“Chez Arsenio & Hideaway Beach Condo #1”

Hideaway Beach Resort
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Excellent food. Five star rating!!! East Coast, New york City fine dining quality in a spectacular oceanfront setting. Casual meets quality hospitality with excellent daily specials. Fresh daily fish, delicious steaks & pasta dishes. Friendly bar atmosphere with drink of the day, happy hour & tropical martinis. I couldn't dream of a better vacation. Thank you Chef Arsenio for your hospitality.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stellachapman

Reviewed August 20, 2009

We just returned from Hideaway Beach Resort. This was our 4th and best trip. We are continually overwhelmed by the beauty of the beach, the peace and quiet of the resort and especially the great food and service of the onsite restaurant. Chef Arsenio and his staff really make our stay spectacular. His menu is great but he is also willing to prepare whatever we ask for with a little notice. He is onsite all day providing fresh fruit drinks for us and our children. He brought me coffee on the beach after mine got attacked by ants on the lawn. He has served us champage and appetizers at sunset and even prepared us fresh seviche for lunch and sent one of his staff out for wine so we could have a cold crisp bottle of Pinot Grigio with it ! He makes the best burger I have had on the island and his surf and turf is fantastic. On an island full of unedible all inclusive buffets Chef Arsenio is a refreshing change. Keeping that in mind this is not a spot for action lovers. It is a total "getaway from it all" vacation. Nightlife is 15 minutes away in Cabarete for those who need it. The staff is unobtrusive but helpful and the condos well kept and spacious. The veiws are unparalled and the beach offers great surfing, (regular and kite surfing)a perfect safe swimming cove plus snorkleing, shelling and horseback riding. It is a great place for a wedding or reunion as well as a romantic spot to hang out and be uninterrupted. Grissell is the onsite manager. She speaks English and is very helpful. we will return again and again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ciolko
Reviewed January 29, 2009

This is an incredible place to relax and enjoy the magnificent views from the balconies.
The pool is lovely and the apartament was very confortable whit all we need.
Thanks everyone there. mrs. De Marco

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank dobart
Reviewed September 27, 2008

i booked thru sunny villa holidays they will take your money no refunds if you dont like your room to bad the elictricity works 70% of the time very little lighting @ nite a women had a rat in her room and heard shots fired because they keep the place together with bubble gum and paper clips the roof leaks a guy from ny bot a really bad unit that looked good on floor 2 or 3 i know i was floooded out of the room 2 times he got a screwing
and should sue them plenty of horse poop around and most of the time there is no one there speaking any english the maid louisa is a kleptomaniac and will definitly steal your change
there are no screens so when the air cond dies you wil roast the manager gissele is not helpfull she will yes you to death then laugh behing your back

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nohideaway
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Last year I enjoyed my second visit to hideaway beach resort and my 3 visit to the dominican, I have always been totally satified with my stays at hideway it is perfect distance between cabarete and sosua to give ample choice for things to do day or night but yes my story does come with a huge but......

The apartments them self are clean and of what I would consider a good standard.

Arsenio is an amazing chef and has fantastic skills not only with the food but the guests too unfortunatly he is the only one worth speaking to as most staff lack motivation and it is a struggle to get things fixed such as the air conditioning unit if it should fail but nothing serious enough to spoil the holiday that was untill we decided to get married there!!

We booked out almost the entire place with our wedding party, 15 guest in total we used the hotels wedding service and trusted them with all the arrangements the wedding day its self was amazing and ran so smoothly reguardless of some minor hitches the staff really worked hard . then the following day our guest went home and we had a futher week to enjoy our honeymoon, every day we asked griselle how do we get our wedding certificate, she assured us we would have it by the end of the week, the day we were leavin we asked for the last time is there any way we could just go and get it from the office and she said it still hadnt been processed by the registry office so they would have to forward it through the post to us. My partner and I were unhappy about this but trusted what we were being told was true!! 6 months after arriving home and having still received nothing I began to email the resort where i received a message saying the registry office cant process it untill we pay more money so we asked how to contact them but the resort stopped email contact, upon phoning them I got a mouth full of abuse from a woman sayin the matter had been settle via email, I merely replyed the matter is not settled until i have my wedding certificate, she hung up!! now no one answers to us we have no way of gettin our certificate and we are not allowed to remarry in this country as it is agaisnt the law to get married twice!! the whole situation has ruined my mermories of hideaway and has made me very angry that I trusted them to do my wedding!!

My advice dont go there, the just want your money and once youve paid the dont give a damn!!

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank Shminky
Reviewed May 22, 2008

The site is pristine, the condo beautiful but amenities and staff treatment left something to be desired.

From my arrival, the fridge only worked some of the time, microwave did not work at all, no toaster, kettle or adequate resources for preparing meals. When I informed staff they merely nodded. I told them at least every other day for the entire month.

Pool was emptied for 3 days to paint for a April wedding. Imagine my chagrin when my 2 grandchildren, who were there for 2 weeks, saw that. We spent quite a bit of money taking them to a nearby hotel on day passes to entertain them,

As the month progressed, painting, varnishing, exta cleaning and construction increased daily. The place was hardly serene. It was noisy and smelly.

When I contacted owner in New York her response was ''too little, too late'. I don't know what part of contacting local staff at least every other day during duration that she did not understand.

I understand that things are different in the Dominican but felt overall that I was treated shabbily by all concerned. I would not recommend Hideaway Beach Resort as a destination and I for one will not be returning.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank gamms
Reviewed December 11, 2006

We stayed at Hideaway Beach as a family with two kids (6 and 8) in December, 2006. We had a wonderful apartment that opened directly to the pool and beach on the ground level. We had a modestly equipped kitchen which gave us the freedom to prepare simple meals and dine on our porch at our leisure.

It was as well suited for a family as it would be for an intimate adult getaway. Although we knew there were other people staying there, it felt as though we had a private resort. Most of the time, we were the only people on the beach directly behind the hotel.

Although swimming is not advised due to rough currents, we played in the ankle high whitewash close to the shore. By walking a short distance west along the beach (a few minutes) we were able to find more protected water that you could safely take a dip in.

The staff was very friendly and made every attempt to make our stay enjoyable. Particularly noteworthy was Arsenio who, in addition to being an outstanding chef, covered many other specialties. He served us some wonderful meals emphasizing local foods and styles at our request, though he has a wide repertoire of culinary styles. The kitchen and dining area were under a thatch-roofed structure that opened to the intoxicating breeze and warmth of the Caribbean.

As many others have stated in their reviews, this is not the place to go for a party experience, and we would choose it over an all-inclusive in a heartbeat. It is close enough to the resort towns such that you could easily take a ten minute car ride to get that experience, which we did on two occasions. There is also the opportunity to explore true Dominican life in the rural areas close to the beach resorts - a memorable experience for our family.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family