“Not just a hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Prince George, Canada
“Not just a hotel”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Besides the obvious value adders (on-site excellent restaurant/bar, best Gym ever, yoga, trainers, nutritionists, & kite surf school), there's so much more to this great spot.
Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Keep an ear out for group dinner invites!
Trip/activity suggestions range from informative to relaxing to awe-inspiring to wild adventures. I would recommend the farm tour to everyone.
Great relationships with other local businesses resulting in a constant stream of excellent restaurant/surf school/rental/boardshop/barber/bar/etc/etc suggestions
Did I mention the coolest gym ever? Zach & Co at Rogue fitness were extremely friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable, and engaging to every single person who walked through the door, regardless of experience or fitness level. They clearly love what they do and it shows.

If you have an active lifestyle, or would like to get more active, eXtreme hotel is THE place to be. I came here alone looking for some good surfing and I wound up with a whole wack of great experiences with some great people, both in & out of the water.

Room Tip: Bottom floor = access to an excellent communal kitchen! bring ear plugs. night time bugs + traffic...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank Ekai J
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014

We glad that you enjoy the gym - we think it's one of the coolest gyms ever as well. The crossfit, yoga and trx classes are a big draw for the guests of the hotel. We love what we do and it shows!

Glad you enjoyed the surfing, we think it's some of the most underrated surfing in the Caribbean!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My three week stay at Extreme did in fact change my life. It made me realize something I had been dissecting away in my mind for about a year…

Superheroes do in fact exist!

After I read Tim Ferriss’ incredible The 4 Hour Workweek I realized that there were some people that just seemed to be having way to much fun for the amount of “work” they put in. I used quotation marks because for many of these people it seemed they actually enjoyed what they did for cash. They were just doing what they were doing and suddenly somebody decided to pay them for it. Ah… True bliss!
Well, Extreme is ground 0 for this tribe of globetrotting superheroes. Just by being there you will feel faster, stronger and happier. Everyone you come in contact with is a real life superhero that is doing their best to build a truly happy life. Everyone will brighten your day and everyone will inspire you to actually do something that day!
I did the 2 week kite package and became good enough to ride back and forth a distance that seemed blasphemously unachievable just a few days before. While they don’t have the walkie-talkies (which I wouldn’t even wear from how silly they look) the guys over at Extreme’s Kite School will watch over you like hawks… Keeping you safe way into the twilight hours of a pretty much priceless late afternoon kite session.
The rooms are incredible for what they actually cost! You have your own bathroom and fan right above your bed that will provide the perfect Caribbean seaside sleeping temperature. For food just head over to Extreme’s own Mojito Bar and ask Sonia for a delicious Crepe and maybe some Waffles… Calories over there taken on a whole different meaning. You can basically eat twice as much as you eat back home and you will probably lose weight! You’ll be sweating those waffles in about an hour while trying to body drag upwind to get your board back. But do it. Definitely learn to body drag upwind…
Nightlife is every night. You just get up at 9 or 10, have breakfast, workout, take a nap, quick luch, kite for 4 hours, have a beer with 20 of the coolest people you’ll meet in your life, take a nap, go for delicious burritos for dinner and then party ‘till 2 am.
Rinse. Wash. Repeat.
Ahhh… how I like keeping life simple.
The staff is just amazing! All of them, there are three awesome girls that will practically become your friend by Osmosis. Yes, they are that nice. And pretty too, so be warned.
Robbie, the owner is always up and about and is pretty good at Ping Pong. I think we played twice and halved things pretty fairly. I lost my credit card and he completely figured out a way for me to pay him the rest of my bill when I got home!

Zack, the crossfit guy, is one of those people that can make you happy just by walking past you. He has an incredible vibe and leads some amazing training sessions!

So tell me, when was the last time a hotel let you check out without paying your bill and just said… Hit me up when you get home… Here is my Paypal. Well, that’s the kind of place it is.
So go. Go back. And bring others.

All the people there even inspired me to create a school for superheroes. Jajajaja. You can imagine the time I had I bet. Check it out: www.expeditinghappiness.com

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank supercarlitos99
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Kind of a one stop shop for your active vacation. The staff is super friendly and make a point of including you immediately into their little activity group. I had a last minute change in my travel plans and the staff was flexible and able to accommodate my request. You will be able to arrange all kind of activities directly at the hotel, either using their facilities or through side trips. I took kite surfing lessons through extreme and participated in one very exhausting crossfit class...both were awesome. The Mojito bar serves good and healthy food and is tended by a very friendly group of locals. I will certainly recommend this place to friends and family headed to Cabarete.

Room Tip: Try to get a room closer to the water. It will likely be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank paco_gato
Maryland
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Yoga in the morning with Molly was exceptional. 20 yards off the beach, outdoors, and advanced as you want to be. Then to breakfast on the beach, great staff, great food. Moderate prices. Then sign up for Pilates, Kick boxing, Cross-fit, etc. By about 1-2pm, the wind is kicking it up, so on to Kiteboarding. At night, there is about a mile walk to town where there is plenty of good food, out and indoor bars, some with sports TV. Everywhere you go in Cabaret, you walk or hop on a scooter/moto for about a $1.
The hotel itself is equipped with very nice, large, if simple rooms. No TV or microwaves. You have a frig and a 5 gallon purified water tap...an absolute necessity in the DR. Don't brush your teeth from the tap.
This hotel is run by a fellow named Robby who trains his staff to be laid back, helpful and courteous, as he is.
The hotel is a bit more like a hostel in that it has more basic amenities, and it's key coolness is that it caters to an Active Crowd. This is not an all inclusive hotel, but a gathering place for people who want to try something new daily. I had a full set up trapeze and net right outside my room where some very skilled Circus folk teach flying lessons. Outrageous and fun and about 1/3 the price you'd pay anywhere in the states.
To be complete, I will say that the place is run on mostly solar, so the water can be very hard to modulate. The front couple of rooms near the office were too loud for comfort (traffic noise), but the rooms near the ocean were great.
I should also say the kiteboarding package is the way to go, here, with unlimited rentals.

Room Tip: There is no AC, but you don't need it. Request a room by the ocean if you're a light sleepe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank richthepa
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Even though I am not a kite surfer, I had a great stay here. Staff is friendly and helpful, the restaurant has great food (try the salsa) and the beach is beautiful. I walked up and down the beaches and fully enjoyed the trip.

Room Tip: Get a room as far from the road as possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Hamidah2013
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just got back from 2 weeks at Extreme with my Fiancee. Loved every second of it.

This place is heaven on earth for the right person. If you can't live without luxury, stuffing yourself until you can't sit up, watching TV on vacation, taking 30 minute hot showers then you may have some difficulties. Otherwise embrace what this property has to offer and try anything and everything.

The staff are not your typical "desk rat front desk agents". They are floating around the property everywhere and it is obvious they love their job. Ask them anything anytime. Their recommendations are better than anything you will find on trip advisor. They also make you feel really FAT every time they walk by you all ripped and sweaty and your at the bar eating a canadian sandwich.

Extreme is walkable in the day along the beach to Cabarete bay. At night you hop on a moto bike or taxi to get to town.(3 mins) 2-5 dollars. It is a great spot to be away from the hustle and bustle of town but there are just the perfect amount of cool people around to have great company. It is a great headquarter if you are into surfing, kiteboarding, cross fit, yoga, and gymnastics, running on beach.

I think some people could get deferred from the name EXTREME. I consider an all inclusive resort EXTREME as I think I would go insane being lazy, not meeting inspiring active people, experiencing true culture and making decisions for myself, partaking in a healthy lifestyle.

The rooms have very high ceilings which I love and great balconies. There was no TV or AC which I personally don't like to have on vacation. The place felt very secure. Showers were weak but then you remember it is a solar power property ha. Pool was big and very clean. Property was well maintained and looked great. Beach was nice and sandy. Restaurant was well priced and excellent, kite school was amazing, yoga = amazing, cross fit - did not try but i'm sure it's awesome as everyone is ripped. We will be back.

Nice touch on: the included massive water jugs which were so needed and the message board which posts daily news and activities.

Thanks to all staff for everything.

Room Tip: Liked top floor for its balcony views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gregoryroberthale
Such a cool review! Love the title.

Does it mean then if my girlfriend loves it, I'm just like Indiana Jones?

Thank you for the review. It's spot on. Extreme is totally heaven on earth for the right type of person. We strive to be the best at what we are - and action sports eco hotel that caters to fitness enthusiast, eco minded cool people. Rather than put all our efforts into the rooms, we put our efforts into the activities - because that's what we do all day!

And thank you for noticing the water jugs in the rooms! We are the only place in town that does that! It seems strange that other places don't - watch for what's coming soon - we plan to start to rain water collect drinking water as an option!
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Extreme Hotel lived up to the hype!
Staff- A+
Robbie- you have a great thing going here! The energy and vibes your staff creates is inspiring.
I would call them more Entertainment Hosts than staff, and each member has incredible talents.
Gigi- for planning amazing parties and local trips...she's very persuasive
Ariel- incredible kind and professional and a wealth of knowledge about holistic health and wellness
Zach- fitness guru
Yoga instructor- never done yoga before but also never felt so calm in a packed room overlooking the ocean

Things to Do- A+
Surfing- forgiving glassy waves everyday

Kiteboarding- world class and amazing to watch at breakfast

Fitness programs- world class

Farm Tour and Lazy River- piggy the pup was amazing as well as our tour guides and meal

Town- B
Pretty basic stuff, a few pushy vendors but overall the safest I've felt anywhere in the carribean. With that said make wise decisions and don't walk the town or beaches at night alone and intoxicates

Encuentro Beach- A+
Crowded surf but friendly locals at the surf shop. Great board selection and even watched my wallet and sandals and nothing was missing. Amazing! Also puppies everywhere. Seriously...what's better than surfing and puppies

Property- A

Rooms-B+
The value was an A+ for sure but if you are looking for the Ritz this isn't the place for you. Imagine a really super nice hostile like environment with private rooms and clean beds and sheets with breathtaking views.
We highly recommend the Penthouse for large groups.
Expect a few bugs on the floor as this is an Eco organic place. Maid did a decent job cleaning up after us on the regular.

My biggest complaint is there are no amenities to purchase onsite so bring your own and the bar closes at 730pm.

Restaurants- B+
Lots of fresh food and good prices in town. Ask staff.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends