“Diamond In The Rough”

Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Juan Dolio
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I had read alot of reviews before my boyfriend and I took our 4 day trip the the C.C.C.You are getting what you pay for--it is not a 5 star or even a 3 star resort but a 2 star.The best this resort has going for it IS THE BEACH!!! Best around-beautiful and blue warm water.The grounds are also nice and beautiful-it has great potential to be a excellant resort but it really needs some major upkeep/renovations.The food was really not that great -just ok-and not much to choose from-very limited-not all the restaurants were not open every night--tho it is the slow season.Now as for the drinks--not the best either-unless you like really sweet fruity drinks--local liquor not that great-so we drank beer most the time--it was good and cold-Cesar the bartender at the pool was great.Locals try to sell you their things alot on the beach-ignore them and just say no gracious!!! Tho we did enjoy our short trip-I would not go back there.

Room Tip: Rooms along the courtyard are very noisy-sliding doors did not work well in our room-1231--tho we we...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank NANCY S
Write a ReviewReviews (2,211)

Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at coral costa caribe, because it was to the Capital of Santo Domingo and to my husbands family. ti's an old hotel,we had to switch rooms, because it rained and our room was flooded our cloth got wet it was a mess they tried to give us a hard time they didnt want to change our rooms,but I wasent having any of that, the olny decent thing about the hotle was the beach,let me think back and see if I can rember anything eles good about the hotel......NO NOTHING IT WAS TERRBLE!!!!!!.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 53DEDE
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I do not know what those who are leaving such neagtive comments about this hotel were expecting! The hotel is what it is, a cheap get away. We experienced no problems with hot water and no nasty fly attention at all.

If you go expecting the Ritz yes you will be disappointed but I doubt your bank account will be! Very pleasant staff who could not do enough to help and a very nice selection of food and activities if that is your interest.

Sellers on the beach are a pain but can be talked away and bargained with very easily if that is your interest, that is the only real negative point myself and my boyfriend had with the place. I would suggest Coral Costa Caribe Resort to young couples or groups who are out to have a good time and do not wish to spend too much time in the rooms; they are acceptable but nothing special and I can see no reason why there would be a need to be in them at all but to sleep as there's plenty going on everywhere.

In conclusion if you are happy-go-lucky and want a nice cheap holiday away in a decent location where you can meet like minded people then its spot on however if you wish to spend a lot of time in your room or are used to 5* US/British accomodation you may wish to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The main building is supposed to be the best area in which to have a room however the outer blocks a...
4  Thank Helena C
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I have now stayed at Coral Costa Caribe twice and we enjoyed it both times. Second time we landed in Punta Cana. I recommend that you land in Santi domingo or La Romana. Staff was very nice. Our second time we stayed on the first floor and even though it rained a couple of times, there is no drainage on the balconies so the water came in our room. The maid and I gladly cleaned it up. Best bar tender was Beltran. He is either working in the dance bar or the pool bar. Very clean resort. Yes you do have people trying to sell you items on the beach but just say no thank you and they will leave you alone. They might show up again the next day, but again just say no thank you. Food is good. The buffet is made with a lot of sauces, but you have to try it, it is very good. Enjoy the coconut cake it is delicious. Also there is a pasta stand that also have some sort of meat being served beside it as well. If you wish for meat sauce then ask for it and they will probably have it the next day. The guys at the pasta stand like to joke around. Have a great trip and I will be going back again. You also must go on an excursion to Saona Island and also go on an excursion to Santo domingo for the caves, it is just beautiful.

Room Tip: For quietness stay in the S building, which is next to the buffet building.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pjannand
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I cannot help but laugh at all the 'bad' reviews written about this hotel... what on EARTH are you all talking about?!

My advise is to give the hotel a whirl because I think you will be pleasantly surprised... I definitely was. I have traveled all over the world and this is no where near as down market as people are making out!

The hotel IS clean for starters and our room was cleaned everyday with both fresh towels and bottled water being provided.

The room was more than adequate for what we paid - beds a little hard and the plumbing wasn't fantastic but hey, i've seen worse in England and it by no means caused us any trouble.

Secondly, the food is not horrible at all!! I thoroughly enjoyed it and neither me nor my boyfriend suffered any stomach troubles during our two week stay.
(Admittedly the snack bar food looked RANK and we didn't fancy trying it, however, if you stick to the buffet and other restaurants, you can't go wrong,)

There are some flies around the buffet which can be a pain however this is due to the fact this restaurant is very open plan and situated outside. The food is mostly covered and the staff do their best to keep the flies away. After all, there is only so much they can do to prevent this without having someone to waft the flies away 24/7!

The indoor restaurants are also excellent, our favorite being the Mexican - we were always seated straight away and the staff were lovely and very friendly!

The beach is very well kept and cleaned everyday - never had to fight for a sun lounger!

Entertainment at night wasn't our cup of tea as we preferred to chill on the beach watching the stars with a few drinks however those who did watch it seemed to be having a good time.

Overall, I would love to stay here again!! There was a great atmosphere in the hotel, the beach was lovely, the food and drink (definitely not watered down!!!!!) were in abundance and I had a fabulous 2 weeks with my boyfriend.

Not much to do for small kids though - I'd say it was more of a chilled out adults holiday.

If you want grandeur, go elsewhere!

But....

DO NOT AVOID THIS HOTEL BASED ON THE MISLEADING BAD REVIEWS... IT'S GREAT!!

8  Thank h0lidays20
Reviewed September 13, 2011

It sad to say that this resort used to be nice, clean, beautiful, good food, good drinks, but not anymore. The actual Hotel is abandoned, dirty from the hallways to the elevators or should I say the elevator because only one was working. The walls are dirty, the ashtrays are filled with cigarrettes at all times. The food is horrible. The room that me and my husband got was okay, clean and well serve by housekeeping, the customer service was okay. We got a room for my step-daughter and her 2 children and boyfriend and the night they spent there was no water, at all. I went to the Italian restaurant and left after 15 minutes of waiting because no one acknowleged me there. Hopefully it will find some invester that would like to invest and capture the magic. It looks like whoever run the resort don't really care for it.

Room Tip: None of there rooms are worth staying. So sad as I typed on my review. This resort 4 years ago was v...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Miguelina G
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Returned from Costa Caribe today and cant believe all the bad reviews.

The truth is, the resort is exactly what you pay for. I have been as honest as I can with my review so you know what you are in for when booking the holiday. I am 22 and my bf 23 and we wanted a two week holiday to just chill out and relax, and that is exactly what we got.

Hotel room: We had room S323 which had the most amazing sea view. The bed was huge. The pillows were decent. Air con worked fine. Hot water for the full two weeks without fail. Room was always cleaned to a high standard. There were a few ants in the bathroom, but nothing to moan about.

Beach: AMAZING. Always enough sun beds and enough palm trees to get some shade. A nice old man helps you with your bed if needed, and constantly clears up the beach. We had arrived inbetween two hurricanes so the sea was quite choppy at times, but they had workers constantly making the beach look stunning. There are alot of local looky looky workers, but their harmless. You just need to say no, and they get the point.

Food: Really really good. There are four restaurants, a Mexican, Italian, Dominican and the buffet, all open for dinner with no reservatoin and no limit on how many times you go during your stay. The buffet it for breakfast and lunch. Food was always of great standard. A big variety, and always fresh.

Alcohol/drinks: Someone said in their review that the drinks were watered down, and during our stay, I didnt witness this once. If anything we had to ask for the drinks to be a little less strong. There were loads of cocktails to chose from, which you can have with or without alcohol. The barman will always make sure you have a drink whether it be a coke, sprite, water or a beer, there always happy to serve you.

Spa: It was great. We had a massage for sun burnt skin for an hour, and the service was really good. The massage was lovely. The spa ladies were all very nice and polite, and the spa itself was small but nice and relaxing.

Casino: We had some great nights here. You have to pay to play but on Friday and Saturday nights they have free black jack tournaments and slot machine tournaments where you can win a little bit of money. Was a good atmosphere, the workers were nice, and the drinks were included in the all inclusive so it was great.

Workers: They were all polite, helpful, willing to make your holiday what you wanted. We tipped some workers, but you honestly dont have to tip to get good service. They just are so good that you end up wanting to tip them all.

Entertainment/nightlife: The "Chocolate friends" (entertainters/dancers) were EXCELLENT! They held a show everynight, which varied from show girl dancing to comedy acts. Most nights they had you in stitches. Great bunch of people. After the show they open the discoteque.....not so good. You have to be steaming to enjoy it as it doesnt get that busy, but the pool bar just infront of the club was good with free pool and table football.

The bad parts: The swimming pool seemed to be a little dirty at times. Nothing really disgusting, as we still went in it, but it was a tad grubby at time. And the other bad thing was the weekend locals. One weekend was fine, it wasnt too busy, but the second weekend, on the Saturday, it was heaving with locals using the pool area. They are quite rude when it comes to waiting for a drink at the bar or something, they wont hesitate to jump infront. But this was for 1 day out of 14, so it wasnt to bad.

Honestly I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who wanted a two week break to chill and relax, with the attitude of making the best of any situation. If you have any problems at the hotel, just ask to speak to a manager and they are more then happy to put things right or make you happy.

I hope this review helps :-)

Hayley & Stephen

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, and if your not happy, then ask for another room as they are always happy to hel...
6  Thank Hayley2011
Be Live Experience Hamaca Garden
Emotions by Hodelpa
Emotions by Hodelpa
#1 of 12 in Juan Dolio

Been to Coral Costa Caribe Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!