“Great trip, minor inconveniences”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just returned Monday from a fabulous week long trip. My friend and I booked last minute, just to get away for a week. All we wanted to do was tan, swim, drink and enjoy the scenery which is exactly what we did. The grounds are absolutely stunning - I have been to 4 and 5 star resorts in Cuba and Mexico and they had nothing on this place. It was truly beautiful and very well maintained.
The rooms were definitely 3.5 star. I mean, they are by no means perfect but they are clean. And let's be honest - I did not intend to spend much time in the room therefore I was not too worried about it. There was hot water in the shower and a few English channels on the TV which was perfect.
We went with NoliTours and we were supposed to get 2 free bottles of water, which we never did get. The phone in our room didn't work so each time something went wrong we had to go up to reception. Initially, our light burnt out and with much complaining we did get it fixed. We never did get our water, but seriously it was a minor inconvenience compared to the big picture.
The food is JUST FINE. I don't know what people were eating to say that it's inedible. There's an egg/omlette station every morning and a pasta bar at lunch and at night. We ate at the three a la cartes which were all great.
Staff are all super friendly, funny, energetic and will do anything for you (for a small fee of course). No shortage of booze AT ALL. At one point, the bartender took the stopper off and just started dumping liquor into our Bubba Kegs.

I would recommend bringing a Bubba Keg, insulated coffee mug or something to keep your drinks cold in.
There are also NO FACE CLOTHS - so definitely bring something!
There are no hair dryers in the rooms either!

We did the catamaran (TipTop) and it was really really cool! Definitely an excursion I would recommend.

Overall, it was an absolutely amazing trip and I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Paid the extra $50 for an ocean view room - this puts you at the end of the hall with 2 balconies an...
1  Thank hjripley
Write a ReviewReviews (3,802)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I;ve visited this hotel on several trips but this tear it seems like the management has has work to do on this property ; my room on my up grade was suppose to have a mini fridge in it but had none and I was told by my my noiltour rep there that this hotel has not had any fridges for a at least 3 years ; my a/c kept turning off on its own even though I had my key card reprogrammed several times ; the food there was mediocre some days good but lots of days the beef was tough and so was the pork ; everything is fried in the same oil or grease so after awhile everything tastes the same ; they did have very good breakfast but lots of times the home fries were way under cooked ; the grounds were well kept but there were never enough chaise lounges at pool side or on the area facing the ocean and at alot were broken ; there was the odd chica there with older men but I heard they somehow bring them in by paying someone off they did not bother me so that's no issue with me ; there was a very distributing or should I say disgusting guest that I seen sunning himself by the ocean side wearing a outdated speedo type of bathing suit that was most likely worn out as that persons private areas were in plain view for all to see ; this man even sunbathed naked on his lounge chair or if he got up pulled his shorts up and everything just hung out for all to see ; there were children at this resort so finally I reported him to security ; other guests that I talked to also said that this gentleman practiced no sense of common decency being that he looked like he was in his late 60's ; security did show up after taking a picture of him and told him to cover up or leave ; they said they could charge this person with nudity in public but that I had to be a witness but I was leaving the next day ; this offensive gentleman if I could call him that ;got very lucky that I never reported him at the beginning of my week there or he 'd still be sitting in a Dominican jail ; topless is tolerated in the dominican but compete nudity is not nor is bathing trunks that reveal private areas ;that was my most disgusting part of my vacation at casa marina resort all other guest were well attired except this one old guy that who knows who he was trying to impress ;in previous years this resort used brugal run in their drinks but now they used a cheaper rum that always left a bitter taste in my mouth ;also the staff took your towels away in the morning so u could not shower at lets say noon with any towels available till after 3 pm ;the only saving grace for this hotel is that it is right in sosua so if you not like the food there are lots of in expensive places to go to eat and drink with in walking distance and its safe to walk any place in sosua ; yes I have complained about the food but a couple times both me and my friends bit into a hamburger or sausage and nearly chipped a tooth hitting something real hard in it ;some people complained in here of hawkers bothering them at sosua beach but here its the same with the stands just by the amphitheater trying to sell u over priced merchandize or phony cigars we were told by our tour rep that the hotel charges these merchants a fee to sell on their premises for guests that never leave the resort but that alot of things like cigars are not good quality here ; and you should stay clear of them ; if anyone wants to buy a good cigar you should go to cafe cubanna down town sosua for the real thing ;

Room Tip: most rooms are nice but u need to get advise on how to use the shower heads they are different the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just came back from Sosua. I spent a week there at the Casa Marina Reef Resort. Wonderful place. 2 beaches, beautiful terraces overhanging the ocean with 3 jaccuzzi to relax and look at the beautiful sunset just in front of you ! Very good food. 3 restaurant a la carte with people smiling and singing while they serve their guests. I'm thinking of Wilsito and Maximo, two nice men. Rooms are clean with new mattresses, very comfortable. Pools are very clean. Don't stop by the reception look (it's small and without decoration) to get an opinion on this resort. You will be really surprise when you get through it to reach your room ! The hall doesn't represent at all the beauty of the site. The important point is that the staff are willing to help you with any demand or request thay you may have. The internet was very fast and working properly. WI free at the reception. Close to downtown, the Sosua beach, 5 minutes walking. I highly recommand this resort and I think that it should be a 4 stars rating. I will go back for sure. Congratulations to the staff and the owners.

Room Tip: renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

As with any place there is good and bad. I went with a group of people, please keep this in mind. Upon arrival I was told there was only 5 rooms not 8. We got this straightned out within 20 minutes. I had emailed 4 times beginning in February for rooms to be on ground level due to physical abilities. Not once did I recieve a confirmation email. I understand that there are no quarantees with requests however a simple thanks for the email we will look into it would have been appreciated. With our group none of us were even close to the other. The following day we were able to move 3 of our rooms to ground level with a 4th moving on the 3rd day. We had different issues with rooms, no air conditioning (needed), remotes for tv's didn't work(no biggie) some of our group got a bottle of rum, some got beach towels in room. Very inconsistant. The customer service manager Jose was understanding and accomodating at the beginning of the week. By weeks end he was not. He was actually rude to a couple of people in our group. Even telling one of them if they mentioned that we got sick from the Lobster dinner "he would kick her out of his resort." By the way $26 for Lobster dinner, not a good plan. This was not the only food incident. One of our Moms found a piece of the ice cream cart (metal) in her sons ice cream, thank goodness she was paying attention. She was told "nothing happened, what's the big deal" WOW
Outside of these issues the food was good. Something for everyone, even picky eaters should not go hungry.
They have vendors in every evening, becomes annoying after 2nd night. They are selling the same thing over and over.
The grounds are kept surprisingly clean, I say this because it is a LARGE resort. There is a lot of walking.
The pools are wonderful and kept very clean, we never had an issue getting clean beach towels each day. The beach is specatular, the water was rough a couple of days but the red flag was your cue to stay out. There was always something going on if you wanted to participate. The animation team was great fun.
We spent a lot of time at the jacuzzi's. What an amazing view. We met wonderful people from all around our great world. They need to keep the bar there stocked better, especially with coconut juice. Banana mama's... yummm ! The rooms are kept clean as can be, so nice to go back each day. The water is not drinkable from the taps, there were clean jugs of water to refill your bottles at all bars and restaurants. There was even a refill station between blocks 2100 and 2200 rooms.
It is located just minutes from town. That is our minutes not Dominican minutes !!
We walked in town 4 of our 7 days. Lots to experience and see. We went to Sosua beach and dickered for treasures and went on a glass bottom boat ride with Alfredo. Well worth the $$.
We all went on the Paradise Island excursion with Marothel Tours, highly reccommend this tour. Fantastic day from 7 til 5. Spend the $ you won't be disappointed. These guys even rescheduled us so that all of our group could participate. ( the food sick puppies)
All in all a good vacation, would I go back? Yes if I was guaranteed my pick of rooms. Would I reccommend to others? probably, just keep and open mind.

2  Thank rael96
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hi first of all my name is Janet and was traveling with my husband Harold our best friends Sue and Sheldon. We landed in Sousa at approximately 1:30 on the 7 April 13 and arrived at the resort at about 2 pm as it is only about a 10 min drive from the airport. Upon our arrival we were given an envelope with our room numbers written on them 711 and 712. In this envelope was 1 room card, 2 card towel and a remote. Then we were sent on our way on our own with no direction on how to find our rooms or anyone to help us with our baggage. First time in 13 years of travel. None of us were impressed by this lake of service

Our rooms were on the main level and beside the pool. We quickly changed into our swim wear and headed down to the beach bar. The female bar tender seem quite put out when we approached the bar for a drink with our bubba mugs. Once again we were not impressed. We had our drink then thought that we would make our way to find a place to eat as we had not eaten since supper on the 6 of April. The buffet restaurant was closed so I had asked one of the workers If there was some where that we could get something to eat. He quickly took us to the beach snack bar on the reef side. Which we just made it there as they close at 4 pm. So from 4 pm to 630 pm there is absolutely no where to eat. Once again not impressed.

Day 2 into our trip Tuesday afternoon at approximately 330 pm while my husband and I were in the water enjoying the waves and I was on my way out of the water, I was about mid calf deep in water a huge 10 foot wave came up and had its way with me and slammed me down. The end result was I broke my tibia and damaged my ACL. I was transported to the hospital in Puerto Plata via ambulance. The service that I had received there was bar none. The hospital was immaculante. I was released on the Wednesday at noon and took a taxi back to the resort. At the resort my husband (Harold) and I were greeted there by our friends Sue , Sheldon and the dr at the resort with a wheel chair. As I had a cast on my right leg rom my upper thigh to my toes. The DR at the resort did say that we could use the wheel chair to get to point "A" then it would have to be returned back. When Harold went to get the wheel chair was told "no that we couldn't use it". He inquired at the front desk only once again to be told no. I had called the front desk inquired about the wheel chair as the DR had informed us that the resort did have one. At first they sent me down a crutch which I certainly could not use as my leg has to stay elevated at all times. I once again called the front desk, this time they did send down a wheel chair, which I might add did not have the leg extensions on it so we had to improvise with my carry on baggage.

Not once did the manager of The resort call or come to see if there was anything that they could do to assist us in making the rest of our stay easier for us. Once again we were not impressed.

None of us would recommend this resort nor would we go back.

Janet, Harold, Sue, Sheldon
Lakeville Corner New Brunswick , Canada

3  Thank 154957Janet_M_13
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Been here twice 2nd time got married rooms were basic but clean..staff were polite some not so helpful but overall i love this place grounds and beaches clean food / buffet repetitive but was always something eat we never went to reataurants as we went out everynight perfect place for us will be going again :)

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Elizpaul
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been to many hotels in the North of the Domenican Republic and this one was average in my opinion. However, there were some major irritants also. Here's my concise review of this hotel in bullet point format:

Pros:
- Well maintained hotel
-Clean and spacious rooms
- Decent food and dish variety
- Enough chairs on the beach (seems trivial but that's rarely the case),
- Located in downtown Sosua; lots to do,
- Lots of entertainment on the site.

Cons:
- Rude staff. Could'nt get a smile from anyone the whole week,
- Prostitution visible,
- Locals are especially annoying in this area. I could not have a conversation with my significant other while walkng in the streets of Sosua because we wer being solicitated at every street corner,
- The site is very noisy and it can keep you up at night.
- Jacuzzies are not heated,
- There is no lobby where you can gather as a group, read or have a drink,
- No 24 hour snack bar. I have rarely seen this in any other all inclusive resort. I like my midnight snack.
- Drinks are of poor quality.

I would only recommend this hotel to young people who like to party. Anyone else should consider other options.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple