“I was pleasantly surprised”
Review of Plaza Real Resort

Plaza Real Resort
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
A TripAdvisor Member
beacerton
Reviewed October 10, 2012

don't know what to say
it was a great place to stay and felt very comfortable
safe too...my boys were playing in the pool and I did not worry about them at all.
What a great place.
I liked that the staff did everything they could to make our stay a good one.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our family of six: Mom, Dad, two young daughters, and two small dogs, stayed at Plaza Real Resort in Juan Dolio for six nights. We are experienced travelers (even the dogs!), and value oriented. We prefer authentic local flavor to sanitized resort stays, and this small, local resort delivered a slice of Dominican life at the beach. Our fellow guests were a diverse group from Europe, the Caribbean, North and South America, and included many families. Our daughters loved their stay here, living in the pool which we had to drag them from to go to the gorgeous white sand beach across the street. They also loved the cable TV (a great diversion when the pool was closed) and watched four different channels of cartoons in Spanish whenever they could get a chance. Mom and Dad appreciated the BBC and CNN as well!

We stayed in unit #78, a "triple" which cost $50 a night. Unit 78 is a two story apartment that fronts the street above the ground floor shop space. This location has its pros and cons: a balcony view of the Caribbean Sea along with a large multistory resort. This resort is being built Mon-Sat, 8am to 6pm, and is supposed to be completed by October 2012. The noise did not bother us humans since we did not hang out in our apartment much during the day, but one of our dogs really hated it, hiding under the bed to escape. Sitting on the balcony watching the comings and goings on the street all hours of the day and night was very entertaining, especially since the Plaza Real is the hub of activity on this stretch of the beach. The beachfront properties that surround the Plaza Real are tall, posh and pricey resorts that seemed to be largely vacant.

The first floor of our apartment was a living-dining-kitchen area furnished with two ceiling fans, a double sleep sofa, two arm chairs, TV, dining table with eight chairs, and a balcony with a table and four chairs. The kitchen had cabinets, sink, gas range, and refrigerator, along with some cookware and tableware. Since this is NOT an all inclusive, our kitchen helped us save money by making breakfast, snacks, and mixing our own alcoholic drinks. The pool side cafe has wifi, excellent food and service at reasonable prices, but they do NOT allow outside food/drinks by the pool.

The second floor of our apartment had one bedroom with a queen bed/AC/ceiling fan and another bedroom with two twin beds and a ceiling fan. The beds were comfortable although well worn with clean but old sheets/pillows. The two baths were identically equipped: two bath towels, bathmat towel, bar soap, shower, toilet, bidet, and sink with cabinet. As in most Caribbean locations, toilet paper is disposed of in the trash, not the toilet. Drinking the water is not advised, so it's good to keep bottled water for drinking and tooth brushing just to be safe.

The grounds of the Plaza Real complex have four walk-up multistory buildings, as well as four small single story cottage accomodations. Local muralists painted landscape scenes on the interior and exterior walls throughout the buildings. Well maintained, charming tilework is everywhere - interior, exterior, floors, walls, and stairs. The complex is located in an enclosed landscaped garden with paths, fish/turtle pond with bridge, local crafts and decorative objects, as well as two business cottages: a masseuse and a mani-pedi-hair salon. The masseuse, Carolina, is EXCELLENT and an expert at therapeutic massage. A one hour massage costs RD 800 pesos (about $25 USD), so we adults indulged daily. The complex grounds are locked at night and patrolled by security who will let you in when you show your room key. All the resort staff are very friendly, helpful, and courteous, and keep track of everything and everyone, so we always felt safe and welcomed. Sometimes it takes a while to get what you need, but it will always be provided with a smile; being able to speak Spanish to the staff really helps you get what you need faster.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank IngridE508
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is going to be a difficult review for me. The friendliness of the staff and cleanliness of the place is always important to me. I wanted to give this hotel 3 Stars or Points, but I just can't do it and be honest.
Upon Check-In the Staff was friendly. They spoke good enough English that we could communicate well. I was with six other friends. I believe the staff could sense that I was skeptical about staying there. They allowed us to tour the rooms prior to giving us the keys although we paid for our rooms a week in advance on Expedia.Com.
Simply walking into rooms without a white glove, they appeared to be clean. The floors appeared to be exceptionally clean. Be mindful, the lighting in the rooms were with those low cost money saving bulbs that don't put out much light. After touring the facility we hand picked rooms 80, 83, and 47. I immediately brought to management's attention that room 47 needed towels. Management brought to my attention that the A.C. was temporarily down. Hmmmm?
Rooms 80 and 83 each had a upstairs and downstairs. Obviously the bedrooms and a bathroom was upstairs and the living room and kitchen was downstairs. I would give rooms 80 and 83 four (4) stars. Just no working Air Conditioning! All of our rooms had hot water. (thank you)
Back in my room 47, management did not bring me towels right away. I had to ask again and they then made towels available. I notice that the sheets were not changed on my bed because I saw pubic hairs in the bed. I went to management and they provided me with new sheets right away. Again, all service was with a smile but dang. The stove was kind of worn but I did not come there to cook anyway. Pots and pans were made available. All my friends and I had nice big balconies. The furniture throughout the hotel is old. For under $50/night this budget resort is not that bad. Again, everyone seemed very friendly. The grounds were kept clean and the swimming pool looked clean as well. The Spa looked kind of old and worn. This place just has old furniture. The outdoor Bar looked comfortable and relaxing by the swimming pool.
There is a lot of construction in the area around this hotel but that did not bother me. The restaurant downstairs was decent. We were able to watch the NBA Championship Game while eating.
There was security walking the grounds. I would not have felt threatened even without their presence. It would appear that you could have local guest at the hotel. Everything was calm and quiet otherwise. Buy new furniture and fix the A/C units and for the present price, I would easily give this hotel 4 Stars.
I would only recommend this hotel to someone on a budget that does not want to be locked into an All-Inclusive Resort.

Room Tip: I saw small rooms from the outside looking inside that looked pretty decent on the ground level. I...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank Ed M
Reviewed May 6, 2012

The Plaza Real is an awesome place to stay if you are visiting The Dominican Republic. The staff there are amazing, and the appartments are very clean. It is very close to the beach and also has everything you need right at your finger tips. I visit The Dominican Republic often and I always stay at The Plaza Real.

Thank you to everyone who works at The Plaza Real =) You make my vacations amazing everytime!

Jenni <3

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jenni D
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful stay at the Plaza Real Resort! This was a small but cozy hotel with a large apartment which was cleaned every day by smiling staff. Great area within the hotel with pool flowers and palm trees, cozy bar / restaurant with friendly staff. I came to the hotel 6.januar 2012 and stayed there a week before I traveled to Santo Domingo for another week and went on to Holguin in Cuba. The experience with you was very good and I want to come back;)
Magne from Norway;)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We had appartment number 4 for 3 nights at 47 USD per night . Big room , Big living-room , 2 Balconies , ceiling fans and AC (We did not use AC , we are in April ).
The 3rd day I had time to look at the nice swimming pool and the garden in the back with the fishes little pond . Plaza Real Resort is quite big . They had in 2011 , probably a painter from Haïti doing a lot of paintings on the walls and I like it .
To go to the beach , there is just across the street an access from 8AM to 6PM ,which is just fine . We walked this morning more than an hour on the right and there where much more to walk.

Room Tip: All rooms have a kitchen as far as I know . WIFI is free . We enjoyed room number 4 .
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank STEPHANE61
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Arrived on 4.9.12 past midnight, No reception or anything was open. Stray dogs lingering all over premises. As 3 girls we were scared, finally a man comes out of the bushes and tells us he's "Security" and to follow him. We didn't want to, but we still thought we might've entered through the back part of the hotel or something. Even our cab driver wasn't able to immediately find it. He leads us to the 4th floor, without any assistance for our luggage, and we enter the room. Words can't ever describe the horrible condition of this room. Frayed towels, mildew around sink and tub area, the couch was yellow and full of dirt. The sink, and refrigerator area was full of tarnished and crusty dirt. Bugs and mildew on the curtains. My friend laid down on the bed and less than 2 hrs later awoke with bites all over her upper leg. I cannot even understand why companies like ORBITZ, EXPEDIA, ETC. would even tarnish their reputation by allowing this hotel to be on their sites. They should be put out of business. We left immediately around 6am, considering there was no one to receive us or give us ANY information we simply left without notifying anyone and are intent with opening up a claim with our travel agent, because this sort of service is intolerable for people who give up their hard earned money. Some of these are amenities that most expect at even Holiday Inns. DO NOT BOOK HERE!! UNSAFE, AND DIRTY!!.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends