“Felt like home”

Ranked #5 of 38 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Manassas, Virginia
“Felt like home”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed for a week with a friend who had never been to Sosua before. The location is great; the rooms are tastefully decorated, including a coffee pot for breakfast. The fans were so powerful we didn't need or use air conditioning. The neighborhood was pretty quiet - except for some early morning roosters - considering how close you are to the heart of Sosua. Highly recommend it for safety security, restfulness, cleanliness, and great people and service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosanne D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I had the pleasure of being invited to attend a steak BBQ put on at the Mary Rose. Rick and Jesse really out did themselves!

There was a group of 15-20 with everyone staying there getting an invite. It was not a rowdy or crazy party, more like a group of adult friends having a great time together.

The food was awesome and it turns out the steaks were imported Angus Ribeyes, cooked to perfection with a "secret rub/marinade"! Been a long time since I've had a steak even close to this good...they put many good steakhouses to shame!

While there was a little drinking, and what else would you expect at a party or BBQ especially in a Caribbean vacation location, no one was drunk or inappropriately loud. We were having a good time and the party moved along to other locations at a reasonable hour.

Many of us spent a fair bit of time playing with the little puppy, Blue. I can't imagine how anyone could have an issue with 4 or 5 month old pup weighing all of about 30 pounds....but he was fun and gentle to play with and seemed to be liked by all.

It was a great event where I met some cool new friends. The food was fantastic and the company better. I always enjoy my stays at the Mary Rose and this was no exception.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Azulblue
Vancouver
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was attacked by a viscious dog and will not go back with out mace. The property is not bad if you don't mind noise with the drunks at night. The property has changed hands and it is not the same friendly place

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank thefactotum
DiverColin, Owner at Mary Rose Condo Apartments, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate all reviews received. I am very sorry our 3 month old puppy, "Blue" is considered by you to be a vicious dog. Our new puppy "Blue" is in training as a guard dog. Unfortunately, he has not quite grown large enough to be retained by our gates. That will be rectified in the next couple of months as he grows larger. Also, because he is a puppy, he is very playful but again, that puppy phase will be outgrown.

Yes, Mary Rose has an incredible outside bar area that the guests of Mary Rose use at their leisure. It is unfortunate that you found this community gathering spot to be a problem during your stay. Many friendships have been formed while our guests spend time at the bar. Unfortunately, some who come here on vacation will over imbibe as it is their vacation. It is all part of the Caribbean vacation experience. Our bar is open very limited hours, (4 PM to 8 PM) and sometimes a little longer if our guests are interested in using the facility. People on vacation are here to have a good time and sometimes, that includes alcohol. I am at a loss to explain why you felt "The Drunks" at the bar impeded your vacation experience and for that I apologize but that is something I just can't control. Also, there are many nights when the bar has few customers stopping only for a beer or a Cuba Libra before heading downtown.

In any regard, I doubt that mace is required to control our little puppy "Blue" and by the time you return to the Dominican Republic, "Blue" will be much larger and will have outgrown the "Puppy Phase"

Take care and thank you once again for your review.

Rick
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Again I have stayed at the Mary Rose. 2nd maybe 3rd time, they are all starting to blur into one great trip! This could very well be my last review regarding the Mary Rose because I am truly running out of descriptive words to say how truly amazing this place really is. My trip was a little more stressful this time around but had nothing to do with the Mary Rose and the staff ,that being said they made me feel more at home and part of the family this time around then I could have ever imagined.
Regarding Rick and Milka who own the Mary Rose I can't begin to thank them for the hospitality and warmth that they bring to everyone who stays with them, it is truly indescribable. From the minute you check in you know without a doubt "you're home" ( Rick...notice no mention of airport pickup lol). When you get off the plane and are brought to the Mary Rose you are garenteed a warm smile and a greeting like no AI resort you have ever been to. The best part by far is the time you spend in the evening after a great day at the beach when you see Ricks white van parked out front around 5,at that time you know the fun is about to begin. I found myself on a daily bases looking out of the "high rollers" condo anticipating his return from Rockys ( another second to none place Rick runs). When you see he is back you know either great food, conversation, or just a great time you never expected was about to begin. One of the most unique things that Rick and Milka do is bring the other guest into the mix for you to meet and mingle with and this is where they excel and surpass any other resort I have ever been to. They try to blend all their guest into part of the Mary Rose family. And it is truly the best part of your vacation, I have now strong freinds from other parts of the world that I would have never met if not for Rick and Milka. And for that I can never thank them enough. And those of you who were there when I was you know who you are, from Mississippi to Virgina, to Spain and all points in between. We owe Rick and Milka a thanks for bringing us all together. All of you including the Mary Rose are what makes staying there like nothing else you'll ever find in you're travels. One traveler to be specific was everything the Mary Rose try's to be, (he knows who he is, ) but the only warning I would give others is " don't drink the nectar of the gods" other than that he along with everyone else at the Mary Rose are people you will never forget and hope to meet up with again. " Jess was the sofa comfortable??"" Yea ya know it was.. And my toupe is now glued on with crazy glue"
In closing I should probably talk about the rooms and staff, food drinks service blaa,blaa blaa. If you have read any of my other reviews regarding the Mary Rose or anything Rick and Milka have a hand in you'll know that of course the staff the rooms the food the friendship is second to none. Rick and Milka could open a tent on the beach and I would recommend staying with them because that's how good they really are, customer service, customer loyalty and most of all customer happiness is paramount to them and that my friends is what makes the Mary Rose or anything Rick and Milka touch the place you MUST be if you're going to the DR.
Welcome to your new home in the DR surrounded by family and freinds. I'm counting the days until I can go home again

1 Thank Kevin E
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I thought that I had a place to stay all arranged, but upon arriving to the DR, I discovered that there had been massive miscommunications and I had NO place to go! I am single, middle aged, white, American female and was somewhat stranded in a 3rd world country that speaks a different language than I do! A friend took me over to the Mary Rose to see if they could help.Not ONLY did they help ! but took me right in; made sure I was comfortable, made sure that I felt safe, and saw to it that everything I needed was provided. I stayed for 2 weeks and the staff at Mary Rose checked with me every day to make sure I had what I needed .
I highly recommend!!!

1 Thank cjayrn
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had the chance to stay at the Mary Rose for two wonderful weeks this August for my first visit to the Dominican Republic. I can't stress enough what a wonderful time I had thanks to the staff and facilities at the Mary Rose. As previous reviewers have mentioned, Rick lives here so the level of help and individual customer support is unparalleled. When you stay at the Mary Rose, Rick goes the extra mile to help make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
Customer service at the Mary Rose is above and beyond, more like having a great friend looking out for you in my opinion. The facilities are top notch, quiet and away from the noise of the strip. However, it is only about a 10 minute walk (I walk fast!) or a 30 second motoconcho ride away so plenty close enough I think. In addition there is a nice little store staffed by wonderful people that has anything you may need during your stay. The shuttle always runs on time and I even grabbed a ride once because Rick happened to be going to Rockys. Its nice to have a shout from someone passing you by in Sosua looking to lend a hand, a welcome respite from the "change, change" etc :) The staff is wonderful and can always help out if you need something to cook with etc. Also, as of right now Jessie is living there so that is another amazing helpful fellow who can lend a hand with anything (tech, ride you name it!) that you need. The pool/outside lounging area is always immaculate and the bar is staffed by friendly people.
The grilling parties that Rick and the Mary Rose staff put together on a regular basis are relaxing and lots of fun. Lots of hot water and cold presidentes makes for a wonderful spot to stay. It was my first trip to Sosua, so the Mary Rose was an ideal spot. However, I would recommend it for all travellers (including those with more experience). The level of service at this price is really unique and a great bargain in my opinion.
So in conclusion, I will be going back to stay at the Mary Rose. I give it my highest rating and really feel lucky to have found such a welcoming place to visit. Rick, Jessie, Milka and the staff all really have built a special place at the Mary Rose. From my pick up at the airport to the end of my trip everyone at the Mary Rose went out of their way to make my trip memorable. Thanks guys!

2 Thank minkyboodle
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place begins and ends with the owner Rick. This place is gorgeous, accesible and, best of all, QUIET. Off the beaten path, but feels like home. The staff is very nice and you will fell safe all the while; by the way, a safe in every room. The price is right, close to the essentials, away from the hoopla.....its a good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends