“The best birthday EVER!”

Coconut Palms Resort
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
San Antonio, Texas
“The best birthday EVER!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I went to stay at the coconut palms August 18-25 of this year with three friends for my birthday. From the moment i stepped off the plane i was in love with this beautiful country. We stepped foot onto the beautiful steps of the coconut palms and immediately I had a drink placed in my hand, my bags off my shoulder and several smiling faces (Pablo at front desk.) The staff was so helpful especially Ariel at the front desk who helped us with everything from where we could get a good deal on shopping items, to great recommendations for clubs/restaurants; everything a good receptionist should do.

We were able to hang out with, and make friends with many of the security guys including Eddy who was more than helpful and an overall fantastic guy.

We stayed in the 3bd 2bth suite, while one room had a malfunctioning A/C it was tended to immediately. The Tiki bar was great, and at 10pm my friend had a craving for fresh juice and before our eyes Javier made us fresh pineapple juice. Its things like that that make this place great. I had the best time and am returning this December/January. I am both in love with the magnificent people, and the beautiful country. I had tears in my eyes as my plane took off as i didn't want to leave, and couldn't imagine myself being away from this place. I have made life long friends in the DR and have a second home right there at Coconut Palms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank La_Chica_Larimar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
North Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2012

my husband and i went to the resort for honeymoon first not even one drink on the house only if we accept 2 hours of hear about timeshare . in the rooms the tvs was terrible connection no cable very old tvs when we were in the pool nobody offer or ask if we need something and after we tell them the we not wan the timeshare the persons in charge stop talking to us we reserve for 9 days we stay 4 hello to billy..

Room Tip: a room in another hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank michae250325

Travelers are raving about these Cabarete hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

When you arrive at the Santiago Airport ( its less expensive than Puerto Plata)airport and walk outside to meet your designated taxi cab driver (holding a pink card) put your luggage in the trunk yourself, if not, another person who's just waiting there grabs your luggage and does it but then he asks for a tip. They all do but you get a big bang for a buck. All we had was American money but no ones and we ended up giving him $5 US which is a lot for the locals. They were even laughing at us as we drove off in the taxi. So be sure and have a lot of ones - they are good to have every where. It was just a part of the local flavor that seems to give this place the Fantasy Feeling.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay along with another couple who was staying in another room beside ours. The tours are just so much fun it is incredible. Pablo at the front desk got us prices that were less than on the internet.

Most of the staff are very friendly, especially Manuel at the bar and Leonardo (the best waiter) . If something is not to your liking or if you to tlak about the DR in general just ask for Judy the general manager - she is always there or close by. She wa so helpful in many areas.

The food was very good and the pool was very nice. We especially liked the fact that one could sit under the palm trees by the poolside and not have to stay in the direct sun. We noticed that an older crowd seemed to frequent the Coconut Palms.

You could easily sit by the poolside all day and relax without having to deal with noise and heavy partying. We also liked that fact that there were shuttle buses three times a day from our resort to the two main little towns of Sosua and Cabarete. The shuttle buses also came and picked you up at specific times from these towns.

Our rooms were spacious and clean and there was a nice breeze at night so we didn't have trouble sleeping. The only thing was the noise from the Tiki Bar which is somewhat bothersome if you are a light sleeper. Our friends who were in the unit beside ours heard no noise at all. I guess if you are staying in one of the units closer to the Tiki Bar, it probably could be a problem or maybe you would just have to party.

We also went many times to the resort's private beach by Tuk Tuk or by foot-(10 minute walk). It was enjoyable and relaxing . We were able to walk along the beach for miles without being bothered and there's a little restaurant where you can enjoy cheap drinks and lunch.

We ended up not taking the meal plan although may people did. It's a matter of choice I guess. The barbecue buffet on Wednesday is simply amazing!

There are many excellent little restaurants in Cabarete. And the prices for meals are very cheap compared to our North American standards.

Although the beach in Sosua is nice, the one in Cabarete is without a doubt longer and nicer. The palm trees along the beach and the kite/windsurfing in the bay are pretty cool. The Encountro Beach at the hotel is superb for the athletic windsurfing type .which I am not but it is a great place to relax and watch the others.

We ate at the Jose O'Shays restaurant in Cabarete...excellent ...and we ate our best meal of the week at the Waterfront Restaurant in Sosua. It's a little bit more expensive but it's in a class all its own.

The weather throughout the week was perfect and when it rained, it usually occurred during the night or for a few minutes during the day.

Our friends who travel regularly and have been to many resorts through they timeshare company say that they would definitely come back and so would we.

All in all, our trip was pleasant and we will definitely be returning to the Coconut Palms resort! It was my fantasy Island and I had waited years to do this.

Room Tip: For the views just ask Pablo for the Beach Front about half of the units.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank George R
massachuseeess
Reviewed July 23, 2012

the resort was excellent. villa size was great, would have liked full central air but the air in the bedrooms did cool down the villa. the pool was a great size, we had a dew volley ball games through out the week, the four of us cant play but we had a good time pretending! bar had an excellent happy hour two for one prices on many drinks; our girls took full advantage! the staff was excellent, went above and beyond at every step of the way. most staff spoke full english, but it was fun for the girls to speak spanish! and it helped because our house keeper did not speak english
cabarete is a great town, there is this little bar behind "iguana mama" called "the lazy dog" they are a new business not on trip advisor yet but they had great food and bar specials! sosua was also a good town!
airport ride was quick!
highly recommend this resort, its not five stars but the quality is there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cathayyy
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Like most of the other reviews, I have to say that the staff (especially Luis - does he ever go home) is just wonderful. After only a couple of days we felt like this was home and St.Louis was in a foreign country. The staff and the other guests just make the place. Most every evening we would all take advantage of Happy Hour at the Tiki Bar and share what we had discovered about the Dominican Republic with the other guests. Unlike that last review we didn't see any critters since they said they saw 7 different ones - I'm thinking they must have been talking about the timeshare guys- no that couldn't be there weren't that many of them. There were plenty of mosquitoes so just bring some off with you.

Like most of us there we came on a timeshare RCI exchange. I have been an owner for 4 years now and like it so much I bought another one while I was there- it's probably one of the most unique programs that I had seen. If you see Billy tell him that I referred you - I get a bonus! Really unlike the other places I had been, they weren't pushy at al and very helpful,a big change from Mexico. Just a tip - ask Marilyn for an extra voucher for a massage- she is a soft touch. We had bought the same type in Costa Rica 4 years ago and it has been great.

We do a lot of different things this place is 5 star if you are a wind or kite surfer but if you aren't it just doesn't rate that high but then if you would have read trip advisor you would have known that. When I go to a suburban area I look for a get a lot more luxury. Coconut palms like I said earlier was just like being at home with the family on a summer day at the park.

The Dominicans that Nancy and I met were all very friendly and helpful - it seems that most of them speak some english. Beware of the Dominican Drivers - most of them couldn't have a license and they drive crazy Be sure and go on the tour "27 falls" it's wild and the best excursion I've been on.

Have a great trip and tell em Big Joe from St. Louis said Hi.

Room Tip: Seems like everything facing the beach has great views and magnificnt breezes. Since they do have s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank JoeBiondoStl
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The people of Caberete are so friendly and helpful. My husband and I celebrated his birthday here. We are in our early thirty's and enjoy both a quiet relaxing time mixed with a party here and there and some fun activities. We really wanted to like this resort and try to see the best and recognize the beauty beyond the face value. We do realize that we are in a humid climate and a tropical environment. With that being said, I will begin the review.

The Room
Lots of character. Reminds me of an older, realistic dominican home. Very spacious, wood shutters, large balconies, ceiling fans, and very charming. The bad part was that it was infested with roaches. There were roaches inside of the refrigerator and in the bathroom, and all over the kitchen. Also my husband had traveled with 2 pairs of brand new sunglasses, and unfortunately, someone entered the room while we were at dinner on the first night and took a pair. Luckily, he had another pair to wear. We reported it to the front desk, but the person working that night was not very helpful.

The breeze on the 2nd floor is terrific. The bed is somewhat comfortable, but unfortunately, some of the pillows can be a bit musty and smell of mildew. Housekeeping was terrific and came to service the room daily with new towels.

The Grounds
The grounds are very pretty and have lots of charm and character. Once again, the only downside is that we saw at least 7 different rats on one occasion at the same area near the tiki bar. Also, when we went to the pool, we were given 2 beach towels. We were thankful to have them, but unfortunately, one of the towels had a huge, fresh, blood stain about the size of a half dollar (USD)

The Beach
We walked about 10 minutes to the beach. It is very pretty and makes for great pictures, however, it is extremely rocky and my husband bruised his arm while trying to swim. Definitely not a beach for a beginner swimmer.

The Food
We didn't order the meal plan, because we wanted to try some of the local flavor in Caberete and Sosua. We ate in the Resort restaurant a few times and the food at the resort is excellent. We enjoyed every meal. Some favorites in the city of Caberete is Sandros and Gordito's. We also loved the food at Jasmine Spa (but will do a separate review for that all together). The fish fry was the best meal by far of our entire trip. Definitely a must eat. We ate there twice during our stay, and truthfully, I could have eaten there everyday!

The Activities
We left the resort almost everyday, since there wasn't much to do other than swim in the pool, or play pool in the internet room (free internet, with 1 terminal). We caught the "gua gua" into town and didn't have any problems. The resort does offer a free shuttle into Caberete Tuesday - Thursday. One night, they did have a magic show that was pretty cool, and also had a talented 1 man band that we enjoyed. The activities director also told us that we would be going to a Sousua nightclub. When we arrived to take the shuttle, he surprisingly forgot to mention that it was $10 per person for the shuttle, so we passed.

We signed up for the Safari tour for $45 per person, paid in cash, was told to be in the lobby by 7:15am, set our alarm for 6:15am, got ready, went down to the lobby early, said good morning to the front desk attendant, sat in the lobby and waited, and waited and waited. By 7:45am, we went back to the front desk to see where the taxi was, and they nonchalantly told us that they canceled the excursion because not enough people signed up for it. Umm....why didn't anyone tell us. We were just sitting there the entire time waiting.

Last Day!
Be very careful with the gas stove. We had to call the front desk because our pilot would only work on a sometime basis. To make a long story short, I was attempting to light it and it literally blew up in my face. Thank God the pilot cover was there and protected me. I did end up with pretty serious burns on 2 of my fingers.

To sum up, even throughout the entire ordeal, we still enjoyed ourselves and it's really what you make it. We were there May 26th - June 2nd.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor and always felt a nice breeze.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank md_ocr
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We were fortunate to be able to change a week of our time share to go to Cabarete. The hotel is situated on a hill about ten minutes walk from the beach which has nothing to compare with the beaches of Antiuga. After a long hassle regarding our reservation we were given a pleasant, clean if not dark apartment on the 3rd floor with a lovely view of the bay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was great for swimming, even if the ladder for getting in and out was broken. Food at the restaurant was good. Would consider this hotel ideal for families or those looking for water sport activities.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple