good deal just to enjoy the grounds and private beach.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Northern_Hiker
Boca Raton, Florida, USA
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Rooms are very good for sosua, Staff was very helpful , plenty of views, pools and alcohol. The food was decent too. I would recommend to venture outside the hotel, there are many opportunities for golf, 4wheeling, beach sports , you name it , its close or within a taxi ride.

Room Tip: ask for the rooms on the top floor facing the ocean, they are not that much more than a regular room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dominicanlifestyle
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

So, what can you expect.... Well, after a 8 hour red-eye flight, we arrived just in time to check in, and it`s not as bad as you think. (if you arrive on a week day, weekends are very hectic) Check in, get your safe key, and simply ask for a porter to help you find your room for the first time. We were greeted with prompt service, excellent English, and immediately taken to our rooms to start our adventure.

At first glance, I felt the resort looked a little ran down compared to others I have been to, but that feeling quickly disappeared thanks to touring the entire resort. It is a bit aged...but very well kept. Always someone around tidying up...even a guy with a water bucket splashing random spots on the walk paths. He was washing away spots that people had spit on the ground. The pool cleaners were out every morning by 7:30 and I never felt the pools to be dirty throughout the day.

The staff was always polite to my brothers and me...no matter what we were up to! The Fun Club/Resort Crew were a bit of a let down during the day time but only because I felt there English wasn`t that good. In the evenings, they understood the international language of `party`, and really made an effort to get everyone moving. If you have any worries about security on the resort, don`t. They were always around...but yet you never seen them until they were needed...or when we were too loud...

The food was good. The buffet lacked in variety, but was good enough to eat at for us. We tried the Mexican Restaurant one night, everyone enjoyed it, I thought it was average, but a great atmosphere. Was also told throughout the trip that the seafood restaurant was excellent, both food and service. Kinda confused about what restaurants were open for lunch, but always figured something out.

The beaches....okay, so it`s not white sand, but very well kept. Never seen empty cups, or garbage, and there was always plenty of beach chairs. I think you have to rent beach umbrellas, not sure, didn`t use one. As far as the waves, pay attention to the flags!!!! Red flag day means you cannot swim on the private beach. The security guards will say something to you, and strongly discourage you from going into the water....however...... There is a public beach that you can access from the resort. Although the red flag warnings stay the same for this beach, there is no security on this beach, so it is `swim at your own risk`. All I can say is the waves are tricky!!! They may seem small, but they can still knock over a 260lb man with no effort. We experienced 2 foot, to 10 foot waves, and after being beat down for four hours, we could all understand the stories in other reviews about injuries!! Keep your eyes open for sand crabs, they are fun to watch darting in and out of there holes.

Every second, or third night, they let vendors on the resort that set up shop between the buffet and the beach bar. Although not overly aggressive, they are going to try and stop you every time you pass. As with any vendors, you can barter a better deal, and we walked away relatively unscathed.

Two different services on the resort are there photographers and the dive excursions. The photographers take amazing photos, and you are not obligated to pay for random shots they take of you. (examples, pictures with iguanas, monkeys, or parrots) If you get them to do a photo session, you will get amazing pictures, and can negotiate prices after you decide how many you want. See Johnson and Anthony, they will help you out. (and they photo-shop...you will look good!!) The two guys with the dive team were Watson and X. Both amazing guys, and will get you on a great snorkelling/scuba trip that you will not forget. Make sure you ask X if he still has my Canadian towel!!

Stepping off the resort....this is an adventure. Let`s just say, I`m a father of two boys (12 and 13) and I guarantee I would not step off the resort with them. I stood out front of the resort long enough to take two pictures, and was approached about five times for various....not exactly legal reasons. A little overwhelming, but you learn quickly to say no thank you. I will say though, my one brother and I did tour the streets one night, and lived to tell about it, so maybe it`s not that bad. A highlight of the trip, for my brothers, touring the country side on rented scooters (with a guide for only $25 USD).

Now for the night life....we had a blast!!! Are the drinks watered down...maybe, but the best solution we found was to drink more. Problem solved!! There was a lot of bar staff that were `trainees` and they didn`t speak a lot of English, but they kept the drinks flowing for us, so the language issue was not an issue at all. We brought cards to the tables, started playing some drinking games, and our group of four quickly became a group of eleven. Canadians, Germans, Saudis, and others joined our group, and the bar staff kept up with us all!!! When the beach bar closed, we would move to the disco, and continue the fun with Karaoke, dancing, and further Cuba Libras. They do have a bar that is open on weekends. Small, crowded, loud....a lot of fun. Never had a concern on the resort with safety as security would point you in the right direction when you were stumbling back to your room. They tend to give streakers a head start...lol.

The only issue on this resort would be the room key. You only get one. You will not get another one. The room key controls the power in your room, which means when you are out of your room, there is no A/C running. This can make it a little hard to get some rest at night until the A/C gets to the right temperature. Plus if you need to charge a phone, or camera, you need to be in the room to do so.

They do have a couple of night time shows, we caught them both and enjoyed them as you can join them on stage at the end of the show to try to do there Casa Marina dance. If you are going there expecting five star treatment, I think it`s not totally out of reach. Being polite gets you a long, long ways. Remember, you are on vacation, it is what you make of it!!!! I would recommend this place as a get away from reality, maybe not the best place for a family, but an adventure any way you slice it!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank CAPNROB
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have stayed in a number of resorts, and even a few hostels and I can say that this was by far the worst experience I have ever had. I felt uncomfortable and unsafe through the majority of my stay.

I felt safer staying in a co-ed hostel in China than I did in my own room on the resort. The resort guards let people off the street come into the resort to use the washrooms, and I saw a number of those people leave the washroom and walk onto the resort to get food, drinks etc. The Dominican people who came in on weekends crowded you and tried to bully you into leaving your spot, and the people selling items on resort harassed you constantly. Worst of all was the rampant prostitution. I had no working phone the first 4 days, and no working lights the next four. Prostitutes even bought rooms for the weekend across from us to let "clientele" in. NOT a woman, or family friendly resort.

Room Tip: No rooms are good. Avoid rooms across from prostitutes (unlikely that you can), try and get rooms th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Hotel Sosua Sunrise
#6 of 31 in Sosua
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
#7 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!