“Amazing, quiet, best location on the Caberete beach, service with a huge smile.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Velero Beach Resort

and 1 more site!
Velero Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2010

We have just got back from an amazing week in October from Cabarete, staying at the fantastic Velero Beach Resort. I have written very few reviews but found that this one was necessary.
Second stay at the Velero in the last 12 months.
If you are tired of the all Inclusive Resorts, but want a very quite relaxing, high quality prime location, this is the place.
If you want crowds, noisy all night parties, try elsewhere.
It has only around 60 rooms, so you definitely do not feel crowded. All the rooms and suites face the pool and the Ocean. The Velero Beach Resort is located right on one of the nicest beaches in the world.
The infinity Pool is only a couple steps from the beach.
Beach is nice and safe for swimming. The pool has canopy lounge beds beside the beach for a touch of class at no charge. Most resorts that have them seem to charge $50 and up to use them.
Excellent restaurant and bar located right on the property, beside the beach with fantastic and quick service and with the view and breeze.
Nice size supermarket located just outside the main entrance.
We stayed in one of the Suites. They easily have the feeling of class.
I have been to the Puert Plata, Cabarete area over 22 times in the last five years, and the suites will easily match or exceed the quality of any suites of the 5 star resorts in the D.R. that we have stayed at.
When you check in here you will find immediately your every day problems and worries will start to disappear.
Security was excellent, helpful and polite, always there but not noticeable, which gives a nice peaceful feeling. Being a smaller resort, the staff and security get to know all the customers, and gives that comfortable feeling.
Front desk staff very helpful, and quick to get to us any information that we needed.
Room phones service was very good, with messages actually getting to me. Both are a rarity even in most of the All Inclusive in the D.R.
Located near the far end of the world famous Cabarete beach, but just a couple minutes walk to the famous beach restaurant area, as well as the plentiful restaurants on the main street of Cabarete.
Private gated parking on premises with 24 hour security.
Special thanks from a couple of very happy customers, who are already planning to return to the Velero after Christmas, to the Operations manager Diana Tremblay who always had a smile, and could be seen checking on her customers welfare at all hours of the day and night.
I felt the price seems low compared other quality Resorts and Hotels, for what you receive when you stay here.
The only complaint I have is that because of the past slow tourist season in the D.R. the local vendors are the most aggressive that I have seen over the years. The few beach vendors that went by were no problem. Most stay down in the main street beach area. But if you were in their place you would have to survive to. Just be polite and say no and most will accept that.
Enjoy the D.R. and its beautiful people.
G Lahey and Friends

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rockymtn51_10
kingofbanff, Owner at Velero Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
We, the team at Velero, want to express our gratitude for the time you spent in writing this review. As a small hotel, marketing to an international clientele is challenging. We have been amazed at the number of our guests who booked with us because of reviews just like yours.

So essentially you are our marketing team as well as a valued guest!

When you want a break from your beautiful mountains in Vancouver we hope to see you again.

The Velero Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Radlett, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

We spent 3 weeks travelling the Dominican Republic in a jeep with sons aged 12 and 22 and stayed in 6 different locations - the Velero Beach Resort was our first stop and by far our favourite hotel (followed by the Bahia in Samana) - in fact we returned here for our fifth stop because we missed the tranquility, the beautiful location and the pure magic of the place. First time round we had a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite with terrace with fabulous view of the sea and the sunsets - the rooms are great for the Dominican Republic (do not expect 5* luxury in this country!!) - TV had US and English channels, aircon worked, clean, bright and spacious, very nice staff) - second visit there was a bit of a mix up with our booking but it all came right in the end - all down to Diane the manager - many thanks Diane for everything you sorted out for us including a poolside pedicure for me (now that's a first!!).

The hotel is small; 3 floors set in a crescent shape - all rooms are sea facing with wonderful gardens beautifully manicured and an infinity pool that overlooks the beach. The waterside restaurant serves a great breakfast cooked to order (and believe me - if you stay at the usual tourist all-inclusives in the Dom Rep you will relish a fresh breakfast, eggs to order, fresh fruits etc) - lunch can be ordered pool side and dinner - well the sunsets were to die for and the tuna steak one of the best we've ever eaten.
Janet's is a decent supermarket (a rarity in the Dom Rep) and only 2 minutes walk away, if you fancy stocking up your fridge or doing a little cooking (we didn't cook but the suites have proper kitchenettes if you fancy it). AND - you have 24 hour a day internet for free - we didn't find this service free anywhere else in the Dom Rep.
The Velero Beach is at the quiet end of Cabarete - 5 or 6 minutes walk down the beach will take you into the hub of this small, funky, hip resort with an assortment of bars and restaurants all beachfront - breakfast or dinner with the sand between your toes was pretty special. Plenty of places in Cabarete to book your tourist trips, jungle safaris or scuba if you're not travelling independently and the ATM's work just fine.
Walking home down the beach every night in the dark is just not a problem (take a torch) and we never encountered any problems in the Dom Rep during our 2000 km journey.
If you like the all inclusive concept full of drunken brits with tattoos, then the Velero Beach is not for you - if you are after tranquility, beauty surroundings, excellent service and a place that feels like it's yours alone then you will love the Velero Beach. Just don't tell everyone!

2 Thank londonbunny
Juneau, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

Great Hotel. Peaceful, well maintained grounds. Excellent hotel staff, fluent in English. Excellent security. Pool was great. Walking the beach and body surfing. Penthouse was nice and roomy, plenty of room for family games at night. You can by as busy as you want with activities [wind water sports dominate especially kite surfing, excellent horseback riding on the beach] or just hang out at the well maintained facilities. Janet's supermarket is one block away. Plenty of dining options within easy walking distance, including one right at Velero. Velero is an easy place to recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank oldfarmers
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I have been fortunate to travel to over 50 countries. Some for business but mainly for fun. We are not "beach" people. We have a 10 month old daughter, so we were looking for something easy and relaxing. Velero was recommended, so we decided to try it out. Everything far exceeded our expectations. Velero was super clean, great rooms, amazing views, nice staff, etc. Easy walk to the bars and restaurants on the beach. Great kite surfing. It was also super safe. 24 hour security in and around the resort. Their was a guard on the wall all night long (we checked). They took care of our needs without us having to ask. An example: Diane, the general manager, noticed we had a 10 month old baby and they had a crib setup next to the cabana, every day. Great customer service!!!

Also, Cabarete is a great town, good people, lots of great restaurants/bars and very safe. We would recommend this anyone who wanted a fun and relaxing vacation.

3 Thank befird
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

My Husband and I just came back from Velero Resort for our wedding in Cabarete, on the north cost of Dominican Republic. This was our third trip to this area and I can say that we are fairly well familiar with the entire area, specially the hotels and restaurants. Velero was recommended to us by our wedding planner and it was an amazing choice. We had 35 of our family members and friends stay there for about a week. The hotel is right on the ocean, with large and beautiful grounds, including an infinity pool, that sits practically on the Ocean. The beach in front of the hotel almost feels like a private beach since there is not much traffic to the east side of the main town. Yet its only about a 10 minutes walk to all the action, food, shops, and clubs from the hotel. That is a huge advantage since its nice and quiet and you wont really need to cab it to the town; its a nice walk on the beach, anyways.

The rooms are absolutely great, the grounds are very well maintained and clean, and the restaurant has good food and service. We ate breakfast on tables facing the ocean almost everyday. The pool side service is also great. But one thing that sets Velero apart is its people. Cabarate in general has very good people, and they are kind and nice to the tourists. But the people in Velero just go above and way beyond the call of duty to take care of their guests. This includes the people who provided the room service, to those who work at the front desk, and the shop and restaurant. The hotel manager, Diane, was truly an angel and she did absolutely everything possible to make the stay for us and every one of our guests wonderful. Thank you so much Diane and your very kind and hardworking staff.

If you are thinking of going to the North Cost of DR, this is a terrific and rather exclusive resort in the Cabarate area. Its just perfect for couple getaway trips and family gatherings.

3 Thank Juliazh
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

My hubby, brother and I stayed at Velero at the end of July. The hotel was beautiful, clean, and modern. We shared a superior suite which is perfect for 2 couples wishing to be together, yet have privacy. We shared an outside door, with a small entry that led to both our rooms, next door to each other. we were able to leave our internal doors open and my brother could come in and share our kitchen and hang out in our living area. but our bedroom, had doors so we could shower and being in our room with privacy. we both had patios over looking the pool and ocean. the pool's temp is perfect and overlooks the ocean. the restaurant food was ok, but we didn't eat there often. there were covered lounges (really they were beds) over looking the beach, that made me feel like a queen...all I needed was a dominican hunk to serve me grapes ;o). the location was perfect for us...it was a 3-5 min walk to the restaurants and bars along Caberete beach, yet quiet since it wasn't in the middle of all the action. as others have mentioned it was convenient to have Janet's market 2 min away...there was an ATM at the corner of Janet's which was perfect since we didn't bring enough cash....we made quite a few trips to the atm during our 7 day stay. Only negative I have about the hotel is the bed, it is hard. We like a softer bed and it was hard on my hubby and I.

I did a lot of research about where to stay in the Puerto Plata area....we loved Caberete and I think our choice was perfect. My hubby and bro learned how to kite surf, I felt safe walking down the beach or hanging out by myself. my brother had no issues walking down the beach by himself late at night, the restaurants and night life was great! from what I heard we lucked out with the weather. normally July is a scorcher, but we only had one really hot/humid day. If every day would have been that hot, I'd suggest going at a different part of the year. We got a tip from an insider to check out the La Boca restaurant...a place locals go to at the mouth of the nearby river. it was the best meal we had while in DR, hire a cab and go check it out! ;O) Coco Loco!

last thing, we did the 27 waterfalls tours....i had read mix reviews including how dangerous it is and I was a bit leery. if you like to hike and aren't an overall weenie, you MUST do this tour! when I showed my mom (weenie) the video, she couldn't believe we would do "something so dangerous".....if you have an adventurous spirit and are in ok physical shape do it! it will be one of the highlights of your trip!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank calipicgirl
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

The Velero is a pleasure to stay at. I was in a penthouse room that was beautifully appointed and had all the amenities at my fingertips. It was fully furnished. It had everything I could want from my own private bedroom/ bath, living room/dining room and kitchen. The service at the Velero is superb. The manager Diane was knowledgeable and helpful, the restaurant was obliging and the food delicious, the associates who worked there were friendly and made the stay enjoyable, and the maids kept the room clean and inviting. The grounds are magnificent with beautiful landscaping. I really liked pool area. The covered lounges are special. I had my breakfast delivered there in the mornings and enjoyed eating while looking out at the early morning ocean view. The location of the Velero is wonderful. It is walking distance to everything I neede; grocery, bank, shops and drugstore. Also, it is a short walk down the beach in the evening to the great beachfront restaurants and clubs. I could eat at Miro every night and Otro Cosa is one of the best restaurants in the Carribean and it is located just steps from the Velero.
What I liked best is that when staying at the Velero you can have a quiet stay on site or you can travel just a short way down the beach for all the food and nightlife you could want. I felt completely safe on the well patrolled beaches too. I liked that the Velero also had an excersize facilty on sight and a gift shop/sundry store open all night for late night needs.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo