“Better than my expectations”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Better than my expectations”
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I was nervous about staying at this resort because of the reviews on here, but we were on a budget and decided to take a chance. The resort was a lot better than I expected. The following will cover a couple of different areas.

Check-in is at 3:00. We arrived at 3:10 and our room wasn't ready. They told us to come back in 1/2 hour so we walked around the property and found everything that was on the map given to us. We went back to the front desk and was told that our room still wasn't ready. We went to the outdoor grill area and had a snack - they had hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza, chicken and fries. Nothing special but nice to have in the afternoon. They are also open late at night too. We went back to the front desk at 5:00 and our room was finally ready. We did notice a sign that said check-out is at 1:00, so I think this is why they are unable to check people in on time. They are leaving too short of a time to clean rooms.

Our room was actually ok. We were on the top floor of the building just across the parking lot for the casino. It was quiet, the elevator worked and we were close enough to everything. Our air conditioning worked great - we even got cold during the night. We only saw one tiny ant but we know to expect bugs in tropical climates. The room was a bit outdated and wasn't the cleanest in the world, but was ok enough for us. The bedspread had patches on it when it should have been replaced. We only had two very thin pillows. The bed was queen sized when we had asked for a king but i have been to other places where versions of a king sized bed is smaller than US standards - it was a thin, hard mattress but we didn't have a problrm sleeping on it. We asked for two extras pillows several times but never got them. There was a safe in the room but you had to rent a key for it at the front desk which wasn't explained at any point during check-in. It was $3.50 per day. The biggest problem was that our shower spigot fell out of the wall. To take showers, we held it up it to the wall and lifted the lever to turn it on. The water came out of the shower head then and the pressure was pretty good. NOTE: For energy saving purposes, they shut off the hot water during the day, which is when the majority of the guests are at the beach or pool or are on excursions. The hot water was turned on by the time we were ready to take showers at 6:00 or later and the water was plenty hot and didn't run out with two of us taking back to back showers. Some of the bath and beach towels were pretty worn out, but they were clean.

I am a picky eater and found the food to be acceptable. There were meat, vegetable, fruit, side, salad, soup, bread, dessert and ice cream options at the buffet. We only went to one of the specialty restaurants, the Italian one, and it was also good - nothing fancy but good.

About 3:00 every afternoon, vendors selling art, jewelry, cigars and other items set up for the day. They were not pushy but would start to talk to you if you stopped to look at their items. There were also some locals trying to sell items on the beach, but a simple shake of the head no seemed to keep most away. They also were not pushy.

The beach was beautiful. They do a good job of keeping it clean. It you walk along the beach away from the property, there is a lot of garbage. There were plenty of beach chairs but some had very stretched out fabric and were very uncomfortable. This resort also has a time share section and they get a special section of beach with different, newer beach chairs. The resort needs to think about buying more of the newer chairs for the regular guests. I never saw a staff member coming by for drink orders. Once, I went to the bar for water and was given a tiny glass, so I just bought bottles of water from their gift shop at $1 each to take to the beach with me.

The nightly entertainment was so-so. I've been to other places that put on great shows, but the shows were mediocre here. I still recommend going though, especially if you have never been to a resort like this. There is a sports bar on the property which was nice and a nightclub that was busy on the nights we went.

WARNING: There is a casino on the property that is not owned by the resort even thought it is on the property. Be very careful of being approached to try a new game that they call some kind of a variation of roulette. They give you free chips to start the game, then you play with your own money. This game involves dropping 8 balls into a wooden round thing with holes numbered 1-6. They add up the numbers and the total will correspond to numbers on a board. They miscount the numbers and jiggle the wooden thing to get the numbers they want you to get. This is a complete scam. It is similar to Razzle Dazzle - look it up online. I fell for this scam and lost a lot of money. At the mention of free chips for a new game RUN AWAY.

MANAGEMENT: I own a company that rents vacation condos and homes. My suggestions to the management: you may want to change your check-out time to 12:00 or your check-in time to 4:00. Two hours is not enought time for a turn around. There were a lot of unhappy guests waiting to get into their rooms. Have your staff explain the lock for the safe being an additional charge at check-in instead of getting an hour of calls about it later. While I was paying for mine, the gut behind the desk had six calls about locks. Invest in more beach and bath towels so that they don't run out - you should always have extras. Same with pillows - it would be a good idea to have two extra pillows in each room for those who like having extra pillows. Also, have all staff greet every guest the walk by with a simple "Hi, good day/night" in Spanish. It makes the guests feel special. None of the staff seemed very friendly unless you were dealing with them on a particular matter. Also, make wine by the glass a part of every bar and restaurant. I had to buy a bottle of wine at one point because it wasn't available by the glass - there are a lot of wine drinkers out there. A cheap red and white option would go a long way. New beach chairs would also make a great improvement.

GUESTS: This is a very affordable place to stay. Bring a swimsuit in your carry on luggage and you can relax on vthe beach until your room is ready. I felt it is was worth the money.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the propery were quiet. My 4th floor room was ok - no bugs. Some rooms are smo...
7 Thank kimmiller112

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Queens, ny
Reviewed February 24, 2012

First I want to say that I all I wanted out of this vacation was a clean room, with things that work in it, a decent resort, a beautiful beach/pool and something to do at night. Our room was booked for Sunday Feb19-Thurs Feb 23, 2012. I have to say the beach was gorgeous, and the pools were very nice. Before we even flew out to DR I called sunday morning Feb19th to confirm our reservation for that same day & to confirm that they know we will be a late check in since our flight gets in at 2am, yes no problem I was told. Fast forward to 2am we get to the resort to find out they over booked the resort and they have no rooms (this was told to us after standing at the front desk for 20mins, with the man at the front desk shaking his head saying not good but not telling us why) Then they sent us to a hotel down the street for the night and told us to come back between 8am-10am and we'll have a room. Okay thats fine we'll spend one night somewhere else. This “hotel” was horrible, it smelled musty, the room was dirty, there were no light bulbs in the lamps! I went to put the chain on the door and it was broken! Okay we said its just ONE night.

9Am we call Costa Caribe to take us back (we waited 45mins, when they are 5mins down the road) we get there at almost 10am, and they tell us there are no rooms. The girl at the desk tells us to go enjoy some breakfast and our room will be ready. We come back after breakfast, no room. 11Am no room, 12pm no room. At this point we found a spot on the beach & TRIED to relax. I go back again and was told they are waiting for the supervisor, he'll be back in 15mins... after 45mins of waiting I went back to the beach. We ate lunch and then went back again, its after 2pm at this point. The supervisor is there and he tells us will forget all about last night, he just needs to finish with the people he's helping. Finally he hears our situation, gives us a room and after we asked for compensation he offers us 1 night free or a 1hour massage. We agree to one night free, I go on to explain that I also want a late check-out on Thurs because the whole point of having a reservation for sunday was so we didn't want to wait around for a room monday morning since we knew we'd have to wait around Thurs after checkout. He said no problem, 1 night free and late check out.

We then go to our room, at first glance it seems nice, nice clean bed, bedroom floors are clean, little patio outside with partial ocean view. Then we go into the bathroom. The floor is filthy, the toilet was running water 24/7(we had to shut the bathroom door at night to sleep) and the toilet didn't flush properly, we'd have to flush 2-3times to get a lil tissue to go down and to top it off there was a hole in the bathtub. (Room S103 by the way) We agreed we'll deal with it, thankful we have a room at least. We go to bed that night, and there are mosquitoes, buzzing in our ear & biting us. After a 20min game of kill the mosquitoes(we killed 8), we go back to sleep and there are more!! They're in the bathroom & in the closet. We were getting more bites in our room than outside!! Again we decided to deal with it, I don't why..we should have complained again.

We spent as much time on the beach as possible. The beach was sooo nice and relaxing, the water was gorgeous. I've been to other parts of DR before, I know there are pedlars on the beach, but here there are swarms! Unless you're sleeping they will try to sell you anything from massages to braided hair to donkey rides. Day one & Day two it was fine, by day three it gets really annoying.
Now lets get to checkout, they honored the late check out which was perfect we had our room til 7pm, left our luggage with the bellboy and ate dinner before we went to the airport. When we checked out the lady had no idea we're suppose to get one night free. Thats something the supervisor has to approve, she says. He did a approve it on monday! She tells me today is his day off and there is nothing she can do. Lovely. Well there's nothing I could do either, we had to get to the airport for our flight.

On other things, all other staff there were very friendly... we just learned that "Uno momento" here meant waiting for 20mins or so. The restaurant food was good, especially the Dominican restaurant, the seabass was delicious ...the buffet not so much... breakfast had good omelets, there's a guy who made them fresh with your choice of cheese, tomatoes, onions, ham & green pepper. The muffins were good too. Don't even touch the deli meats, omg so bad. and the burgers, were cold and im not sure if it was real beef. The snack bar was a savior, they had fries & pizza during the day. There are bars all over during the day, the drinks are good & strong. There is a show at night, its mostly dancing and we were bored of it by the 2nd night. After the show the only things open are the Disco ( which had a max of 5 or 6 people in there) or the Casino where its a lot older people and so much smoking that i couldn't breathe. Overall just a disappointing experience, i wasn't as much angry as sad... the beach was the only thing that saved this trip!

Room Tip: Do not get room S103! broken toilet, hole in the tub & mosquitoes in the room... It seemed like...
4 Thank CfromQueens

Travelers are raving about these Juan Dolio hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We checked into a room that was clearly for smokers (we had requested non smoking), the AC did not work, the phone did not work, the toilet did not flush, the shower did not run, the door looked damaged like it had been jimmied open with a crow bar and now did not shut properly. What a disaster! They told us they would send someone up to fix it but we insisted on a new room. It took three hours for them to make that change. The new room had a bed as hard as concrete and pillows that felt like they were sand bags. We never had hot water the entire stay. The noise throughout the "renovated" building echoed like a gym.

The food was mediocre and getting silverware and napkins was always a challenge.
It was so bad it was comical. Good thing we are people who can roll with the punches. The beach and ocean was great but we will never go to the Dominican Republic again!!

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Leslie S
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is an old hotel that could use a major renovation. The rooms are shabby with the bathrooms having chipped tiles and hardly any water pressure. We had to have them send someone to fix the air conditioner three times. The food in the buffet restaurant is mediocre at best, ans was often empty and not refilled quickly. The service @ the buffet was not great either. You had to wait quite a while for a drink or coffee. The linens on the bed had obvious holes in them. While the bartenders were great, there were not enough of them which meant waiting a while to get a drink. The beach was beautiful, but the lounges and tables at the beach were filthy!

Room Tip: Choose one that overlooks the pool area. The other side overlooks a vacant? resort in disrepair.
3 Thank kathielk
Mississauga
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My girlfriend & I spent a week here from Feb 7 to 14/12. We smelled something when we entered our room so turned on the air conditioner & opened up the windows. I got better. I had a hard time sleeping with the smell on the bed - we assumed it was the water they washed the sheets in. The next day we investigated and found the air conditioner unit on the wall was rusted out at the bottom & was full of mold. We took pictures & went to the front desk. They sent a few guys up to investigate but did nothing. We stuffed the duvet from the bed & wrapped the unit in blankets and put a note on the wall to "not turn this unit on". The 2nd day I realized that is was my bed that smelled. We pulled the sheets off & found the mattress had a lot of mold on it. I cannot believe the room maids don't see this ! We pulled the mattress out of the room & put it in the hall & called again for a supervisor who came to investigate. He ordered a new/used mattress & sheets for me. Everything was fine after that. We made the best of the remainder of our vacation. I developed a rash on my upper back & when I got back to Toronto went to the doctor who said it was an allergic reaction to the mold I slept on. I have a hard time with the fact that Expedia & Nolitours recommends this place.

1 Thank wilsong
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

After reading all the negative review about the resort i wasn't to impressed with what i read, until i read a bad review on a resort in Jamaica where i stayed last year. The review for the resort i went to in Jamaica had bad review but i personally loved it soo much. So that being said i said i will make my own decision about the place. So went there with a positive attitude
I first saw the picture looked very decent. And most of the complaint was about the room. I didn't care much considering you aren't going to the resort to stay in the room. Second complaint was about the locals and vendors. I did find it very annoying that when I'm trying relax on the beach every 5 minute a vendors are coming up trying sell you something. after awhile you learn to deal with it your grab a book and ignore them or fake sleep.
We went feb 8-15, we arrived at 2:30 and the said our room wasn't ready yet. Understandable since the check in was at 3. Go back around 3:15 they said our room wasn't ready yet and to come back in half an hour by 3:45 1 out of the 4 room was ready so at this point i'm a little annoyed but try not to let it get to me. So we change in my friends room and head to the beach. I go back around 5 and my room is finally ready. Me and my husband go settle down in the room. Open the door some musky smell but didnt bother me much. Two double bed when i asked for a king whatever no biggy. I go and shower no hot water,ok already expected that i can deal with it. Go and turn on the showerhead my facet came completely off. Great cant finish my shower cuz my hair is too long and is touching the floor. I did the best that I can to wash up. Call down to guest service no one picks up. I walked down to speak to them. They barely understood me cuz they didnt speak much english. After 10 minute of them explaining to them they said that they will send someone to fix it. No one came. I had to wake up the next day at 6am just to get them to talk to me. I at first i wanted to talk to the supervisor who seems to NEVER be around. So they told me someone was coming to fix it an hour goes by i'm annoyed at this point the face that i been there for less than 24 hours and everything is going soo bad. So I stormed downstairs and you can see in my face i am pissed! So i demand that they send someone to my room and I will wait in front of guest service til i see the maintenance guy he shows up right away. So i finally got my shower fix with hot water. I can shower I'm Happy. Little red aunts everywhere but didnt bother me
Lets talk about the food. I don't know what it is but i found everything salty. First night at the resort and the buffet was gross last night there it was good so its a hit and missed. The snack bar is pretty good. The Mexican restaurant is fairly yummy we ate there 3 times out of the 7 days. Italian wasn't bad also. The Dominican restaurant was by far the worst. Service was horrible the food was soo salty cept the fried fish that my husband got. I found it soo salty that I couldn't even eat my meal (beef steak) but i did eat the veggies that came with it. The server comes and takes my plate away even after i said wasnt done yet he looks at me and takes it away.Also the fruit was NASTY not even sweet at all stuff we get back home is beter.You would think that it be a tourist spot that people would speak english NOPE.
The resort was nice site claimed it was a 4* but was a 2*. I tried to enjoy it as much as I can. Most bartenders were friendly. Found that no one makes the drink the same. the beach is amazing stayed on it most of the time. Power went out for like 5 second every two hours cuz of the rain. My ac leaked. Went shopping outside resort and it just dirty soo gross garbage everywhere. But we did find cheaper thing in the market that they were selling for triple the price on the beach.
Question doesn't most people to come on vacation to relax and have fun? I found most of the tourist people very rude. Didn't like that very much. One couple demanded my husband to move to another seat that had no umbrella because they wanted to sit under the umbrella when it was raining. Not the resort fault for that just a warning to people to watch out for the rude people. I said it before and i say it again only a handful speaks english.
Went on the catamaran which was fun and opt to get the video since my camera died worst video ever. It was soo choppy. So after being on the catamaran for 1 hour and 30 minute we get to this island very nice but full of wasp not enjoyable. After being there for what felt like 2 hours we got on a speed boat to go to a natural pool where we can see starfish. Water is amazing but we only stayed there for like 20 minute. Took a speed boat back which only took like 20 minute to get back. Overall this excursion was not worth 74 bucks considering you took a cool boat to another beach but thats my own opinion.
Overall the resort isnt as bad as the review said it was but theres soo much better out there.This resort more for those who doesnt care where they go as long as theres a nice beach and 24 hour alcohol. Local do come in on the weekend vendors do annoy you. But what i really liked about the resort is the beach. Will i come back Definitely NO!! i'm still debating on if I scratching out this resort or dominican all together just cuz of this one bad experience

5 Thank cheekz b
Wetmore, Michigan
Reviewed February 20, 2012

After reading all the horrible reviews we were definitely wondering what we had gotten into. We are a party of 4 and here are the pros and cons in my opinion:

Cons:
1. After being up for 24 hours plus with driving to the airport and waiting there and finally the flight we were very tired and ready to check into our room only to be told that they never got our reservation and the hotel was full. Everyone was very helpful though and said it never happens with Cheap Caribbean (but darn it, it did happen to us!) After about an hour of talking to the manager and Cheap Caribbean they did put us up in a room in the older section of the hotel that was not used much, not the recently renovated section.
2. The rooms do have issues. We talked to 3 or 4 other people in the newer section and they complained of toilets not working all the time, no water pressure all the time, mold, bugs, etc. Our room was very dated but everything in our room worked. The floor was dirty (our feet got black) but after asking to have it mopped, they did. We are campers and can deal with things like this and were hardly ever in our rooms anyway. There are very nice bathrooms and showers down by the pool you can use if you run into problems.

Pros:
1. The public areas, restaurants, bars, pools, and beach are wonderful. We enjoyed them all and found the food to be great. If you can't find something to eat between Italian, Dominican, Tex Mex, and the buffet line (which had vegetables, fruits, meats, cheeses, pasta, and ethnic dishes) you must be a very picky eater and I can't imagine you being satisfied anywhere. When you cook for the masses it's hard to maintain a degree of quality but I think they did a great job!
2. Drinks: They had a menu with the usual drinks they would make but would do others on request. They were very flavorful if not the strongest but we weren't trying to get blitzed every day, just enjoy the drinks. Ask for a Cuba Libre strong if you want a bigger buzz.
3. The people: Wonderful! Everyone seemed to have a smile and would go out of their way for you. If you greet someone first before giving your order it makes a world of difference. The serving staff are real people with feelings and it made me cringe when someone would treat them just as hired help or be rude.

This hotel seemed to cater to Canadians and Germans mostly and I found it very nice not to hear complaining Americans all the time (sorry, I'm from Michigan and yes, it was Americans who complained the most). This is a Dominican type of hotel and if you want fancy you should stay in Punta Cana or Miami Beach. Seriously. You get what you pay for. We got an exceptional deal for 10 days all inclusive out of Chicago and I don't have the right to complain about anything.

For those who complained about bugs, they are out there in the world and it's hard to keep them out. I've had cockroaches in good hotels in Florida.

The vendors on the beach would leave if you told them politely No Gracias, and we did enjoy conversations with them. There weren't nearly as many vendors as I was led to believe from the reviews.

In conclusion, this hotel is for people who can deal with minor inconveniences without complaining about every little thing in exchange for a glorious beach, beautiful grounds, plenty of food and drink at a great price. I think we got far more than what we paid for.

5 Thank yooperislandgirl
Xeliter Marbella Juan Dolio
#5 of 12 in Juan Dolio
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!