Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Great location, poor service, poor staff, average food, water down drinks”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Sosua
Toronto, Canada
“Great location, poor service, poor staff, average food, water down drinks”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited Casa Marina Reef resort feb 21-28,2013. Great location, clean grounds, poor service from staff, my room was basic with broken and damage bathroom, and room. the ac blow the smell of cigarette to where it's impossible to sleep

the morning buffet was basic, with unfriendly unprofessional staff, the lunch buffet was bad, and limited. the dinner buffet was also basic, not enough seats for guest to eat at all three buffet. The bar staff seems to only serve guest who tip them, they take orders from customers behind you, like your not important. I brought $200 just for tipping but only gave out $5 in tips. compare to cuba where i give away over $150 cuc in one week on tips. i would only return to this hotel if the price was lower than $300. People say DR offers better service and food compare to Cuba, I 100% disagree.i can truly say that Casa Marina Reef Resort, was a disappointment for me, the worst vacation I have had in 28 diff resorts I've visited

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Mark Anthony L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Reviewed March 11, 2013

its not a five star hotel, and with that said i can start my review.
My husband and I were there for a week for our anniversary by the end of february - 2 march... All i can say is I LOVED IT! Considering its not a five star hotel, to me its really good for its price.
- First of all, Food:
The buffet is ok, they always have something ull like, breakfast was delicious, my husband an i loved it, the snack bar food is ok, and dinner was good also. A la carte restaurants were very nice as well.
- Rooms:
They still have to improve them, and thats why theyre closing for. Rooms are ok, beds are very comfortable, but as I said the rooms need some improvements like the mini bar and a hair dryer. But its whatever since it wasnt so important to me. Bathroom is ok, clean, and never lack hot water. :)
- Hotel:
BEAUTIFUL!
Its a very romantic place, super recommended to couples, families and anyone else...
Super nice, big clean pools, a lot of space everywhere, a lot of places to sit down and relax. nice beach but a little bit too strong lol, a lot of bars. And the best, not extremely big but not small either ... :D
There are 3 jacuzzis next to the reef. At night you can relax next to the reef at the bar, or just laying down watching the waves, same on the beach. To sum up, We loved the place!
- Staff:
Theyre funny, FRIENDLY, nice, kind, helpful... Theyre always up to help u, make u smile, or just talk about a random topic. We had a lot of fun with them and made our stay better.
- Service at the lobby:
One day we had a problem, the smell of cigarrette from others rooms was getting into our room through the AC; and they send someone right away to put something on the AC and we never smell it again. So I can say they work.
- Enterteiment:
Nice. we liked it. And the post-show at the marlins bar next to the buffet was super cool too. we laughed so much.
- Location:
Its located in a great place of Sosua, outside the resort u have LOTS of stores, a bank, lots of restaurants, clubs, everything!... We love chips so we went to buy some in the supermarket Playero, 5 minutes walking.
If you like snorkeling, scuba diving, tours, ect ect They have plenty of things to do. So dont worry..
We tried the banana boat, we went to Teleferico in Puerto Plata, and we went to Lifestyle Holiday Vacation Club for a daypass. We were in the V.I.P beach and it was a very nice experience.

Conclusion...
I think te price was the best because this resort really exceeds my expectations.

Will I go back? DEFINITELY.
Ps. Keep in mind its not a 5 star resort and youll be good.

Keep the good job Casa Marina!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mrs_Pain07
Ontario Canada
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel was better than I was expecting. Rooms were great, they were very clean but simple. The beach was small but very nice. Food was good. The small pools in the side of reef were amazing and so much fun. Spent most of the time there. We traveled off season so some parts of the resort were closed and their were a lot of locals staying there. I liked that you could walk out the front door of resort and you were down town sousa. Walking around and seeing things were fun. Just not after dark!

Room Tip: Ground floor is perfect if you can get right by the pool cause you just go out the sliding door and...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank shayneykids
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

I dont recommend this resort its awful....lounge chairs are mostly all broke and old...its dirty...under staffed....doesnt have enough bars open....no bar close to pool....theres 2 resorts and u all eat at 1 buffet..fullllll....not as friendly at this resort....lobby is tiny and goes right out to the street and theres bikes constantly zoomin by so smells like diesel...shows stunk and was only a few and were just kids....nothin at all was fancy....the grounds werent even that nice...disappointed .....our ocean view was not even near it....we went to barcelo yr before and it was 10 times nicer and we paid less....beware unless u just want to go uptown and party...most just go uptown....

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank intheport
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2013

First let me start by saying this is a beautiful place. The grounds are well kept and they clean them all the time. The pools are kept clean and they are not very busy. The people that work here are just great. They are very accomedating if they can understand english which I only spoke. They cleaned every day sweepinping and mopping the floors and making beds. I would leave a few bucks for them every day. Even the food was not as bad as people talk about. You had your omlets or cereal or french toast for breakfast along with fruit. But one let down no
D-CAF coffee. They told me it was in the jar next to the big pot ,but it was Nescafe regular coffee.
not d-cafe. Lunches were fine, you could go to the buffet or the Sea food rest. for hamburgs and hot dogs and fries or the buffet for everything else. And if you wanted a beer or wine just ask they will get it for you. The resturants were fine The Italian was good The Sea Food Rest was good. We ate at the buffet the rest og the time. They had a Steak night and a seafood night and a Dominican night and a Mexican night. all pretty good. Now I am not one who will take a picture of dirt on the wall or a bug in the room so I will not complain about that. My complant is simple. I asked for a poolside room a week before we got there by confirming it to them. Our first room was looking at the dump across the street in the back. I refused the room. They got me another for the night and moved me the next day to poolside. the room was simple I mean simple. First no refrigerator,No dressers,no hair dryer,no ice,no soda,no face clothes, and the air did not work good, and 2 double beds. I am a big guy and my fiance and I were not sleeping together. You could refill your water bottles in the hallway from a tap but the water was warm. No ice to be found except at the bar in your drinks. So if you wanted cold water at 11:00PM at night forget it. Weekends were busy I would say alot of local people come for the weekends and stay there. I have read that there was alot of hookers there, but I can't say I saw any. But there are alot of good looking Dominican Ladies that some people might think were but I would say no. If you are looking for alot of intertainment at night this is not the place for you. Other than a few shows put on by the dance group of the Casa Marina which was bad, there was nothing. They could use a CASINO. The disco sucked. All and all we relaxed for the first time in awile and we had fun together, and thats all that counts. In my opinion and we have been here before. The property is great the food is fine the accomidations with the remoldeling sucks. If your funds are low you will be fine. But :Spend the extra cash and go some place where the ammenities are better than here. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 2410 on the left side of the pool facing it
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OLBIGDOG
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

been to casa marina 2 times & both times was not let down. The service is intimate, they remember you in the restaurants & have a table ready with your favorite drink (mine was a cold beer in a chilled glass) the staff was very friendly & the vendors not pushy. just outside the hotel & you're downtown sosua so lots to do & see. it's close to a supermarket, drugstore & the public beach where there are lots of vendors. They are fun to deal with & very helpful & friendly. We stayed at a different hotel this year & was not impressed with a 5* The casa is small but friendly. The food was great & plenty of it. Beer was cold, entertainment was fun. Will always go back to Casa marina when we go back to Dominican. As for people complaining that they let in locals on weekends, I live near a casino in Canada & if people complained I was using it on the weekends I would flip!! They are most welcome to come if they are lucky enough to afford it as the economy is poor. As for the hookers, they may be there but even they are friendly. I had quite a few laughs with them. I go there to interact with locals, see how they live & work, not hang about with americans or canadians who complain. All in all this is the place for us, small friendly safe & a great bang for your buck. Enjoy all & see ya at the casa marina beach & reef resort, hopefully this Sept/oct (2013)

Room Tip: we had an upper floor corner room with 2 balconies over looking the ocean & the pool area. Lovel...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sportsterdale
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Good location with great nightlife and restaurants close by. Resort food is average with pretty much the same stuff every day, chicken, fish, veggies at the buffet, not very creative but the pasta bar was good. I never bothered to try any of the a-la-carte restaurants. There is lots of variety with reasonable prices in the area though. My room (2166) was great, on the ground floor directly facing the beach with a nice shady patio to sit and enjoy a cold Presidente and a cigar. Nice firm king sized bed, flat screen TV with lots of channels and a fridge to keep cold water in, AC worked great although I had it off most of the time. The maid gave me 2 bottles of water every day but others said they only got water the first day and had to buy it after that. It is a bit run down but overall the grounds and beach are nice and they try to keep it as clean as possible and compared to other places I have been at in the Caribbean it is not that bad.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Pomzz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Hotel Sosua Sunrise
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
#8 of 41 in Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,186 reviews

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!