“So welcoming and friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hooked Cabarete

Hooked Cabarete
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic
“So welcoming and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We live in Santo Domingo and traveled to Cabarete for Holy week long week end. We found Hooked at the last minute by internet. It turned out to be the best choice we could ever make! The weather was really bad which could have ruined our week end but it didn't matter at all thanks to the great experience we had in this hotel, hanging with other guests from all over the world and with our hosts Walter and Jeanette. We spent our stay around the swimming pool in the lovely garden, enjoying yoga classes and partying in Cabarete, the perfect mix for a great time for me and my boyfriend and we had tons of fun. To say a word about accommodations, they were big and we enjoyed the hot water any time of the day, not really easy to find in DR. Every room has a terrace and a kitchen and a hammock. So if you're not really the sport type, you can just go for hammocking! I loved it and would definitely come back!!! Thank you Walter and Jeanette!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have been here for 2 times (alone and with my Exboyfriend) and I just can say. ITS AN AMAZING PLACE. The owners Walter and Jeanette make u feel like home and have a sympathic ear for every matter. When the weather or the swells are not good you have also the opportunity to do a WELLNESS PROGRAM (Massages, Yoga Lessons, Detox etc), can read or listen to music at the Chill Lounge or u can get some Spanish Lessons. There are a lot of People who TRAVEL ALONE, the place is quite small so you get to knew each other fastly...also its so quiete and relaxed here that u can find a rest everytime..the nice BBQ Area at the Pool invites you to be and cook together.I will come here again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank GoldenLionLove
Flagstaff, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just echoing what others have said. We traveled pretty extensively in the Dominican Republic and the hospitality at Hooked was beyond an thing else we experienced. You immediately feel like family, they introduce you to the other guests and even find you if anyone is going to the supermarket. The grounds are immaculate, the lodging is bright and airy,and the beach is a pleasant quarter mile (or less) walk.

We were here as a small family, and it is great forthat-.even a good assortment of games. But there were all sorts there--all very friendly. If I could give it six stars I would

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Köln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I just loved my three weeks-stay at hooked in feburary 2013! Everything was perfect: accommodation, service, help and the other guests.
Jeanette and Walter, the new owners, make this place feel as comfortable as home and take amazing care of their guests, no matter what you want or need (for example a little milk for your coffee or a ride to the supermarket). They also offer a lot of tips for things you want to do: find a nice restaurant, a spanish course, surf lessons or a board rental, trip to the waterfalls, ... Hooked offers basically everything you might need for an amazing stay: you can rent a scooter, do yoga, book surf lessons with their partner house of waves (great thanks to Jesmarin!) or go on trips with mat or helmut. I for my part especially loved the getting in touch with the local people working there, even if it was just to say a few words of thanks in spanish or listening to bachata.
Although my sister and I had quite different interests (she is more of an active and party girl whereas I enjoy a secluded time on my holidays) both of us were able to spend our time at hooked just the way we wanted. The apartments and the terasses give you privacy and space to read or write, you can relax in the sun or the shades of the coconut palm trees at the pool or talk to all the amazing people who come to hooked.
I had it all - "me-time" with my books, hanging at the pool, surfing at the famous encuentro-beach, having barbecue with a bunch of the most interesting people and making new friends, going out to party and dancing in cabarete. The only downside is the wanting to go back there immediately :)
Thank you again, Jeanette and Walter!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lawrence, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed for 5 days and 4 nights at the "Hooked Cabarete" in Playa Encuentro near Sosua.
To a local surf hotspot, I was guided by fate and a small, cozy mom and pop environment.
It is not a hotel or can not be labelled, but enough to say the owners Walter and Janette are wonderful hosts and very generous with their amenities.
I can not wait to return.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be similar, I do not know for sure.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

This was our second time at Hooked. While we loved the place the first time, new owners Walter and Jeanette have really made some nice new additions and upgrades, while not losing any of it's charm. Great place for surfers, sun seekers and adventure travellers.

Scooter rental is available through hooked, though next time we're renting a car, the scooters aren't something for serious island exploring on - though perfect for quick trips into Cabarete and Sousua.

Their surf school partner House of Waves are top notch too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Spent January 29th - Frbruary 5th 2013 at Hooked and had a wonderful experience. Was surprised to find new owners of only four minths of the facility after booking this place based on great reviews from the past, but the new owners are eager to at least live up to the reputation, if not surpass it. I travelled there alone, and found as much solitude or social interaction as I wanted. The owners Walter and Jeanette have, in a short time, established a relationship with many of the local business owners, including taxis, restaurants, and surf schools to make your stay here as effortless as an all inclusive. The location is almost perfect. It is a close four-minute walk to the Encuentro Beech, where the surfing is great. The grounds are also only a short 8 minute scooter ride form the core of the Cabarete. Which means a quiet place to relax, as well a great place nearby to shop, people watch, dine, or party. I am planning to go back next year for more of the same.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo