“Great staff, good location, fun activities”
Review of Extreme Hotel

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sharon, Massachusetts
“Great staff, good location, fun activities”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This hotel is especially good for those who are interested in doing a variety of sports and activities, meeting open-minded travelers from all over the world, and experiencing a simpler, relaxing, and eco-friendly living. The staff were super friendly and working hard to make sure guests were comfortable. They also organized fun outings that made my stay even more enjoyable. I felt safe and welcomed. Most of the nights were very quiet.

Best vacation I have ever had. Will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank bulbs8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We recently took a trip down to Cabarete to stay the Extreme Hotel that offers an array of different activities. The hotel looks a little old and the rooms are very basic, like luxury camping. There are no air conditioners, rooms get cleaned every couple days to conserve water and keeping costs down. The hotel prides itself on working to become fully self-sufficient and energy conserving, going green. The rooms are equipped with a fan, refrigerator, a huge bottle of purified water for only $100 pesos, a few towels, hot and cold water, and each room has a balcony. One suggestion I would make due to the sand and wind in the area is to provide a small broom in each room to sweep out the excess dirt that we attract in. Simple way to keep the room clean since cleaning is every couple days. Extreme Hotel is situated at Kite Beach so it's at a great location for kite surfers and paddle boarders for morning paddles.

There is a restaurant on site that offers pastelitos, salads, a few drinks. We were told it was in transition to more to offer on the menu as there wasn't much to choose from, but then again we went during low season, high season could b different. They use all their own produce grown at the Extreme Farm that I suggest checking out. Fresh fruit, veggies. The farm is about 15 minutes from the hotel and walking the farm is included on the lazy river tour which I HIGHLY suggest. Walk to the Yesica river from the farm with inner tubes and slowly make your way back to the farm in clear, blue, calm waters, taking in the quiet surroundings and beauty of the country. There are a couple rapid spots that is quite fun with an inner tube. After that, eat a homemade lunch by the workers of the farm. Don't forget to say to Piggy, the farm dog. She'll swim along on the river.

The trapeze offered at the hotel as well as Jiu Jitsu, Crossfit, yoga, Capoiera, lyra, aerial, swim lessons, and the obvious Kiteboarding with lessons offered. Throughout the week, you'll see local kids and other kids from all over come to take on the trapeze schooling adults like ourselves. The staff are very friendly as well. You really can be active all day every day if you have the energy. We went ziplining, rode a dune buggy, did the lazy river, went scuba diving, ate in Cabarete town which is a short moto ride. On our last day we went to Playa La Boca, had amazing crabs caught that day, Parrot fish, Pina coladas made in a pineapple, coconut with rum. Quintessential Caribbean drinks. :-)

If you're looking for a reasonable, affordable hotel with tons to offer for everyone and don't expect 4-5* accommodations but totally ok with it, this is the place. The only thing that would of made it top notch for me personally is offering breakfast in the morning. The view is gorgeous, I would of enjoyed waking up to a basic menu of breakfast, but maybe in the future. However, the restaurant does use the Moringa tree in their product, and supplies trees for the local kids to plant. Ask about it. Highly recommend for nothing but FUN!

Room Tip: Most rooms face the trapeze, you'll get to watch at certain times of the day. There are two room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TravelingYoginista
Miami
Reviewed October 16, 2012

When my mother booked her trip to Extreme she intended it to be with my dad but luckily enough for me, I got to go with her instead. What she thought would be a romantic getaway turned out to be a mother-daughter bonding experience...

Extreme is a Hotel a hotel whose amenities are Jiu Jitsu, Yoga, dependable weather for kite boarding right on the beach, a trapeze/circus school, a gym with amazing classes every day and night, a halfpipe, and a surf break that's a 25min jog from your room. With all of that I came back home more fit which is exactly what an EXTREMELY active very early 20 year old would think of an ideal and fun vacation. But what about my mid 50's mom?

She found sleeping in the fresh breeze of night a comforting change. With the doors open (screens of course) sleeping to the sound of wildlife and waves crashing less than a football field away is exactly the quality you don't get at every other top-quality hotel I've been to. The hike up to the surf beach is seaside, and eventually we made the same trip horseback riding ($30 for a long seaside/forest ride while the sun sets!!)

Everyone who stays at Extreme or works there is friendly, with an interesting story, and since no one is cooped up in their rooms you meet a lot of them. The people it attracts are health conscious and don't come on vacation to gamble or sit in their temporary thrones watching TV, That's why there's so much to do right in your backyard. And if that's not enough, they have "hookups" with all kinds of tours or if you want to go party in downtown Cabarete, all the special events are posted on the message board if you don't hear it from word-of-mouth first.

Extreme Hotel is perfect for those who already practice an active and extreme lifestyle. I didn't even think a place like this could exist! I've only been to 5 Jiu Jitsu classes, #'s 4 and 5 at Extreme, and I loved it. Even if you've never done it before you can jump in and learn a lot because Papo, their instructor who also teaches boxing, is a champion and breaks down every move and it's purpose. Yes it was me and one other female and a bunch of guys but not even once did I feel awkward because it's so fun and appropriate.The gym classes were intense, definitely not Jazzercise, and the trainer Zach, pushes you hard while protecting your form so it doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in, it's amazing. The classes are made up of a lot vacationers and a lot of locals that you run into later in the street and drink or eat with so it starts to feel like your stay is like renting membership to a community and not just a room.

Even if you're not trying to bust a move every few hours like I am, Extreme is for sure for the whole family. You've got Circus school everyday, the pool, the beach, even the fighting classes for the kids. The sky is the limit if you can make your own decisions but bottom line you're coming back to a hotel that promotes not only clean living with it's tiny carbon footprint, but also to GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM AND LIVE.

The last thing I NEED to mention is the Food. Did I save the best for last? Maybe, but it's only because I love food so much, and my favorite food is healthy food! Diets are easy with fresh smoothies healthy meals, and a native superfood that quite frankly, we don't get enough of: Moringa, look it up. Eat everything on the menu at Chichigua, it wont disappoint. Chichigua means Kite, fitting for one of the best kite boarding beaches in the world. Take home some pitas with you, you'll need them to help during the Chichigua withdrawal phase.

I won't use up any more of your time to read what everyone else is saying- "This place is one of a kind!"-because you want to go and read it for yourself. So here's the conclusion, I had a blast doing everything I had energy for, my mom had a blast getting away from the fast pace world and its so-called needs. Extreme isn't like other hotels and that's what makes it so perfect. Your lifestyle will change, the beat of your drum becomes more tranquilo, and you'll leave having done at least one thing you never had before. I'll come back again and again.

Room Tip: oceanview/balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Gigi T
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 9, 2012

As an aspiring flying trapeze artist, I was looking for a getaway that didn't interrupt my training. Extreme Hotel turned out to be the perfect balance. With a flying trapeze rig (and awesome staff), aerial apparatus of all kinds, a top notch crossfit gym, a yoga studio overlooking the beach, and all of the downtime one could desire, this hotel met every expectation and, quite possibly, ruined future hotels in my mind!

This hotel is not for someone who considers a hotel without room service as camping. The hotel itself is very spartan in a very good way. There is a fridge and water cooler in each room, a decent sized bathroom, shower, and closet, and not much else. In my humble opinion, this is perfect. It encouraged us to sleep in our room and not much else (although they did have wifi, which allowed us to keep our friends jealous with constant facebook photos). We spent the rest of our time exploring the amazing beaches, eating at the hotel restaurant, and basking in the amazing weather by the pool - when we weren't training, of course!

We spent 11 days at Extreme Hotel, and would gladly stay and / or go back for more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Donovan C
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Location, accommodations and staff true gems on this trip. Checked in for some rest and beach relaxation. Monica met us at checkin and was Fab. Very social atmosphere due to several on site activities to take part in. The room was clean and airy and hearing the ocean from my balcony at night only yards away was the icing on the cake, since we are in the caribbean .. the cherry on my PINA COLADA!! Will be back!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lazy_Dog_Bar
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Immediately welcoming and chill, the staff of this place really make it a wonderful spot to chill. Relaxed and easy going atmosphere, and full of fun things to do. Whether you want to kite, do circus, yoga at sunrise, tour local farms/villages/scenic spots with a local, or just chill on the beach- this hotel has it all, and at great prices.
Truly a wonderful time.... I could move there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Katie K
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We had a great time at Extreem hotel! Their concept was amazing for us, as a cupel . One could do kitesurfing or surfing, when the other is at Yoga , reading a book or enjoying the pool or the beach. No doubt that the restaurant was a huge part of our joy there. Monica and Papo, are great people and made us fill welcome and helped us plan our days and fill it with the funest things. Visiting the hotel's farm is a must!

• Stayed September 2012