Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Great beach, nice resort, Nolitours very disappointing.”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Sosua
Peterborough, Canada
“Great beach, nice resort, Nolitours very disappointing.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just returned from a week at CASA MARINA REEF RESORT, I here its closing and a new 5 star is opening for more money. If it is going to be at the same location the beach is the best I have ever swam in. For those going before it closes it’s a 3.5 star and sliding. The beach and pool chairs getting rough, not all restaurants open, food the same everyday. I was in room 2367 a corner room facing the ocean a/c worked great quiet no pool or long hallway echoing. My biggest beef Nolitours Tours were terrible I called ahead to make sure I got the ocean view room I booked, they were surprised to hear I booked Ocean View. The other couple with us and other people checking in complained they didn’t get Ocean View and couldn’t for a day to two until one become available. We booked 3 tours with them. First one Cable car and Rum factory tour, what a joke, go to the rum factory hear some history outside the building, go inside to a 3rd floor balcony over looking the plant conveyor belts then out to the store for a small sample and to buy Rum. Next to a Jewellery Store down town for over an hour, try walking out of the store swarmed by vendors. Then to a town square, an old church and another old jewellery store. No time to shop on your own, always hounded by vendors. The cable car was awesome, hounded by vendors at the top. I suggest call a cab and set up your own tour may cost a few dollars more but won’t waste most of your day. 2nd tour Monkey Jungle, Zip Line and Cabarete. All 3 were nice and you should call a cab and go on your own. Bus was 45 minutes late took us to special restaurant with special menu for Nolitours. We ordered off their special menu club sandwich, nachos and 2 beer $20.00, The couple with us 2 orders chicken wings and fries 2 beer 18.50. They received their food ate it drank their beer, we got our food 1 hour later. We had 1 and half-hours to eat shop and sight see. We spent ours in the restaurant should of gone back to the resort and drank and ate for free. After we now wait for the bus which is an hour late for we have the restaurant call our resort to find out where our bus is. The resort calls back, claims they had a flat but didn’t give us a new pick time. A call to the restaurant to say our bus will be another couple of hours, go do what you want would have been nice. The Nolitours guide at the result claims he knew new nothing about it and would get back to us heard nothing. 3RD tour was cancelled do to weather. I forgot my hat and $60.00 sunglasses at Monkey Jungle (run by Canadians), both the Bus Company and the Nolitours rep said I would get it back never did. Every time Nolitours rep called he claims he got a machine He is from Montreal spoke English but left messages in Spanish, go figure. We leave on Feb. 27,2013 (Dom. Rep Independence Day) We were never told, the road in front of the resort is closed for parade traffic backed up Bus over one hour late, we pack up check out early and sit and wait. Check out time 8:30 AST arrive 5:30 EST in Toronto. Nolitours full of disappointments, waiting and no communication. By the way our Nolitours rep was Philipee, from Montreal.

Room Tip: Pick an end,corner room on the 3rd floor bigger quieter, 2 baconies. Call the resort before you leav...
3 Thank Rick K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

the resort was ok......the food was not so good.....i did manage to find something to eat while i was there but it was picking at my food....i never went back for seconds for anything i did eat ...lol...the beach was very rough waters while we were there .....only went in once because when i did i got caught in undertow and scraped my knee up on bottom...water was very rough every day i was there.
the one key per room thing is just crazy....if there is more than one person in the room...you have to find the other person who has the one and only key just to get back into your room. we asked for a second key and they said it was not allowed...most resorts i have been to give you the option to purchase a second key if you want it.......this one key rule is absolutely obsurd.....
i did meet alot of nice people in the town and on the resort. i felt very safe to travel on the streets of sosua ...even ventured on them in the day all alone and nobody really bothered me.
this is also the first time i have ever come across a resort where you only received one little water bottle and had to fill it up all the rest of the week at a station with drinking water......that was just crazy also....the maid was tipped every day and she did a fabulous job......
we were on ground floor and that was great....as no elevators in this resort...the people who work at this resort were fabulous and very polite and always helpful.
would i recommend this resort to any of my friends ...i say no as most my friends would not be happy with the recommendation...would i go back to this resort .....no i dont think i will return ...i will return to sosua but not to this resort...hope this is helpful to all....thanks

Room Tip: ground floor recommended ....no elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank steeler068
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited Casa Marina Reef resort feb 21-28,2013. Great location, clean grounds, poor service from staff, my room was basic with broken and damage bathroom, and room. the ac blow the smell of cigarette to where it's impossible to sleep

the morning buffet was basic, with unfriendly unprofessional staff, the lunch buffet was bad, and limited. the dinner buffet was also basic, not enough seats for guest to eat at all three buffet. The bar staff seems to only serve guest who tip them, they take orders from customers behind you, like your not important. I brought $200 just for tipping but only gave out $5 in tips. compare to cuba where i give away over $150 cuc in one week on tips. i would only return to this hotel if the price was lower than $300. People say DR offers better service and food compare to Cuba, I 100% disagree.i can truly say that Casa Marina Reef Resort, was a disappointment for me, the worst vacation I have had in 28 diff resorts I've visited

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mark Anthony L

Travelers are raving about these Sosua hotels

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed March 11, 2013

its not a five star hotel, and with that said i can start my review.
My husband and I were there for a week for our anniversary by the end of february - 2 march... All i can say is I LOVED IT! Considering its not a five star hotel, to me its really good for its price.
- First of all, Food:
The buffet is ok, they always have something ull like, breakfast was delicious, my husband an i loved it, the snack bar food is ok, and dinner was good also. A la carte restaurants were very nice as well.
- Rooms:
They still have to improve them, and thats why theyre closing for. Rooms are ok, beds are very comfortable, but as I said the rooms need some improvements like the mini bar and a hair dryer. But its whatever since it wasnt so important to me. Bathroom is ok, clean, and never lack hot water. :)
- Hotel:
BEAUTIFUL!
Its a very romantic place, super recommended to couples, families and anyone else...
Super nice, big clean pools, a lot of space everywhere, a lot of places to sit down and relax. nice beach but a little bit too strong lol, a lot of bars. And the best, not extremely big but not small either ... :D
There are 3 jacuzzis next to the reef. At night you can relax next to the reef at the bar, or just laying down watching the waves, same on the beach. To sum up, We loved the place!
- Staff:
Theyre funny, FRIENDLY, nice, kind, helpful... Theyre always up to help u, make u smile, or just talk about a random topic. We had a lot of fun with them and made our stay better.
- Service at the lobby:
One day we had a problem, the smell of cigarrette from others rooms was getting into our room through the AC; and they send someone right away to put something on the AC and we never smell it again. So I can say they work.
- Enterteiment:
Nice. we liked it. And the post-show at the marlins bar next to the buffet was super cool too. we laughed so much.
- Location:
Its located in a great place of Sosua, outside the resort u have LOTS of stores, a bank, lots of restaurants, clubs, everything!... We love chips so we went to buy some in the supermarket Playero, 5 minutes walking.
If you like snorkeling, scuba diving, tours, ect ect They have plenty of things to do. So dont worry..
We tried the banana boat, we went to Teleferico in Puerto Plata, and we went to Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Club for a daypass. We were in the V.I.P beach and it was a very nice experience.

Conclusion...
I think te price was the best because this resort really exceeds my expectations.

Will I go back? DEFINITELY.
Ps. Keep in mind its not a 5 star resort and youll be good.

Keep the good job Casa Marina!!

5 Thank Mrs_Pain07
Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel was better than I was expecting. Rooms were great, they were very clean but simple. The beach was small but very nice. Food was good. The small pools in the side of reef were amazing and so much fun. Spent most of the time there. We traveled off season so some parts of the resort were closed and their were a lot of locals staying there. I liked that you could walk out the front door of resort and you were down town sousa. Walking around and seeing things were fun. Just not after dark!

Room Tip: Ground floor is perfect if you can get right by the pool cause you just go out the sliding door and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank shayneykids
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I dont recommend this resort its awful....lounge chairs are mostly all broke and old...its dirty...under staffed....doesnt have enough bars open....no bar close to pool....theres 2 resorts and u all eat at 1 buffet..fullllll....not as friendly at this resort....lobby is tiny and goes right out to the street and theres bikes constantly zoomin by so smells like diesel...shows stunk and was only a few and were just kids....nothin at all was fancy....the grounds werent even that nice...disappointed .....our ocean view was not even near it....we went to barcelo yr before and it was 10 times nicer and we paid less....beware unless u just want to go uptown and party...most just go uptown....

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank intheport
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2013

First let me start by saying this is a beautiful place. The grounds are well kept and they clean them all the time. The pools are kept clean and they are not very busy. The people that work here are just great. They are very accomedating if they can understand english which I only spoke. They cleaned every day sweepinping and mopping the floors and making beds. I would leave a few bucks for them every day. Even the food was not as bad as people talk about. You had your omlets or cereal or french toast for breakfast along with fruit. But one let down no
D-CAF coffee. They told me it was in the jar next to the big pot ,but it was Nescafe regular coffee.
not d-cafe. Lunches were fine, you could go to the buffet or the Sea food rest. for hamburgs and hot dogs and fries or the buffet for everything else. And if you wanted a beer or wine just ask they will get it for you. The resturants were fine The Italian was good The Sea Food Rest was good. We ate at the buffet the rest og the time. They had a Steak night and a seafood night and a Dominican night and a Mexican night. all pretty good. Now I am not one who will take a picture of dirt on the wall or a bug in the room so I will not complain about that. My complant is simple. I asked for a poolside room a week before we got there by confirming it to them. Our first room was looking at the dump across the street in the back. I refused the room. They got me another for the night and moved me the next day to poolside. the room was simple I mean simple. First no refrigerator,No dressers,no hair dryer,no ice,no soda,no face clothes, and the air did not work good, and 2 double beds. I am a big guy and my fiance and I were not sleeping together. You could refill your water bottles in the hallway from a tap but the water was warm. No ice to be found except at the bar in your drinks. So if you wanted cold water at 11:00PM at night forget it. Weekends were busy I would say alot of local people come for the weekends and stay there. I have read that there was alot of hookers there, but I can't say I saw any. But there are alot of good looking Dominican Ladies that some people might think were but I would say no. If you are looking for alot of intertainment at night this is not the place for you. Other than a few shows put on by the dance group of the Casa Marina which was bad, there was nothing. They could use a CASINO. The disco sucked. All and all we relaxed for the first time in awile and we had fun together, and thats all that counts. In my opinion and we have been here before. The property is great the food is fine the accomidations with the remoldeling sucks. If your funds are low you will be fine. But :Spend the extra cash and go some place where the ammenities are better than here. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2410 on the left side of the pool facing it
1 Thank OLBIGDOG
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Hotel Sosua Sunrise
#6 of 31 in Sosua
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
#8 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!