“This place is a dive”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“This place is a dive”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

First off let me start off by sayingI do not write reviews. But since this place was so bad I have to let people know to stay away. I have been to DR 13 times it this is far the worst place to stay.
Lets start off on the room. The beding, the bottom sheet did not fit the bed at all. So I ended sleeping on the top sheet and used the cover as the top sheet. I normaly leave a tip ever day for the maids. I did one day but then stopped becasue you can not get towels and they do not always make up the room. as far as when they do clean the room I saw them mopping with dirty water so do not walk on the floor with out shoes on. Also you do not get towels ever day they take your dirty towel and never give you one back you have to fieght with the frount desk to get a towel. I am glad I always bring one with me and that did help. The toilet back up ever time you used it and they used the same water to clean up that mess to mop the floor with. I had to use the toilet out on the first floor loby. The air conditionor did not always work thank god ther was a fan in the room.
As for the pool it is so dirty you sould not go in it, either one of them.
AS for the food it is so salty you do not need to use salt and have to force it down.
AS for the building of the place it saw better days ever time it rained at tight it would leak thru the roof. This place need to be shut down and redone or totaly shut down.
AS for the sail boat they show on there webpage there is none.
as for the jet ski they do have them but they can not kept them running
as for the sail boards yes they have them but they try to cahrge you for a training to use them, I have been to other resorts were they show you and do not charge you. they do have kayaks and they let you use them for free that is the only thing true on there web page.
Do not and I mean do not book this place if you have get out of it
As for remodeling in 2012 that is a total lie.
This place is a rip off

Room Tip: do not book here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank patravelingmanjj
LilibethGarcia, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Client:

The Coral Costa Caribe Hotel, Resort, Spa & Casino family is pleased to extend you our most cordial greetings.

Our Resort ensures that prior to our valued guest’s arrival, all our rooms are carefully prepared and all the equipment in the rooms works properly. For this our housekeeping department revises throughout each room in order to provide our customers with all the amenities our clients require. On a daily basis our housekeeping staff revises every room and proceeds to change the towels according to the procedure established in our environmental friendly policy, whilst providing clean towels and bed linen is integral to supply a quality service, many guests are happy to have their towels and sheets changed less frequently to help reduce the environmental impact of our operation. We guarantee you that our competent staff works with their best disposition to accomplish all our guests’ requirements, within the diverse services of our operation.

Allow us to inform you that our Hotel is constantly developing improvements by working towards refurbishing, landscaping and beautifying the Hotel. We have recently made some renovations in our areas such as Rooms, Disco, Snack bar, etc. Many improvements were also made in our conference rooms, including also our entertainment areas. We consider that these renovations transformed our property to a better hotel in comparison to years before. At our hotel we keep working to update our rooms, restaurants, common areas and all our meeting spaces.

Pertaining to your observation about our pools, we should inform you that we clean our pools everyday by applying special chemicals design for the Hotel Industry, this process usually takes approximately 12 hours to be completed and it’s a standard daily procedure in most hotels in the country.

We hope to have the occasion of receiving you in our Resort again in the near future, with the intention of improving the impression you have of our Hotel.

Coral Costa Caribe Resort, Spa & Casino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

i had a great time at this resort but my stay was great because of the friend that came with me and the friends we made that worked at the Hotel. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel as far as rooms, this is not it! I hope this information helps:

1. Check in is at 3pm (This rule is never broken)

2. If you are not a picky eater you'll love the food. There is a board outside of the buffet that tells you which restaurants are open on which day. If you go to the snack bar (Only open when the restaurants are closed) be prepared for disorganization and very long lines on the weekend. Only 1 guy works back there and they take their time. I jumped the line many times to avoid waiting forever. The restaurant food is delicious the buffet food is buffet food. And no there is not an infestation of flies at the buffet.

3. If you like alcohol ask for double alcohol, if you don't ask you get little alcohol. Or just find Ezekiel he makes the best drinks!!! (tell him Camisa sent you)

4. The Boom club is only live on the weekends and the bar inside is cash bar but the free bar is on the outside. The Casino you won't be sad if you don't go.

5. Activities: During the week go to the towel center and ask which activities are actually being done that day. The hotel has an activity schedule but not all activities are done unless it's the weekend. For water sports information go all the way to the left side of the hotel to the little hut. If you want to go ATVing see Lenny or Gabriel don't go to anyone else. If you want to do the crazy horses see Rafael outside on the motorcycles. Be prepared for random activity ppl to ask you everyday if you want to go somewhere and do something. And don't fall for the Santo Domingo tour, it's not worth the $40. Book your sight seeing tours before you come, they'll be better than what the hotel will offer.Mini golf is un-kept (looks ghetto) and the tennis courts are only nice and clean on the weekends. They actually give you new balls and on the weekends during the week we got dirty tennis balls or bring your own stuff to play with. The Jacuzzi is at the spa, hiding. Juan Dolia is a small town and the walk into the center is nice. San Pedro is where you'd go for the discoteque.

6. The pool by the pool bar is always dirty because lots of ppl are always in it. Go to the pool to the left.

7. The beach is nice but you will always have to tell the vendors no, no, and no again. they're trying to make money but you're trying to have a vacation. To avoid vendor just go into the water. There is an older gentlemen that cleans the beach all day either clean up after yourself our give him a tip cause he does a great job!

8. The rooms are regular, nothing spectacular but if you're on vacation to enjoy your room then you could do that at home and save money. They don't give you wash cloths. Wash cloths are an American thing so bring your own. The soap is not that great if you use hotel soap, bring your own. Sometimes the water pressure goes away. Call downstairs and they'll fix it. You have to control the AC temp by the plug. Ours had one temp and it was on Antarctica until we unplugged it and noticed it began to defrost on our balcony. The walls are thin. Are next door neighbors kept us up for an hour doing you know what.

9. Hotel: the grounds are nice but beware ladies the bathroom near the lobby on the left side, where you check in, looks like a place where you'd get kidnapped. We called it "the kidnap bathroom" Actually just use the bathroom in your room. During the day the toilets don't flush well anyway. The workers were always nice but the hotel has stupid rules. Don't invite anyone you know in the DR to visit you if you stay here. If you want them to go past the lobby they have to pay. Even if its only for a couple of hours. This is stupid and probably the reason I wont return because I have many friends that live in the DR and they can't hang out with me at the hotel.

10. Wifi: you're not in the states so don't be salty because there isn't free wifi. That concept is an American thing, so get over it fast. If you do use the free wifi in the lobby here is a tip, it goes in an out. This is frustrating but you'll live. Also if your balcony is close to the lobby you'll pick up the signal on your balcony.

11. Hotel staff is great!! Oh my goodness they were the best part!! Ladies if you aren't used to men hitting on you and be unashamed about it, be prepared. Dominican men know what they like and they will go after it so enjoy it!

Overall we had a good time! I don't know if Ill return. If I could get a nicer room and private beach for the same price somewhere else that Id take that instead.

Room Tip: either upgrade to a suite or join the vacation club for a great room! If not enjoy mediocre.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2013

So...wanted to break up the monotony of capital hotels, BIg Mistake!!! Check in is a bit slow but concierge are really nice. Front desk are pleasant too. Rooms are motel quality at best. Ugly, dusty and in desperate need of repairs. Beds are hard and linens are not nice. Buffet is dreadful and menus from the other restaurants are okay. Drinks are watered down and I'm talking only about the non-alcoholic ones. Sooo cheap. I wanted to check out the minute I saw the barrage of day-pass locals behaving badly. Customer service was very nice and offered just about everything to try and wipe the disappointed look from our faces (4 guests total ) but I preferred to lose all of my money and check out early into a more suitable place back in the capital. Stick to La Romana, Punta Cana or anywhere else. Juan Dolio and Boca Chica is in a state of despair and unless they invest millions, there is no point. Beach is okay though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Travelsof10DR
LilibethGarcia, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Client:

It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed our fabulous beach as well as our A la Carte Restaurants and that you appreciated the friendliness of our Concierge, Front Desk and Guest Service staff; we are aware that it is only because of them that we are able to achieve our goal, the continuous improvement of our services.

We would like to inform you that it is hotel policy to sell day passes to locals, as well as foreigners, who wish to enjoy our facilities for a day. It is important to outline that this is a regular procedure in most of the all-inclusive resorts in the world. We can assure you that this does not affect the services that we offer to the guests staying for a longer period.

Please consider that our bars are places of recreation where most of our clientele comes to unwind while enjoying a drink. Our six bar's recipes and their entertaining music create the satisfactory environment for our guests to enjoy and relax at once. A very wide selection of drinks will provide our customers the opportunity to complete the wonderful experience of their vacations. We are really sorry to know that our beverage offer was not at the level of your standards.

Our Resort acknowledges that essentially throughout the staff courtesy, rooms comfort, cleanliness and pleasant environment our Hotel is able to create the experience our clients expect during their vacations, leading to the subsequent contentment of our dear customers. Therefore, our rooms are under a constant improvement process in order to guarantee the success of our efforts for achieving customer satisfaction. For us, our customer perception of our services and accommodation is extremely valuable as it plays an important role on their satisfaction which is the key factor in the success of our aim as Hospitality Establishment.

Travelers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
Reviewed July 1, 2013

i've been going to the same hotel since i was two years old. why? because my parents every time they went to a different hotel, there was a problem. always. Then, they came here. They said "here's everything we've been looking for." we go twice a year, and everytime it gets better. they have always something new to offer. I have been reading the reviews. they say they have an awful personal. How can they say that? The best personal it's here! they have now a VIP area. in the beach its so beautiful, and they're working to make it even better in more places of the hotel. Im getting amazed on every trip. Can't wait for the another trip there! Really, I LOVE IT.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Yvonne C
Belleville, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I have been resding all of the reviews you people have been posting before and after our vacation and all I can say is bull pucky poop in other words.i had the best time of my life while I was at this resort and im not young awesome staff wonderful food the best excursions ever. If you want to stay in your room why vacation. Your supposed to be outside enjoying the weather if you come from the southern states stay home please we don't need your negativity. Try living where I do minus 30 in the winter. We are booking out next vaca for jan 2014 at coral costs caribe see you then

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Cathy C
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hotel looks nice when you first arrive but you'll find the rooms are very old and there is dangerous holes in the walls were plug sockets are missing.
When you enter the pool area you'll find several people trying to sell you trips and gifts. The same people ask you over and over again everyday which drives you crazy. On the beach you are also constantly saying no to people trying to sell you things(within 10 minutes 7 different people approached me).
The only music that is played is salsa and most of the entertainment is based on salsa dancing.
At weekends the hotel is full of locals on the pull. They eat and drink the place dry!!! There is nowhere to sit in the restaurants and most of them have no manners. A few locals were even smoking weed around the pool. Mon to thurs is a lot better in the hotel.
Everybody is after a tip so have your money ready!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ksisson
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I do try to find the good in even the not so great places...so lets start there, aaaaawww... well the weather was awesome - LOL. Stayed for a week Christmas 2012 - and the staff did put their hearts into making a beautiful setting for the meals for both Christmas and New Years Day! This is a very dated hotel, and has seen better days, albeit clean and the staff were friendly enough, but nothing above average! The rooms are larger but beds are super hard and my bathroom was missing wall tiles and the vanity was stained with cig. burns. The hotel itself is a smaller U shaped tiered structure, (the main building) if your room is on any of the interior tiers you will experience the "sounds" echoing from the bar, restaurant and pool area located closer to the middle of the U. As this is a smaller resort the dining room lacks in space and selection. The pool has a swim up bar, just small. There is a gym, but very dark and dated. Included is a newer casino and a nice Mexican Rest. but located across the street. The beach is probably the nicest along the stretch of resorts, but walked along to the public beach area and found it was nicer. Be advised (because I was not told by my travel agent) ...unfortunately, at this resort beach vendors are NON-STOP and unavoidable! Yes, they are making a living, and yes they go away when asked, but they switch up all day long and it is constant. I would not return. But this one helped me with my measuring stick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
LilibethGarcia, GM Assistant at Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Dear Client:

We thank you for your kind comments about our wonderful beach and the friendliness and attentiveness of our staff. We guarantee our clients that our main goal is to satisfy their requirements, for this our Hotel ensures the commitment of our staff to serve with the best disposition and willingness just as our hotel slogan “Happy to Serve You”. We reassure our clients that our Resort stops at nothing to deliver unrivaled services to the people who matter most in your business – our guests.

We offer you our apologies if in any particular manner you felt uncomfortable due to the souvenir offer that some salesmen do when passing on the beach. We can assure you that it is not their intention to cause our dear guests any discomfort with this, but to provide them, always they are interested, with the very valued service of offering a souvenir of our country to take home.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan Dolio
#6 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!