“I taught I knew what to expect, since 20 years ago in Soshua & eagerly waited for my 3 weeks !”
Review of Cabarete Surfcamp

Cabarete Surfcamp
Ranked #5 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
Helsinki
Reviewed February 19, 2013

What the Paradise, I was suprised to find Ali's Surfcamp beyond imagination, with it's homely & natural atmosphere ! The staff is the HALO above the Grown of Glory ! Most heartfelt thanks for
everything ! The Kitchen - out of this world, what did I say - Paradise for singles, Heaven for happily married couples ( : ! Thanks again !

Sampo, Mantic Mandala in fb

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Mantic M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great atmosphere if the owners are absent! Amazing instructors! Beautiful location!

We got into Cabarete late morning and inquired about the details of a surf lesson, if not today, tomorrow. The woman (can't recall her name) working in the restaurant said it'd be no problem, and called Antonio to come pick us up. As Antonio was on his way to pick us up we asked her what was apparently a dumb beginner question. She responded that since "you don't know the difference that the answer doesn't matter". Although probably true, there's a more friendly way she could've said it. We offered to pay for the ride, and surf lesson, but she suggested we pay Antonio. We gave her distance, and waited for Antonio. When he arrived, he was openly upset with giving us a ride to Playa Encuentro like the woman indicated was no problem when she called him. He said "we should've been there early morning like everyone else". We said that was no problem and offered to come back tomorrow to take the bus, but he declined. It was an awkward ride to Encuentro to put it mildly.
We had a wonderful time surfing. After we were done we walked out to the highway and caught a gua-gua back to Cabarete, which was no problem.

My summary is disappointment. As amazing as everything else is, the terrible attitude of the owners really messed it up for me. Although, we didn't set off to ask for anything out of the ordinary that's apparently how it turned out. I would advise not asking for anything extra (even if you are paying for it) by blending in with the rest of the crowd that are posting positive TA reviews. If I were to do this again, which I would, I would make my own way to Encuentro, deal with the instructors directly, and avoid the surly attitude of the owners.
Maybe the owners are burned out, but I have also worked in tourism for 14 years. I'm confused how anyone living in such a paradise could be so angry.
Good luck, Mick

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank mickeykreg
Miami
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Surrounded with nature, built to fit, with great stuff, good food, what else do you need? It is a bit away from the beach, but that is ok for me. I liked their dinners for all, but breakfast is nothing to be seen.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lot of people from all around the world. Had one of the best times in my life there.
If you mess up with the price you pay it is a very good choice to go there. People in the camp are awesome! Atmosphere in the camp is amazing! Guides working with the camp are really super teachers and good guys.
It's not located at the beach but quite close and also close to the best parties on the island. But still so far away that you can't hear at night the parties from the beach.
Rooms are really nice. Could be better but for that price?! Very good!!!
Concerning the price food is also really good and tasty and people working in the restaurant are really nice. Sometimes you have to wait a little bit long, but thats good to know more about the other guys in the camp.
So you wanna go to a beautiful place to meet supercool people and have best conditions for kiting or surfing? Then go there, you won't regret!
Best regards... Andi (Austria)

Room Tip: Rooms with sharing shower & sharing toilette are quite small, better choose a bigger one for a v...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Ali's for 3 weeks last January and am scheduled to return next week. Beautifully designed "campus" that lends itself to making friends. Basic but clean and affordable rooms for any budget. Absolutely loveable staff. Amazing food. Great place to go as a single traveller.

Encuentro is a bit of a tricky rock/reef break. Tough paddle out and lots of stuff in the water. Theres a weird "bermuda triangle" converging current thing to your left if you're facing the beach to watch out for. But it's big fun if you can get on the outside with waves from 3-15 ft. Best to hit in in the early am before the winds pick up as it can get unsurfable in the afternoons.

Cabarete is an awesome town with a million things to do if you're not into surfing. I strongly recommend the 27 waterfalls tour. There is also an affordable language school next to the camp.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Asinthediamond
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 10, 2013

From 24 december until 6 of january 2013, a gang of 6 friends stayed at Cabarete Surfcamp at Calle Bahia 11, Cabarete. The camp is run by Elena, a very nice and dedicated woman that organizes everything beautifully. The camp also contains / cooperates with both a surfing and a kite-surfing school where it is possible to book lessons or rent equipment. It is also possible to book diving at Merlins dive center i Sosua through Elena. In other words, everything flows brilliantly.
The camp is situated at the end of the lagoon of Cabarate and in its fresh waters you can see chiclids and tetras (aquarie-fish), as well as turtles and hunting pellikans. Naturewise it is a pearl. The only backside is a few mosquitos, but all appartments have netting over the windows and mosquito nets to have over the bed were lended out by the camp. In combination with a little mosquito-repellent, it was no big problem. The distance to shore and the city center of Cabarete is only a couple of hundred meters.
The food is VERY nice, and it should be mentioned that locals travel to eat here from long distances. The kitchen is in other words renowned!
All in all I would like to recommend this place. Tourism has gone down a lot, so it is not so crowded. The beach holds great wind-surfing and kite-surfing, while for surfing the best beach is a couple of kilometers away (but this is no problem as the camp sets up transportation each morning).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
aspen, co
Reviewed January 8, 2013

"Look at all these awards on the wall! We are Number One! We get people like you, who cares? Write what you want!" yells Antonio, Head Surf Instructor and self-appointed dictator at Cabarete Surfcamp, after telling me I cannot sit at the same dinner table as my friends.

Cabarete Surfcamp, aka Ali's, has a lot of good things going for it: wonderful kitchen staff, lovely housekeeping, fun photographer, and many travelers floating around to befriend. Unfortunately, the office is open no more than three hours a day -and only in the middle of the day - so concerns/questions/anything you might need will have to wait; or, you will have to plan your vacation around those few hours. And the rest of the time, Antonio takes charge.

While personable enough up front, unbeknownst to you, you may fall out of Antonio's good graces and find yourself kicked off the island.

One morning, the back of the surf bus was full so I moved towards the empty seats up front. Antonio appeared, pointed to the back seat and told me to move: "You are thin; my photographer and I will sit up front."

The camp didn't have vacancy for my entire stay, and so I'd made prior arrangements to stay elsewhere once Ali's was full. However, the restaurant is open to the public and so I came to dinner as a paying customer and to eat with the friends I'd made over the last 10 days, before they left. Antonio greeted me at the door: "What are you doing here?" Ummm..."You don't stay with us, you don't surf with us, you cannot sit with us!"

What had been a nice experience among friends turned into a reality TV show melodrama, with Antonio parading around like the Godfather and telling me "never to come back!" I heard similar stories from others during my stay in Cabarete, that they too had been told they couldn't sit and eat with their friends. And when I checked out, I was asked: "Please don't invite anyone to your new apartment for dinner. That will make us very angry." What??

In a place like Cabarete where every peso is hard-earned, and appreciated, I am shocked that Ali's/Cabarete Surfcamp allows any of their staff, much less the surf instructor, to treat clients in this way.

Room Tip: Check out one of the other surf camps in the area -Swell, Hummingbird, all good places to meet peopl...
Stayed December 2012, traveled solo