“Discovery scuba course for anyone!”

Northern Coast Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover scuba diving in the warm, clear waters of the Dominican Republic. Diving excursions and customized private charters are available 7 days a week. Our multilingual PADI instructors teach courses from beginner to instructor. There are a multitude of beautiful dive sites and calm, clear conditions almost every day! Want to snorkel? We offer snorkeling excursions every afternoon. An aquatic adventure for the whole family! Private charters for that very special occasion can be arranged, groups can be accommodated. Upscale private trips to Paradise Island are offered to groups of at least 4.
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I took the course with Andrew, and his wife Christine took beautiful pictures of our under the sea adventure! We had a great time, the staff was wonderful, we even ate lunch there at the shop before we dived. Michael the owner is so helpful and pleasant, very nice guy to deal with. Really a great place. Thank you Juan Carlos from The Balaji Palace for referring us to it!

Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I came to Sosua few days ago and I was so happy to see the big PADI flag waving on the main street. I thought I won't make it to underwater this season. I did and I'm happy it was with the North Coast Diving. There was a group of five people in total scheduled for the dive this afternoon. All the staff - Mike, the owner, Mikaela and Luke the divemasters were more than friendly and helpful. As I was the least experienced in the group I felt like specially watched (in a good way). Mikaela was keeping me company throughout the whole two dives, showing me PoI under the water, handling interesting things and small ocean creatures. My fiancée was snorkelling at the same time and she told me that Luke was very supportive so she felt safe even though water is not her favourite entourage. I can only double and triple recommend the place if you want to dive in the area. Thank you NCD.

2  Thank Glybin
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I've just completed a week's diving with Northern Coast Diving in conjunction with a week in the Dominican Republic. As i've seen in the past (this is my second review but my seventh visit to Northern) the staff is both friendly and accomodating but never at the expense of safety. I did 14 dives in 6 days with all days having 2 dives and additional night dives on 2 days. The shop is well run with Michael, the owner, keeping a close watch on every facet of the operation. New this year is the ability to purchase either breakfast or lunch (or both!) from the shop, these meals being prepared by a very fine cook on site. The lunch menu changes every day. You'll find youself eating with the staff if you decide to try the lunch.

The dive sites on the north coast are easily accessible by boat with the longest trip being only 15-20 minutes from the beach.Many of the sites allow you to do deeper dives, the deepest being the wreck "Zingara" with a maximum of 120 feet (approx 36 meters).

Northern is a PADI Instructor Development Center which speaks highly of the staff's committment to continuing education. Not everyone aspires to become an instructor but Northern has the resources to help this become a reality.

In summary, if you're interested in diving on the north coast of the Dominican Republic, this is the shop to use.

3  Thank EBDiver
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I used Northern Coast for my Open Water and Advanced Open Water Certifications and I couldn't have expected a better experience. The dive instructors were always calm and had lots of advice on diving, Sosua, the Dominican Republic, everything. They were just a good bunch of people. The shop is ran on the inside by the most professional bunch of people. I was accommodated at every turn, even though it was the slow season. I wanted to do a bunch of dives that usually required a minimum amount of people and they made it happen. I wanted a night dive, a wreck dive, and a dive in the caverns...with little to no notice all dives were organized and executed flawlessly. There is a reason Northern Coast Diving is rated as high as it is...use them you will not regret it.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Summary: I took my 15 year old daughter to SCUBA dive in Sosua, and she received her PADI Open Water and Advanced Open Water certifications. I became dive certified through Northern Coast Dive Center in 2007, so this is my second visit to Sosua, and this Dive Center. My first visit was better, in 2007, with a bit more cohesion withing the ranks of the guides and owners. The overall experience was adequate. I felt that the tanks, air, regulators, and vital equipment were safe. I recommend this shop for beginning divers who want to get PADI certified.

Business: The Northern Coast Dive Center center is American owned, and well organized and well administered, if a bit expensive. There are other alternatives in town as well, so check them as well (one is Merlin Dive Center run by a Dutch team). There are a couple of long time veteran instructors who are great. Expect new instructors due to high turnover in this profession. They provide a full service dive experience, including equipment, instruction, guided dives, tank and equipment rental, boats and excursions. Their local guides/dive-masters and captains are very good.

Equipment: The equipment is adequate, some of which is old and should be replaced. Check your mouth-pieces BEFORE entering the water. The wet suits are old and frayed, but are adequate. Bring your own equipment if you have it. Buy or bring a mask and snorkel at the very least.

Diving and Reefs: The diving is good, with warm water and good clarity. Some of the shallower reefs are damaged because of over biding, but are still pretty, and a great first time diver experience.

Locals: The locals are relaxed, and friendly. Welcome them with a smile, and you will receive the same in return.

Food: The food is fresh and really good. Eat at the smaller places, and where the locals eat if you can. Expect price gouging here as well. If you shop and the grocery store, you will eat well, and inexpensively.

Sosua and area: Sosua is a pleasant town, and somewhat touristy. Locals price gouge so beware of that. There are some beggars, and scammers, so beware of that too-don't accept "free" gifts. The town is known as a sex vacation destination, but this is limited to the nightlife, so if you are off the streets by nightfall, you won't see much of this. We stayed in a Condo in Cabarete, and rode the "Gua gua" buses to and from Sosua each day.

3  Thank comicrebel