This hotel is hard to review. The experience is tied so closely to the fabulous experiences at the businesses surrounding the hotel. The circus school and the restaurant and even the Cafe next door - they're all wonderful. I can't recommend them strongly enough. The hotel is good, too. It's very honest about the basic level of accommodation, so I can't really give it a poor rating, despite the cons mentioned below. It's a decent hotel for its class, and it's made very good by having great activities right there!
- Proximity to Circus School
- Proximity to Chichigua Restaurant
- Very laid back
- Right on the beach - very few people on the beach
- Kiteboarding, jujitsu, gym, yoga all on premises
- Great being able to watch the kiteboarders - very pretty in the sunset
- Pool was great and never crowded
- Taxi stand just up the road
- Fairly long walk to get to the city, including restaurants and grocery stores (though this contributes to the quiet beach - like I said, I can't really downgrade for most of the cons, just pointing it out)
- Staff can be hard to find - this is the main reason it's not excellent. They're generally findable, eventually, but it'd be nice if there were more instruction or posted hours or notes about where to locate them or something. It's the Caribbean, so I get they do things differently, but the staff is Canadian! ;) Even checking in was a challenge since it took a while to find anyone to get us keys. Eventually a worker - maybe a handyman or gardener or something? - located someone for us.
- The stairs are gated, and you need the key to get out and to get in. So the night some of us went swimming but some of the group was at the hotel, it was a really bad idea to send our keys in with the ones going in since we couldn't just knock on the door to collect our keys. I also question how safe it is to require a key to get out in the event of an emergency, but we had no emergencies, so all was well. Since the staff can be hard to find, locking yourself out or in can be very frustrating.
- Saw a few roaches - I know it's to be expected with the jungle nearby, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!
- No air conditioning - again, this is common in the Caribbean and I didn't expect air conditioning, but it'd have been nice. Just letting you know in case that's important for you.
All in all, I recommend this hotel for budget travelers who are up for a little adventure. The staff has a relationship with a tour company that took us to Damajagua Falls. Absolutely fabulous. They were also kind enough to call and arrange a pick up for Ocean World, even though it wasn't one of their particular recommendations. (But if you want a kiss from a giant sea lion, you should go!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ultimate action sports eco paradise in an amazing beachfront location. Kiteboarding and surfing right out front, a full service crossfit fitness center, yoga loft, Stand Up Paddle boards, Spanish Language School and a full Flying Trapeze and Circus Arts School - all in one fun place. We are have an organic farm that recycles, composts and grows part of the food we serve in our farm to table restaurant. Come on by and enjoy fun for the whole family! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your Extreme Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Extreme Hotel Cabarete