“A chance to give back and have the best day ever”

Monkey Jungle and Zip Line Adventures
Book In Advance
More Info
$90.00*
and up
Monkey Jungle and Zipline Adventure from Puerto Plata
Ranked #1 of 15 Outdoor Activities in Sosua
More attraction details
Owner description: Monkey Jungle is located between Sosua and Cabarete, just 9 km up El Choco Road. It is the home to almost 30 squirrel and capuchin monkeys and includes a 7 station 4500 foot ACCT certified zip line. Enjoy the breathtaking view spanning over 290 acre working farm and the home of the free Monkey Jungle medical/dental clinic.Profits from the Monkey Jungle and Zip Line Adventures is used to fund the free on site clinics. Check out why we have been listed as number one on Trip Advisor since we opened in 2010. Reservations recommended and ages 2 to 89 have participated. Zip Line Adventures caters to guests with special needs.
Richmond Hill, Canada
“A chance to give back and have the best day ever”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The monkey jungle and zipline was fantastic for us and our teenagers. The equipment is new and a focus on safety. It was a highlight of everyone's vacation! So much fun to see the monkeys, interact, then get a rush on the lines. The most wonderful part of this place is seeing the hospital behind the main center. The zip line adventures pays for a hospital that helps out locals with all types of medical emergencies and basic medical care. It is so admirable that the owners Chuck and Candy have taken their retirement to bring doctors to the island to help, It felt wonderful to enjoy this great day and know your money was going to support this cause. So often we see the poverty in these Island paradises and are not sure how to help. We felt as a family going to this attraction was a win win choice for everyone. We would reccommend it to everyone!

Visited December 2012

“A MUST-GO; AMAZING AND FUN FOR EVERYONE”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Monkey Jungle and zipline was absolutely the best part of our trip. Keep in mind, we stayed in an amazing beach-front four bedroom home with a private pool, personal cleaning staff and chef. I could not have been more impressed. There is something for everyone. I went with my parents, sister, and family friends. The ziplining was fantastic. I expected a moderately-fun one-track adventure. Reality exceded even my deepest ideas. There were seven consecutive lines. They varied in length and speed. The accompanying staff was great. They spoke English very well and were clearly well experienced. The children enjoyed their company very much. By the end of the almost two-hour trek, they all had inside jokes with each other. The owners, Chuck and Candy, were absolutely lovely. They talked to my family for over an hour just in the outdoor common area. The adults sat at the bar while the children enjoyed the animals in the facility. There were kittens, puppies, and parrots to entertain themselves with. The monkey jungle was probably my favorite part. You were able to go into a large enclosure, where the 24 ADORABLE spider monkeys rested on your head. It was such a unique experience that you can't get anywhere else. There were also the rescued monkeys, all of whom we fell in love with immediately. George, the male rescue, was probably the cutest thing I have ever seen. Please please please visit this; it is 110% worth it. There were absolutely no complaints, and we haven't stopped raving about it since we got back to the states.

CT, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great place to spend the day”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Everything Monkey Jungle has to offer is terrific! The zip lining is expansive and fun and the guides are friendly. There are 7 zip lining stations on the course varying from ~500 to 750 ft in length, with various amounts of necessary braking.
The monkey jungle itself is also a lot of fun no matter how old you are. The little squirrel monkeys jump and crawl all over your arms, shoulders, and head and our guide was once again very friendly and knowledgeable.

The bar area is a great place to enjoy a cold Presidente or grab a bite to eat. The beer is cold and the food is surprisingly pretty good. All the workers are very friendly and the view at the bear is beautiful.

We did Monkey Jungles by ourselves, without a tour, and I feel this is the best way to do it since you can you take your time, go at your own pace, and not feel rushed. We simply hired a taxi for the trip, at the taxi stand outside our resort in Sosua. The taxi cost us $55 roundtrip, which isn't too bad considering the driver waited for us 2-3 hours on the spot while we did the attractions.

I would recommend Monkey Jungle to anyone staying in the Puerto Plata area. It's a bit pricey, but the fun you'll have is definitely worth it.
It's also hard to feel bad about the prices when you know all the proceeds are going into running a free medical clinic for the local people.

2 Thank Matt1341
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Unforgettable experience for the whole family!!!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Be ready to feel like a kid again! Zip lining is great, and monkeys climbing all over you - that's experience to remember!
And it's nice to know that your money go to great cause - they run free weekend dental and health clinic for the poor.
If you don't want a lengthy ride in a truck - take a taxi, I think cost for 4 people will be the same either you take a tour or take a taxi and pay on the spot.
If somebody tells you that Monkey Jungle is closed - make sure you call or email MJ to confirm as sometimes it may be clinic that is closed but attractions are open.

1 Thank Vladimir_Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great fun for the whole family!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a great time at Monkey Jungle (MJ). This is a must-have experience especially if you have small children.
We found some reviews on Monkey Jungle on Trip Advisor and my daughter was really excited to go see squirrel monkeys as she loves animals.
We were staying in Sosua, so I went to Mel Tours to book a tour, but was told that MJ is closed for couple weeks, and I was really bummed. I was wondering if I can still come and see monkeys even if I place is closed, I'm sure monkeys still need to eat every day :)
So I sent them email, and owner has replied that the place is in fact open and we can take a taxi and come anytime.
That is exactly what we did, we took a taxi for $50 round trip (was first quoted $60 but then price went down :), maybe it could come down even more but I was willing to pay $50 so I just took it). Second half of the ride was a bit bumpy - back country gravel road, but since we were traveling in a minivan with a/c on - we had no problems.
We already did zip-lining the day before, so we just wanted to see the monkeys. Our guide prepared food plates for monkeys and we went inside huge enclosure, took couple flights of stairs down and were surrounded by squirrel monkeys. They would jump on your shoulders, head and the plate, and crawl all over you. You cannot pet them as they get scared, but that's ok. Monkeys have soft and warm arms and feet, so don't worry about them scratching you, and they are absolutely adorable.
We took tons of pictures, so don't forget your camera/cell phone at the hotel!

Driver was waiting for us at the parking lot and took us back to the hotel. It was a great experience for our whole family.

Couple of tips on this tour

1. If you are in Sosua or even Puerto Plata - it may be more convenient to take a taxi and go there on your own instead of booking a tour, especially if you don't want to do zip lining or if 7am is not your ideal time for the trip :) Taking taxi is pretty safe as long as you take one from the hotel (you pay more for your safely, which is priceless, right?)

2. MJ loves walk in business and they zip people as they arrive. During high season walk ins should come between noon and 3pm to zip without a wait. The good news is that they have 13 guides and can handle the crowds.

3. They also love to have people with special needs. They zipped a paraplegic, autistic children and the blind. So your disability will not necessarily stop you from enjoying this unforgettable experience.

4. Don't go to Mel Tours to book this excursion as they are banned from booking MJ tours and would tell you that MJ is closed - which is a flat out lie, so I'm not really sure you want to deal with that company for any other tours anyway, but it's your call.