Sybaris Suites & Residences(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
$128
$117
Hodelpa Garden Suites(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
$128
$75
Emotions by Hodelpa(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
$158
  • Breakfast included
Plaza Real Resort(Juan Dolio)
$35
  • Beachfront
$60
$57
TripAdvisor
D' Franchecis Hostal(Juan Dolio)(Great Value!)
2,356 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 20, 2006

I have just returned from 2 chilled out weeks at the Costa Caribe. My boyfriend and I were dreading this trip having read all the reviews about the hotel and were considering changing hotels once we arrived at Punta Cana.
First I will tell you the bad points:
1. It is a three hour coach journey from the airport to the resort. There is a new highway being built that will reduce this to 1.5 hours. The Dominicans drive fast and crazily - it will be an experience and you do get to see the country.
2. If I am being really really picky, the beach had a few too many sun loungers on it compared to the amount of people.

When we arrived at the resort we were amazed, the reception area is gorgeous and the resort is CLEAN.
Our bedroom was large with sea views and in a quiet area, whilst not being out of the way.
We had en-suite and our shower had water and pressure.
The beach is not small and you can swim. It is not the white sands blue sea that you think of but it is extremely clean and clear. I have never seen a man work so hard and continuously as the beach cleaner.
The food is great, the buffet is brilliant at breakfast and lunch - there was always plenty of choice and plenty of food. The fruit is lovely.
The three a la carte restuarants are good, you may have to wait for a table but you can visit them all as often as you like.
The chocolate friends are good if you need entertaining everyday there was aerobics, games, volleyball, water polo and shows in the evening. Films were shown early evening for the younger children.
The weekends do get busier however, whilst we were there I would say that during the week there was only 100 guests at the resort so it was empty (the resort is huge) at the weekend this number went up to around 250 guests so it seemed busier. It was not a problem as there is plenty of space and shade for everyone.

Every member of staff works ridiculously hard, always cleaning, clearing and smiling. They were all friendly and helpful.

I would advise people to go on the Soana Tour - it is beautiful.
Take the snorkel tour from the hotel. It will be the best $20 you will ever spend.

This resort is a high quality 3 star resort. I will return there at some point in the near future.

I highly recommend people to go there.

22  Thank QUE_BUENO
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Well, I was pretty scared after reading some of the reviews on here (after I had booked of course) but ended up having a wonderful time. I have to admit that we would probably try a different resort if we returned to the country, though. It seemed that there were some drawbacks to every part of the trip, but overall we had a nice time.

ROOM: Our room was large and clean. The free beer, coke, and water was restocked daily without a problem. We were on the 4th floor of N building, which was a very quiet part of the hotel UNTIL the night there was a young girl's 15th birthday party directly below our balcony in one of the hotel restaurants. The music was unbelievably loud and lasted until just after 1am. Another BIG problem with the rooms is that all rooms adjoin to the room on either side by double wooden doors. The doors apparently had NO SOUNDPROOFING so we could hear every word of normal conversation from the rooms on both sides of us. Especially annoying when the group in one of those rooms came back from the disco at 3:30am very drunk and rowdy and another night when the baby in the room on our other side cried from 4 to 5am.

FOOD: My husband and I are both vegetarian, so our options were much more limited than some. However, we were able to get by without a problem, even if it meant many meals of salad with black beans and veggies. The meat dishes sometimes looked especially odd, and I suspect that people who have gotten sick were eating the chicken. The Tex-Mex place had veggie enchiladas and the buffet had other options like eggplant a few times, a pasta station some days, and different rice/bean/veggie dishes. The snack bar made good fries.

ALCOHOL: Considering it was all-inclusive, very good. Bartenders were friendly and a small tip at the beginning of the evening ensured strong drinks all night.

BEACH: Beautiful but small. They did a great job of keeping the beach clean. The vendors were constant but most were not too intrusive. One or two got rude when we refused to look at their stuff. The sun came up very early and we found that around 8:30 to 9am the beach was deserted and very relaxing. The water is not as warm at this time but it's hot outside and worth it for the peace and quiet. DON'T say "No, gracias" to the vendors if you don't actually speak Spanish. They know what "No, thanks" means and you will just look dumb when they continue speaking to you in Spanish.

STAFF: Very friendly and laid-back. Some people have written on this site that they didn't speak English. First, you are not in an English speaking country and the resort does not primarily cater to English speakers (mostly Puerto Ricans and Dominicans when we were there) so why should they? Second, I found that nearly everyone spoke enough English to help me or answer my questions, even the teenage boys who take care of the tennis courts. Take a phrase book, smile, and be patient if you don't speak their language.

Overall, our nice time was because we were relaxed and enjoying the weather, beach, and water of this wonderful country. For the incredible price we paid, we really can't complain too much about the small annoyances of the resort. If you can swing a few hundred more, though, I suggest trying a different resort.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Alabama
Reviewed June 11, 2006

On the positive side, the staff were all consistently friendly, helpful, and diligent. The water is beautiful, the diving pretty good (not advanced but full of life with healthy reefs), and the sit down restaurants were pretty good. The few problems I had were fairly immediately addressed. My first suite (on the North side) was dark, moist (the AC only stayed on if the room key was in a slot on the wall), and felt as if it was in an unsafe, dark location. They quickly switched our rooms to the beach side and they were fine. The view from the beach side is georgeous. Some man did try to get into my room one night - when I called security they were there within a minute or two (out of breath from running). When I wanted extra towels and water, they were usually there soon. The trip is affordable and the all inclusive food/drink price also affordable. Most of the food was good, but I did get tired of rice & beans and potatoes every day. The spa is just a converted room, or an unairconditioned shack by the beach, but the massages were fantastic. If you're shy about being touch or not covered up though, it isn't for you. They are much less inhibited than any massage I've had in the states.
Some things to watch out for.....I only had 2 hot showers in 7 days. You don't get extra water unless you leave a note and money for the maid. The lack of fresh vegetables was disappointing. There is only well liquor. There were bugs everywhere, in my room, in my bed, growing homes on the walls. The sheets were worn and frayed. There were days when my bathroom was not cleaned, even though they made the bed. And the maids came by your room three times a day rather than doing everything at once; they always seemed to be hanging around in the hall through most of the day.
There were periodic black outs and elevators that seemed to stop wherever they wanted. And I'd highly recommend NOT scuba diving there unless you're already certified and comfortable and experienced in the water. Do not take a resort course there - I'm a very expereinced diver and saw many unsafe and potentially dangerous things. I also found the parts of the island I saw (from Romano, San Pedro, and Santo Domingo) to be very dirty, empoverished, and seemingly unsafe. I was grabbed walking down the street. Vendors are very aggressive. And the garbage and dirt all over the island (outside of the resort which is immaculate) disgusting. I actually thought parts of Havana were in much better condition than the cities I saw in DR.

So if you don't want any luxury, an affordable small resort that you don't leave, and a beautiful beach with georgeous water, it's just fine.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 9, 2006

Let me explain about us first--my husband and I are age group 50-65. We went on this trip with two twenty year olds. We are used to staying at Four Season or the Ritz-ty0pe of hotels in suites or on club levels; so, I was a bit concerned about some of the reviews I saw regarding this hotel. Hoping for the best because we had never stayed at an all-inclusive.....we visited the Costal Caribe Coral for a week.

THE GOOD:The grounds on this place are impeccable...the ambiance is alive and friendly...and the service is comparable to some of the best places I've frequented. But, I will say you have got to get your "mind" ready for the experience. First of all, prices were very competitive for what we got including all-inclusive room so I was wondering if liquor wouldn't be watered down and food a bit stale. I have to admit (and pleasantly at that) that the food was better than I ever expected for an all-inclusive and the licquor was free-flowing and the real stuff!

THE ROOMS: Now...you ask, how about the rooms? Well, like I said...the grounds are beautiful and so postcard-like in their appearance. The rooms are good size and clean but probably need updating as the furniture looks a bit frayed and some of the things don't work 100% in the rooms. We had problems with two different rooms within a 24 hour period of our check-in; but, the staff put forth their best effort to repair the problems and move us to other equivalent accomodations. They were extremely apologetic and eager to make us happy.

THE STAFF: The service of the staff whether it was the desk staff, concierge, tour guide booking agents, restuarant staff, or maids went above and beyond the call of duty to ensure we had a great time! They all went the extra mile for us! I never heard or saw anybody who had any theft problems and everybody I know got their water daily, clean linen and towels, and the extra perks of strewn fresh flowers and towel arrangements.

FOOD/DRINK: There were plenty of neat fruit drinks, sodas, and alcoholic beverages free flowing! There are two restaurants to chose from during daytime and four/five to choose from at nights. The Santa Fe Grille (Tex-Mex) is only opened every other night in the summer. The Italian restaurant is very nice as well as the buffet restaurant; however, our favorite was the Dominican-influenced restaurant. The food was ALL healthy with a variety of types to choose from with plenty of fruit and light desserts. If you are on a lo-carb diet, you could literally stay on it if you needed to. None of the food was what you would call "gourmet"-type; however, it was above average and my entire group enjoyed it!

SOME NEGATIVES: I will say we didn't always have hot water...sometimes it was lukewarm (but I have had that problem at many a hotel). Every once in a while, the electricity would go "off" for a few seconds...again, this has happened to us at various hotels too. On the first few days of your arrival, the Vacation Share Agents will attempt to get you to come in for a visit to their sales pitch; but, if you're not interested...just tell them nicely but firmly one time--that is all it took for us!

Some people are just downright rude when traveling and they always expect something for free! We saw this from several rude guests...one wanted his room "comped" for his entire stay because his door wouldn't close correclty! I have read reviews that said that the staff was rude and/or indifferent. But, I found that if these people are treated with the same respect and diplomacy we expect to receive ourselves, they are extremely helpful and very professional. It is kind of like the old addage, if you smile..they'll smile back!

ALL IN ALL, I WOULD COME BACK--especially for a holiday visit like Thanksgiving or Christmas. It was a great value for the money and would recommend it to anybody unless
you couldn't stay in less than a five-star!

Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank txtonc
Reviewed June 8, 2006

I spent 6 days at the Costa Caribe Coral by Hilton, the staff was very pleasant, the grounds were very clean, plenty of food and very good. However the gym is extremely old the equipment is disgusting, the beach towels are very old and terrible, the room was clean but the sheets, pillows and bedspread were gross and disgusting . I was very surpised that this is a 4 star hotel. The rooms need to be renovated, the bathroom shower was in terrible condition. I do not recomend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2006