“Nice little bit of Canada”

Britannia Pub & Grill
Ranked #25 of 111 Restaurants in Sosua
Cuisines: American, British, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband emailed the owner, Ray and his wife, to see if they would be showing the world junior hockey game and sure enough, they said they would. So we ventured into town with our 3 kids for a great little lunch and some familiar entertainment (hockey). We enjoyed the local ambiance, the friendly owners and staff and the good food. If you need a change of scenery from your hotel, this is a worth while visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I've already posted a review of this restaurant, but just want to say again how much I love the food and great conversation that we've experienced at the Britania. Looking forward to eating there again in February. It'll be one of our first stops after checking in at the condo, for sure.
But, I have to refer to HughC's review and comments about the drink prices. Are you sure you didn't order a special type of alcohol.....i.e. more expensive brand than usual? Of all of the places in Sosua, to insinuate that you were overcharged at the Brit is ridiculous. I'm sure that their clientele, both locals and visitors are scratching their heads when they read your review.

I've read all three of your reviews here on Trip Advisor, regarding Sosua, and it's so obvious that you are a really kind-hearted, worldly person.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I went to Britannia just a couple of weeks ago as I always do when in town. I met a freind there for lunch. She had the Thursday special Dominican lunch and it looked good so had to try it. OMG!! One of the Best meals I've ever had in the D.R. Even though I'm a Bruins fan I have to give it to Ray and Sue...Not bad for Canadien Fans! See you guys soon!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Good value breakfast, not really British as is run by Canadians, main problem is that you can be overcharged for drinks for reasons that are hard to fathom, we recently had to pay RD$130 for a Cuba Libre when the going price in town is about 80 or 90, seems to be a case of if your face fits the prices are lower (others on our table paid much less!!). We have tried to like this place but frankly the Jolly Roger a few doors down does a better job and charges fair prices to everyone....

britanniapub, Owner at Britannia Pub & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Hugh, thanks for your review. We take all reviews seriously, but also need to address those that want to discredit us while trying to boost our competition. Yes, we are Canadian, as have all the others been in the past 15 years. Nothing to hide.

Our cuba libres are always 80 pesos during happy hour 4-6pm each day. They are 90 pesos any other time unless you ask for a special rum. If you were charged 130 pesos, it's because you ordered something special. I reviewed all invoices for the past 2 weeks and there were no cuba libres charged at 130 pesos, so I am not clear to what you are referring. If you wish to drop in we can discuss further.

Whenever we have a customer who wants to review our pub, we always discourage mentioning any of our competition for several reasons. It discredits the review as the review is no longer bias. I look at it as a cheap shot and it reflects badly on the review and the poster.

We at the Britannia Pub and Grill offer fair prices and good value. Again, if you wish to drop in we can discuss further.

Thank you.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Food is great, dedicated staff and owner are friendly, laid back atmosphere. Britannia is a must visit, specially morning and evenings. Their American breakfast is a great way to start the day, kudos to Ray Quenville for keeping up the good service.

1  Thank GoldenTreasures