“Beyond Amazing” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of LG Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
LG Surf Camp
Seal Beach, California
“Beyond Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Luciano who runs the surf camp (penthouse) made the whole expierence!! Being a local he knows all the people and places to go. The accomodations were top notch, breath taking, and completely safe!! I've been to about 30 countries and this was one of my top 3 experiences. Great waves and amazingly beautiful sights to see, from waterfalls and horse back riding through the mountians to stand up paddleboarding down rivers and kite boarding lessons from the world reonouned Luciano Gonzalez himself. Luciano can really relate to travelers as he has traveled to many countries himself. Can't say enough positive things about this place, can't wait to go back!!! Great for singles, groups, or couples of all ages, you are treated like family!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Short summary: LG Surf is fantastic and I will happily & confidently recommend it to friends & family. Great for anyone - singles, couples, families, elementary aged children, teens. Activities for all levels or just enjoy the beach/pool. Luciano is a pro, an incredible instructor and host.

Want more details? .....

I went to LG Surf Camp not quite knowing what to expect. I had found it online, the reviews were positive and the photos looked good. I had never surfed before and I was traveling alone.
(I have worked & been involved the travel industry for some 16+ years)

What was it like when I actually arrived? Absolutely fantastic! I am so glad I took the chance because it far exceeded any picture I had in my mind.

I only hope my review will do LG Surf, Luciano, and the staff the justice they deserve. They deserve gold stars all around! As do the other wonderful guests I met during my stay!

I was greeted at the airport by Mil who held a sign with my name and a great big Dominican smile on his face. On the short 15-20min drive from Puerto Plata airport to the condo/penthouse we chatted, he told me a bit about DR and we played music as the warm air blew through the windows (he would have happily turned on the a/c for me but I loved the fresh air).

Upon arrival at the condo I was met in the parking lot by Luciano and a special little girl (who, as the week went on, taught me a bit of Spanish as I helped her practice some English). Luciano took me on a tour of the penthouse, the facilities, and some of my fun-filled options for the days ahead. I was then graciously invited to enjoy a traditional Dominican lunch with family and friends. It was delicious! As was every meal shared at LG. The food was fresh, healthy, and did I mention delicious!! Mmmm!

This will quickly turn into a novel if I go on about the merits of LG Surf so I will attempt to summarize below:

Food/housekeeping:
-Vicky arrived early each morning while we were out surfing. Upon our return the rooms were made up and the penthouse was spotless. A fresh tropical fruit salad was waiting, along with cereal, toast, yogurt, milk, juice, coffee. Vicky was ready to take our order and happily cooked up fresh eggs (any style), omlettes with ham, veggies, cheese, some pancakes or crepes. No one ever went hungry or not satisfied!
-lunch offered fresh sandwiches (again made by Vicky) or one could try any number of local cafes or beach huts (Kite Beach a short 5-10min walk one direction and Cabrete just 15mins the other way)
-during my stay 3 dinners were included and 2 were out. Again each dinner at the penthouse was made by Vicki and was delicious! The other evenings we went into Cabarete with Luciano and had all kinds of restaurants to choose from (many directly on the beach). Pasta, seafood, chicken, beef, vegetarian, etc, no shortage of options available. Everyone was pleased with their meals and service received.

Accommodation:
-penthouse, beachfront, clean, modern, bright, windows everywhere, absolutely incredible views, great atmosphere, comfortable, and much more
-my room had a king bed, patio, private bath with shower, personal safe, large closet, and a/c (which I never used - much preferred the patio door open & the sound of the ocean)
-there are 3 separate bedrooms, all with private bath, and accommodate a variety of bedding configurations (single, queen, king). Two of the bedrooms also have a tub.
-main kitchen/living room area is open, well furnished with 2 sofas and a variety of comfy beanbag chairs, large dining table, flat screen tv, DVD, appletv, iPod dock, etc.
-free wifi is reliable and accessible within the condo and down by the pool
-private roof top patio offers stunning views - space is not quite completed but still a good place to hang, watch sunrise/sunsets & kite surfers. Luciano has great plans for this area!
-other private 1-2 bedroom condo units within the complex are also available should you really want your own space.

Activities:
-LG Surf offers surfing, kite surfing, and SUP (stand-up paddle). SUP can be done on flat water or waves...or both!
-activity and instruction available for any level from newbie to advanced.
-yoga, fitness, sightseeing, and pretty much anything else you want to do can happily be arranged by the LG staff
-if you have checked out the LG Surf website or Luciano Gonzalez you will know he is a professional at what he does, having travelled the world competing and winning Master of the Ocean several times over. This is a man who knows his stuff and is passionate about sharing his knowledge with others.
- I had never surfed in my life and Luciano had me riding waves! We also did a great SUP trip and a beginner kite lesson. Whether one on one or in a small group, Luciano was an excellent instructor and was able to pay attention to everyone offering individual advice/tips whenever needed.
-He was ever courteous, respectful, safe, and always fun.
-I feel I must emphasize that we always felt safe with Luciano and his judgement

Guests:
-as I mentioned I was traveling alone (over 40) and I was a bit unsure of how that might play out. I shouldn't have worried! I met some wonderful people at LG Surf - singles & families with ages ranging from 16yrs to 40+ years. Everyone was courteous, fun loving, kind, and by the time we had to go home we felt like a great big surfing family. Now in how many places can you experience that??

All in all LG Surf is a pretty special place. I only have one fairly large complaint, why didn't I stay longer?!

I will be back. Next time bringing friends along for the ride.

...so much for a "quick summary"!

• Stayed March 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Went to LG surfcamp for ten days in february and it was great. Travelled on my own and was instantly taken care of as one in the "family" at the camp.
Accomodation is great and Luciano is a great host, taking care of everyone!
I can absolutely recommend this surfcamp if you want a luxury stay at the beach with top noche surfing with great instructor. Suits persons of all age, travelling alone or together!
I will most definatelly come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

LG Surf Camp has been around for less than a year, but it is already a fantastic operation. The "LG" in LG Surf Camp stands for Luciano Gonzalez. He used to be an instructor at Swell Surf Camp but decided to start his own camp. And what a camp it is! From the moment I walked into the amazing penthouse on the beach, I was blown away by the view, the accommodations, and, most of all, Luciano's friendliness and hospitality. I was initially hesitant to travel to a foreign country by myself, but Luciano quickly made me feel at home. Not only was Luciano generous with his kitesurfing instruction, he was also generous with his free time, giving me rides into town and taking me to locals-only spots for authentic (and delicious) Dominican food and drinks. Luciano grew up in Cabarete and shares his knowledge of all the best places to eat, drink, and party. Given that he was sponsored by Red Bull and flew around the world for surfing competitions, he also has some amazing life stories to share.

As others have commented, the penthouse is incredible. Situated right on the beach, you will wake up to the sound of the ocean and see the sun rising over Cabarete. It's about a 15-20 minute walk on the beach to get to town, or a 2-3 minute ride on a motorcycle. Going the other direction, getting to Kite Beach takes only 10 minutes by beach. The beach for surfing requires a short drive, but kitesurfing and stand-up paddleboarding can be done right outside the penthouse. (Although Encuentro, the surf spot, requires a short drive, it's more convenient to stay near Cabarete since that's where food and entertainment are.) Luciano's penthouse has an ipod dock for music, a flat screen tv (with several English channels), free wifi, and comfy couches and chairs. Luciano's housekeeper also comes everyday to keep the penthouse immaculately clean. Since the surf camp is relatively new, however, there are still some kinks that are being worked out. Specifically, the wifi in the penthouse randomly died one day and I had a few mosquitos in my bedroom. Nevertheless, the condo complex also provides free wifi (in addition to Luciano's wifi) that I could access from my bedroom. And after killing the three mosquitos in my room, I didn't get any more bites.

I tend to eat a lot and have dietary restrictions, so I was initially worried about the food. But I my worries were quickly ameliorated once I saw the quantity and quality of food Vicky prepares for guests. I never left a meal feeling hungry and was thoroughly impressed with how good the food was.

Luciano was also a good kitesurfing instructor. Since I never kitesurfed before, Luciano taught me everything I needed to know to attach the lines, read the wind, and control the kite. He also made sure that conditions were right for learning. Instead of heading into the water one day when the wind made conditions dangerous for beginners, Luciano suggested we just practice on the beach instead. Given Luciano's extensive experience with Cabarete and kitesurfing (as well as the other watersports), he is extremely knowledgeable about the water and wind conditions in the area, which is invaluable to someone new to the sport and the area.

In sum, I had a fantastic experience and highly recommend LG Surf Camp if you are considering traveling to Cabarete.

Room Tip: Every room has a ocean view. The one room without a balcony may be a little quieter if there are a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Perfect place to stay when you are looking to get immersed into water action and enjoy a beautiful and comfortable accommodation.
The first thing to strike us when entering the property was the view. It is simply unbelievable. You are looking over the ocean with the fringe of palm trees and this is the what we woke up to every day as it is visible from all penthouse rooms. The ocean is so close that you go to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing and wake up with the sun rising above the water.
The accommodation itself is of a very high standard, very clean and comfortable with plenty of opportunity to chill in the common areas. The food is amazing, we were surfing every day at 7am and it was an incredible pleasure to get back to a warm home cooked breakfast.
The place is perfectly located on the kite beach, slightly off the main centre of Cabarete, giving some peace and quiet, but also an easy walk along the beach to all the bars and restaurants. Luciano is a great host and with plenty of local knowledge we were able to see some great places in Cabarete and around.

And of course the surf.... Luciano is an amazing instructor, we have surfed before coming to Cabarete but wanted to learn the sport better hence opted for taking lessons. He has a great way of teaching you the power of the ocean and the techniques of the sport, being also a great company throughout.

To sum up, a really great experience and some really sad goodbyes....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

It's hard to know where to start;
The food is amazing, home-cooked and is ALWAYS on time.
The accommodations are amazing.

The entire penthouse has a clean, modern feel and is equipped with pretty much everything you'd need to feel comfortable away from home.

With three pools, close proximity to the beach (which made for night after night of wave-induced lullabies) and the a head of the house like Mr. Luciano Gonzales, there's no way you won't have a blast at LG Surf Camp.

I hated the my first day of surfing due to my own inadequacy with the activity, but after another day of closely following Luciano's instruction even I was catching waves left and right.
LG Surf Camp is definitely at the top of the list of reasons to go to Punta Goleta.
Take my word for it; You won't regret it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

LG Surf Camp is amazing! I stayed in the penthouse recently and cannot say enough good things. The accommodations are beautiful, the beach view is breathtaking and the location to everything Cabarete has to offer is perfect! Luciano is a gracious host who goes above and beyond to make you feel like family. He's an excellent surf instructor, patient and full of good tips. The family style meals are delicious and you will definitely feel spoiled. There is no doubt in my mind that I will be back again and again and again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends