“Perla de Sosua”

Ranked #28 of 38 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Citra, Florida
“Perla de Sosua”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this establishment for 12 days in July. True it is a no frills apartment but everything was neat, clean and within a 5 minute walk to the beach. The staff especially Pablo was great!!! He really took care of us. Rooms were cleaned on a daily basis and the staff made us feel welcome. It was close to ATM's, restaurants, supermarkets, and night life if thats what your looking for. I was never in fear as we walked everywhere we needed to go....and I felt safe. As I said it is really no frills....but nice and comfortable. The only suggestion I would have is there were not enough appliances in the kitchen. No coffee pot, microwave and etc. I am making plans to return sometime in January and I in all probablitity will stay there again. But of course it always depends on pricing.

Room Tip: make sure you have a room with air conditioning because of the humidity and heat.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimrob2009
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Thanks for you comments, and more importantly your comments regarding Pablo and the balance of the staff.

With regards to the kitchen appliances at Perla de Sosua. You should first of all ask our staff for any items not already included in the kitchen. Very often kitchen items are onsite in borrowed out to another apartment or tucked away in our storage room. Given the electricity issues in the Dominican Republic Perla de Sosua will never have microwaves as a standard feature, but the coffee maker could have been provided and was most likely in another apartment

With regards to your comments on pricing. We offer discounts for weekly and monthly in addition to repeat customers discount starting at only three visits.

One of the reasons we are almost always near full is because of our loyal repeat customer base, some of our customers are getting up to a 25% discounts on our published daily, weekly and monthly rates

Again, thanks for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I will first warn you that if you are looking for a resort experience, this is probably not the place for you. That being said, it ended up being exactly what I was hoping it would be. I went on vacation in Sosua with a friend for 5 days and wanted a place where we would each have our own bedrooms and enough other space that we would not have to spend every second of our time together.

I also did not want to spend a small fortune to have the experience I wanted. I was more than willing to forgo some of the luxuries that I never use anyway (i.e. room service and a hotel bar), for better pricing and more space.

Our room was cleaned and new linens were supplied every day. We used the safe in the room as a precaution, however, I never felt that my belongings were at risk of disappearing. We had air conditioning in the bedrooms and there is even a small pool.

The location is perfect. It is a little secluded, but only 2 blocks from the main strip of bars and restaurants and very close to the beach as well, both Playa Alicia and Playa Sosua.

While the owner was not on site while we were there, Pablo was more than helpful during our entire visit. There is also a small rental car place on the same street where we were able to rent a car and see a couple of the other towns on the coast.

Overall, this was the perfect place for me. When I go back to Sosua, I will be staying at the Perla de Sosua. It may not be for everyone, but it was perfect for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Nice! Another person who "Gets it!" This person fully understands the concept behind Perla de Sosua. We are not a resort nor do we want to me. We are what we are and this customer fits our market demographics!

Less expensive than the resort hotel room and are geared toward priced conscience international traveler, who desires the ability to cook, have the extra spaces and living an apartment or condo lifestyle while traveling internationally.

We are a practical economical reasonably priced alternative to an expensive villa, a smaller and limited use hotel room, guest friendly providing the freedom that lacks at the all inclusive resort.

Only few minutes walk to the two beaches of Sosua Bay Beach and Playa Alicia. We are the last and seventh of 6 other properties located on a private Cul-de-Sac, its like absolute peace in the city center and ONLY up hill one small city block to ALL OF THE ACTION and NIGHTLIFE of Sosua.

This low cost, inexpensive, budget, limited frill concept works. Plus the value adds of FREE phone calls to the USA and Canada, FREE internet, FREE gated parking, OPEN guest friendly policy, King sizes bed in most apartments,and fits the developing country like Dominican Republic perfectly, and given our high occupancy rate others around the world understand the Perla de Sosua concept too!
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2012

First off let me start with the hotel itself. Other than the actual path to the hotel, which is very dark, isolated, and steep, the hotel was fine. It was just as advertised, no frills but adequate. The hotels appearance was fine, the rooms were simple but fine and I felt safe during my stay. There were no power shortages while I was there, and I always had warm water when I showered. The hotel is a good value for the money.
My issue was with the awful unprofessional management. I made my reservation about a month prior to my stay at Perla. I notified the owner/ property manager “Brent” that I had a late flight and would arrive at the hotel around 4am. He said that it was no problem but he would have to charge me for the night since he wouldn’t be able to rent the room; but it would be no problem and that Pablo (groundskeeper) would be aware of my arrival time and would be waiting for me.
I arrived at the hotel at around 3:30am. The door was open so I walked in and immediately noticed the security office. I walked up to the office but it was empty. There was no security at the hotel, and I walked around the entire complex looking for someone to let me into my room. I could have been a burglar or a thief and made out with anything since there was no security.
I went back outside the gate and rang the doorbell (which is extremely loud) for about a half hour and no one responded. I had my driver drive me around to find a place to stay since I feared that I wouldn’t be able to reach my room anytime soon. At this point it was 4:15am and there were no rooms available or the management had left for the night. Finding no room to stay in I returned back to the Perla. I ended up waiting outside the main gate from 3:30am until 6am. I sat in my drivers van sweating my butt off and getting eaten alive by mosquitos for nearly three hours. I rang and rang the bell for hours with no avail. I ended up giving my driver an extra $40 since this gentleman drove me around and stayed with me for 3 hrs. If he decided to leave me there I would have been all alone in the dark with all my bags (passport, wallet, $900, and cell phones I bought for friends) waiting outside for someone to let me in my room for nearly 3hrs.
At around 5:45am Pablo (groundskeeper) finally awoke from his “coma” and let me in. He said he was sorry and that he fell asleep. I asked if he was not aware that I would be arriving at 4am, he said he was aware but that he was too sleepy and fell asleep. I was understandably extremely vexed.
I contacted Brent (owner or property manager) the following day to inform him of my awful experience and to see how he would compensate an unhappy customer. His response was that: 1) I arrived at 3:30am instead of 4am which we had initially agreed upon. I responded by saying, “what difference would it have made if I arrived at 3:30am, 4am, or 4:30am? I still would have been waiting for hours regardless of what time I arrived”, 2) Brent said that it was a courtesy for me to be allowed to check in after hours. How in the world is it a courtesy if I paid for a full night’s stay for that night which I arrived on?!
Brent’s idea of fair compensation was to refund me that night’s stay, which is $30… Brent must be used to dealing with foreigners who aren’t American because stuff like this would not fly in the U.S. In fact I don’t believe he ever apologized at all.
I had planned on dropping off my bags and going to the After Hours club upon my arrival to Perla but due to this incident my first night in Sosua was ruined. I ended waiting in the heat, getting eaten alive by mosquitos for hours. I also gave my driver an additional $40. And this guy’s idea of fair compensation was to refund me $30. Brent is an awful businessman who obviously doesn’t care about his customers or guest.

Room Tip: Be aware of dealings with the owner.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank spikesegal
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
This customer's reply is a fairly accurate description of the events that took place. However a number o

1) I did upgrade the customer to a slightly more expensive apartment as part of the compensation. This upgrade was worth $7 per night or $28 in total as customer stayed a total of 4 nights

2) The customer paid for the previous night of the early morning of arrival with the hopes he could have some last minute fun in Sosua and make use of the room. The apartments rents for $30 per night and that is the value of what is immediate lost was.

3) Our check in time is 2:00pm, I normally did NOT allow customers to check in at 4am (customer willing to pay for it or NOT) This is 100% of courtesy I extend to customers that I feel that it will value or to good loyal repeat customers who understand me and the way I do business. We are not a hotel we are a specialty rental (vacation rental). As a result of this event I will never extend this offer again to a new customer.

I honestly feel the $30 refund and upgrade to a better apartments was fair compensation a total $58 for a total stay of 4 nights at $30 equaling $120 is more than fair, that is almost $50 off

Travelers are raving about these Sosua hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2012

this place is a joke. very nasty full of bugs and roaches. the room is not clean. the staff is rude. don't waste your money. the place is nothing like the pictures. you will have no power. there were holes is the wall the pool was dirty

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank toby l
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I am sorry you made the wrong selection for you stay, but why are you waiting until now to speak up? if I you have you spoken up, you would have been given a credit for your stay that you could have applied to one of the more upscale properties I own and manage.

In the "guest friendly" marketplace of sosua, I felt a low budget, no frills, place was
in demand for the tourist male and female customers who desired to interact with locals
and tourist in an apartment like setting, hence the high occupancy Perla de Sosua. My regular customers love the low rates and repeat stay discounts I provide

The Perla de Sosua concepts works best for those who are comfortable outside their normal
living environment and are not seeking to repeat what they have at home, but are willing
to explore and accept a new and different experience by living in a setting in they can FREELY inactive with the local community

If for $30 USD per night and only $180 per week guest friendly no hassle living is not
for you, In my DR inventory I own villas at $200 per night and have access to 2bedroom condos on the beach for a little less, outside of the DR I have million dollar villa in Curarco and a half million dollar 2000sqft apartment in St. Maarten, the credit issued could have been applied to anyone of these properties.

Given me a call or send an email I will more than happy to place you an higher end ocean view villa or beachfront condo I own

Again Sorry
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Wasn't bad at all. The owner(Brent) picked us up from the airport. The 2 bedroom we rented was clean. It was cleaned everyday, sheets changed and fresh towels. The owner had to go out of town while we were there, but pablo and the handyman(forgot his name) took care of any concerns. It is exactly as advertised, low ball price, home away from home setting.The place could use a furniture upgrade, i'm just saying...Neighbors were good, no loud music and ruckus going on. Power went out 2 or 3 times, but that's normal, plus they had back-up generators, wasnt long,an hour at the most. As far as insects or rodents i bought some insecticide from local supermarket, took care of them bugs...lol...As far as location, yes it is secluded and in a well lit area, plus at the top of the street leading down, there are two security guards, one for the bank and one for the plaza area where the stores are. Never once felt a threat of anyone in the area, even after dark or in the wee hours in the morning coming off the strip. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Now this review is written by a person who completely understands the concept behind Perla de Sosua "Economy" Vacation Apartment Rentals.

Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here march. It's very unsafe you enter from a back ally. My room was robbed. When I talked to the manger. He told me my friends stole the money. But my friends were not in the room when the money left. The room was never cleaned. The photos of the place look good , but trust me. It's unsafe and dirty!!! When I left because all the problems. The manger Brent ask me to leave a few hours early. Because he had my room rented. So when I left he stole another 300.00 dollars off me. To Mr brent your not a guest. You really just a ATM that he gets a chance to rob!! Safe travels. Everyone

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Digness
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
How not to be a "Fredo from the Godfather"

It should also been noted when customers come to Sosua and stay at "Guest Friendly" properties and further allow for local guest to enter and even live in your unit need to careful.

A) Take advantage of the room safes

B) Take time to really know the nature of you local guest before allowing them to stay in the room alone

C) Be firm but fair to your local guest

D) Walk your local guest to the gate and make sure the gate is closed after exiting

E) Make management and the management staff aware of your activities and intentions when it comes to your local guess, we are here for your benefit

F) and if you are man, be man and act like one
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I just left this place a couple days ago. Pablo the hotel worker was EXTREMELY helpful without speaking English. Im sorry I didnt see him the morning i left but will definitely look him up when i return. Being that i've been no stranger to Americas ghettos Safety was not an issue to me. Especially while Miguel (I think was his name) stood at the top of the hill with his shotgun made it perfectly known that he had my back. The location was perfect! Close to everything while also being secluded and private. Price was nice and hotel grounds were beautiful. The negatives were upon entering I immediately noticed the empty condom wrapper on bedroom floor. Then the mice droppings on the plates in the kitchen cabinets.. I think 7pm was start of the work shift for The Largest Roaches i've ever seen in my life!!!! Every evening they should showed up like clock work. Ants were an issue too. The electricity went on and off several times for first couple days. Not sure if that was normal or not. The last time it went out for a few hours. I brought it to Pablo's attention and never had another problem.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Brent L, Owner at Perla de Sosua, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Our Loyal and many repeat customers, earn LCD Rewards (Loyal Customer Discounts)

Loyal repeat customers in -GOOD STANDING- who book online, earn percentage discounts off our standard published rates.

LCD Rewards begin after only three visits to any of our properties and start at 3% off and continue to up to 25% off our standard publish rates.