“Great opportunities all around!”
Review of Extreme Hotel

Extreme Hotel
Ranked #2 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great opportunities all around!”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

This hotel is hard to review. The experience is tied so closely to the fabulous experiences at the businesses surrounding the hotel. The circus school and the restaurant and even the Cafe next door - they're all wonderful. I can't recommend them strongly enough. The hotel is good, too. It's very honest about the basic level of accommodation, so I can't really give it a poor rating, despite the cons mentioned below. It's a decent hotel for its class, and it's made very good by having great activities right there!

Pros:
- Proximity to Circus School
- Proximity to Chichigua Restaurant
- Very laid back
- Right on the beach - very few people on the beach
- Kiteboarding, jujitsu, gym, yoga all on premises
- Great being able to watch the kiteboarders - very pretty in the sunset
- Pool was great and never crowded
- Taxi stand just up the road

Cons:
- Fairly long walk to get to the city, including restaurants and grocery stores (though this contributes to the quiet beach - like I said, I can't really downgrade for most of the cons, just pointing it out)
- Staff can be hard to find - this is the main reason it's not excellent. They're generally findable, eventually, but it'd be nice if there were more instruction or posted hours or notes about where to locate them or something. It's the Caribbean, so I get they do things differently, but the staff is Canadian! ;) Even checking in was a challenge since it took a while to find anyone to get us keys. Eventually a worker - maybe a handyman or gardener or something? - located someone for us.
- The stairs are gated, and you need the key to get out and to get in. So the night some of us went swimming but some of the group was at the hotel, it was a really bad idea to send our keys in with the ones going in since we couldn't just knock on the door to collect our keys. I also question how safe it is to require a key to get out in the event of an emergency, but we had no emergencies, so all was well. Since the staff can be hard to find, locking yourself out or in can be very frustrating.
- Saw a few roaches - I know it's to be expected with the jungle nearby, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!
- No air conditioning - again, this is common in the Caribbean and I didn't expect air conditioning, but it'd have been nice. Just letting you know in case that's important for you.

All in all, I recommend this hotel for budget travelers who are up for a little adventure. The staff has a relationship with a tour company that took us to Damajagua Falls. Absolutely fabulous. They were also kind enough to call and arrange a pick up for Ocean World, even though it wasn't one of their particular recommendations. (But if you want a kiss from a giant sea lion, you should go!)

Room Tip: My group had 3 rooms, all on the second floor - 11, 14, & 15. 11 had great wi-fi reception, but...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank slj101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Before I even arrived the 99 reviews here made me sure this was the place I wanted to learn to kite and chill for a few days. Then there was Robbie, the owner who went out of his way even before I arrived to make sure I was ok. I was traveling alone, but that lasted about 3 seconds because of how friendly the staff were, and the amazing people that were staying there. I can't even express how amazing and genuine everyone that works there is. They made reservations for me, suggested restaurants, even invited me out and made sure I had the best time possible! The room was comfortable, clean and with a water cooler and fridge. I never used the fridge once though! I ate at the restaurant as each meal is home cooked and some of the best food I have ever eaten. Im serious! The kite school staff were fun, and the owner Richard really took the time to teach me to kite surf. The only problem was there was only wind for 3 of my 5 days there. If anyone at EXTREME were able to do something about the wind they would have. Ive been fortunate enough to travel all around the world, and I have never felt more welcomed, safe and truly blown away by the kindness of others as I was with the people who work and run EXTREME. Im counting the days until I can go back. Don't miss this place, it will leave an impression on you for life! THANK YOU SO MUCH EXTREME, YOU SIMPLY HAVE MADE MY LIFE BETTER, JUST BY KNOWING ALL OF YOU! SEE YA SOON! XO DANA

Room Tip: I like high floors.... and rooms with balconies... so if thats your thing, request it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank 24Dana
Conifer, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I visited Extreme Hotel as a graduation vacation and couldn't have asked for more. The hotel is located minutes from downtown Cabarete (one could walk there but we usually took a taxi). Located right on Kite Beach it is an excellent, windy spot for kite boarding. The hotel has a fabulous family owned and operated restaurant, Chichigua, which offers all different type of foods at reasonable prices (more expensive than some places in town but the ambiance makes it totally worth it). Other neat features of the hotel is an outdoor swimming pool, half pipe skate ramp (usually has mats in it for other activities but open for skating on Sundays), yoga loft overlooking the ocean, circus trapezium, and an exquisite gym owned and operated by Zach Greig. The manager of the hotel is a friendly, awesome Canadian who is willing to assist you in any way. I didn't work too much with the owner, Robbie, but he seems like a neat guy who's very into solar power and organic farming. All in all a great hotel and a great place to stay!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laurel S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Chill community feel environment with great kiteboarding just steps away. Would be excellent for solo travellers, as the owners and managers make themselves available and encourage/facilitate interaction with other guests. Even offer some group dinners etc. good location just down the road from the town - about a ten minute taxi. Nice families, don't expect anything 4 star, but it will be a clean enough room and bathroom. English is spoken.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank MED_412
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

If you're looking for one of the best places in the world to lern kite as well as ride as crazy this is your destination! The service and the crew are simply great! In a wonderful setting few steps from the beach you'll find a peaceful and relaxing room to rest afther your daylong ride! Waiting to go once more next year!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank GabrieleLombardo
Peru, New York
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed in this hotel, but it's more than a hotel, it's a life style!!

The beach is wonderful, the restaurant is absolutely great, but it's even more than that.

Our room was not ready when we arrived, so Jenn, the manager took us to the bar and bought us a couple beers while we waited. Arturo, the restaraunt owner, is a young man, and an absolutely nice young man. He really tries to make you welcome without being patronizing.

But it's even more than that.. There's the yoga classes (which we did) the trapeze, martial arts, kite boarding lessons and even Spanish classes.

We are very into a healthy lifestyle and it was so nice to be surrounded by other people of the same mind set. And I think "Extreme" is a bit misleading. I don't think of myself or my wife as being extreme, but I did feel as if we fit right in. Because of the classes, you get to meet people quickly who were all very nice.

The rooms are not fancy, cleaned several times a week, the screens stuck a bit, but they were absolutely safe, there was a five gallon purified water container in our room, it was quiet in the evening, and the views of either the ocean or folks doing the various classes from our balcony was inspiring. The manager wasn't always around, but again, the place always felt secure with the gardeners, security guy and others.

Then of course there's Robbie, the owner. He's a character. Really into alternative, clean energies and organic foods which he seems to be having significant success with. And yet he does not charge extra for the "coolness" that some places would.

Finally, of course were our Yoga classes. Molly's was very active, which I really appreciated. She always makes one feel very welcome and as a result has a very loyal following. Grace's classes which I did on alternate days were more restorative and again absolutely wonderful. You walk out of her class totally relaxed. It was great having the two options there.

I could go on all day. My wife and I have been going to Cabarete off and on over the last 23 years and I have to say if (when) we go back (assuming the Extreme stays quiet in the evening and is secure) that we would definetly stay at the Extreme Hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jerry022
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The wife and I wanted an active vacation on a low budget, and this fit the bill perfectly. She is into flying trapeze and circus tricks and I wanted to improve my kiteboarding. I don't know how she found this place, but I can't imagine there are many hotels/resorts that offer exactly what we wanted for such a low price- we looked at other options in Hawaii, etc which ran about double the cost. I agree with the other reviewers- this is not the place to come if you are looking for a fancy, high-end beach resort, but if you are comfortable with waiting a minute or two for hot water or flushing twice for #2, you will save a lot of money and enjoy the more social youth-hostel style environment. You won't want to do much other than sleep in your room anyway, as there are a million things you can do here. Staff is friendly and helpful, and guests tend to be young, active and easy to meet. I highly recommend asking staff for restaurant suggestions- we ate like royalty all week for very little dough. Wish I had more time off work to go back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple