“Perfect for young people!”
Review of Cabarete Surfcamp

Cabarete Surfcamp
Ranked #6 of 30 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Cabarete Surfcamp is perfect for young people, who wants to meet people in the same age, especially when you travel alone. You can do a lot of watersport from there and it's only 5-10 min to walk to Cabarete and the beach. September is not the best time to travel to Cabarete, because there are less people and the wind for kiteboarding is weak. But nevertheless it was fun!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Evaluna1509

Reviewed April 24, 2009

I badly needed a vacation when i decided to go to the DR and stumble upon Ali's Surf Camp, aka Cabarete Surfcamp. What a great place! The people I met are openly friendly and adventurous. I was traveling with friends but I also know there were couples on romantic getaways staying there. I learned to surf, had a comfortable place to sleep and ate exceptionally well. There is a supermarket nearby so anything they aren't providing is readily available. It is not a sparkling new hotel but that is not what I wanted or where I would have felt comfortable. The main staff is a little gruff but not unhelpful and they are friendlier than they seem at first. Dinner is good and there are option available to those with dietary restrictions (vegetarians) if you speak up. Almost everything in Cabarete is within walking distance but transportation is available. I would recommend Cabarete and the Surfcamp to anyone not looking to stay in an overpriced luxury hotel. I can't wait to go back. Definitely bring bug spray and check out www.debbiesdominicantravel.com if you don't know what else to pack.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2009

One time in my live I wanted try to surfing!! This is the place to learn!!! I really have fun!
I travelled alone, but at the SurfCamp, I meet a lot of cool persons.A past little bit more than 2 weeks, and I really enjoy my trip there!
The surf instrutors are very cool and patient!! No pressure, because each person is a different level.
The personals at the SurfCamp are very attentive of what we need,and are very sympatic. The food it's good and the rooms are cleans and greats.
There's possibility to bring your laptop, because they have the WIFI connexion.
And they are located very close of all the attractions....restos, supermarket,landry, disco, beach, shopping, bank......
I recommand the SurfCamp for live a nice surf adventure!!!
Annie-> Canada/Québec

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Constantine09
Reviewed June 8, 2008

I spent 19 days at the camp and meeting so many different people made the trip, def the best place if you are on your own or like to meet loads of others It has a rep for this and deserves it. It's all down to the long dinner tables, you sit at the first long table u meet. Around 730/8 pm people start arriving for dinner...

TAXI FROM AIRPORT

I just got a cab from the airport 30$ and 30mins later you are there! On your own and want to share a cab? Best place I realised afterwards is at the airport departure gate while waiting for the flight...approach any young/ surfer looking people or any young backpacking type couples, you are nearly gauranteed that they are heading for cabarete. No harm in asking 'are u going to cabarete?' or just as you are leaving airport door wait around there at taxi area and some gringo will probably approach you. I sorted my lift at baggage area and was approached outside from people on my flight.

ACCOMMODATION

Get a cabin/hut with toilet and your are sorted. I'm a really lazy person and wondered if the camp was too far from beach but its in a great location. Kite beach is a good distance from down town, but theres no problem getting a motor bike taxi, they will wreck your head for the entire time u are there...its 40 pesos to kite beach so dont pay any more.

FOOD

I was on a tight budget and found that most days all I need was the breakfast to keep me going all day until the dinner that night, sometimes I'd have a pizza slice and coke for 75 pesos at the irish bar.

The dinners are always excellent! u really can't beat the inclusive price as its expensive enough to get any half decent meal in cab and the pan cakes with bananas for breakfast...

KITESURFING LESSONS WITH AMAZING IKA

I was looking for the best deal possible as I wanted to spend any money I had left over on a kite, however I should say that quality was really important. I'd been living in a ski resort and know the crap teachers you can end up with and after 19days I'd met alot of people with bad teachers in caberete...a teacher should always be a 100% in control of the kite, if he isn't then he's new and isn't an instructor at all...ask to see his licence! and use your gut feeling! its your money and u should get quality

DON'T PAY BEFORE U ARRIVE, DON'T BUY A FULL TWO WEEK COURSE!ITS WIND DEPENDENT, SO NO WIND NO KITING BUT U STILL PAY!! there's so many kite schools, so wait until u get there

Someone recommended IKA and during my time I sent a load of people his way as he's an excellent teacher and one of the cheapest as he's independent. You can find him on the beach on the way to kite beach..start walking towards kite beach he's on bozo beach..just call or skype him its easier! but if you walk past the half built hotel you have gone too far! he normally meets outside the building nextstore, and his place is the entrance next to that complex.

More about Ika, firstly ask to know what his real name is! you really can't trust him until he tells u his real name...he's really patient and excellent at explaining everything. Doesn't drink or smoke, he's a spiritual chap, the karma sort..so u don't have to worry about him turning up drunk or hung over, a common complaint from other people learning in cabarete!

kiting definitely clicks after a few days, but you will be [--] yourself at the start! However sooner or later you'll know exactly how to react to the kite in the wind, waves etc.

CONTACT IKA!!

I really loved IKA as an instructor so I told him I'd do this as a token of my appreciation and he's not a bad person for a eastern european with his eyes on joining the EU!!

best place to find him is on skype...search guru ika ...or guruika@hotmail.com and his cell is 8096574295....he's pure quality as he's actually the quality control officer for the IKA international Kiting Association and his name. fancy that

BOZO BEACH V KITE BEACH

I was so glad to be on bozo beach, kite beach is jam packed and it was still low season. People seem to spend all there time avoiding each other plus most people using bozo are good kiters. So its all about BOZO beach. The only down side is the beach break and waves are bigger there. but u just time it and brace yourself against the wave, once again u become an expert at this too, its a small price to pay for a quiet time while trying to master the art!!

SUPERVISION

I paid a local kid that hangs out on the beach 15$ a day to hang around in case I needed help. He was great, there's a few kids doing this. they'll do it for 10$ if you are tight on cash or just help u launch and land at the end of the day. My kid was great he helped me set up, launch and walked down the beach while I was in the water...This is the important part having him shadow you, as the kite will end up in the shore break so he's there to drag it out and relaunch it, not to mention carry your board back up the beach while u manage the kite...its a very tight/narrow beach..you see what I mean. So hire a local kid and support the locals!

P.S make sure u check your own lines as he done mine wrong once but there's so many different types of kites and different systems so he can't know them all!

NO WIND!!

21 WATERFALLS

really enjoyed the falls, def worth doing, get lots of girls to go as all there screaming makes it more fun! plus only buy one DVD and copy onto laptops

its a con to take an organised tour, so get a load of people and either rent a car or get a taxi as they do trips there..it will save u a fortune as the organised trips are 80$ each..

a taxi is about 100$ for the day...so four people and its 15$ ish bucks into the park with guide included..hence u have lots of money to tip the excellent guides plus u can get food there
cheap

WAKE BOARDING

once again get lots of people, if there's no wind it will book up fast. we ended up going on my motor cycle as they said they were full but ended up having room for two when we got there. Rent a motor bike there are class fun. its 30$ for 20 mins and its def long enough, the more people go the more u get to relax on the boat, its a beautiful river!

SURFING

Too early! 6am starts so I didn't bother but everyone says u really need to make the effort and do the 6am session instead of the 8;30 bus.

Hope I've been a help and sorry about all the rambling but I am Irish!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Snow-glorious-Snow
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I loved my stay at the Surfcamp. It is friendly, homey, and great for a lone traveler. I think it is the only place in Cabarete that actually puts an extra effort in accommodating lone travelers. If you take the half-pension (breakfast and dinner included) you will immediately meet other lone travelers. The restaurant has long tables with benches where you all sit, and at once you are amongst a group of other mind-like people.

The accommodations: The Surfcamp is really 2 very different accommodations in one. On one side you have the huts that are cute and cutely but only a step up from camping in a tent. On the other side, you get nicely decorated studios and apartments. After a day in a hut, I upgraded to a studio which did cost more but I was totally happy there.

Although this place is not for everyone, I highly recommend it, especially for lone travelers.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 11, 2008

I stayed at Ali's Surf Camp for 6 weeks during a volunteer placement in Cabarete last summer, and loved it. The room I was in was very basic, but it had a large fan (on constantly) and mosquito net supplied. If you pay more though, the better rooms are well worth it, with showers and some with cooking facilities.

The best thing about the camp is the people though - I travelled on my own, and the first night joined the 'communal table', where the people travelling alone or in small groups tend to sit. This way, you get to know the vast majority of the other guests there, inheriting a instant group of friends from the people who've stayed there before.

Staying there for so long meant that, after a while, when new people arrive, you can then tell them about the best places to go, nights out (if it's Monday then you HAVE to go to Voyvoy on the beach and listen to the awful but brave karaoke) etc, and discuss the surf or wind if you're kiting.

As an animal lover, away from home and missing my pets, another plus point to Ali's are the camp dogs, 2 gorgeous boxers who'll demand rubs off you, cover you in fur and lounge by the pool :) Plus there's a deep little stream running through camp with loads of fish in it.

The camp is well situated in Cabarete, off the highstreet and tucked away. The food was lovely, (specially the churraso and spare ribs and pretty much anything they put on the flame grill). There is wireless broadband in most areas of the camp too, which is useful.

When I go back to the DR, I'm definately staying at Ali's again. It might not be the poshest place to stay in town, but the people and welcome you get there makes it so worth it. Ali's rules.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Very no frills. Think that commercial with the netting on the bed and that big roach. HOWEVER--------------

Ok think Gilligans Island and you got it. This is a fun place to stay but it is only one step from camping on the beach, thus it's name. So be forewarned. No Tv, no air conditioner, bugs,( located on a swamp) no clock, Do not take kids here or if you want to be pampered. A very uncomfortable bed and a scary bathroom that you would get at a public beach. However, with that said--stay here anyway if you want a trip of a lifetime!

Despite all that this is a fun place to stay. Everyone gathers for dinner at picnic tables to talk about their day.This place is a place for wandering souls who go here and hang out for months on end to be beach bums and windsurfing/surfing dudes and dudettes.The beach is world renowned for windsurfing and attracts people from all over the world. The scenery is outstanding and the exchange rate is crazy. It is so cheap here so shop, shop, shop, and then shop some more and I mean a lot. I regret not getting more Carribean art and jewerly to take back home.

Many eclectic people from all over the world at this camp. The people we met were fasciinating.Since Americans are spoiled in this regard most of the poeple who stayed here were Europeans and told me this place was very nice. Americans will think it is very lacking. But hey it only cost us 17 dollars a night( I know. Can you believe that?) and it included three meals a day. ( Now you can't complain about that and the food was wonderful!)

The scenery is wonderful. The Dominican is wonderful. The staff here are wonderful. i was spoiled to no end wherever i went. Since it is a poor country I tipped well, so got treated like a queen.I tipped the cook/maid ten dollars ( which is what i would do anyway) and that was probably a weeks wages for her. Her reaction made my year and brought tears to both out eyes! The staff work hard here and do several jobs. They work all day and are very pleasant about it.Great service for such a no frills place.

This place will not be for everyone. If you are adventerous, single, or a daredevil couple and a beach bum at heart- go for it and you will love the people and price.You can say it was certainly an adventure! For those who are not so campy-lol, there are nicer places on the beach.Our friends stayed at several and the most expensive was $139 a night and that was a two level villa. ( El Magnifico is one of the nicer places on the beach) either way a trip to Cabarete is a must in your lifetime! Take several trips there. The airfare is costly but the stay there will be dead cheap. The restaurants on the beach are wonderful. Visit the italian restaurant and tell the owner I said hi. (She is from Sicily) the Irish pub is good too.

FYI- this place is not on the beach. It is a good walk.Not to far but far enough if you want to be very close to the beach.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled as a couple