“what a great time” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Phoenix, Arizona
“what a great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2010

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We were there for 9 nights and purchased the all inclusive package. What a terrific bargain. The staff is absolutely marvelous with the guests and they seem to have met our every whim. Sure, the creature comforts were missing, however, remember, this is only a 3 star hotel. As others have said before me, yes some things needed updating, but overall it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank yleekyot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

I was going to attend a course in Dominican Republic, and as part of the course fees the organisers booked us into the Sosua By the Sea Boutique Hotel. I travelled out on Thomson Airlines from London Gatwick on Thursday 18th February and back again on Thursday 25th. I elected to upgrade to Premium for an extra 180 pounds round trip.

I am glad that I did, as the seats were leather armchairs, and all the food and drink was free. The people in the back had to pay for everything including the Water.

Arriving in Puerto Plata, the hotel is just 20 minutes away. After checking in I was shown to my room. A huge double bed and windows overlooking the pool and the Sea.

Room was very clean with a dressing, wash room leading to a private bath/shower and WC. I found that if I had a shower after 8.00am then the water was only tepid. So I made sure that I showered early every morning

We had our seminar/course sitting in the Beachfront Restaurant, and the views over the Bay were magnificent.

In the evenings we were free to do as we wished, and most of us spent time at the Beach Bar drinking Cuba Libra or Pina Collada Cocktails or the excellent 'El Presidente' Beer

We found the food at the hotel to be wonderful. It was all inclusive in our room rates, ands there was always a good selection of Western/Dominican Foods. One night there was a BBQ and the Hamburgers and Steaks were very good. On another night they had a Mexican Buffet, with Tacos, enchilladas and Beans as well as many other dishes.

Enjoyed the break as well as the business trip. Wish I could have stayed longer and will definitely go back again soon.

Probably not a good hotel for young couples with Children, as not to many activities for them

The Staff were attentive and couldn't do enough for the guests. Very Impressive

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank angelesguyLondon
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

Going for a short break from the West-European winter, I booked the Sosua By The Sea Hotel in the first week of February 2010 as part of a package deal with the Dutch company Arke and a flight operated by Arkefly. The hotel is simple, but adequate for a short stay. The staff were not always friendly, but did try to answer all my questions correctly. So maybe it was there limited knowledge of the English language that obstructed some of them to talk to the guests. During the entire week the manager didn't introduce himself. I always like hotels that do offer that personal touch. And the occupancy rate was less than 25%, so it would not have been to much effort for the manager to greet his guests upon their arrival. I stayed in a room with two double beds and that is more than enough when travelling alone. Every day the cleaning staff visited the room with mixed results. One day the floor would be spotless and on another day my socks were covered with dust and hairs after walking over the floor of my room after a visit from the cleaning staff. As in many hotels these days, you have to ask for a change of sheets and towels as a part of the conservation issue. But seven nights with the same sheets and towels is a bit to much. Sosua By The Sea has a nice pool and is close to a small beach. A larger beach is within walking distance. The pool could have been cleaned more often and contained a lot of leaves and dead insects. The choice of food and drinks at breakfast was adequate. I didn't book the all-inclusive and made the right choice there. I had lunch at the hotel only once and it was a buffet style meal with a very limited offer. And for a price that would get you two meals in one of the many restaurants in the village. After a couple of days buffet style meals with limited choice could be very boring, so avoid the all-inclusive. There are many restaurants with good food within 1 kilometer. And they are all very cheap. Try Casa Valeria close to the hotel. For a couple of drinks I especially recommend Eddy's Sports Bar two streets from the hotel. A Cuba Libre for 50 Pesos and a local beer Brahma or Presidente (both very good) for 70 Pesos. In the hotel you pay 100 Pesos for every cocktail if you haven't booked all-inclusive. Overall the Sosua By The Sea Hotel is a good choice when you don't want to spend to much and don't expect luxury. It is a simple base for exploring Sosua and the surrounding area. The offer of daytrips in Sosúa is great. As a man travelling alone you can expect many offers from the local women for a lot of services, but they accept without fuss when you tell them that you are not interested. Try to avoid flying with an airline company that has a stopover in Punta Cana. The airport there is a real tourist trap where they try to charge you $5 or more for a beer. And there is no airconditioning (just big fans) and the security staff are deliberatly working very slow so you need a beer after dealing with them. The security staff checks the cabin luggage that has to be taken from the plane during the transfer on the way in and not on the way out. Strange, because before boarding the plane their colleagues in Puerto Plata did exactly the same and what can a passenger do with their cabin luggage on a plane during a thirty minute flight? So, the slow time consuming proces of the check can only be to make the passengers thirsty and willing to pay for the overpriced drinks during the wait. Arkefly does have a stopover on the return flight from Puerto Plata to Amsterdam, and it is terrible way to end your holiday.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Will de d
Puerto Plata
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2010

I am a business traveler and booked this trip for business after seeing it online. I read these reviews and figured that it was a good place to meet with my business associates and also relax. On the check in day, when I arrived to my room, there was a lake on the floor of hallway outside my room. "Don't worry" I was told by the bellman. He will place blankets on the floor. The room was average with a concrete bed, but a nice view of the pool and ocean. The safe was much too small and my laptop had to be hidden under the bed. For what you pay for, you would come to expect such standard items as internet, however this was not included in the $110.00 daily rate for the room. I found this quite draconian! The hotel is an older one which had seen some fine years. Although it is outwardly pretty, the place is simply old and worn out. The trouble started on the 2nd day. A business associate, that lives in the Dominican Republic arrived (with me). As we walked past the reception desk, we were stopped by a rude guard who treated us as if we two thieves and not businessmen who were obviously dressed in slacks, collared shirts and dress shoes as well as laptops. I needed to tend to an important business meeting on conference phone in another country as a pre-set time and we were being encountered by 2 macho security guards. Fortunately, my associate and I both spoke Spanish, however this did not matter to these two "macho thugs" What upset them? I am not sure, however I could hear a little of what they were saying to each other. They did not like the fact that we did not greet them when we walked in. We must greet them? This incident delayed us and we missed the link to our meeting. Needless to write that money was without a doubt lost due to this. My associate was very upset, however he just wanted to leave without more incident. While we were in the lobby, there was another guest that was being questioned by these same two thugs. Who the heck wants to go through this experience? It was horrible and I will not return!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Rubio4u
Simsbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

It's a nice enough HOTEL, in my opinion it's not a Boutique RESORT as claimed. It is extremely quiet, if that's what you are looking for, this is the perfect place. Compared to other hotels in the area the price is very expensive for what you get. Our room was small though it had a great view, clean though some things were in minor disrepair (loose knob on bathroom door, fixtures on tub/shower). I booked this hotel off another site that claimed it was 4 star, it struggles to barely make 3 star.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Westchester County, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

I took my mother here for her 60th birthday present, based on the consistently good reviews I'd read here. I'm assuming all the negative reviews get reported as "inappropriate," because mine is gone (nothing inappropriate about it), and there's no way the majority of guests are happy with this place. Yes, it's reasonably priced, and yes, it's a boutique hotel, so you can't expect the amenities or facilities you would get at a big resort. However, the place is not clean, the service is poor, and the food is horrible. Horrible. I got sick as a dog on the first night, and it lasted for the next two days. If you go with really low expectations because of the OK price and really don't like food or don't plan on eating there, you might be content. Otherwise, don't bother. Think about it: it was so bad that I took the time to write another review. I owe my mom another gift.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank NicInWestchester
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2009

This hotel is not for people looking for the constant activities provided by large resort style hotels. I notice that many of the people reviewing are young adults complaining of boredom who were hoping to participate in drunken pool games in the afternoon and a conga line in the evening. This hotel is not for this type of traveller.

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation in a quiet, clean hotel with great food and service then this is the hotel for you.

When we arrived we asked to change rooms because we did not have an ocean view. We were accomodated immediately and moved to a room with a great view of the ocean and the pool. During the week the staff were kind, helpful and very friendly. We met and became quite friendly with several other guests thanks to the intimacy of the hotel. Food was fabulous and the town of Sosua was excellent.

We felt very safe and had an excellent time in several of the local bars. I recommend you visit the Jolly Roger. A local bar owned by a Canadian couple where a great time is always had by all.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple