“excellent diving in sosua”
Review of Superior Dive - CLOSED

Superior Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Superior Dive Sosua is a PADI Five Star Dive Resort operator. Being the only Dive Shop on Sosua Bay offers benefits that others cannot provide. No need to put on gear in town and walk in clammy wet suits to board a boat. Surface intervals are at the shop giving you a chance to get a cold drink, use a real restroom, or just relax. You can also adjust or change gear if you like. Most days boat loading is from the deck right out the door of the shop. The shop is owned by Americans so it's English friendly. Spanish is also spoken.
Lucerne, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent diving in sosua”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've been diving with superiordive in Sosua for 25 dives. the shop is located directly at the beach, what really brings you in the mood for diving! superiordive offers reasonably priced packages, including rental of the equipment. people are very helpful and nice, they absolutely know what they're doing! I felt save all the time during the dives. It's really worth trying it out!

Visited January 2012
1 Thank cornelia l

Vancouver, Canada
“Dive, See and Learn”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Dive the 3 Rocks area and see what the divers are doing to save the reefs. Learn how you can help. The equipment at Superior Dive (Sousa Bay on the beach), was new and better than most rentals available, with day rentals at a ridiculous low rate. Great group of staff and enjoyed the dives in that area. It was a learning experience. Their website is a good option for setting up your dive in advance to arrival. Diving via Superior Dive was a pro go special, hassle free one stop shopping effort. Cheers, Bill (Canadian)

Visited January 2012
Rapid City, South Dakota
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Awesome Dive Shop”
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Chuck and Wendy run a top-notch scuba operation! My wife and I dove all week (12 dives) and enjoyed it so much we decided to do our PADI advanced certification at the end of the week; Wendy is a great instructor---we'd like to bring our kids back in a few years when they're old enough for their OW certs. They make a great team and are very friendly, helpful and easy-going--- and their shop location is perfect--right below the Sosua Bay Resort. They set up all of our gear for each dive and all of the dive sites are very close (farthest was about a 15 min boat ride). We went back to the shop in-between dives, and briefed each dive on a white board.
The coral, fish population, and visibility ranged from 'good' to 'very good' (versus 'excellent'), but we enjoyed and learned on every dive---I think with a different shop we wouldn't have been as satisfied just due to the quality of the spots (overfishing has taken its toll, and they're working to re-energize the reef and fish population).
At the end of the week, we were able to help spear Lionfish on a dive and eat them for lunch--very tasty. Chuck and Wendy and their Dominican helper Nelson also helped point us to other attractions like zip-lining, waterfall hikes, and local bus rides to Cabarete.
Again, we really think highly of Superior Dive---if you stay in the Sosua area or just dive the Dominican north coast we highly recommend them!
PS--their dive prices are very good.

Visited August 2011
Lajas, Puerto Rico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very helpful and friendly”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I was traveling with a group of four marine scientists, including me. We needed to carry out reef surveys in the Sosua and Punta Rusia region. Wendy, Chuck and staff at Superior Dive were very friendly and helpful. The worked around our schedule and assisted with any equipment that was needed. They even planned a two-tank diving trip at Punta Rusia, which was awesome! We really appreciated their help!!!!! Thanks Superior Dive for making our trip and surveys successful!!!!

Visited June 2011
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best Dive Experience Ever”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Straight up, this dive shop is incredible. I found them on their Facebook page and they seemed very engaged and enthusiastic. I just finished an Advanced Open Water certification and Wendy was my instructor. It´s a family run operation and they became my friends. We went to dinner together, and they helped me feel right at home. Wendy is a top notch instructor, very knowledgeable and patient. Full of praise but tells you when you need to do something better.

The shop is beautiful as well. Right on the ocean, literally. You can spend time after your dive hanging your feet off the edge and taking in all of Sosua Bay. The other shops in Sosua are in town so it´s a bit of a hike to get to the beach, but I never dove there so I can´t say anything good or bad about them. Superior stacks and carries your gear and load the boats so you just get in and enjoy the diving. I bought a fancy, new mask at a dive shop in New York only to discover they use the exact one! And their BCD´s are new and weight integrated so no clunky stones on your belt. Just top notch equipment all around.

As for the diving, you have to visit the Zingara wreck. It was my first one but it is a stunner. Beautiful condition, large passthroughs, all kinds of fish huddled around. It´s down at about 110 feet so you need to be qualified but well worth it. We dove there, Three Rocks, West Wall, Elephante and Mini Wall.

These people are total pros, I´ve dived in one other place with better conditions but this was far and away my best EXPERIENCE with a dive shop. If you´re staying in the POP-Sosua-Cabarete area, dive here... you´ll thank me. Photos coming later. Wendy, Carl, Chuck, Nelson, Michael, Tika... thanks for a wonderful week.

Visited June 2011