“LG Surf Camp is top notch!”
Review of LG Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
LG Surf Camp
Calgary, Canada
“LG Surf Camp is top notch!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend three and a half months in Cabarete learning to surf at Playa Encuentro with the Master of The Ocean himself: Luciano Gonzales (LG). Learning to surf is probably the best thing I have ever done in my life and I am truly one of the converted. There is no feeling in the world like catching and riding a wave. It is just total joy, bliss, happiness, full of excitement and giggles. I think I was easily spotted by others in the water on account of the giant grin on my face at all times. Luciano is an amazing, encouraging and very patient teacher. He is the best person in the world to make laugh because he laughs with his entire body... Seriously, you have to tell him a funny joke and try it out. His laughter and love of the water is infectious and he's just someone that you want to be around. He provides a top notch service in and out of the water, he'll bring you to the best breakfast place on the beach and he knows exactly where to g for lunch and dinner (whether you want a five star dining experience or you want to try something more authentic and local). Everything is perfectly taken care of and the condo units at SeaWinds are absolutely gorgeous, modern and on a beautiful stretch of beach.... walking distance to everything.
I loved it! I will go back over and over and over again! Thanks Luciano for showing me the way to surf! :) :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Our stay in Cabarete was amazing! Our room was beautiful, clean, on the beach, and walking distance to many great restaurants and bars.
Luciano is a great instructor and if you want to surf or kite board you should definitely plan a trip with him. We were around many other surf camps and I am extremely happy my boyfriend found Luciano, his lessons were one on one and he was able to pinpoint exactly what to do or not do when surfing. I saw other camps when surfing and it looked like people were everywhere with no real instructor.
He also introduced us to many locals (like Lori) who are awesome and made our trip very memorable. They also recommended some of the best places to dine (like the pasta for lunch at coco loco), delicious!
Paddle boarding to Wilson's is a must and Luciano makes it easy by providing everything!
I highly recommend LG Surf camp and we will definitely be returning! Thank you Luciano!!! You are the best!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our family did the week long surf camp at the beautiful Encuentro beach with LG Surf Camp. Our boys (ages 15 and 17) had been surfing before, but it was a first for my husband and I. Luciano was the best instructor we could have ever hoped for, and we all made great progress throughout the week! The beach was not crowded and certainly not a huge tourist attraction, which is exactly what we were looking for. Not only is Luciano an extremely accomplished water sports athlete and an excellent instructor, but he is a great host and trustworthy person. He took us for meals at all the local places - the food was extremely good and all the people we met were very nice. Luciano took care of all the details for us - carting us around Cabarete, taking us stand up paddle boarding down the river, setting up the best day of horseback riding in the mountains, and he even got us taxi service back to the airport in Santiago at 3:00 a.m.! Luciano called our taxi driver while we were on the way to the airport to ensure we had been picked up. He didn't tell us he was going to do that, but we knew Luciano was the one of the phone. The accommodations were very clean, comfortable, safe, quiet and all around beautiful. We highly, highly recommend LG Surf Camp and Luciano. We would definitely go back, and our boys are already planning another trip to LG Surf camp for a try at kite surfing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Thought about quitting my job to stay longer (and I actually like my job). I stayed for a week in Cabarete and took daily morning surf lessons and afternoon kite boarding lessons every other day.

I booked the trip with Luciano and stayed at the Seawinds which turned out to be a luxury condo bigger than my actual apartment. Took long afternoon walks on what appears to be an endless beach right outside of the condo. Ate such good food, drank such good coffee and slept so well. Was definitely a restorative vacation and can't wait to return to Cabarete.

Also can't say enough good things about Luciano - he is not only an awesome athlete but also a patient teacher, kind person and great all around company.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My girlfriend and I recently returned from an 8 day surf trip to Caberete. We are seasoned travelers and have been surfing Central America and the Caribbean for over 20 years. We always wanted to check out the surf in DR but weren’t sure what to expect. My girlfriend had been doing research for a while and after reviewing the other local surf camps we decided on LG Surfcamp and were stoked that we did. Luciano is the man and a true master of the ocean. He was an excellent host and is a great guy, we felt at home from the moment we arrived. The condo is right on the beach. The room was modern, clean and very comfortable exceeding our expatiations. There is an awesome ocean view from the balcony and kite boarders filled the sky each afternoon. The condo has 24 hour security, is very safe and the pool was very refreshing after an afternoon walk down the beach. Luciano and the boys at LG surf camp got me dialed in to some fun surf at playa Encuentro first thing in the morning and again in the afternoon before the winds turn on. The surf there is very consistent and I was able to surf every day of my trip. I had spent a lot of money traveling with boards this season already and decided not to bring any surfboards on this trip. LG surf camp has a wide selection of new surfboards for all levels with any additional gear you may need to get surfing, on a SUP, Kite whatever. After getting stoked from the morning session Luciano topped it off with a delicious breakfast at a beach side restaurant. We meet up for a delicious local dinner several times during the week. Ask Luciano for a recommendation for the days you are your own he knows all the best spots. Cabarete is a bustling resort town with a lot to offer all day or all night. If you are planning a water sports trip to Cabarete LG surf camp is the spot. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I highly recommend LG Surf Camp. Luciano is an incredible host and kite surfing instructor that will help you find the best that DR has to offer. The condo was well situated, brand new and reasonably priced. There are many amateurs teaching on the beach, but Luciano is a professional and was very patient with me as a beginner. He also took the time to take the group to one of the best fresh fish lunches I ever had in a secluded spot on the river that I would have never found. He took the time to attend to many of our unique requests that made our trip special. I highly recommend the LG Surf Camp experience and the opportunity to be hosted and taught by Luciano. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna
Reviewed February 15, 2014

When I planned my journey I just wanted to get away for a while to a place where I can learn how to surf. Cabarete was a random choice, I just liked the pictures and that fact that it is relatively easy to access from Europe. I was long hesitating between LG and another surf camp and I do not really know why I went for LG finally. It was maybe a sixth-sense thing…
As I traveled alone I tried to prepare myself for all kinds of problems that might pop up. Maybe there will be a problem with the transfer from the airport already. Or I don’t like my room or the hotel. Or maybe the pictures from the ocean side seem much nicer than reality. Or I won’t like surfing. Or after a while I would regret travelling alone. Or I don’t like the people. Or Luciano is an arrogant checker type of person I do not come along with. Well, there was no need for any problem-solving preparation…
Everything went really smooth, very well organised. The little studio I had in Seawinds was just perfect. Nicely furnished with a kitchen where I could have even cooked a little bit (I didn’t, of course). Seawinds is situated just between Cabarete main beach and kite beach so you can easily reach the center on the beach after about a 15-minute walk. Generally, if you want to get somewhere on foot the best way is just walking along the beach. Even the walk itself is amazing.
So my days started with an early surfing session at 7. It might sound weird, but I could not wait to get up early, because I knew I would be at the ocean by the time of sunrise. And the ocean is much more beautiful than on the fotos... In the first couple of days short, heavy storms came just after we started surfing and they produced a rainbow from horizon to horizon, something I have never seen before. Also the waves are calm in the morning, since there is just little wind. And there are much less people than later during the day at Encuentro, the surfing beach.
We just happened to be two surfers when I was at LG and the other girl did not go for the early session, so I had really exclusive coaching from Luciano. I was into surfing from the first moment on and Luciano made sure that I progress. After the first session we went for breakfast to Maraja, a place near Seawinds, where you can sit by the ocean or the pool and sip on your fresh orange or pineapple juice. A also took the second session after breakfast almost every day, so when we got back to Seawinds at 1pm really needed a break. In the afternoon I went windsurfing or to cross fit in Extreme Hotel. If you like this kind of exercise you absolutely have to try the class with Zach.
In the evening Luciano takes you out for dinner. You can try different places some of which you would never enter otherwise. The restaurants on the beach are, of course, trendier, but I liked Wilson’s by far the best. We went to both of his places, the one in the town, and to La Boca at the river. Both serve excellent, fresh fish with salad and fried plantains; what more would you need?
Luciano organizes stand up paddling tours on the river to La Boca, which was one of the highlights of my holiday. We started paddling higher on the river which is covered in water plants and flowers. It is also quite narrow so at some spots trees meet in the middle over the water. Near the mouth it gets wider and you have to paddle against strong wind so you really deserve the amazing food at La Boca when you get there. You absolutely have to do this excursion, ask Luciano for it!
Travelling alone was no problem at all. First of all, people are really relaxed there and you make contacts very fast. I started to extend my network soon and had plenty of opportunities to join folks. But who really made a difference was Luciano. He is not only a great surf instructor, patient yet challenging, but also a wonderful host. He really takes care of you, spending lot of time with you if you want, which makes it easy to meet others or get involved in activities. He is passionate about Cabarete and the ocean and his passion infects you immediately. He is tactful and keeps distance if that’s what you want. But you like having him around; he is someone you can have a lot of fun with.
Usually I like to try new things and I don’t travel to places for a second time. But I definitely want to return to LG as soon as I can.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo