“very nice location and good service”
Review of Extreme Hotel

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel is just on the beach, but not crammed in between all the other ones which makes it feel more laid back. Basic accommodations, but a clean and all that you really need. Good service. I had kite lessons at GoKite which was of good quality too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank vegardtv
There are newer reviews for Extreme Hotel

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I spent 6 days at Extreme in February......and it was fantastic. I read the reviews and thought, hey, this place sounds like a lot of fun. When I got there and saw the trapeze set up, and the gym, and the halfpipe by the bar (which serves the coldest beer I've had) I knew I had found a special place. Not to mention the kiting, which was the reason I came to Cabarete in the first place. It was just great in so many ways. The people staying there and working there were super friendly and really fun. There's a very social atmosphere at Extreme, it's impossible not to find something fun to do no matter what time it is. It's not luxury living, the rooms are basic, but you're not coming to Extreme for luxury. The restaurant/bar at Extreme, Chichigua, is very good, especially after a long kite session. The kite school/rental place is also located inside the bar area, and I had a great experience dealing with Richard and his gang there. I hadn't even left before I was thinking about when I could come back to this place, I liked it that much.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank ShawnV1
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us!

We are always happy to host kitesurfers, and it's easy to please guests who appreciate that we are the best possible location to kiteboard from with a big grassy area to set up your kitesurfing gear, showers and everything that you need for the ultimate kiteboard vacation.

And happy to serve the coldest beer in Cabarete - thanks for noticing.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

HOTEL: Just enjoyed a 5 night stay there! The accommodations were extremely basic but very clean and well worth the price. The staff did a great job looking after their guests. I was travelling solo and this is a GREAT place to meet like-minded people. Within an hour of arriving on a Saturday night, I made friends in no time. They offer WiFi throughout the hotel, which even reached some of the hotel rooms! They offer a ton of activities, be sure to check them all out on the website.

Extreme does have a bar/restaurant on site, but gets pricey if you were to eat there 3 times a day. The hotel is located about a 5 minute drive/30 minute walk from Cabarete, which is a nice beach town filled with many places to eat and good night life. The area is very safe as long as you use common sense. You can also walk down the beach and eat at other places.

KITE BOARDING: The hotel has a kite boarding school right on site. I purchased a package which included accommodations and unlimited Kite Boarding instructions, supervision and gear rental for the length of time I was there. Unbeatable value!!!! The instructors are all locals, but speak good enough English. If you're going to do kiting, I HIGHLY recommend doing it for at LEAST 6 days. On the 4th day, most people get up on the board. Be sure to use a rash guard, GOOD UV sunglasses and use PLENTY of sunscreen & Zinc oxide; Spending all that time in the sun can leave you burnt to a crisp.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank David P
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us!

We appreciate your honest feedback. eXtreme Cabarete is a great place to learn to kiteboard, with ideal kitesurfing conditions right out front. The kiteboarding school has been around for 9 years, and does a great job at creating kitesurfers in a fun save environment.

It's always a pleasure to see the excitement on our guest's faces as they discover kiteboarding. It's like being a kid all over again!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at the Extreme hotel for 12 days and it was a great experience.  I took Kitesurfing lessons there at Gokite, the school attached to the hotel, and also took trapeze lessons.  There was a gym there with yoga, crossfit, and kickboxing.  The whole place runs on solar energy, which is really important to me as a traveller because it's the only place I found in Cabarete that takes it's environmental footprint seriously.  The staff is super welcoming, which was a big deal as a solo traveller, and the first night they invited me out to dinner.  I ended up meeting a bunch of other cool people and everynight we'd pick a restaurant and a big group of us would go out and eat in the town.  I recommend Viet Cafe, Gorditos, Alli's.  The restaurant that is attached to Extreme has a bunch of healthy choices but is a little pricey compared to what you'd get elsewhere in town.  When there was wind the kitesurfing was awesome (about 5 out of the 12 days in March that I was there), and there was plenty to do when there wasn't wind.  Extreme also has an organic farm, which I didn't visit but would like to the next time I come.  The rooms were simple and clean.  When a crack in my screen let a whole bunch of mosquitos in, the staff responded quickly, fixed the crack and got rid of the mosquitos.  I would definitely stay here again.  Next time I will try to pick a season where the wind is slightly more frequent so I can get more kitesurfing in.

Room Tip: Room 19 had a nice high ceiling.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Morgan R

Thank you for taking the time to review us Morgan!

It was a pleasure hosting you, and it was obviously you had a fantastic time enjoying our fitness facilities. eXtreme Cabarete is a unique place with so many fitness options all in one place.

We also put in a big effort to ensure all our solo travellers feel like part of the team. Once you're introduced to everything, it's amazing how people take to the place and quickly feel right at home.

It was good to see you in the ktieboarding lessons, and then compliment your vacation with yoga and fitness classes. We love it when our guests are happy!

Hope to see you again sometime here on Kite Beach, Cabarete!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This will be my first Tripadvisor-review ever. Because Extreme Hotel is too good to keep it secret. I have never returned back to a holiday-spot, and I have been to 40 countries, this time though, I am coming back. The beach is insane. The workout is more insane, the people, the food, the yoga. It´s all in all one of the better places I have been to. And, the prices are unbeatable. See you later guys!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank travelingtiller
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I almost made the mistake (embarrassing mistake) of almost being lured into the cheap packages of the all-inclusive resorts in the surrounding area. My friend then convinced me that I would regret it as he had been to Extreme a previous year. If you have any sort of inkling to go to the all inclusive resorts, but are for some reason reading this post, DON'T GO. Don't even think about it. You would be making an unwise decision for many reasons. Here's the list:

1. Extreme is amazing.
2. The staff is great. I enjoyed the girls and Robbie is pretty funny.
3. Yoga / Fitness / Gym are all on site
4. If you're into it, there's a trapeze / skate park - not my jam - but I was happy to watch the trapeze every morning (it was my wake-up call)
5. Kiting is easily set up, nicely taught there
6. Rooms are fine. There was absolutely no need for AC when I stayed.
7. Water is hot.
8. Happy hour happens every day
9. Happy hours lead to a great vibe in the bar
10. You WILL meet other people if you want to
11. Then, you could take a Motoconcho downtown to eat at some really great restaurants in town (Ali's, Gorditos, VietCafe, Coco Loco were a hit with our group)
12. From there, you can go dancing in Cabarete (Thursday night was really fun)
13. Then, you might need earplugs to sleep in the next morning (bring them).

I've travelled to some other cool places around the world, but this place really left its mark on me. I will return and I'm sure many other people will too. When I was on the plane I was talking to a couple that had been in Puerto Plata, and they had said they were happy to go home. I felt the complete opposite, that I could've stayed much much longer. Except I had to work. Sad. Face.

One tip: When you arrive, the place at the entrance is NOT the lobby. It's the Spanish classroom. I found Robbie in the gym, who then led me to mojitos. It all works itself out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jkotulak
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Exciting, and fun. over the top.
always something to do. lots of activities going on all the time.
friendly helpful staff. clean rooms, eco friendly hotel. no a/c. but really good ceiling fans. never a problem. secure rooms.
met lots of new friends, of all ages.
up and growing hotel and community.
best fitness experience ever. counting the days to return.
all good. met all and more of my expectations.loved it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo