Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have attempted to interfere with traveler reviews and/or the Popularity Index for this property. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews.

“awsome time”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Kitchener, Canada
“awsome time”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We went to this resort for the first time and we had a blast. The staff and the people we met went out of their way to help with anything we needed. We went on the jeep outback tour with the mt tours and it was fabulous, our tour guide was ramone and he was so funny, if you plan on going on any of the tours make sure you book it with mt tours right on the resort they are cheaper and treat you very good, the gentlemen who assisted us was Expedito and he was awsome. So as far as our trip it was wonderful. Would go back there anytime at all. It was no 5 star hotel but it was very good. E. Carder from Canada

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1037 on the ocean side and it was amazing . We woke up to the waves of the ocean a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gmama14

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (484)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Well this was my first trip to this Resort, we had to wait 3 hours to check in once our bus arrived to the Resort. Once we finally got to our room, we noticed our phone was not working, I reported it to the front desk, I was told that someone would be up to replace it in 15 minutes, so we waited, and waited, and waited. We decided to go for dinner, we came back 2 hours later, still no phone. I reported it again the very next morning, to which I was again told that someone would be there to repair the line or replace the phone in 15 minutes. Well 6 more days passed and we never did get a phone. It made it very, very difficult to communicate with others in our party in different rooms. Other than that, the overall visit was average at best, but not terrible by any means.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Location: A+
Food was OK
Drinks are OK
Entertainment They have a few jacuzzis on the premises which are fun. The pool is also nice. A few hammocks. nice view!!!! the ocean if you want to swim.... 2 pool tables, 2 fuzz ball tables, and various nightly entertainments I did not partake in (dancing)

Rooms: D - looks very outdated. I did get ocean room, loved hearing the waves, but practically no view since there are trees. Hearing the wave and sleeping with window open and AC full blast was good enough for me....

Check in service: F -
I checked in Monday 4 pm. The front desk staff was very unhelpful and resentful. On business trip, can't imagine how people on vacation would feel checking in this place!
1- I asked to change money, they said they don't have money (a hotel with no money, though it is okay since their is 2 placed around the corner)
2- I asked about making dinner reservation at one of the restaurants (since you have to make reservation) they said I can only do so from 9:30 to 11:30 am or something like that.
Okay... how can I make reservation from 9:30 - 11:30 when I am checking in at 4 pm? Very unhelpful I tell you.
They said the buffet is open for 1st night.
Okay, I said then I would like to make reservation for dinner for TOMORROW night. They said cannot, needs to be done 9:30 - 11:30 in the morning then they send the "list" to the restaurant....
I am here on WORK, I leave hotel at 8 am... so how can I make reservation for dinner at 9:30 - 11:30 am?

Really UNHELPFUL and USELESS front desk help.
Managers should fire them, or owner should fire managers and train new staff...
worst service I have found ANYWHERE in the world when it comes to a service.

I would have given this hotel a 1 star, except that the first night I did go to the restaurant anyways, spoke with Andy who was on duty and asked nicely if he could accommodate dinner for one though I did not have any reservation. I was kind and flexible... any restaurant, and I could come back anytime needed.
Needless to say he was very helpful and accommodating.
So behind the CRAP service at the front desk, there is still hope....

Honestly if you can find a better hotel in Sosua stay away from this place.... I wanted to stay in Sosua and this is the best that I could find....

Again, great location, near nightlife and the fun..... it is just sad because this place with a bit of attention has the ability to be a much better place.....

I stayed in Puerto Plata at Riu the time before... not much better... so I just think you can't expect much of DR in terms of hotels....

Room Tip: Ocean view room costs more. Not much of a view, but great sounds of the ocean. Crank up the AC, sl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank devinezqui
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012. Front desk service were terrible. No refrigerators in room. No in room internet and internet at reception was 5 dollars per hour. Food was mediocre.

In general recommend not staying at this place or anywhere in Sosua. Sex tourism is very evident and looks like some guests are bringing in services into the resort.

Stayed November 2012
5 Thank Paul B

Travelers are raving about these Sosua hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The resort itself was pretty decent. We spent the week eating, drinking and enjoying the sun.

Amenities were great, pools were awesome and the free non-mechanized water sports were a welcome addition to our days.

We took a walk to Sosua Beach and were pretty much accosted by the local merchants. This being my first time away from North America, I found it rather uncomfortable to have such aggressive hawkers vying for my business.

The snorkelling trip to Paradise Island, though, was fantastic. Swimming around the reef was incredible and seeing all the wildlife was quite memorable.

If it was just resort stays that I was interested in, then a week here is not bad.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank J'on P
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy made for a rainy start to our week at Casa Marina but the weather improved to the sunny skies we are used to and we enjoyed four days of great weather. This is our first visit since the rooms were updated - new bedding, new furniture, and flat screen televisions - nicely done. As always, the housekeeping staff did a good job. The team of gardeners were very busy trimming the hibiscus and the palm trees - then offering fresh coconuts to all. The hotel was at only twenty percent capacity so the Mexican and Italian restaurants were sharing Luigi's space and one lobby and one buffet restaurant were closed. New tile was being installed at the buffet restaurant while it was closed so this slow time at the resort seems to be allowing more updating to be done. One pool definitely needs to be repainted as the missing paint on the pool bottom made it look dirty although the pool was cleaned and skimmed daily. One of the jacuzzi pools was not working so hopefully the reduced occupancy will allow it to be repaired.

The staff at the restaurants were attentive as always - particularly the gentleman manning the pasta station at lunch. He is perpetually smiling and his good mood is infectious. A special private dinner was put on for Sunwing travellers with special shrimp and chicken dishes as well as seemingly limitless lobster. Nicely done and well appreciated!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Himilayan
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been at this hotel since 2001 and been coming there for at least 25 times or more in between periodes of October and April. I have always been greeted with smiles and happy peoples. The staff at Casa Marina are always happy and courtesy welcome makes me feel like always come back. I love this area because it is close to the city area. I can walk anywhere without any problems. The hotel has many things to offer even in bad weather 3 pools, 3 spas lots of area inside the hotel with friendly staff smiling and ready to help you when you need something. The rooms are very confortable and very clean. The site has lots of activities like a large showtime place to see all kinds of shows example dancing and fun stuff.

Room Tip: Room for Beach side are large and more quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jean-Paul M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Hotel Sosua Sunrise
#6 of 33 in Sosua
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
Grand Paradise Playa Dorada
#8 of 41 in Puerto Plata

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!