“Very, very bad”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cabarete
Coconut Palms Resort
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed April 25, 2008

Our stay was bad enough that we paid $230+ to change our return flight home and leave early. Here's why.

At Coconut Palms the windows do not have glass (open air rooms) so the noise level will keep the average person awake at night. The traffic from the main road is very, very loud. The first room we had, room 11, was so loud we didn't sleep most of the first night as it sounded like the motorcycles were driving right under our windows.

There are roosters nearby that crow before dawn, there are feral dogs that bark in a pack off and on all night, and there are goats, yes, goats, behind the hotel that you can hear clearly. We moved to a second room, room 15, and that was quieter than the first, but you could still hear TVs from other rooms, people around the pool, the goats out back, and the nightly entertainment in the restaurant (the restaurant is open air so the noise from the band echos throughout the hotel). The noise problem was a complaint that 5 out of 6 guests I spoke to had. What can you do if your windows don't have glass? You can't cut down on any amount of noise coming from the other rooms or surrounding area.

There is a pest problem that several other guests complained of also. Our room had roaches, which they sprayed for and they turned up dead all over the bedroom and kitchen the next couple of days. Not something anyone wants to deal with, but we had our 11 month old who was crawling on the floors which was a bit of a nightmare. We had a lizard in our bed one night, and a rat scurried in front of our door another night. That same night the family next to us at dinner saw a rat run across the floor.

I requested and received confirmation for a crib from Judith, the manager, before our arrival and that was never deivered to our room. There aren't hair dryers in the rooms and when I requested one several times, that was also never delivered.

In addition, our bathroom had a water leak in front of the sink and over the toilet. This did not get fixed during our 5 days there, althought they did start working on it by hammering the concrete off the side of the building around the plumbing. An endeavor that woke up our napping child. The work on the plumbing actually made the leaking worse and the ceiling started to cave in. The water pressure in the shower was usually not high enough to keep the shower head from merely dripping heavily. You also cannot flush toilet paper down the toilets, instead you have to throw soiled TP in a trash can next to the toilet.

You cannot make phone calls from the rooms, instead you have to go through the front desk, which isn't too big a deal unless you make a call that uses touch tone prompts, because if you press a number on the hotel phone it disconnects the call.

If you drink beer, be warned that they only serve one type of beer, El Presidente and that's it. And if you want to venture out into the town of Cabarete for beer, food or shopping, it is not within walking distance so you will need to take a taxi. Gasoline is very expensive, about $5 or $6 per gallon, so the cab fares are higher than what most Americans are used to.

On a positive note, the pool area is nice and kept clean and the servers in the restaurant and bar are very nice. But with all these other issues, the most fantastic waiters in the world wouldn't be reason enough to return, or to go to this hotel in the first place. Oh, one last humorous note, the dinner menu consisted of two sheets of paper glued to a file folder. I attached a photo.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Leaving_NC

Reviewed April 15, 2008

We stayed here April 5-12, 2008. I was worried having read some of the other reviews,but for no reason. This is a great resort.! Our room was on the third floor and it was gorgeous with a great view of the ocean. I will say, however that we first had a room on the first floor that was kind of dark and not so nice,but when I asked to be moved they changed our room within the hour. The restaurant staff tries very hard to get you whatever you want .The bartenders are All great(but especially super nick)There was the daily power outages but they lasted maybe 20 seconds and the internet was a problem but that was more annoying than anything else. The walk to the beach was enjoyable. Bring some dog treats for the dogs that live at the beach- they're sweethearts! The kite surfers on the beach are great to watch and photograph and are more than willing to share their stories with you. We did many tours while we were there and enjoyed them all. I would definitely go back to the Dominican Republic and to the Coconut Palms.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Ruespal
Reviewed April 2, 2008

Date : April 2nd 2008
Coconut Palms Resort , what can I say bad about it NOTHING! I have visit many places and other countries but, nothing compare to the Dominic Republc. The people a great and friendly, a place that I'm considering moving to. But back to Coconut Palms Resort what a place to fall in love with, the employees are great to and for the guests. I spent time on my balcony over looking the ocean, I spend time at the Tikki Bar were you meet people and the employees ( Super Nick, Edward, and Victor ) whom I consider my friends now since they were so good to me four months ago, I just wouldn't have stay anywhere else they made my days happy , happy, happy and not just for the drinks even though the drinks are super but the personality are above and beyond what you would ever expect from a group of men. Also let me not forget to speak about the service and the people in the restaurant they wait on you hand and feet some of the people that I recall by name are Jairo , Joanie, and the lady with the beautiful smile with the braces they are just the best. The food all I can say is Mm-Mm-Mm to sit and eat in the terrace out in the open with the tropical breezes blowing well what can I say , you just have to go there and try the food, hat off the the chefs.
Coconut Palms Resort is small but, big enough to enjoy all that the resort have to offer such as dune buggy drive, cave tours, spanish lessons for free in the morning , and a lady name Mariana who gives a great massage for an hour for a small fee. They offer Casino night , Disco night , free rides the the super market and, so much more. I have stay in the one and three bedroom, and the units are clean and beautiful with great ocean views. Once you have spent time at Coconut Palms Resort you will be looking forward to coming back.
Atfer working daily and driving in a big city I look forward to a vacation in the Dominic Repulbic within the next four months so Coconut Palms get ready for me because I'm on my way back soon. Your friend, Georgetta

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank peaceful33
Reviewed March 21, 2008

this the 2nd time we have been, pool great ,staff excellent, but the rooms do need a make over. I think the food on certain nights is excellent, other days just ok. we use RCI and this is the best trade we have made.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank mdguru
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Friendly staff. Below average and every day the same menu in the restaurant. Poor accomodations, holes in the towels, delapidated furniture, and the list can go on and on. "Secluded". Don't forget to bring your own shampoo or you'll have to get a taxi to drive to the nearest town to get it.
If you're under 60, you'll probably feel like a naughty teenager there.
Read the reviews, took a gamble, vacation wasted.
Never Again!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 3, 2008

I just returned from the coconut palms, and it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. To be perfectly honest the resort is not in pristine shape, but you have to realize you are in a small very poor country. If you are looking for the Hilton go pay 3x as much in another resort, and stay out of my way. The food in the resort was good, and well priced. The staff was by far the friendliest i have stayed with, and the beer is cheap. We met some great people (fellow guests) and had a great week. One evening we decided to spend a relaxing night on the beach with a few good friends and a few beers. The only hting missing was fire. The security guard came down and offered to build us one. I have never seen a staff more eager to please. If there is any problem with the room service or anything at all the people will immediatly fix it 24/7

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dave720166
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Resort nicely arranged around pool. Good bar, friendly staff. Free wireless around pool, free billiards, good generous restaurant.
Great semi-private beach, nice sand, nice waves for bobbing, with good food and drinks in nice little palapa bar(mmm pina colada served in the pinapple). Even when we were staying at another resort, we came to this beach for the day.

Clean older facility in reasonably good shape. Bed hard, terrible tv, plastic-covered couches.
Noisy area... roosters from about 2am on, dogs barking, surprising loud road noise since it is set up away from the road, noisy staff in early morning.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple