“Nice and relaxed”

Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days and 3 nights. The room was adequate, nothing spectacular, but comfortable and clean. I had a room on the ground floor with direct access to the pool, which also gave the pool direct access to my room. Even with this situation, I felt comfortable moving around the resort, safe. The staff was nice and spoke enough english. Had blue margaritas at the bar, buffet style meals mostly, nothing amazing, but the spaghetti sauce was very tasty.

The beach is nice, very nice weather! The vendors didn't approach me one time, you just nod them away from a distance and they dont bother.
Super close to the airport, Id repeat. Sat out on my deck area, poolside saturday night with the dj up in the disco, easy to talk with friend. Had some wonderful times here, would repeat.
Id say the safe in the room did NOT have a lock and that kinda bugged me, the shower had hot water, but you had to run the water for like 5 minutes before it reaches the room from the heater. Didn't venture out of the resort, cant say anything about the surroundings.
Would repeat, but I think I wanna try La Romana area next.

Room Tip: Ocean view room was nice, might have preferred 2nd or 3rd floor, but access to the restaurant and ba...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank WaynesTravels

Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our last night before taking an early flight home.
As others have said, this is a quiet resort, mostly catering to (older) European vacationers who come for a week or two. The facilities are clean and the hotel is on a beautiful clean beach. The food served is adequate with some variety, but no one should expect a high-end all-inclusive resort with outstanding gourmet food and services. We felt the service was alright, not what we have experienced in other Mexican high-end all-inclusive places, but certainly not rude.
The hotel and food arrangement served our needs for the price we paid. Other travelers we talked to felt the same. The rooms were quiet and the view was spectacular. We were looking for a smaller place with a quieter atmosphere, and we found it.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the beach area. Most of the rooms, however, have a nice garden view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Barbara O
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The defintinion of a resort is a place were people go to vacation and relieve some stress. This place was the worst. I have never been so disappoint in my entire life. First of all they had favoritism among their, even though everyone should be treated equal because everyone is paying for the same service. Secondly they had parking for only five cars, the air conditioner in the room sometimes worked and sometimes it didnt, and the shower also only sometimes worked. At the front desk the people were rude, nasty, disrespectful, and a complete disgrace to the people of Dominican Republic. Thirdly they hardly served any food at all and the food they did serve was disgusting, and they had no variety.It was an utter shame that you go to this place expecting one thing and you get the complete opposite. As well as all the employees in this place complained for every little favor you asked them....am I a guest or an employee to get my own drink. I wouldn't recommend this place because it isn't even a resort to anyone, not even my worst enemy. I will not return to this place again. Two thumbs down :( Horrible Customer Service.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank MiszZ
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I chose this hotel to spend a night with my boyfriend because it is close to the capital (Santo Domingo). We wanted to go to the beach and we hadn't got much time. Then, my boyfriend decided to give me a surprise by organizing a private dinner at the beach and we got engaged in a very romantic sightseeing. The staff of the hotel was very kind, they prepared a beautiful table and an excellent diner, and they made everything for us to have an unforgettable evening. Special thanks to Rosa and Hector for their help and attentions. We would recommend this resort for couples that are looking for a simple, quiet, peaceful and beautiful place to spend one or two nights out of the noisy rhythm of city life.

Room Tip: Prefer 2nd and 3rd floor rather than the first...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chin0la
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Initial impression was not good. I was told there was a 6% charge for payment with a credit card. Fortunately I had enough pesos with me instead of using credit card. There was no welcome drink or Coca Cola in refrigerator on first day. I had to plug refrigerator in myself. Air conditioner could not be regulated so it was extremely cold and uncomfortable sleeping. The icing on the cake was that I contracted scabies and other bug bites at the hotel. I am still dealing with deal itchiness and sleeplessness even after 2 treatments for scabies.
Dominican Republic is a favorite place of mine and I have been there 15 times. Each trip was more than wonderful. This trip was far from wonderful to say the least.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Patricia G
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We stayed at this resort for 12 days (we were a group of 8) and in my opinion it is a gem. The service in the buffet, housekeeping and front desk was prompt and always professional. All needs were met in a timely fashion and everyone was more than happy to accomodate our requests for extra towels etc. The food was very good, always tastey and an abundant supply.
The grounds are well kept and the pool and beach are kept clean. I would stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend this resort to others who wish a relaxing, peaceful place to holiday.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NANCY D
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I made my reservation for this place togo with my boyfriend and since i arrived, i tell him "Im not going to stay here". Fisrt of all, there was not Parking available for more than 10 cars... but its ok. We entered into the lobby and the guy in reception is the WORST customer service i've seen in my life. He told us we have to pay a recharge of 15 dollars each one for early check in, and it was only 40 minuts before the check in time. I asked him to talk to his supervisor and he said NO, there was no supervisor, there was no one who could helped us. Other 3 couple arrived and he gave the same treatment. He was totally hostil. I decided to get into the hotel to see the place and decide if it worth it to pay the diference and i can say this place is anything else but a resort... it looks cheap, dirty, abandoned, disorganized and alone. I decided to leave from the hotel, and i told the guy in the reception and he said "Do whatever you want". I stayed in shock for a few minuts but decided to leave. I went back to "Don Juan, Bocachica" and spent a really awesome weekend for the same price. I really couldnt belive that this hotel SO BAD have a so prepotent guy as first Face. If they want to stay in market,they better do something FAST. PS: The other 3 couples also went to other places.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Marlina2111
Rosa S, Gerente at Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2012

Apology for the inconvenience, we are working to improve our services each more.

NOTE:
our check in is from 15:00 pm and our check out from 13:00 pm for the room you can stay in the Hotel until 17:00 pm

Rosa Smith

Be Live Experience Hamaca Garden
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Playa Esmeralda Beach Resort? Share your experiences!