“A Well Kept Hidden Little Gem for the Budget Traveler”

Hotel Sosua Sunrise
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Sosua
Los Angeles
“A Well Kept Hidden Little Gem for the Budget Traveler”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I just returned a couple weeks back from a four night stay at the Casa Cayena in Sosua over the American Thanksgiving vacation break. This was my second visit to the vibrant country of the Dominican Republic on the island of Hispanola.

I spent a few days & nights reading over hotel reviews, & asking questions to other members regarding hotels in the Sosua & Cabarete area's before making my choice of lodging. As always I received some excellent, informative, & knowledgeable advice from some very kind & willing people . . . which only made my decision as to where to stay the more difficult (lol). I enjoyed my lodging very much during my first stay & would have readily returned, but I wanted to try a different place for my second visit to the area. Whenever I've found a vacation spot to visit more than once or twice, I like to explore different paths before I return to a gem that I might have found along the way . . if I'm so lucky.

When visiting any island vacation destination, I look for ocean front if possible or as close as possible, water sports, beach life, lodging with pool & restaurant, smaller resorts under 100 rooms/bungalows, nightlife, & good local food. . . And if I can stay under a $100. U.S., great . . . The Casa Cayena & Sosua meet almost all of my likes. A great price that included breakfast, the only "like" that was missing was the ocean front accomodations, but the ocean was less than a 100 steps away from the front door.

A small, hidden little gem of a budget hotel steps away from the ocean, and down the block from the main street & all the nightlife . . . yet this gem is quite enough not to hear a sound from all the action at night. The cost of my accomodation included breakfast, which meant that you could have anything that was on their restaurant's breakfast menu from 7:30 to 11:30 am. I only ate at the hotel's restaurant 3 times, but I enjoyed every meal. Their little restaurant cooks up a pretty nice range of foods, local Dominican dishes, as well as American style breakfast options, sandwiches, an assortment of pastas, salads, & fruit dishes. The restaurant was open-air on one side which offered you a view of the pool area. The pool is rather small, but one can still enjoy sitting either around the pool or on your patio in a lodge chair enjoying drinks from the bar & music. I stayed on the second floor, room #207 (I think?), and poolside in room #105. I enjoyed both rooms, but I would certainly stay in room #105 poolside. The rooms were cleaned daily, with new towels daily if needed. Rooms have a small television with cable channels,and a mini-frig. In both of the rooms that I stayed the beds were very comfortable & I had no problem sleeping. The sink & shower had plenty of water power & hot water. For a 2** or 3*** budget hotel, Casa Cayena is certainly a hotel that I'll return to if I ever return to the area. I even had two of my friends that I met on this trip stop by & ask about their accommodations, & they are now planning to stay at the Casa Cayena on their next visit.

The ladies at the front desk were very pleasant, & helpful if you are willing to be the same. A smile always brought a smile from them. Miguelina & her staff were friendly, & willing to learn some English & as well teach me some Spanish . . . I like the fact that the front desk & late night security were aware of who was staying there & who wasn't. I had a friend visit a couple of times (another tourist), & he was stopped & asked who he was there to see. If I returned with a late night guest, security made sure to check her i.d. as she entered & as she left. The only negative was the lack of safety boxes in your rooms. They keep them safety boxes in an office next to the front desk, *& you only have access to them from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm, that is definitely not cool.

Lastly, as mentioned earlier in my post, the hotel is less than a 100 steps from a gorgeous little beach, Playa Alicia. Yeah buddy, come on out the front steps of the Casa Cayena, & turn left, take those few steps & . . . . You'll come to a small parking area, a cliff overlooking the beach, & the Waterfront Restaurant, & below you awaits Playa Alicia, another hidden little gem. While everyone flocks to the main beach, Playa Sosua, with all the food eateries, hawkers, musicians, & people . . . Playa Alicia is laid back, mellow, a little peace of paradise amongest the madness that can be Sosua. You can rent beach chairs & umbrellas, 200 pesos each, you can buy beer & snacks, or better yet, just bring your own, & just chilllll. . . . . without the hassle of being hawked to death, its a nice respite from the party atmosphere of Playa Sosua, certainly a beach that you might want to visit for a day while in Sosua. . . .

Over-all a nice, peaceful, well kept little hotel on a quite street, just steps from Playa Alicia . . For a 2 - 3 Star hotel, the price, food, staff, & location, Casa Cayena is indeed a a well kept hidden little gem for the budget traveler!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank streetscaper69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2010

When I go to Sosua it is only one place I stay Casa Cayena. It is not a 5 star hotel, but they have all the basics that you need. If you are looking to go on a romantic vacation with your wife then this is not the place. If you are going with your "Homies" on a guy's week out! Then this is the place to go. The staff is not only friendly but super nice. My room was cleaned very well. I would prefer the safe to be placed back in the rooms, but they allow me the use it for free behind front desk. It is right next to the beach so the walk is short. Me and my friends will continue to stay at this hotel. We know all the staff by there first name, and the know us as well. Their restaurant will make all your meals to order. If you ask they will arrange transpo to and from the airport. Good Job Casa Cayena!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank spooon15
NYC
Reviewed June 13, 2010

My friends and I have been to the Dominican Republic about 10 times. We have stayed at Cayena at lkeast 6 times. Last trip we stayed at New Garden which was excellent. The staff at Cayena is very friendly and asked us to come back to Cayena for our next trip, which we did. We were a little disappointed in the quality of the hotel, some new policies and some of the staff.

First, I rented one of the Bungalows which is suppose to be a better than average room. I will say that the new TV was nice but when the power goes out for the wall outlets and the night security guard doesn't know how to reset it it is useless. This happened on my last night. In addition I had no lights in the bathroom and the fridge had no power. Just the last night this was a problem.

The A/C in this room was not very cold. At no point was my room very cold where I needed to turn the A/C down. The A/C was at MAX and still could not make the room comfortable. I asked the front desk to fix on day 1, they sent a handyman but he could not solve the problem. It may need freon or may need to be replaced.

The fridge also was not very cold. I think that because they unplug the fridge after every stayit takes too long to get gcold enough. By day 3 it was at a good level. Either DON'T UNPLUG the fridge or plug it in the day before you know a guest will arrive. It probably cost more in electricity to keep plugging in the fridge and having it draw so much power to get back to a cold level than if you just left it always plugged in. They are energey efficient so once at a cold level they do not take much power to remain cold.

The safe lock boxes were a big problem. Having them at the front desk is a bad idea. I know that there have been problems in the past where guests left their safe open in their room and money was taken by a girl but for the few people that this effects it causing a burden for the rest of us. It is actually less secure now for us because you now must leave the girl in the room alone to get money from the safe or put money into the safe. Also the safe room closes at 11pm which means that if you come back after 11pm with a girl you have no place to secure your money and items which allows the girl to steal it from you when you sleep. Also if you are drunk and open the safe and leave it unlocked now every guest and employee has access to it. If it was in my room oonly me and my girls would have access to it. It is a real bad idea.

The shower is very slippery and the soap dish is sloped down and the soap will not stay and falls out. I told them about this problem 2 years ago when I stayed in this same room but they have not corrected it. The floor needs a non slip coating or matting. I'm surprised no one has fallen.

The WiFi does not work in all rooms and only in a certain part of my room.

The menu has a price for a Pina Colada for 100 pesos and describes the drink with rum but they try to charge an additional 50 pesos if you ask foir rum. They don't understand that Rum is included in the description of the item.

While in the pool the wait staff doesn't come around to see if you want anything and you must get out of the pool and try o get their attention. They should be checking on the guests to make sure everthing is good.

All in all the hotel is not bad but it needs some minor improvements. In general the staff is very nice and helpful but do not solve all of the problems that arise. There needs to be a manager on site who can ensure that all issues are resolved as soon as possible. If they are not by the end of the stay we leave with a bad taste in our mouths and may look to stay elsewhere next trip.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wolfeman112
bergamo
Reviewed April 8, 2010

The location is very good, near the beach and many bars, restaurants and discotheque. It is a cheap hotel, the room was old and very simple. The A/C is very noisy and the swimming pool too: it is difficult to sleep there. Good breakfast. No frills hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
union nj
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I tell you Alina and her staff did a wonderful job again i just return from the Casa on March 14,2010 and what a great experence to all that work at the Casa Cayena Thanks and trust me i will be back. Brian in Union N.J.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
East Coast
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Stayed 1/14/10 - 1/19/10. Excellent customer service, great breakfast. The only negative is that the safes are not in the room, but are located in the managers office , you can access the safe from 7am -11pm. The safes should be located in the room, it is inconvenient to have to go to the lobby everytime you want to use your safe. I would stay again, but the safes need to be located in the rooms.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teledepot
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 30, 2009

This is a fantastic place to stay, clean spacious rooms, good food, reasonable rates. I had an unfortunate event occur my travelling companion passed away, and the hotel Manager Alina, was a god send. She helped me with all the arrangements, from travel to Santiago, set me up in hotels where i had to journey. She picked me up drove me around in her personal car, translated for me. Helped me at the hospital, morgue, funeral home, at the embassy. Let me use her personal cell phone for all my phone calls ...... many back to the states. I cant say enough good for this hotel. I Highly Recommend.

1 Thank czack