“so much to do...so little time...”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Extreme Hotel

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Fort Lee, New Jersey
“so much to do...so little time...”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

What an amazing week...really want to thank the staff and Robbie for sharing that little slice of heaven with me; it def was the most memorable trip yet! I’m already looking forward to the next trip…and maybe even trying out a “Warrior Week” that Robbie is dreaming up. Your spot is #1 on my list of must return places.:)

All my friends who stayed at a high end resort down the beach kept coming back to the eXtreme hotel for all the facilities. Frankly, I think they were jealous that I had all these amenities at my fingertips. I wish I had more time to attend a few of the classes and check out the organic farm but I guess I'll have to save this for my next trip. Only have to find a way to be able to tele-commute from the eXtreme hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank man l
kiteloungerobbie, Manager at Extreme Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for your review!

Most guests come to eXTreme for one of the activities and focuses in on that one activity, and may try another. The kitesurfers go kiteboarding, and then may try a croffit class. The Yogis focus on yoga classes, and may try the flying trapeze or circus arts. Sometimes, and this is rare. people like you come by and DO IT ALL, and it's an amazing site to see.

Thanks for coming and having such a great time. It's pleases us to have guests like you who come to DO all the things we offer. We truly love this place, and when others love it too it's the greatest reward.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Extreme last summer and can't wait to get back. It's a great place to go solo or with people, nice clean simple rooms, and a great vibe - easy to get into all sorts of activities and to hang out with other people if you are traveling solo. The staff was also awesome and went out of their way to ship my purse, which I had lost while traveling there, back to the US to me when it was found - so nice. Highly recommended and I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Megan B
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Such a great place to spend a holiday! The hotel is right on the Kite Beach - a great location for those being there for sport. Everybody was friendly and helpful: they helped us book lovely trips all over the place, spent time chatting with us, served us the best homemade food & drinks. One time, when the kitchen was closed due to preparations for Christmas, they shared with me the food that was cooked for their own family :) Well, top that! So, in case you get to read my comment, thank you guys! Especially to Genevieve, Monalisa & Giovanni! Hope to see you all soon!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LorenaSD
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We were booking on a budget, and were happily surprised when we got to our room. It was very spacious and nicely set up with two double beds which both had very comfortable name brand mattresses ( Serta - I looked :)). That, along with the large ceiling fans, screen windows, and screened patio doors, kept us very comfortable when we were in the room. There was also a room safe for valuables and lots of shelving and closet space to store and organize our stuff.

We started off our vacation fairly inactively just relaxing and appreciating the tropical setting, great weather, beautiful beach, central pool, and friendly people and good food at the bar / restaurant. Later, once we wanted to do more, Staff was very friendly and helpful in connecting us with opportunities for lots of activities. We didn't do it all but there is yoga, gym work outs, circus training stuff, kiting, and lots and lots of guided tours / adventures. And this is why you will not want to leave.

The more you do, the more you want to do, and the more opportunities you discover. The DR is an extended adventure waiting to happen. The Extreme Hotel and staff was the combination that opened our eyes to the possibilities while providing a friendly, safe, aesthetic, affordable home base for us while we visited the area. The waterfall tours and learning to Kite Surf were two of my highlights. I wish I was still there kiting...Also, I shopped pretty hard on learn to kite deals and I didn't find anything that came close to the standard stay and kite deal at Extreme.

One last thing, if you prefer really "high end" accommodations, and want them offered at better price than if you call a travel agent or the front desk, you probably should call Extreme to talk about your needs. When we were down there we met two couples who had done this. I think a lot of hotels down there are structured as condo owned rental pools. If you deal with the owner or extreme staff who know them, you can get a much better deal. I probably don't have this 100% correct but I know the people we met got a very good deal booking through Extreme.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Eric M
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Extreme for 12 days.
"G", the girl in charge, was very helpful and nice. She saw to that we got everything we needed right away.

I bought the full Kiteboarding package (65$ per hour) and I almost learned to kite good in less than 6 hours!

The restaurant has a small menu, but some of the things they offer is heavenly! (muffins, moringa-passionfruit smoothie, ice mocca, moringa-bread..)

We had really bad luck while we were in Cabarete, we caught both the Dengue Fever, an Amoeba infection, we got robbed, and credit card frauded from a local ATM.

They Yoga-loft was our favourite place, where we spent at least a couple of hours every day, both practicing yoga and brazilian jiujitsu.

The beach is wonderful! On windy days it is FULL of kites, so it can get a bit crowded, but still more than OK =)

Since nobody warned us, I will warn you:
*Dont go to far to the left on the beach with valuable stuff! We got robbed by a kid with a rusty steel-stick.
*Do NOT use the outdoor atm! Dominican republic is top 5 in the world on creditcard fraud. (we heard after we got scammed)
*Use Mosquito repellant or mosquito netting. Dengue fever is not nice.
* Do not eat uncooked food or drink tapwater. Throw it if it is uncooked, and buy expensive water.

With that said, here is a couple of other things we enjoyed while staying at extreme:

*200 m to the left, on the other side of the road, you can get CHEAP and goood coconutwater! Buy a big waterbottle and get it filled every day. Perfect hydration, and so goodylishious!

* favourite restaurants:
beach club cabarete - Fish tacos!
organic coffehouse - papaya power shake
outra cosa (next to janets, on the beach) - fanciest restaurant in cabarete, perfect food, perfect for a special special night ;)!
Presidente (not the big one, the small one with a surfboardsign and a small pool) - Fruit punch!!

We enjoyed our stay at the extreme hotel! Thank you Mona-Lisa, G, Morpheus, Matilda, Molly (yogateacher) and everyone else!

Room Tip: upper floor has refridgerators. they have hot water in all showers! :D