“Great resort!”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
Connecticut
“Great resort!”
Reviewed November 13, 2008

We just returned from a week stay at the Velero Beach Resort. It was great. Having never been to the DR, I had some questions before traveling there that I will answer here in case anyone has the same ones! When we arrived at the airport we were last off the plane b/c we had a baby carseat to take out. Despite this and the plane being full, there were no lines to get through customs. We were charged $10 US per person including our 4 month old baby. I had emailed Velero the day before our trip to arrange taxi pickup, so someone was waiting there for us with a sign. It wasnt the driver, so we felt that we should tip him for helping with the bags. The cost of the taxi to Velero was $35 US and took about 20 minutes. Check-in was easy, we had a ground floor room- a superior suite. You can see the floorplans on the Velero website. We had a kitchen but no oven. There was a stovetop and microwave. I showered upon arrival and a lot of water went out onto the floor. My husband went to the frontdesk to request more towels, the towels were delivered to my room before he even got back! Most nights the power would go out for a brief time, so the clocks were always blinking- so dont set the clock for a wakeup time, since it most likely wont alarm when you wanted it to. One night we werent able to open the safe, we went to the frontdesk and were told they couldnt open it until morning. We went out again in the morning and 2 women came to the room and opened it. They said that sometimes that happens with the safes when the power goes out. Electrical outlets are the same in the DR as the US. We couldnt figure out the phone in our room to call friends of ours also staying at the Velero and when my husband told the woman at the frontdesk this, she didnt seem to care and offered no suggestions or help. That was the only negative experience we had with any of the people at the Velero. My husand surfed every morning at Playa Encuentro? about 20 minutes away. Someone who works at Velero would drive him and his friend there each morning, hang out and then drive them home. My husband paid him, so it wasnt through the Velero, the guy just did it on his own. There was always a guard at the front entrance as well as one by the beach. The one by the beach would come quickly to help if he saw you trying to open an umbrella at the pool. The maids always worked in teams, so from what we could see, no one was ever alone in our room. We shopped at the supermarket Janets- I heard it is the largest in Cabarete, but definitely not a selection like we are used to in the US. We exchanged money there as suggested by reviews here. There is an ATM there, at night a guard is there with what looks to me like a shotgun. The entire time I only saw one mosquito in our room. When we would eat at a restaurant on the beach at night, we would get a few bites. I did not see an iron in our room. There was a hairdryer. Also shampoo and a liquid soap dispenser were in the shower. There are 2 computers to check your email for free- they are upstairs from the lobby in the conference room. We also did check our email once at the internet place across from Janets- no a/c though, but cheap, I think it was 35 pesos for 30 minutes. We saw a newer interent cafe in town that had a/c. There was about a 24 hour period with no hot water, the gas was out, so the stovetop wasnt working either. Checkout is 1 pm. We ate at a few of the restaurants on the beach. If you walk onto the beach from the hotel, turn left, they are about a 5 minute walk. Cafe Pitu had very slow service, food was pretty good. Onnos was good for and the least expensive we thought. We ate one lunch at Sondro's, which is on the street, so loud. It is more of a local place and my husband found an already eaten olive - the pit - in his dish! The frontdesk called a cab for us to get back to the airport. Checkout went smoothly. When we arrived at the airport a group of porters were there to help with bags. My husband paid the cab driver but wanted to get change, the cab driver said he had none as did all the porters, which we found hard to believe since they get tips all day. We just went along with it, rather then argue, so th cab driver got a huge tip. Two porters helped us, mu husband handed them a tip when we got to the counter and one said "thats all you are giving me?" We flew Jetblue and the counter agent charged us $12 US to enter our baby's info in the computer he said. We had never heard of anything like this before. And then he had no change either. My husband ran over to one of the shops for change. We had read on TA that you are charged $20 US to leave the country but we werent, so we were glad about that. There are duty free shops and a restaurant when you walk into the airport, but wait until you get upstairs of you want to eat something, the ones up there look better.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank ltblmr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dallas
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I returned from the Velero on the Dominican Republic's north coast yesterday, November 11, 2008. My ten day vacation here was wonderful. The service, accomodations, view, and location were fantastic. Although I only speak English, the staff at the front desk, and the restaurant spoke English and this made my stay very pleasurable and accomodating. The young man that assisted me most mornings with breakast (overlooking the ocean) also knows some German and French. The pool has a vanishing edge and sits directly on the beachfront. The grounds are very clean and the hotel is located and built to provide tranquility, security, and peacefulness. A local supermarket is a two to three minute walk and I believe it is the largest in Cabarete. My fellow travelers and I played golf, fished, sunbathed, and enjoyed many wonderful meals. As you leave the property, an assortment of approximately ten or fifteen beachfront restaurants and nightclubs are within a ten minute walk down the beach. If you have questions about this hotel, please feel free to contact me at bill@brick.com. This is my work e-mail, but the one that I check most frequently.

Stayed November 2008
3 Thank willie2008
Vermont
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We've been traveling to the DR for over 20 years. We have stayed in many different areas of the island and once spent five months living in Santiago. When we wished to visit beaches, Cabarete was the spot that always intrigued us. We'd walk the miles of pristine beaches every day for our exercise. We made note of the empty property where the Velero Beach Resort stands today. It was (is) right on the beach and the perfect place to build a resort. Years later, we saw what we had dreamed about come into being. It looked every bit as good as we imagined it would! Our first visit in 2006 was a revelation. The property and staff are first-rate and the views from any point of the resort are breathtaking. Our initial visit lasted two weeks and the three of us had a spectacular time that included exceptional weather. We have booked this year (2008) for three weeks and expect to be just as pleased as before. There are many restaurants in the immediate vicinity, and only a quick walk on the beach from our rooms, but the resort restaurant is too good to pass up. We enjoy renting one of the many suites that includes a full kitchen. One of us loves to cook and the daily shopping done mostly at "Janet's" supermercado (a three minute walk away) affords us fresh foods to purchase. When we feel like a dinner out, we now realize that the resort restaurant is the place to eat. We have experienced one delicious dinner after another with a variety of good wines or beer to choose from the menu. No crowds, seated overlooking the sea, and pampered by the chef/bartender, Wilfredo! What could be better? This trio from Vermont is eager to relive the good life at Velero Beach. The resort knows how to cater to their guests and they leave very little to chance.

• Liked — attentive staff, views of the ocean, access to the beach, security, comfortable accommodations, clean rooms, access to free internet, excellent restaurant on property, very good full kitchen, private bathrooms, 24/7 electricity, attractive, helpful, and friendly staff
  • Disliked — it is as good as it gets!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank VTTravelers3
Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2008

We have stayed at Velero five times now. We typically get a two bedroom suite on the third floor. Very nice and helpful staff. Great location. Attractive pool and nice cute restaurant on the water. Great prices for the value! Cabarete is our family's favorite somewhat undiscovered gem.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Traveler40
Downingtown, Pennsylvania, Usa
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Good friends who own property on Dominican Republic highly recommend Velero Beach and we were not disappointed. Great location at end of Cabarete Beach provides access to beach amenities with ability to return to serenity of the hotel property. Pool is located right at beach side and view of ocean is outstanding. Staff was also outstanding and was very responsive to our needs, including a special anniversary dinner served on the beach!!!!!
Great places to eat nearby (italian, french, etc.) and within walking distance.
If you love the beach and surf, you will love Cabarete and Velero Beach.
During our stay, the world championship of kite boarding was taking place at Carabete Beach and the sky was filled with kites and colors.

• Liked — Service, location and value (price)
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alindtown
Nantucket, MA
Reviewed August 21, 2008

My wife and I have stayed here many times and find it the best spot in Caberete.The attention to detail is tops. The service is the best . The pool and deck area have spectacular views and are just set back enough to be serene. Secure parking and an easy walk to the nightlife of the beach. We just keep coming back.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank acksmoker
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 16, 2008

An absolutely wonderful, full service hotel on the shores of the Carribean. Overlooking beautiful beaches, kite/board surfing, niteclubs just down the beach, the little town a short stroll up the road, was perfect for me. I was even adopted by the Valero mascot, Scoobie the dog, a mutt that rules the beach and befriends anyone that's willing to pet him and throw him a stick to retrieve. The Valero is truly a gem of the Ocean... I couldn't find anything to dislike... I'll be back, for sure. Next time with dog bisquits.

• Liked — Location, amenities
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike, truly
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo