“"El Presidente" of all Surf Camps in Cabarete”
Review of LG Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
LG Surf Camp
Alameda, California
“"El Presidente" of all Surf Camps in Cabarete”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This review is long and long overdue. My brother and I stayed at LG Surf Camp back in May 2013 for one week.

Luciano Gonzalez is awesome. He was very communicative during the planning stages of the trip and answered all my questions to help me make well-informed decisions about the trip. He's definitely one of the most passionate, humble, and nicest people I've ever met. He's a kind human being with lots of heart and is more than happy to share his knowledge of surfing. Not only is he the owner and operator of the camp, but he also doubled as our local guide (a huge plus for people who like their travels with plenty of local flavor). He was very patient and helpful in our surf lessons and was very thorough in pointing out the necessary steps to improve your surfing - we were catching unbroken waves on the outside in no time!

Upon arriving at the airport, we were picked up by the camp's van (Miliciades, the driver and LG's uncle, is very pleasant and available for hire in case you decide to go around or other areas beyond Cabarete. The drive to the camp took about half an hour. We pulled in a gated property and was welcomed right away by LG himself. The penthouse we stayed in was beautiful and spacious. It felt like we were staying at a high-end resort. The place was very modern in its decoration and furnishings. The whole place was clean. My favorite part about it was the "HD" panoramic view of the beach from the balcony where I watched the sun rise every morning for dawn patrol. Another great thing about the place was the rooftop, which offered more unobstructed views of the ocean and beaches. There's also a huge pool downstairs well equipped with sun chairs for your convenience.

The food was delicious - breakfast consisted of real food (not your average "continental" fare": eggs anyway you want them, tropical fruits, made to order crepes/pancakes, juice, coffee, etc. Lunch was on us but dinner was served 4 nights out of the week - dinner consisted of the staples, rice and beans, plantains, salad, chicken creole, and on some nights pork chops, etc. Since I don't eat pork, the two señoras that cook were very accommodating in making sure I had something to eat. I would suggest communicating to LG about any dietary restrictions you may have so they can be prepared prior to your arrival.

Our typical daily schedule consisted of a 6am wake-up call, coffee over the sunrise on the balcony, dawn patrol surf session, back at the penthouse by 10am for hot breakfast, another surf session from 11-1pm, lunch on our own, explore DR or nap, dinner in or a night out in town, sleep, and repeat. My brother and I lucked out because we ended up being the only LG campers most of the week we were there - and that was a huge plus since we got more 1-on-1 coaching time with Luciano during our surf sessions. Also, it was great hanging out with him and hearing about his life in DR and past travels as a competitive surfer.

One thing though that was a minor set back was that at the time, our bathroom's shower door was broken and Luciano wasn't able to get it fixed in time while we were there. It wasn't a big deal to us, but Luciano made it an option for us to move to another room and even offered us complementary SUP or Kite lessons - we opted for the SUP one afternoon and that experience was majestic! SUP'ing down the river was the best was to get acquainted with the quiet countryside of Cabarete; we paddled through lush patches of jungle, farms, and wide open landscapes. Our journey took us to a river mouth where we stopped and had really tasty fresh fried fish and a fresh cold piña colada. After that we paddled back to our point of origin.

Luciano is also very adamant about water safety so he'll be very clear about the ins and outs of how to navigate your way through the water, how to read waves, etc. We surfed Encuentro every day, even on not-so-ideal conditions, but that only got us to progress in our surfing even more. His quiver is well equipped with surf boards of all sizes and shapes. He's got you covered whether you want to slide easy on a longboard/funboard/SUP or rip on a shortboard, fish, or kite board, and everything in between.

I have no doubt in my mind that I will definitely be hitting up Luciano and his surf camp next time I'm in Cabarete DR, and I highly recommend experiencing it for yourself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The LG Surf Camp and experience which comes with staying there was unbelievable. The accommodation was beautiful and we were blown away. The service and inhospitality was unmatched; I have travelled the world and LG is by far the best place I have ever stayed!
- Transportation to surf and kite beach, grocery store, bars, restaurants
- We were shown the best local restaurants / bars and were introduced to many international locals who live in Cabarete.
- Top surf and kite equipment, if interested
- Amazing view and location
I could go on for hours on how amazing our experience was. If you plan on going to Cabarete, which I would highly recommend, you 100% NEED TO STAY HERE!!
Thanks again LG for the unforgettable and amazing week!!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed in Cabarete for 6 days in September and although I didn't use LG Surf Camp lodging facilities, I took surfing lessons with Luciano Gonzalez and he simply blew my mind away with his teaching approach. I started surfing this year and during the 2 days that I spent with Luciano I learned more and progressed more than in 15 days I spent with other instructors in different places. Despite his achievements (e.g. 4 times Master of the Ocean), he is humble, down to earth, without a trace of arrogance. As an instructor, he is very patient but persistent. His instructing is methodical, effective and highly professional. Simply observing how Luciano reads the ocean and moves across the water is already a learning in itself. I can't be thankful enough for the knowledge he shared with me and I highly recommend his surfing camp to anybody and especially to beginner surfers.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My son and I just got back from spending 8 days at LG Surf Camp. I read the reviews below and they all ring true. Luciano Gonzalez is not just a great teacher but wonderful host. If you want to visit a cool town and get the locals experience, call Luciano. On top of surfing everyday, we had great food either prepared back at the condo or out on the town. After surfing in the morning, in the afternoon and evenings Luciano took us out to see the town, play dominoes at the local pool hall, and on a SUP tour through the jungle.
This is the first review I have written for any product or service and I felt compelled to do it after a truly memorable experience. I would recommend highly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Key Biscayne
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My recent, 1 week experience at LG surf camp, was even better than my already high expectations. Every thing about it was first rate. The location, accommodations,food and organization were superb . The instruction ( surf and kite) professional, thorough and effective but undeniably what made this experience so memorable was the owner, Luciano Gonzalez. Aside from being a great instructor and athlete, Luciano has that very rare kind of personal touch. He is a genuinely great guy that is some how able to make every one around him feel special.
Highly recommended!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Simply awesome, my stay in cabarete at LG surf camp couldn't have gone any better. The place is just great and Luciano really makes you feel at home at all times. I went for a week and definitely the worst part was leaving but I'm completely sure I will be returning anytime soon. This was my first time in cabarete and I'm sure there's no need to look for any other place to stay. LG SURF CAMP IS SIMPLY THE BEST!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Location is unbeatable: only the gardens are between your bed and the beach, it is in the "sweet spot" as you are at walking distance to both the restaurants and kite beach.

The lodging is excellent. Food is great, very clean huge apartment with an amazing pool by the beach. Great views from all windows.

The best host and camping experience thanks to LG's energy and dedication to the camp. Makes you feel at home in what you wish it was your home.

Guaranteed you are going to be planning your next vacation there before your first finishes.

Room Tip: It has a great room with many beds if you are travelling as a group.