“Spotty at best.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Provo, Utah
“Spotty at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time that I have traveled in the Dominican republic, and only the second hotel I have stayed in here. So, I do not know how this hotel compares with a lot of other hotels here. The food is not good. Service is not good, but staff is friendly. Good security though.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jack H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Got room 1223; daily cleaning service; nice friendly staff from the security staff in the parking area to Deivi the waiter in the buffet area who will treat you like royalty. Ac did not work properly in room 2223 after complainning in front desk got a new room with ac working ok. Weird smell in rooms from septic. Owner of hotel very friendly; nice beach area. The only and big problem was the food; simply terrible! poor quality; greasy. Got sick from day one and had to order food from el conuco restaurant near juan dolio. I rather pay a bit more but get better food and drinks quality. I dont think we'll be going back!

Room Tip: Rooms in first floor smell weird due to septic tank near by.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank vacationspy
ALLEN TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

While the grounds and the beach were beautiful, the rooms and the food left much to be desired. The room (double) was very basic: dirty white walls and tile floor; the bathroom was semi-clean, size was ok but the shower head was old and corroded with only a small stream of water and I felt like I needed to wear my flip-flops at all times in the room. There was a large roach in the bathroom in the middle of the night. The buffet was less than appetizing, some of the food was unidentifiable, and the pasta and sauce was cold. Breakfast was ok, wasn't there for lunch, the only things we felt safe eating at dinner was rice and carrots, plus the fresh pineapple. Our room was finally cleaned at 4:30 pm, no fresh towels were provided. This so-called resort is in desperate need of a make-over.

Room Tip: There were no good rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank cam91996

Travelers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

st.helens
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed for a week, the room was basic but had what was needed plus cleaned properly each day and fresh towels provided. The staff were fantastic, very very friendly and helpful, one waiter even gave up his day off bless him, to take us to a nearby town on a local bus as there is truly nothing to do here other than soak up the sun on the glorious (private) beach. The food is cooked nicely, the soup each lunch and dinner time is wonderful so don't miss out on this. However, in saying the latter the rest does become repetitive and I don't want to eat another pineapple for quite a while as the puds are very limited! Nevertheless, there was only us and one other man as clients for a few days hence we could literally order from the chef whatever we wanted, only problem being the miscommunication, one day we asked for scrambled eggs and received fried lol, plus after 4 days of much of the same on the buffet (steak, chops etc in sauces, so you certainly won't go hungry as there are things to chose from) we hankered for simple burger and chips and this was cooked wonderfully, 'proper' meat and chunky fries... tasty and he did one evening make us fresh garlic bread to have with the soup, my tuna steak was divine as were the fresh veg that went with it! We did initially ask for a room with a pool view but were given one facing the gardens; yet in all fairness a couple of days later when a room by the pool became free they immediately offered it to us but we were settled and happy where we were by then, so stayed put as the grounds are well tended plus it is peaceful. Overall, a very nice stay but due to it being nearly 2 hours from the airport and little to do, we sadly won't be returning. Oh a word of warning, you have to pay $10 each into the country and a fee on the way out too, we didn't know this so take some dollars with you as that's what they ask for NOT their own currency so go figure!!! For a chilled out week away I would say.... go for it, but take reading material and games to occupy you whilst there.... and ENJOY! P.S just remembered, let the water run in the shower for about 5 minutes, the first day I thought it was freezing but when my guy went in he said it was great, and it really is once the first jets of cold have gotten through and out :D

Room Tip: We ended up preferring the room by the gardens as there is music being played by the pool from about...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SthelensSox
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I will start by saying that I requested a ocean view room and it was all I expected! Very calm, romantic view. Nice breeze, cool shade, extremely relaxing! Everything I was hoping for. Food was fresh and healthy. Loved the variety of the buffet!

I will definitely be taking a trip back to Playa Esmeralda Beach Hotel! :)

Room Tip: Second floor, ocean view building.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank EstherC466
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights. The room was adequate, nothing spectacular, but comfortable and clean. I had a room on the ground floor with direct access to the pool, which also gave the pool direct access to my room. Even with this situation, I felt comfortable moving around the resort, safe. The staff was nice and spoke enough english. Had blue margaritas at the bar, buffet style meals mostly, nothing amazing, but the spaghetti sauce was very tasty.

The beach is nice, very nice weather! The vendors didn't approach me one time, you just nod them away from a distance and they dont bother.
Super close to the airport, Id repeat. Sat out on my deck area, poolside saturday night with the dj up in the disco, easy to talk with friend. Had some wonderful times here, would repeat.
Id say the safe in the room did NOT have a lock and that kinda bugged me, the shower had hot water, but you had to run the water for like 5 minutes before it reaches the room from the heater. Didn't venture out of the resort, cant say anything about the surroundings.
Would repeat, but I think I wanna try La Romana area next.

Room Tip: Ocean view room was nice, might have preferred 2nd or 3rd floor, but access to the restaurant and ba...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank WaynesTravels
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our last night before taking an early flight home.
As others have said, this is a quiet resort, mostly catering to (older) European vacationers who come for a week or two. The facilities are clean and the hotel is on a beautiful clean beach. The food served is adequate with some variety, but no one should expect a high-end all-inclusive resort with outstanding gourmet food and services. We felt the service was alright, not what we have experienced in other Mexican high-end all-inclusive places, but certainly not rude.
The hotel and food arrangement served our needs for the price we paid. Other travelers we talked to felt the same. The rooms were quiet and the view was spectacular. We were looking for a smaller place with a quieter atmosphere, and we found it.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the beach area. Most of the rooms, however, have a nice garden view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 11 in Juan Dolio
4.0 of 5 stars 529 reviews

Been to Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!