Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“Great holiday!”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Sosua
Poprad, Slovakia
“Great holiday!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I don't really understand all bad reviews, this hotel is really good value for your money. It only depends what you are looking for.
Our room was always clean and tidy, we had fresh towels and bottles of water every day. Food was good and we had a choice from three restaurants and one buffet style restaurant which had a different menu every day. Three or four bars to choose from, fantastic beer and very friendly staff.
There were two or three days when locals came to the resort to sell their souvenirs and it was little bit annoying, but I guess this is just typical thing for locals who live in a beautiful but still poor country and need to earn every penny.
We traveled as a couple trying to explore surrounded areas even by ourselves. It was exciting and fascinating to see a different life apart from the one in holiday resorts. If you're travelling to Puerto Plata, look for a local guy called Rudy (from New York haha) and he's gonna give a perfect show around of the city. For a little tip, of course, but it was worth it, we had a cracking pictures, nice memories and we weren't bothered with local people with him on our side. And it's still cheaper to go to Puerto Plata by yourself than to pay for it in a travel agency.
There's one thing we weren't satisfied with, though. For such a poor country, all outside trips were a bit too expensive for us. And of course, you could have anything you want if you tip everyone. Make sure you have enough dollars for everyone on your holiday.
But overall I can say we enjoyed ourselves very much but I'd practise my Spanish bit more next time :-)

Room Tip: I guess the type of room depends what travel agency you're travelling with. We had a garden view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tistuliatko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I traveled alone between Jan 10th to 17th. I was very happy with my room, large, clean, good water pressure and never lacked hot water. Would have been a bonus to have a fridge. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There are two beaches, one at each end of the resort, unfortunately for me this week the waves were too strong but many people were loving it ! I had visited this resort before and the beach was very calm, like everywhere, you never know. RESTAURANT- I enjoyed the food and always found something I liked, they were constantly refilling and making sure everything was clean, very friendly staff ! I had many nice staff members serving me and making sure I don't have empty plates on my table. I have to mention a extra special waitress (LUISA ) that was always smiling and made sure I had my Latin music while I was eating ( not the same with no music ) I have to thank( MANUEL) I think he is the supervisor, LUISA asked him to to put on some music for me and he actually found some on his phone and put his phone on my table so I can have music ! ha ha ha ! It made everyone smile and laugh, it was a very sweet gesture ! ANIMATION- These people always had me laughing ! Very nice team, they always tried to get people to do different activities throughout the day. I LOVED the dance lessons ! I have to give a special thanks to a few extra special people that were awesome ! Thank you LUIS (MONO) BANO, KINITO, ( sorry if I have the wrong spelling ) for dancing with me and having such a great energy ! Also thanks to ANTONIO , always so nice and polite, making sure everything is ok......and a very good singer ! DISCO - It is a small disco but the floor was almost always full and people were having a good time. If you still wanted to party longer (Disco closes at 2am )you could always find a club in walking distance from the hotel to continue. Front desk - Like many others have said, the service is not that great. PHOTO SHOP - If you want to have a photo session you can book a photographer to get some nice pics, the team here is very nice and friendly ! Thank you for always being so nice! So, over all, I really had a nice time because of the wonderful staff, we had a few cloudy and rainy days and yes, sometimes the bathrooms were dirty, but that is the dirty tourists ! lol they kept cleaning up as much as they could. They also had some very nice shows in the evenings. Hammocks to lounge in, many little quite spots to sit and read or look out at the ocean, a few pools, some quite and the largest one with activities going on throughout the day. Met many people that have been repeat guests and love it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank kiwiplatano
ottawa ont.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

went from sept 21 till 28 ,hot, it rained 1 night,the resort got fill with locals for weekend(mercedes day) tour sosua on sunday ,crazy place,lots of women if your single!!! lots of bars restaurants. hotel food was good,im not picky,but the al la cart diners are better, seafood/ mexican. 2 pools mostly empty, this is the off season so resort is only half full,but i got a great deal ,and there was lots of beer to drink,/ a good place to go is 7 falls or 27 falls, you will see if your in good shape. go to the public beach 15 min walk ,good deals on stuff dont buy at first stall,prices get cheaper the farther in you go & id go back if the price is right

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harleymike
ridgeway
Reviewed January 27, 2013

we just returned from casa marina today after a 2 week stay i love the dominican but 2 weeks here is 1 week to long let me say the lobby is just a reception desk no bar up near the front at all except for the night of the shows it closes right after the show so if you are in the lobby enjoying watching the local traffic orball game you have to go all the way down to the beach. the bars are all located down by the beach so if you are at the main pool their is nothing really close, nobody offers you drinks here it is all self serve. no i am not a princeses but when we go away i do like a little service don't get me wrong most of the staff tries but they say too many people so they are not allowed to get you drinks whether you are at the pool the buffet or the bar. The beach towels are thread bare but consider yourself lucky that you got one. The rooms were very clean and very comfortable beds good choice of english channels for at night since they only had entertainment every other night and it was mediocre at best not very entertaining. We ended up watching ball games every night and had the honour of watching a team from canada play all week which was amazing yeah canada. The food yes there was always lots but the same thing on buffet every night please third world or not they need to do something, we met at least 4 other couples that have been here multiple times and said they couldn't believe how much this resort has gone downhill in just 7 months they might want to re evaluate. Yes the locals are a problem on weekends not because they are dominican but because they never watch their kids and they ruin the pool for everyone else mon thru fri pools are fantastic. Also the french canadians could learn how to lower their voices so as to not wake up everyone i n the hotel whether it be morning or night, they were so loud sometimes my husband and i could not even hear each other. The front desk staff were horrendous my kids had an emergency at home they called the hotel asked to be put through to our room our phone did not work they kept getting disconnected they called back and asked if someone could put a message under our door, and the girls reply was i don't know what they look like how do you expect us to find them simple type our name into the computer get our room number and leave a note for us to call home i could ignore the rest but for this reason i will never return to this hotel and i will not recommend it to anhyone even people i don 't like.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank shilogreene
Ottawa
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were at this resort from Jan 14th to Jan 21st and we had a great time. Here are the pros and cons:

PROS
-the resort is located right on the beach with a great view of the ocean
-the resort is located right in the town of Sosua, very convenient to walk around outside the resort
-the coffee was excellent
-the food was pretty good, especially the breakfasts
-the 3 al la cartes were good, especially the Mexican
-there were 5 of us there, and noone was sick
-the small problem we had with our room was promptly rectified
-the room was very clean & was cleaned daily
-the staff were all very pleasant at all times
-the beer was good
-the grounds were very clean
-it was excellent value
-we weren't bothered at all by the time share people
-there was plenty of hot water at all times

CONS
-the room wasn't ready when we arrived but it was no big deal , we had a bite to eat and a few beers while we waited
-they only give you 1 room key which is inconvenient at times
-the food lacks a bit of spice but again, it was no big deal

To summarize, we paid $835 for the week and it was very good value. Compared to a 3* in Cuba, it's a 4*

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
17 Thank Mike S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have heard a lot of bad reviews but this place exceeded my expectations. Beautiful reef setting and the staff are ALWAYS joking around, making you laugh, Flirting and complimenting. Wonderful people! Front desk staff vary. The younder ones are always willing to help, while the older ones are set in their ways. But thats ok, just ask the younger workers later ;)

Beer was delicious and drink menu was good. Only sometimes did they use crushed ice for Pina Coladas. But thats ok!

The food was good, moslty Dominican inspired which consisted of Rice with at least 2 different types of meat and lentils or beans. Lots of boiled veggies to choose from and potatoes. Try their mashed bananas and yuca, delicious! They have an Omellette and Pasta Station for a change. We even made our own sandwiches with the cold cuts and grilled cheese when we were not in the mood for the buffet. Snack bar has potato wedges, burgers, hot dogs and pizza! Sea Scape a la cart was delicious. Mexican was amazing and the Italian was good. Yes the dairy was different..but that's a given, seeing as you are in another country ;)

The shows that they offer at the amphitheater are HILARIOUS. The entertainment staff are amazing. They work all day and all night and still manage to stay in a great mood. Everyone says that they love their job. We made good relationships with the staff. Some people are not open minded, and have zero sense of humor. If you laugh with them and say Gracias, you will give them the biggest smile :) we noticed that too many people ignore their efforts..

The Jacuzzi's are not warm, but they were perfect for cooling off! Wonderful watching the waves hit the reef!

The waves are strong. Once you pass the break point then you are good to bob in the waves! but always keep a look our for the surprise big ones! Overall we loved being in the ocean here, warm water and clear blue! When waves are strong, use good judgement. The Ocean is strong, don't blame the resort for your own missjudgment. 2 days we did not go in as the waves were Very high and strong.

If you want your sheets changed just pull them off the bed ..

We went on the Freestyle catamaran, While we did feel a little sea sick, the staff are constantly joking and dancing. They serve you a wonderful lunch with drinks and the snorkeling was ok. The highlight was the dolphins we encountered and raced with the catamaran for a good 15 min. The staff were equally as excited. They too said they love their job! I can't blame them!

The Outback safari is awesome. You learn so much about the Dominican way of life. They are very happy people and probably have a better quality of life than we do. You also a great Dominican meal and a massage included in this tour! They have great prices on goods/rum and their proceeds go to wondeful causes. Highly Recommended.

The highlight was Ocean World. We paid $150 for dolphin encounter and Shark encounter (which we got to also swim with the sharks) and included was a stingray enrounter!! Amazing, worth every penny!

All in all my first trip to Dominican and Sosua was amazing. Everyone was friendly and hard working. Give them praise, these people work long hours.

We love Sosua <3

Room Tip: We paid for Garden View. We received 4th floor with partial Ocean View in Building 1.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank MAUIcoco
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were 6 family members who left from the 11th january to the 18th january 2013. Here are the pros and cons:

pros:
- an excursion to the paradise island was very nice but the island is much smaller than the pictures and there is no place for you to stay in the sun cause the waves cover the island from both sides.

cons:
-staff at the front desk dont care about you and dont answer the phone
-room wasnt ready upon arrival
-bathrooms in the rooms are discusting
-no hot water in the rooms
-bathroom flodded
-no entertainement
-3 shows per week only
-jacuzzi on the reef are not hot
-hammocks were close to the jacuzzi on the reef and their pomp which had a very loud beeping sound
- food wasn't great and beef always rubbery and all dairy products are weird .. They don't have many fruits
- restaurants with reservations didn't have nicer installations than the buffet but had a slightly better tasting food
- we believe we had bed buggs
- the ventilation system brought in smoke in the rooms
- beware of the lifestyle scam. they promise to take you to a better resort but when you get there they try to sell you the memebership for 15 000 to 125 000 $ for freezing the prices for you for the next 39 years. Which is pathetic. Only go if you have time to waste on their presentation

Room Tip: we had to insist for them to give us a room with a king bed as reserved. They wanted to give us a ro...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sandave07

Travelers are raving about these Sosua hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Hotel Sosua Sunrise
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
#8 of 41 in Puerto Plata
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,186 reviews

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!