“my experience in Casa Marina”

Casa Marina Beach & Reef
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been at this hotel since 2001 and been coming there for at least 25 times or more in between periodes of October and April. I have always been greeted with smiles and happy peoples. The staff at Casa Marina are always happy and courtesy welcome makes me feel like always come back. I love this area because it is close to the city area. I can walk anywhere without any problems. The hotel has many things to offer even in bad weather 3 pools, 3 spas lots of area inside the hotel with friendly staff smiling and ready to help you when you need something. The rooms are very confortable and very clean. The site has lots of activities like a large showtime place to see all kinds of shows example dancing and fun stuff.

Room Tip: Room for Beach side are large and more quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jean-Paul M

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The evening shows are set to return to Casa Marina. The management of the hotel have negotiated with Emily Watson of the Emily Watson School of Dance for her to put together a team of dancers to re-introduce a program of evening shows. The shows are set to recommence Dec 14th 2012

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Keith W
Reviewed October 22, 2012

It is the worst hotel I never got to in the world. Do not go there. I would not feed my dog with this food - it is infect. The guys at the front desk, especially John, would be good only to wash the toilets. The weekends are filled up with Dominicans. The rooms are dirty, the toilets leak, the air conditioner in the room works badly. In fact, after 3 days, on a stay of 7 days, we decided to change hotel event if we paid for the 7 days at this hotel (I am not sure we can qualify this of hotel!!). IT IS NOT A 3,5 STARS. IT IS AT HE MOST A 1,5 STAR.
DO NOT GO THERE YOU NWILL REGRET IT.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Jean-Denis D
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back from my 3rd visit in as many years and within hours of getting off the plane we are already trying to price up our return next year. as always the staff are so friendly and yes the odd tip here and there goes a long way.
I have to say a particular mention to the animation team who provide the entertainment and activities, they work hard to make sure people enjoy there visit.
This hotel is suffering from tour operators not advertising it and therefore it not attracting any new customers and people who are looking to return are finding it difficult, i cant see myself ever wanting to go anywhere else simply because of the people i have met both in the resort and in the town itself, people that have become real friends, i would like to see the hotel busy again and have a bit more life in it. its not 5 star and people shouldnt expect it but what they can expect is people who are trying there hardest to show you a good time and make it a holiday to remember

Room Tip: *rooms on beach side are quieter *more activities on reef side *ground floor rooms are better beca...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I arrived at the hotel close to 11am. The front desk informed me that I have to wait an hour to check in. I went up to front desk after an and I was told the room won't be ready for another hour. After 2 hours of waiting around in the hot humid lobby, the service desk was ready to check me in. I reminded them I paid for a ocean view room. Service desk person told me it was not ocean view but they can accommodate me after 7pm. When I finally got my room after waiting 8 hrs. the view of the ocean from my balcony was blocked by the palm trees. The room has old cracked tiles & bathroom is terribly outdated. The outlets in the room did not function. I went to grab dinner at the buffet that same nite & as I walked back toward my room, I was harassed by numerous vendors attempting to sell trinkets. I said "no gracias", and I was insulted with racial slurs because I was not interested in buying something. Wait it gets better, after my 2nd nite I got the feeling the pillow cases & bed sheets were not being changed. So, I marked the sheet & pillow case with a pen. The next day I checked the sheets & as I had suspected the maid Did Not change the sheets probably for the duration of my stay. I made numerous complaints to the front desk & manager. They felt no responsibility for the problems & inconvenience during my stay. I was told to call the company I booked the room thru and complain to them. Nobody including the manager made any effort to Apologize. The Manager Did Not attempt to resolve the problems before I left . The Manager even had the audacity to charge me for the lock box. It was a very Disappointing & Bad experience . I would Not recommend Casa Marina to my worst enemy. I have no idea how this place has 3 star rating.

Room Tip: All the rooms are dated. Hotel needs some renovation. AC does not work very well.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank s k
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We just came back from Casa Marina Hotel in Sosua Dominican Republic, this is my 3rd trip to the hotel this year...They go out of their way to please everybody, 3 pools, 3 Jacuzzi, 3 restaurants and good buffet restaurant. also they have a disco in the hotel. Rooms are clean all have AC, daily maid service and towels plus daily beach towels. Private beach (2). I strongly suggest to visit this nice hotel which is only 12 minutes away from Puerto Plata airport...Sosua town 5 minutes walk from the hotel lots of shopping and entertainment. We are planning to spend the New Year Eve there again...it is lots of fun and different from Toronto. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: all the rooms overlooking to ocean or pools are good. If you are not satisfy with your room they wil...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank HappyOne99
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just back from 2 week stay. Hope this info will be helpful for those wanting to go to Casa Marina.

FRONT DESK STAFF

Not helpful. Asked for a pen, don`t have. Asked if they could print off cabarete map. No.
Called because our room had not be cleaned for 2 days. Promised to send housekeeper second day. NOT A phone call to desk and they said that housekeeping was closed. grrrr. Said he could do nothing since he was the guy that only took complaints. Finally, 3rd day housekeeping came.

ROOMS AND POOLS

Like most have said they are in need of updating, although housekeeping does do a good job of cleaning. Our room was on the low level of 4 levels. Resort itself was 20 percent full, so lots of times had pool to ourselves. Nice big patio, and a couple steps to medium pool. Complex has 3, small, medium and large.No worries about getting lounge chairs, although alot in my area were in need of repair. Pools kept in pristine condition, as were the grounds. On arrival, you are each given a beach towel. Lose it and you pay $15.00 each. You can change daily at a towel shack. $15.00 per week for safe inside room. Suggest you pay for this.

Had a few things wrong with the room, but were quickly repaired. Patio door sticking, no lamp light. Oh ya, and our resident `Pets` in the bathroom, coming from the vent, biggest cockaroches I have ever seen. Had 4 during our 2 week stay, staff came and sprayed but didn`t seem to help, lol. Air conditioning was very good all of the time, no problem, which was great since it was extremely hot during our stay. Beds are awesome.......pillows suck. Hubby and I continually had stiff necks. If you can pack your own pillows, suggest you do. Shampoo, conditioner, soap provided, but no hairdryer. Ask at desk and they will give you one. No coffee maker, so we brought our own travel one, and worked out well. No dressers, but closet with enough hangers and shelves. Wasnt a problem for us. Room walls are sparse, no pictures or decorations which I felt was weird. Room could use it.

RESTAURANTS and BARS

El Batey buffet open on beach, with nice views. Ate their most of the time and found food to be good. Mexican and Italian and lunch buffet, like hot dogs, burgers, fries etc. all share the some resturant. At night the mexican and italian are just separated but in same restaurant. Didn`t think much of italian, and had mexican at El Batey which surprisingly was good. Seafood restaurant was not open nor was the other buffet restaurant due to lack of guests. We did, however, have special dinner before we left put on by Casa Marina....Sun Wing guests, and it was very good. lobster, shrimp, chicken etc. Bar on beach always open from 11am. Drinks very strong, and just ok.

ENTERTAINMENT

I know they had some stuff going on, but evening entertainment didn`t seem to exist, re lack of people.

BEACH

always RED FLAG, nice small beach on beach side and larger one on reef side with those outdoor tubs you see......nice. Waves pretty high, so not good for elderly nor children at all. Even others had hard time going in and out. Beach was cleaned nightly, good job. Lounges and umbrellas you have to rent at $2.50 for each loung and each umbrella. Thought that was kinda cheap since you are paying to stay there. Oh well.

SHOPPING, COMPUTER USE

SmaLL Shop in front desk area. Avoid if you can.......very very expensive. You are right in Sosua so should do your shopping there, much cheaper, although vendors bit agressive, lol.
4 or 5 computers in lobby. $10.00 per hour. Better to go outside, cross street and internet cafe is like $2.00 per hour.

OTHER

Filled our suitcases with goods for the poor, so packed very light re clothes. Had to have them cleaned after a week, and went to laundro mat in town where women did for $10.00. Had a full garbage bag full, so this was great deal. Young man even delivered back to hotel for us.

Ball park right across street, enjoyed watching little guys and also big guys play.

SECURITY AT CASA MARINA

Excellent............Saw 3 or 4 guys each night, always walking around.....felt safe

DRIVER AND GUIDE

Used Pablo, who sits right outside the resort, with his driver, Raphael. Both are incredible, got to know them well, and used them 3 or 4 times during our stay. Pablos phone number is 829-850-8824 or 809-427-6569. They are very reasonable and have a wealth of knowledge. Tell them Len and Linda highly recommended them both.

I am probably forgetting some stuff, but feel free to contact me with any questions you have.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank wildroots2004
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sosua
Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
#36 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Sosua by the Sea
Sosua by the Sea
#4 of 30 in Sosua

Been to Casa Marina Beach & Reef? Share your experiences!