“Home away from Home”
Review of Hooked Cabarete

Hooked Cabarete
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I must say Walter and Jeanette made every effort to make sure we and the other guests were taken care of. From the local dish we had for dinner the first night, I believe called Sancocho to reimbursing us for a taxi fare which I did not mind paying but Walter felt inclined to cover.
We visited DR with surfing in mind and from what I could see Hooked was the closest to the surf spots of all the others. Hooked is located in the middle of what is considered an upscale area of Encuentro. The walk to the beach is about a half mile down a gravel road. It was a nice walk every morning with the cows and horses in the fields. The surf while not being the best I have had was still great. We had 3 days of at least 3-4ft surf. There is a perfect left point at the end of the road and several reefs in front of the surfboard rental spots. I rented a board and there is a pretty good range of boards from short to long. It is a rock bottom with some sea urchins. One thing to note is the wind usually comes up at about 11am and creates quite a bit of chop. That is when it is best for the kite and windsurfing. The water and air were about 85 our entire trip.
Best bet to rent a car because any nightlife is either in Sosua or Cabarete. We felt Cabarete was the better of the 2 however the beach at Sosua if fabulous.
We met people from Germany, Holland and Russia which was surprising to me since we are from the US and it is much closer. But meeting all these different nationalities and spending time talking with them was very enlightening. One day Walter had a local fisherman bring by his catch for the day which included Octopus, Lobster and King fish. We chose the King fish and had BBQ with Walter Jeanette and Tino. Nothing better than fresh caught fish!!.
Each room is equipped with a full kitchen so you can go to the local market which had almost anything which was great.
I suggest when eating out having the Conch or as they say in DR Lambi. It is my personal fav and I had it at least once a day.
Hooked does offer Yoga and massages but we did not do any as we chose to travel around and see the country. If we were spending more time there I am sure we would have taken them up on that.
We highly recommend Hooked when traveling to DR. It was great adventure!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our rental car got a flat and he took care of us. Gerd, the manager got someone to remove the tire and personally brought it to get it repaired. The car repair place knew him and just did the work immediately withouth any hassle or over payment. I don't speak Spanish and so this was definitely a plus! He dropped me and my girlfriend at breakfast/the beach. We came back to a car with a fixed wheel. We had one full day to enjoy ourselves in this part of the DR and we would have spent it getting the tire fixed if it weren't for Gerd. He was great otherwise as well. He helped with our bags and made sure everything was in place. He helped with directions as we left. We'll go back to this place because of Gerd (and his dog, Amber). I just want to thank this establishment for such a great experience when it could have been pretty crappy otherwise.

Room Tip: the apartments are equally nice from the looks of it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is just awesome! Owners are really great, appartments are clean and very comfortable, people are nice, prices are great! I can just recommand this place!!
The pool is right in front of the rooms, the beach is really close, maybe 10 minutes away if you walk slowly. The surf school is cheap and helpful, even if you can't surf.
You have a place to barbecue if you want to get in touch with other people or just chill in your hammock and have your own space.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had an awesome time with my friends staying at Hooked.

Walter and Jeanette are fantastic hosts and the location is just super.

I came to surf with my friends and unfortunately the waves where not that good but we still had a great time and met a lot of other lovely guests staying at Hooked.

I can only recommend you stay here if you come to Cabarete

Location is great (very close to beach), rooms are well maintained and have everything you need andSecurity is great

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We live in Santo Domingo and traveled to Cabarete for Holy week long week end. We found Hooked at the last minute by internet. It turned out to be the best choice we could ever make! The weather was really bad which could have ruined our week end but it didn't matter at all thanks to the great experience we had in this hotel, hanging with other guests from all over the world and with our hosts Walter and Jeanette. We spent our stay around the swimming pool in the lovely garden, enjoying yoga classes and partying in Cabarete, the perfect mix for a great time for me and my boyfriend and we had tons of fun. To say a word about accommodations, they were big and we enjoyed the hot water any time of the day, not really easy to find in DR. Every room has a terrace and a kitchen and a hammock. So if you're not really the sport type, you can just go for hammocking! I loved it and would definitely come back!!! Thank you Walter and Jeanette!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been here for 2 times (alone and with my Exboyfriend) and I just can say. ITS AN AMAZING PLACE. The owners Walter and Jeanette make u feel like home and have a sympathic ear for every matter. When the weather or the swells are not good you have also the opportunity to do a WELLNESS PROGRAM (Massages, Yoga Lessons, Detox etc), can read or listen to music at the Chill Lounge or u can get some Spanish Lessons. There are a lot of People who TRAVEL ALONE, the place is quite small so you get to knew each other fastly...also its so quiete and relaxed here that u can find a rest everytime..the nice BBQ Area at the Pool invites you to be and cook together.I will come here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank GoldenLionLove
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just echoing what others have said. We traveled pretty extensively in the Dominican Republic and the hospitality at Hooked was beyond an thing else we experienced. You immediately feel like family, they introduce you to the other guests and even find you if anyone is going to the supermarket. The grounds are immaculate, the lodging is bright and airy,and the beach is a pleasant quarter mile (or less) walk.

We were here as a small family, and it is great forthat-.even a good assortment of games. But there were all sorts there--all very friendly. If I could give it six stars I would

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family