“Wonderful Hotel, excellent value”

Velero Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
JC,NJ
“Wonderful Hotel, excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in a very nice two bedroom suite. The room was very clean with nice amenities, including a full kitchen, cable TV (With NY stations), a/c, ceiling fans, etc. The staff is very accommodating. The infinity edged pool is a nice place to relax with a hammock and several day beds. The location on the point offers nice views of Cabarete and it is a short but nice distance from bustling center of town. The value was exceptional, $200 a night for a large two bedroom suite. The free wifi was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: all the rooms face the ocean but the views are better from the 2nd and 3rd floors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rtala34

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My usual trips to the Caribbean are to either all inclusive or larger resorts. Based on seeing Cabarete on House Hunters International, we decided to try a new destination. In searching for a hotel, reviews everywhere pointed us to the Velero Beach Resort. While I was not thrilled with Cabarete in general, Velero Beach Resort was an amazing place.

Room - Traveling with 2 teen boys, we seek suite accommodations. Velero excelled in this regard. We had a 2 bedroom Superior Suite. It was nice to have the kitchen area, but we didn't use it for prepping food, only keeping drinks cold and heating leftovers for lunch occasionally. Just a few hundred feet down the road is Janet's Supermarket where you can buy drinks, snacks, and if you are inclined to cook, everything you need to make a meal. The room's kitchen did have a blender if you want to make icy drinks. The rooms were very clean and had gorgeous ocean views. For just a few dollars, you can have a 5 gallon bottle of water with a pump brought to your room for clean drinking water. There was a pitcher in the kitchen that we kept filled for cold water. We did bring sport bottles along so that we could take water with us to the pool and on excursions.

Restaurant - Quite often, we didn't feel like walking into town for what was essentially pub food, so we had many meals in the restaurant. It has a great location right on the ocean and the food was pretty good. The servers were very friendly. I did break away for breakfast a few times to Dick's Bakery in town, and that is highly recommended. If you want their pastries and don't feel like the walk, get to Janet's around 9:00 AM. They deliver fresh pastries there every morning. On my last day, the ladies at Dick's remembered that I was leaving that afternoon and gave me a plate of pastries to take with me.

Pool - I love a relaxing vacation of sitting by the pool or beach, reading a good book, and enjoying local beverages. Velero's pool is perfect for this! The combination of the infinity pool, the bar/restaurant just steps away (and good presence from the wait staff whenever you seemed to need them at the pool), and the views of the ocean made for a wonderfully relaxing week. It was very hot, so often, many of us staying at the resort would just hang out in the pool talking and enjoying drinks. If you have young children, be aware that once you leave the wide steps, the pool is instantly deep. No shallow end. Be sure to find out what the special drink is each day. They are usually very good.

Security - top notch. With security staff always present at the entrance and one patrolling the wall at the beach, I was always comfortable that the property was very secure.

Staff - everyone was very friendly, and everyone that we encountered spoke English very well. Carla at the front desk at night, the housekeeping staff, Andres (our wonderful regular waiter), Diane (the overall manager of the property), and of course Scooby (the resident dog and official member of the security staff - ask to see the article about him in Bark magazine).

Extras - if you need money changed, they can call the bank and have someone deliver money at a reasonble exchange rate. There is a Scotia bank ATM with a guard just a short way into town. For some reason, the ATM right outside Janet's didn't seem to work with my card. Maybe a different network than my bank.

I would love to find a resort like the Velero in other Caribbean locations!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank travelask
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Was spoiled by the generous attentive staff, stunning views from every room, and convenient location of this beach front hotel. My daughter and I could not have been happier. In fact we have moved to a different hotel midway through our nine day trip and may have to change again because our expectations have been raised by our stay at Velero! Thanks to Diane, Carla, Omar and everyone at Velero!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DeeDCee
Semmes, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

As we drove down the streets of Cabarete, I was nervous. It was an extremely poor area, and I was wondering "is this where I want to spend my honeymoon?" & YES. It was. As soon as we entered the Velero property, we were greeted by friendly staff members.
Our room was amazing. It overlooked the pool, beach, and was right near the restaurant. Everything was impecible. The room was clean, the pool was nice, and our views of kite beach were incredible. We watched the sunset from the pool or our room every evening.
The restaurant is nice, but a bit pricey. However, most places right on the beach are more expensive, so I really have no complaints.
The breakfast was more than I ever expected. It wasnt your typical "bagel, waffle or cereal". I had the french toast most mornings, and my husband really enjoyed his breakfast burrito.
Most days we walked down the beach to delve into the town of Cabarete. I highly recommend Cabaha for lunch, or a casual dinner. Ask the front desk staff about Bliss. It wasnt typical Dominican fare, but it was excellent. & the service was top notch.
I cannot say enough good things about the Velero. I am so happy we decided not to go the "all-inclusive" route, and were able to get out into the town.

I also highly recommend checking out Iguana Mama tours. We did full day tours with Iguana Mama 3 out of the 5 days we were in Cabarete and couldnt have been happier. ((We wish we would have stayed our whole honeymoon here, instead of traveling to Punta Cana))

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Whitney N
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I had never been to Cabarete before and chose Velero based on these reviews. The hotel was IMMACULATE and I am a bit picky. What you get for the price is a really good deal. The room was spotless. I had trouble with the shower the first day and it was fixed within 4 hours.

The staff is great - Diane, Andres and Frank were all super nice and made you feel like family.

I cant say enough what a great time I had and i will definitely be back.

Thank you Velero!!!!!

Room Tip: All the room had wonderful views from what i could see
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank willd49
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I can’t even begin to sing enough praise for this place. We wanted to have a wedding in Cabarete. We had never been there, but with it being the adventure capitol of the DR it sounded like a nice location for us. After reading some really great reviews for the Velero, I emailed them to ask if they organized weddings. They do not, but Diane the manager gave me the name of a very talented wedding coordinator in the area (who we hired to plan our wedding). This began our wonderful relationship with the Velero.

The wedding was awesome and everything was just perfect and the Velero was there to help us with anything we needed along the way. Diane was very helpful in arranging rooms and special accommodations for everyone before the wedding. We even had guests who had booked a room in Puerto Plata, but after driving in the DR realized they wanted to be closer to the wedding activities and the Velero happily accommodated them with no notice. The property itself is really beautiful and the room (a junior suite) was very nice and exactly what we needed for our 10 days in Cabarete. It was very convenient to have a kitchen (I love to cook) and we are able to have breakfasts and dinners in our room and the housekeeping staff always did our dishes (we became very spoiled). The pool area is also a really great place to relax with nice ocean views and those super comfy beds + the bar takes really good care of you.

Besides the Velero being very nice, super close to a grocery store, great views…they really excel at customer service. All the staff was extremely gracious towards us and our guests that stayed at the Velero and even to the guests who came to visit who were not staying at the Velero. They helped us with many of our wedding needs and everything else (arranging shuttles for guests from/to the airport and excursions, getting stuff to our wedding coordinator, and telling us to relax and enjoy ourselves). The hotel is also very secure without seeming like you are locked down. I think this is because the staff knows all the guests. We were sad to leave and if we return to Cabarete we would definitely stay at the Velero again.

Room Tip: The junior suite was very nice!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank JENDY709
cali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Friendly staff and good, clean rooms. The restaurant is over priced and has average food. The hotel is the only one we saw in Caberete that had an infinity pool and was right on the beach. The beach is more or less private for the hotel and they had security which is nice.

Our room had a view of the cove which was stunning when the sun set. Parking on site was gated and free. Wifi was free.

Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple